Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gnomes, faeries and elves

trancelikestate

Theres people out there who believe in faeries and other nature spirits. Some people think they inhabit another realm and can come into ours when they want or at certain areas and time, others think they are physical beings. I personally have never seen any, or any evidence of such beings. I'm skeptical about their existence because of this but remain curious at the idea of the hidden spirits.

I was wandering if any of you have had any experiences to share?

Nope. Never have.

It is a nice fantasy to indulge in but quite another to try and pass it off to others as real.

Never seen one, don't expect to.

Never seen one, but would like to.

• Like 1

One time, when I was about 6 year olds I saw a Gnome. My Mother quiet quickly corrected me saying:

"Son, he is not a Gnome, he is a little person. People are different and some people are born to grow little"

So that being said... Nope never seen them..

• Like 1

My Grandmother swore she'd seen them in the old country.. I've looked into the myths and ledgends of them myself and found it fascinating how old legends and lores regarding the Fairy folk bridged languages and countries.. Never seen one myself. but crazy as it may sound, I'm not willing to dismiss them as a fancy.

https://www.youtube....h?v=uMJKhY_TRDA

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

Fairies are true beings not just fantasy. I have seen one once in a garden where flowers bloomed up through winter snow. They clearly interact with the very real flowers and so are physical beings. Their existence is no more bizarre or obsurd than belief in ghosts, dark energy (physics term), or belief in any place on earth you have never personally visitted. Don't be close minded. Most mythology is based on fact at some level.

• Like 2

I know nothing of the sort, but that being said, I cannot say they absolutely do not exist, as that is just as ignorant a statement as saying they absolutely do. I have however been told that when my great grandmother lived in Amesbury, Mass(long dead to hear the accounts from directly) insisted that a gnome lived by her house in the brush, she claims it approached her on many occasions and she would often leave food for it on her steps, only a few times could she say she actually saw him take the food but it was always gone in the morning(could have been anything that took it, obviously.) just recounting what I've been told.

Don't know 'bout Gnomes and Elves, but I've seen plenty of Fairies in San Francisco.

• Like 4

Don't know 'bout Gnomes and Elves, but I've seen plenty of Fairies in San Francisco.

i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg?w=442

• Like 1

My Grandmother swore she'd seen them in the old country.. I've looked into the myths and ledgends of them myself and found it fascinating how old legends and lores regarding the Fairy folk bridged languages and countries.. Never seen one myself. but crazy as it may sound, I'm not willing to dismiss them as a fancy.

https://www.youtube....h?v=uMJKhY_TRDA

I find it interesting that alot of older people claim to have had SEEN them. Makes me wonder if they are telling the truth and if so why there are less sightings now? Or if its a matter of physcology due to a more superstitious mindset or are old people just plain liars and take amusement in telling us younger people such stories

I find it interesting that alot of older people claim to have had SEEN them. Makes me wonder if they are telling the truth and if so why there are less sightings now? Or if its a matter of physcology due to a more superstitious mindset or are old people just plain liars and take amusement in telling us younger people such stories

I guess there's a lot that can be read into that.

Perhaps fairies and the like were more popular back then, kind of like a fad of the day..

Edited to add: & perhaps people were less likely to be thrown into the Loony Bin for stating that they saw Faries back in the day compared to now.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

I found a 1991 thread here titled "little people" that you might find interesting. I lived on Guam for 6 years, and there's a strong belief in little people, or "duendes". I went to an art exhibit by local artists on duendes, and the representations all looked like the gnomes & leprechauns from Ireland: peaked stocking cap, wide belt with big belt buckle, etc. When my grandson was little, everytime he left to spend the night somewhere, he got sick and ended up back home. It wasn't until his parents made him go outside & explain to the duendes where he was going and that he would be back that he could leave without getting sick. My son, who managed a Denny's, said at night in the restaurant, he would hear children laughing, food inventory would be pushed off the storage shelves, and once he watched a chair move clear across the restaurant on its own. Apparently the restaurant was built right in the middle of a path the ancient ones would take to get to the ocean, which is how the locals accounted tor the paranormal phenomena. While I never saw any duendes, often, in the morning, when the front door was opened, a swarm of shadows no bigger than 12" appeared to be coming into the house.

I have a friend who often sees fairies & angels, I don't see them, I see other things, but if she can take my word for what I see then I can take her word for what she sees. It's my experience that the world is far more complex and filled with far more things than what can be seen or experience by most people, and I feel privileged to catch a glimpse of it every now & then. Fortunately, I know people who share these experiences, so we can talk with each other comfortably.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 3

I guess there's a lot that can be read into that.

Perhaps fairies and the like were more popular back then, kind of like a fad of the day..

Edited to add: & perhaps people were less likely to be thrown into the Loony Bin for stating that they saw Faries back in the day compared to now.

I think fairies retreated due to urbanization and thats why they are less populated now... besides noone believes in them. I think with fairies you may have to bdlieve in them... well thats what tinkerbell said anyway....

One of my friends claims to have seen a fairy, it was like june of 2012, so fairly recently... I posted it on this website and was told about the fairy lights... these reminded me of orbs which I have seen.. so I think similar phenomena is regarded as different things around the world... I never saw a fairy, but I believe in them what the hell... I believe in dM near everything else might as well believe in fairies too..

• Like 1

I think they didn't retreat anywhere, they still live where they always have.. I think it is us who have moved away from them.. There's a metaphysical element to fairies, gnomes and the crazy stuff of old that we didn't understand way back then, and understand even less nowadays.. Their lores and way of life is unusual to us almost to the point now of suggesting that they exist in another dimension that is paralell to our own..

*shrugs*

When you look into the history of folk lores of centuries past you find little gems of info that connect across continents and language barriers that make no sense to our modern way of thinking but somehow bridges gaps that shouldn't or couldn't exist at the time of writing.. Tales of changelings comes to mind.. another that's interesting is the tale of Taliesin, which kind of again throws a bit of light into the way of thinking and existing in the old days and what we seem to have lost..

Now I know changelings would have a common psycological element if one compares the lore to post natal depression.. However, that doesn't explain an uncanny common remedy to trick changelings into talking by brewing in Eggshells.. Weird hah, from Ireland to Germany and eastern Europe they were tricking changelings into talking by brewing in Eggshells?

I have, but I don't want to go in to the details, because it involves a joint. Take that as you will.

• Like 2

I saw something fairy-like while I was a child, but then again I've seen alot of weird things.

I spoke with people who saw them.

Thats why at one moment in my life I wanted to become anthropologist. You are kind of mythological being hunter.

There are many mythical beings people spoke they saw in my country.

One being which can only find in Croatia is Orko. Its donkey which travel like a wind in gas form then enter between your legs and pick you up then leave you on another part of land.

People use as explaination for missing time or when they appear on some other place and dont know how they get there.

Anthropologists explain it as male use Orko as excuse when they got drunk and end up in neighbour village with another young woman.

There are others mythological beings which people saw and with whom are spoke with.

Such as vamypres (as in any country close to Balkan and Balkan), unicorns, elves, dwarves(one case-dwarves origin is Germany so in my country they almost dont exist), gnomes, faries.

Werewolves are common. In almost every village old people know someone who saw one, or they personally seen it or even know person who fight with werewolf.

There are other mythological beings people claim to saw. such as More. Something like Nightmare.

And interestingly, warlocks and withces from diffrent towns and villages when want to fight, shapechange into Crows/Raven and then fight in the sky.

In one part of my country one being exist. Which transfrom himself from human into Big White Dog which defend villagers from werewolves, vampyres and wolves.

• Like 1

Personally never seen any. But I wish Im.

Two stories are quite interesting.

More are beings which enter in room as fly trough keyhole.(So people put garlic in it) Then when human start sleeping it starts strangle victim.

One person spoke that Mora in night came and start choking her. In morning she have bruises on her neck.

Other story tells that person who was lost in mountain met two gnomes. One gnome with big yellow pointed hat and other with big red pointed hat. With big beards. They have had rucksack,pots,blankets,ropes like they went on some hiking. He spoke with them and they show him way to part of mountain he knew.

He spent day with them. They eat and drink together. He eat their bread. He tried their tea. He played their game with something like golf club but they hiting young pine cones.

He spoke that they speak with him on Croatian language but when he asked them where are you from and similar they first talked on some language which he describe as unknown language. He said that yellow hat gnome spoke with bird which fly on his hand and that red hat gnome spoke with stones and trees.

One more thing. They were mad and hostile when he first time saw them. He said that they attack him. Wanted to capture him. When he came back home his family instantly called police because they saw marks from fight. Police came and investigate it.

Bruises were mostly on legs and back. Police concluded that they were done with something golf club.

Edited by the L

I think fairies retreated due to urbanization and thats why they are less populated now... besides noone believes in them. I think with fairies you may have to bdlieve in them... well thats what tinkerbell said anyway....

One of my friends claims to have seen a fairy, it was like june of 2012, so fairly recently... I posted it on this website and was told about the fairy lights... these reminded me of orbs which I have seen.. so I think similar phenomena is regarded as different things around the world... I never saw a fairy, but I believe in them what the hell... I believe in dM near everything else might as well believe in fairies too..

There are some places in the world and cultures where magical things happen. Western culture might call it hallucinations or superstition, as if the Western perspective were the only valid one. Ofte we just see whatever we expect to see based on our cultural bias and experiences, and are blind to anything that occurs outside of that norm. I lived in a different culture for six years, and it addition to opening my eyes both literally & figuratively to other cultural experiences & truths, I also gained a lot of insight into my native culture. So now I have a foot in both worlds, and sometimes it's very uncomfortable because some of my "norms" are not the accepted ones in the Western culture I finally returned to.

• Like 1

According to occult lore Gnomes are elemental spirits connected with earth, They are known to be tricksters albeit not really dangerous. Now that being said I personally don't believe in the little people. Not that they don't exist its just that they are not what they claim to be, they are spirits who for our benefit take on classical gnome shape, just like most creatures that people see, like bigfoot, aliens, and lake monsters, all are just spirits playing tricks on us gullible humans

• Like 1

I do believe in the fair folk. And when I spill the salt I always toss a bit over my left shoulder to share.

The death, destruction and technology from World War 2 probably did them in... They said screw this we ain't coming back

Don't believe in faires and stuff like that. If people are seeing them though, then I would think it's more likely they are aliens than spirit beings. To me that just seems like the more plausible of the two unlikely possibilities.

I'm reminded of the Hopkinsville Goblins. (I think that's what they were called)