Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13 Strange U.S. Laws Canadians Should Know

glorybebe

Ok, geared towards Canadians, but I am wondering how many Americans know about these laws?

This is my favourite:

3. Choose Your Shoes Wisely in Cleveland

Who knew that your choice of footwear could cost you big bucks. In Cleveland, Ohio it’s forbidden for women to don patent leather shoes. The reason? The shiny leather could possibly reflect a woman’s – ahem – underwear or private parts for all to see. Canadian fashionistas, take note when selecting your wardrobe’s accessories.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/tips/13-strange-us-laws-canadians-should-know?id=3

They left out the law that states that when a Canadian visits with an American the Canadian must buy the beer...

:whistle:

• Like 5

They left out the law that states that when a Canadian visits with an American the Canadian must buy the beer...

:whistle:

LOL, if I ever make it down there, I will buy you a beer just because....
  • Like 1

I think the UK have their share of old, weird laws, (and plenty of NEW weird laws too!)

All English Men over 14 are meant to carry out 2 hours of longbow practice each weekend supervised by the local clergy.

It is illegal for cab drivers to carry rabid dogs or indeed corpses and by law they must ask each and every passenger if they have small pox or 'The Plague'.

It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

Throughout the whole of England it is illegal to eat mince pies on the 25th of December.

Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.

It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am.

Londoners are not allowed to keep a pigsty in the front of their homes.

It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

....................................................................................

(Just a small sample of UK laws still on the Statute Books.)

BTW, in 1800 the crime of impersonating a Chelsea Pensioner was punishable by death!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 3

I like the Arizona law making it ilegal for women to be in public without shaved legs, or in New York a man can get a $25.00 fine for flirting too hard with a woman and a second offense you have to wear horse blinders.

I think the UK have their share of old, weird laws, (and plenty of NEW weird laws too!)

All English Men over 14 are meant to carry out 2 hours of longbow practice each weekend supervised by the local clergy.

It is illegal for cab drivers to carry rabid dogs or indeed corpses and by law they must ask each and every passenger if they have small pox or 'The Plague'.

It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

Throughout the whole of England it is illegal to eat mince pies on the 25th of December.

Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.

It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am.

Londoners are not allowed to keep a pigsty in the front of their homes.

It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

....................................................................................

(Just a small sample of UK laws still on the Statute Books.)

Actually most of those are probably still good ideas....

Apparently in Novia Scotia it is illegal to water the lawn whilst it is raining.

It is illegal to eat Ice Cream on Bank Street in Ottawa on a Sunday.

http://www.lufa.ca/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=7235

A few more weird Canadian Laws. :tu:

I like the Arizona law making it ilegal for women to be in public without shaved legs, or in New York a man can get a $25.00 fine for flirting too hard with a woman and a second offense you have to wear horse blinders.

could you imagine how many men would be wearing blinders? Wouldn't that be a sight to see? :clap:

• Like 1

Apparently in Novia Scotia it is illegal to water the lawn whilst it is raining.

It is illegal to eat Ice Cream on Bank Street in Ottawa on a Sunday.

http://www.lufa.ca/n...asp?NewsID=7235

A few more weird Canadian Laws. :tu:

It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man
:huh:......BBBWWWAAAAAHHHHAAAA!!!

I knew about this one:

It is illegal to kill a sasquatch.

1. Watch What You Wear in Georgia

By all appearances, it seems that the lawmakers of Albany, Georgia fancy themselves as the fashion police. If your low-slung pants (or skirts, ladies) sit three inches or more below your hips, displaying your underwear or skin, be prepared to cough up a $25 fine. Do it again, and your clothes won’t be the only saggy sight - your wallet’s balance will plummet by $200, too. Pull up your pants; keep your cash.

Now that one should me made law everywhere (but only for guys who think they be 'illin gangsta style). :clap::w00t:

Edited by HawkLord

Now that one should me made law everywhere (but only for guys who think they be 'illin gangsta style). :clap::w00t:

A lot of old laws are still on the books but not usually enforced. Too difficult to change them, I guess ....just look at how long before Congress & Senate can pass anything that's important LOL