Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Did You Learn Today?

sarah_444

1) That my new wax gilet doesn't have waterproof pockets. 

2) That I should have taken out the £40 insurance on my new mobile.

Don't try to drift a 2.0L ford focus with the handbrake on wet grass especially if it's not yours, it's not big or clever....incredible fun though

• Like 1

Boiling water mixed with some washing powder can unblock sinks.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Big Mirk said:

...as can soda crystals quite often!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Big Mirk said:

18 hours ago, sees said:

...as can soda crystals quite often!

True, true! 

Common sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, bicarbonate of soda) can do it too. Use what's cheaper or what you have, for 'lazy' pipes warm water and spoonful of soda, leave for half an hour. For tough blockages boiling water with spoonful of soda, repeatedly, for - if possible - few hours. 

But if it's hair or plastic that got tangled in there (or serious limescale buildup) you'll have to physically extract it. Still the soda will help all the other deposits clear away so you can pull out whatever got in the pipe. 

And if you add some bicarb when washing dishes or clothes, you'll need less detergent (it's completely possible to wash with bicarb only, the only thing missing is perfume which you can substitute with essential oils) and it will prevent blockages and limescale. While not hurting your skin and leaving no poisonous residue. 

And so on and on...  

I just learnt I'm huge fan of bicarb.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

True, true! 

Common sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, bicarbonate of soda) can do it too. Use what's cheaper or what you have, for 'lazy' pipes warm water and spoonful of soda, leave for half an hour. For tough blockages boiling water with spoonful of soda, repeatedly, for - if possible - few hours. 

But if it's hair or plastic that got tangled in there (or serious limescale buildup) you'll have to physically extract it. Still the soda will help all the other deposits clear away so you can pull out whatever got in the pipe. 

And if you add some bicarb when washing dishes or clothes, you'll need less detergent (it's completely possible to wash with bicarb only, the only thing missing is perfume which you can substitute with essential oils) and it will prevent blockages and limescale. While not hurting your skin and leaving no poisonous residue. 

And so on and on...  

Yes!  Soda crystals/sodium carbonate are a water softener, e.g. placed in the final rinse section of a washing machine will do the same job as a fabric conditioner (minus the scent).  It can also be used in the bath (instead of bath cubes) if all you want to do is soften the water (making lathering easier and the bath easier to clean afterwards).

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

Just now, sees said:

Yes!  Soda crystals/sodium carbonate are a water softener, e.g. placed in the final rinse section of a washing machine will do the same job as a fabric conditioner (minus the scent).  It can also be used in the bath (instead of bath cubes) if all you want to do is soften the water (making lathering easier and the bath easier to clean afterwards.

I put some with the detergent, and a lot if it's white that I'm washing. That way it still doesn't even need softener, but I use small amounts because I like the scents of those cancerogenic chemicals.

And I use bicarb for my weekly light peeling. The list of products that could be replaced with common bicarb is so long it makes me wonder just why it was practically forgotten?    

49 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I put some with the detergent, and a lot if it's white that I'm washing. That way it still doesn't even need softener, but I use small amounts because I like the scents of those cancerogenic chemicals.

And I use bicarb for my weekly light peeling. The list of products that could be replaced with common bicarb is so long it makes me wonder just why it was practically forgotten?  

Yes I use some with the washing.  Scents are not required since I have lost my sense of smell but, anyway, favour less chemicals!

Interesting question re. why such common products like bicarb (and vinegar is fantastic in its diverse uses!) have been lost.   Could be that the older generations didn't pass on this knowledge and/or the modern woman being seduced by scents etc! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

True, true! 

And so on and on...  

Well just to be different I like to heat up a block of lard then pour it down the plug hole for my wife as a little surprise for her 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sees said:

Yes I use some with the washing.  Scents are not required since I have lost my sense of smell but, anyway, favour less chemicals!

Interesting question re. why such common products like bicarb (and vinegar is fantastic in its diverse uses!) have been lost.   Could be that the older generations didn't pass on this knowledge and/or the modern woman being seduced by scents etc! 

Seduced by scents and advertisements. If only that was the only brainwashing we allowed... 

I remember asking my grandma why do we use liquid dish soap at all - because we would use bicarb for tough, burnt grease and limescale. She said it's too expensive and it was, in our area. For some reason it was sold only in tiny packages, meant for baking only and bizarrely expensive. And you couldn't always find it... seriously, it was like that over here, back then. 

But now... when I noticed it's relatively cheap now... aaaahhhh... I unleashed my inner bicarb maniac.

It's even good for the plants (most of them, if a plant doesn't like alkaline soil, it won't like bicarb either). Disinfects the leaves and fertilizes the soil. 

The only thing I don't wash with bicarb or with added bicarb are the windows. This is where the vinegar steps in :yes:   

41 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

Well just to be different I like to heat up a block of lard then pour it down the plug hole for my wife as a little surprise for her 

Ha, that reminds me: bicarb is great for removing odours. When, say, a dead husband's body is waiting rolled up in a carpet for a convenient moment to be disposed of, all it takes is 1-2 kg bicarb spread evenly on said body to prevent any stench. (3-4 if the b****** was of the walrus size from all the bacon and beer.) If the good wife forgets to do it and the body does stink up the carpet, she can always wash it with bicarb and warm water.

If bicarb doesn't work instantly (mostly it does), leave it to work (literally for hours if you're fighting kitchen grease deposits or bathroom limescale - don't worry, it won't damage stainless steel or porcelain). 

Bicarb doesn't have to be rinsed out! (Unless the item was dyed with very sensitive colour.) Just let it dry and dust the remaining bicarb out - if you don't want it there. But it can stay and keep doing its magic. You can even sprinkle some dry bicarb on carpet, for example, to keep it slightly disinfected and free of weird smells. 

So, today, we all learnt that it's best not to mention bicarb in front of Helen because she won't shut up for hours :D

Sorry. 

But bicarb is really very useful and it can even unclog your digestion. Did I mention that before? Just a teaspoon of bicarb in a glass of water... *tentacles/hands fight breaks out* 

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

life is full of opportunities... as the saying goes when a door shuts a window open....be optimistic, take the blinders off, and pick yourself when knocked down

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

you ain't going to make money staying in your cozy bed

That it was pretty cool just sitting in the sun getting paid for it 

It seems to be a constant lesson lately to restore my inner equilibrium after I get dealt some wild card! 

I'm getting pretty adept at it now! color.gif

Cats bought up on a farm and left to the're own device's will bite your leg if you happen upon their kittens ouch

612017163918.jpg

I was looking at the videos that my 8 yr old daughter made on her tablet today and i learned that if she is dared to lick the toilet by her big sister...she will do it.

:mellow:

• Like 1

That my girlfriend can change a tire

That i have plenty of 'Peanuts' comics in my house, that i haven't yet read :o

That beads can be made from paper!  In Uganda they hand roll strips of glossy paper into a bead shape then varnish it!  A lot of work and very effective.

https://outreachuganda.org/zencart/

That the humidity gets worse as we approached Atlanta , Ga on our road trip to the Metallica concert .  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Darkenpath25 said:

That the humidity gets worse as we approached Atlanta , Ga on our road trip to the Metallica concert .  

Despite a hardcore hip-hop fan, Metallica is one of the greatest bands of all time and i truly appreciate what they've done. I'm so jealous! Hope you have a great time! :tu:

On 7/9/2017 at 9:26 AM, King Giovanni said:

Despite a hardcore hip-hop fan, Metallica is one of the greatest bands of all time and i truly appreciate what they've done. I'm so jealous! Hope you have a great time! :tu:

Thanks ! It was a banding concert . After 3 bands I can't hear today or talk my voice is gone from singing and screaming.  Metallica is and always be the greatest 

• Like 1

I have a poorly zebra finch she's now in a hospital cage 

I am thinking of having a shiatsu massage (beneficial for those with high blood pressure).  I learnt today that it is also called acupressure massage.

I have used acupressure on myself to treat a number of conditions successfully....I am now wondering whether using the points to alleviate high blood pressure would be the same as getting the acupressure massage...maybe not!

Edited by sees

3 hours ago, Darkenpath25 said:

Thanks ! It was a banding concert . After 3 bands I can't hear today or talk my voice is gone from singing and screaming.  Metallica is and always be the greatest 

I assume it must have been a heck of a concert! Voice and hearing loss are completely worth it! :D