Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Did You Learn Today?

sarah_444

On 31/01/2018 at 1:27 PM, Mark One said:

A supermarket brand (M) chicken soup tastes even better than the 57 varieties brand.

Morrisons? Marks 'n' Sparks? Mesco? Mainsburys? Masda?

How are we supposed to guess?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I learnt today that it's not really true that bad things are more memorable than the good ones.

It's just that the bad is pushy, demanding to be seen, while the good patiently waits to be remembered. 

• Like 1

Today, I learned that the HTML "checkbox" element returns a querystring of "on" when checked, and NOT - as I had assumed - "1"

No wonder nothing was working :( 

Oh when tossing light data through a tunnel so to speak.... oh sometimes its there sometimes its not depending on how you hold your mouth /sarc hahahaaa!

• Haha 1

I'm still learning to hold my tongue but let's say I made some progress today. 

• Haha 1

ha!

&& WaOh!!!!! clever indeed.  Too bad there is not a meld of the minds and we'd all be wickedly witty. 

Lets see, nothing funny . . . . I learned that one can not always rely on what they think they know.  SSee hmmm from yesterday, ran a step by step routine on this not so fun idea of firing info rather a piece of data ANYWAYZZZZZZZZ it was there or made it then not! so hahaa really just checking out step by step was useless.

OH, here we go after pondering, I learnt (and that killed me to type that preschooler word) that, I guess for some the correct answer may take years HA!

• Haha 1

I will never learn, apparently, that there's always someone even more insane than I am :D 

2 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I will never learn, apparently, that there's always someone even more insane than I am :D 

If you say "Beetlehog" three times, I appear!

• Haha 1

I'd like to learn today what do I say so you disappear? Kidding!

*runs to the kitchen, says 'Beetlehog' three times in front of kitchen sink full of dishes* 

Edit: well, I learnt today that magic does not work with dirty dishes. *sigh*

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Thanks 1

Which reminds me that I learned long time ago it's easier to wash a dish if you let a cat or dog (or a hedgehog, certainly) lick it first. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today I learned that it costs more money to buy a cheeseburger than it did a few months ago at one of the restaurants near where I live.

Oh well.

• 2 months later...

I learned that some people are fragile and need to be helped by the strong.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today I learned that it's good to be focused on the present, especially when the present is going well.

• Haha 1

Today I learned (or at least prior knowledge was reinforced) that it's also good to be focused on the present, esp when things might suddenly go bad... LIKE while traversing a snow-covered log bridge, across a very cold and very swift (& very wet) stream...

Edited by purrrpetrator
to report that I made it unscathed! but did manage to slip and fall once when the level, but icy, trail was resumed...
  • Like 1

When that pain finally starts to creep in starting from your toe because its the second time you ran it into that blessid coffee table AS THE TEA POT WHISTLE started off[[[with an array of coloured stars] I quite vividly learned you might be strong, you might even levitate but even the mighty go down over the smallest things. THat musky elong kid comes to mind.

Edited by MWoo7

I've recently integrated a new team. We had a meeting this afternoon. I learned (again) that "the absent are always in the wrong"...

• 1 month later...

I just read an article online about the Doctor Who spin-off series "Torchwood". It said that "Torchwood" is an anagram of "Doctor Who" lol! I didn't realise that until now. Shame they axed it too, I liked it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/06/doctor-how-why-torchwoods-slow-death-was-a-sweet-relief-for-fans

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Today, I learned - definitely? - I should absolutely avoid wasting my time and energy with low-level comment/posts. I can't afford wasting that way any longer.

I also learned - definitely? - I should avoid interacting with the people who can't get irony. I learned some of those people were sometimes related to a specific pattern I'm incompatible with: waste of time, confusion and false hopes ensued. To avoid absolutely.

• 5 months later...

I have always loved animals and I know a LOT about them. That being said, I really know nothing at all when it comes right down to it--there's just too much to know out there and what fun it is to discover something new!

Today I learned that some snakes bear their young live! Take a look and be amazed!! https://imgur.com/gallery/9yABWC0

• Like 1

Yes, viviparous snakes, interesting :)

I constantly learn and unlearn.

Today I learned - again - that some people blame others for their own malevolence. It's reversed culpabilization.

Today I learned more about my anniversaries.

New Year's Day: first day of the Space Age calendar = October 4. Celebrated already!

Xmas: well, I still stick to the Dec 25, in a non-religious, non-spiritual way. Celebrated already!

1/1/2022: it's not a new year's day for me but an important anniversary. And this time, I'm going to enjoy it much!

Edited by ant0n

I'm having fun creating doodles on 3.5" cardboard tiles and use pencil graphite to shade them. To blend the graphite smoothly, I use a tool called a smudge stick or blending stump. There's another blending tool called a tortillon. I didn't know the difference so I looked this up today and was interested to learn that a blending stump is a pencil-shaped stick usually made from packed felt or paper, and a tortillon is made from tightly-rolled paper and has a sharper tip. Blending stumps are used for larger areas and tortillons are for very detailed areas. And I also learned how to make my own tortillons in the future. :)  https://rapidfireart.com/2015/05/08/detailed-guide-how-to-use-a-blending-stump/

Doodle Tiles.jpg

Edited by sfhipchick
  • Like 1

Thanks to a great friend J., I've learned today that I MUST absolutely stop stooping to any being's level. Never again.

I dislike that vertical approach induced by "levels" in that context but you get the idea.

Why should I stop stooping that way?

Because it's proved for decades it was detrimental to me. I want to stop wasting my time and I want to keep on developping.

My level of fear of rejection and of being judged has become low, in general.