Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Did You Learn Today?

sarah_444

:)

Yeah, it's a toughy though...I won't stoop to a troll's level, but I will lower myself to a person's level who doesn't have the capacity to understand me and they need for me to explain things more simply. That is something that I learned a while back--it is a great kindness and a show of respect. It is also 100% different than lowering yourself to a mud-flinger's level in order to hurl a glob back at them.

Today I learned that the Missouri River is longer than the Mississippi River! I'm sure I learned that in school and then of course, I forgot it! I did know it's a tributary of the Mississippi though, I just didn't remember that it's actually longer than the Mississippi! :D

• Like 1

Today, I've learned (again) how fundamentally important it is not to put any being (including self) or any thing on (or under) a pedestal.

Edited by ant0n
  • Like 1

Today, I learned that most of the French politicians were just mediocre, gross, and disgusting individuals, including the number #1. I couldn't expect that. I just hope the next President won't be that low. I'm really worried about that.

Today I learned that cosmetic contact lenses don't just include artificial colors, or wierd effects like making your eyes look like a reptile, etc., but they are now selling lenses that make your eyes appear larger by covering part of the sclera with color. I have always thought the crazy costume lenses were bizarre but these "circle" lenses kind of freak me out!

orig.jpg

• Like 1

Today, I learned harmonizing one's own names (in different languages) can take a LOT of time - but it's quite worth it!

Edited by ant0n

I've dabbled in Spanish and French and it's a cool and peculiar feeling when foreign words become natural and effortless. Very liberating. As for harmonizing my name, I never got to that familiarity!

Today I learned that I have no memory of visiting the Fountain of the Four Rivers in Rome, even though I've seen it twice! Both times I was not a photographer. I hope to go back again some day to document my experience!

• Like 1

Today, I've learned that I may be closer to some great and interesting people. I'm not quite sure because it's non-linear. That's encouraging anyway.

(You're very likely right because we gravitate naturally towards what we are interested in, and it's not a linear thing at all!)

Today I learned that even huge companies can have phone systems that break and you are forced to call the next day!

• Like 1

Today I learned about toxic people reversing the toxicity guilt so that the sane ones look toxic to other people. I call that guilt reversal.

I also learned those "toxic people" can even not be aware of the toxicity they induce. Aren't we all biological machines that don't necessarily work well?

So who's to blame? Not self!!! Blaming Nature? :D There's no "fair" or "unfair" in Nature, no "good" or "bad" either ^^

Oh, now I remember the Reversers in science-fiction ^^

Edited by ant0n

I learned today that people can see in the dark if they're properly motivated. 

Kidding. They can't, but the light in the toilet at work suddenly stopped working so it was more a case of correctly imagining what I'm supposed to see than what I was able to see.  

• Haha 2

Anthony, you're also talking about "gaslighting" and it's a total chump move. True, they don't always know they're doing it because manipulation is their middle name.

Today I learned that a successful operation was performed that used a modified pig's heart to replace one in a man who would have otherwise died. So far, so good! It's totally amazing!!

Man gets genetically-modified pig heart in world-first transplant

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sfhipchick said:

Anthony, you're also talking about "gaslighting" and it's a total chump move. True, they don't always know they're doing it because manipulation is their middle name.

Today I learned that a successful operation was performed that used a modified pig's heart to replace one in a man who would have otherwise died. So far, so good! It's totally amazing!!

Man gets genetically-modified pig heart in world-first transplant

- Yes, 'gaslighting'. In my perspective, that's something unfortunately common in life. But my perspective is distorted in that regard. Anyway, I've managed to learn a lot from that. That reversal thing is quite perv. But I learned today I managed to deal with that well, without gaslighting in return.

- Yes, I"ve learned about that successful transplant between species. I'd like to get such a transplant if I needed a heart transplant. At the same time, I thought about the people who would refuse such transplant. I fully welcome such a transplant.

- I learned I don't need to "fully be me", as I already am fully me but still folded. So I learned that my priority was to unfold/express myself. Yep, I'm already fully me - but partially folded, just like a partially folded 3D-structure.

- I learned I do not thank the people who were not so good to me: I thank myself through them.

Edited by ant0n

I too, would accept such a transplant if I had no other choice and one was available to me. It's such an incredible development! As it is, I had a graft of lab-grown skin cells, formed into a little square, which was grafted onto one of my gums in an attempt to repair a receding gum. Unfortunately it didn't succeed. Still, where it was grafted onto my existing gum, the layer of skin has melded perfectly with an added thickness. A shame that the repair to my receding gum didn't keep. Gradually it receded to nothing. I had another appointment for a graft on another tooth's gum but I cancelled it. My mouth rejected the first and would reject the second. I'll keep my money and do my best to care for my teeth!

Today I learned that it's likely that almost the entire earth's population will get Corona Virus and it will probably become a seasonal thing like the flu. 

• Like 1

Today, I learned I got rid of the bad influences in my past. They left me speechless and petrified for so many years but that was just past, it's over ^^

Today, I've learned - again! - I absolutely have to get rid of the obsolete altogether, on and on! :D

Why? Because it's fun, to begin with! It's so fun to get rid of obsolete books, DVDs, contacts and such! ^^

It's like shedding skin actually. A wonderful metaphor/comparison.

Well, I get rid of the obsolete through pictures, books (oh my :D), music tracks, files on computer, obsolete contacts, gardening (new/obsolete plants), etc. I don't have enough of 3 garbage bins, I tell yah! It all gets recycled in some way or another ^^

• 3 months later...

Today I learned that even if you're not very bright, determination can help you win what you want. :)

edit to say: oh, and patience is important too.

Edited by ouija ouija

The ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter is literally written on Mark Wahlberg's face.

received_671759460566558.jpeg.ef0b1d744860b78b4391184bba2294e6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Today I learned that I forget things I’ve learned.

• 2 months later...

Today I learned that the English 'Easter' has nothing to do with some original Germanic word, but with an ancient goddess from the Middle East: Ishtar. Aka Astarte.