Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Did You Learn Today?

sarah_444

On 07/03/2017 at 11:05 AM, Merk One said:

I learnt today that the supermarket is a breeding ground for disease and bacteria.  I nipped in yesterday and today I now have another cold!!!

Are you sure it was from the supermarket though?  There are so many places you could catch it from, e.g. in a queue next to someone with the virus or in a crowded bus/train etc.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sees said:

It depends on how good your immune system is.

I heal up quickly, but burns are a buggger!

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

I learned you can bite into a hot pocket right after it comes out of the microwave .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darkenpath25 said:

I learned you can bite into a hot pocket right after it comes out of the microwave .

Nor (in my case) grab a mouthful of phuh (Vietnamese noodle soup).

What did I learn today -- well this is something I learned some time ago -- puppies have to be washed, but mother cats keep their kittens clean.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today I learned that when a child presents with a prolonged fever and what appears to be signs of physical abuse (e.g. major bruising), ask if he has traveled outside of the country in the last two weeks. He might not be abused. He might have Dengue fever.

And he might vomit blood on you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched a documentary about Super Elements, and supercooled helium totally did my head in!

It helps liquids to move straight through solids, completely defying physics as we know it.

• Like 3

One of the things I learnt today is to be more forgiving.

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

I learnt today that it gets fairly warm invidulating an exam in a hall with 130 students with no doors or Windows open

• Like 2

Construction site workers are a paranoid lot.  An open plan building site with nothing on it cannot be walked upon if your not wearing a hard hat.  What are they afraid of?  Low level aircraft?  A phantom piano?

• Like 3

Today I learnt it's not big of clever to strim long grass and weeds in general whire wearing shorts ....... I fly in the face of danger me

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Matt221 said:

Today I learnt it's not big of clever to strim long grass and weeds in general whire wearing shorts ....... I fly in the face of danger me

Today, I have learned that Matt lives life on the edge!

• Like 3

Today I have learnt that its probably best to drink one bottle less, next Saturday.

• Like 2

Today I learnt that those who display the worst in humanity also brings out the best in humanity in others. 

sun-light-heart-hand.jpg

• Like 3

I learned that you can't trust like you used to. 

I learned to hula hoop today :D Took me few days and only today I can say I got it right. 

No, seriously. I'm almost 50 (Jesus!) :lol: so if I suddenly disappear, you know what a stupid death I died.   

• Like 2

That american fast food is disgusting. My city just got another new fast food place that was previously an american chain, and it's disgusting. Johnny Rockets joins Fatburger, Taco Bell, and many others on my no-fly list.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, Helen of Annoy said:

I learned to hula hoop today :D Took me few days and only today I can say I got it right. 

No, seriously. I'm almost 50 (Jesus!) :lol: so if I suddenly disappear, you know what a stupid death I died.   

Stupid and unnecessary, yes.....

But memorable and extremely funny!

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

I have learned what a bunch of god-bothering nutjobs the MP's in Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party are.

Anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-gay-abortion, and anti-breathing-and-walking-at-the-same-time.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, acute said:

I have learned what a bunch of god-bothering nutjobs the MP's in Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party are.

Anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-gay-abortion, and anti-breathing-and-walking-at-the-same-time.

Oh wow, really?  I know nothing about them.  Well their reign may be short lived since even her own party are turning against Theresa Mayday (not to mention Jeremy calling for her to resign).   I had to laugh when she emerged, after the election result, and a journalist yelled out "strong and stable?"  dontlaugh.gif?v=2

Edited by sees

I learnt - not exactly today, but recently - that the rest of the world suffers from the same political horrors as my country does.

I honestly thought it must be a little if not a lot better out there, in the big, bright world. And it turned out it's all the same giant septic tank and the same turds are floating on top. 

On the brighter side, today I learnt how to change the bearings on concrete mixer.

Seriously.

First you find the mixer type under layers of old concrete, so you can find the bearing code on the internet, then you forget it, twice, so you write it down, then you leisurely drive to the specialized store, buy new set of bearings, and too many (it's only too many in the store, once you're home it's always too few) rings that go between the bearing and the retainer, then you take one husband to pound the old bearings out, one neighbour to find you a short pipe you need for said pounding out (and later pounding new ones in), and the other neighbour to find his special pliers you'll need for putting new retainer in place. Then the third neighbour shows up, all worried, because our mixer is very popular in the neighbourhood. I like lending it because when it's being big and ugly in someone else's garden it's not being big and ugly in mine.

Then you have the honour of pounding the new bearings in. With sledgehammer. While the husband is holding the short pipe you're pounding on. That, my friends, is called trust. It was proven only a little unfounded. No bones broken. Then you put all those ring things in, then the retainer, which promptly springs out, hits the cat, so husband puts it back in, it springs out, hits curious neighbour in the eye, then you try again putting it in and it stays. Voila!

Then you strut around like you actually did it by yourself.        

All in all, we have our mixer back, good as new. I need it tomorrow, but from Monday on it is free to be ugly in your garden. 

• Like 2

I worried for my own sanity is it,not it can't be, surely not, it bloody well is 

5102017194110.jpg

• Like 1

Damn, Matt, either you're in the wrong thread, either you just learnt there's such thing as Father's day. 

Oops... I just learnt, for approximately 17,800th time, that when the ashes fall off your cigarette into your lap you don't wipe them off, because they'll leave white smear on your black clothes. You gently blow them away.  

edit: I have no idea why I used plural there. *shrugs*

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Damn, Matt, either you're in the wrong thread, either you just learnt there's such thing as Father's day. 

Oops... I just learnt, for approximately 17,800th time, that when the ashes fall off your cigarette into your lap you don't wipe them off, because they'll leave white smear on your black clothes. You gently blow them away.  

edit: I have no idea why I used plural there. *shrugs*

I may give all this up i keep on posting in the wrong thread ....... na only kidding I'll get the hang of this new fangled interweb stuff

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

I may give all this up i keep on posting in the wrong thread ....... na only kidding I'll get the hang of this new fangled interweb stuff

Be careful, people say it's addictive. That's why I limited my interweb time to only 7 hours daily, so I don't get hooked on it or something.  

Wait. I learnt something else today. I learnt that when you tell the person who is holding the ladder to be still now, they will absolutely certainly move, that very moment. So, in the future, I will tell people to shake the ladder when I want them still for a moment.