Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

Yep, I know it is quite incredible...When I first started studying these aspects of being here and now, it really is a tough one to work through. I was so tied up in it, the Ego, and i can say that when I was able to except just how big a monster toy balloon it is/ can be its magic like bubble burst and sent it flying.......The seeming disarray, was actually a true breath of fresh air. the weight lifted. What I find is that if we are/ were our true selves it's not Ego based at all. it's seems quite unified, united with everything, everyone....there's actually a lot of peace within that neutral space a calmness rare yet natural....If that makes sense?

• Like 2

HMMM I don't even know how to answer that, it's hard .....I don't really think I have one that much any more although I had a very big one when I was young and dumb to how things really worked on a spiritual level! It's really a balancing act of true self and projecting a self to others. We all play many characters in life.

I guess I project an ego to share a point view even though in reality I only see it as a way to communicate a view that needs to be shared with others not really an emotional egotistical sort thing. I'm really only a messenger of life experiences and the messages of seeking the ultimate truth, love, peace and justice which are more important to me then how I appear to others. It's probably weird but that's how I view my ego, how others perceive my ego is unimportant to me. The messages I send with ego and why I use it for is far more important in reality then my ego .

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 3

Yeah, this topic could easily become a good source of flamebaiting.

Very Intuitive..

I once had a post of mine removed under the assumption of being Flamebaiting, even though the Intention of it was quite benign. I assume It was interpreted as flaimbaiting because someone's Ego was bruised by it, and as such that someone took offence in it.

Ego's are self protective and self serving.. If something offends the Ego it will defend it's seft & bite back..

There is an alterior motive behind this thread, which is why I'm vague in the OP. It's not about flambaiting though I assure you.

• Like 2

The problem with ego is that the majority of those who have it don't realize it. That's partly why they're so egotistical...

I think this is very true.. Which is why Hasinas comment regarding her Ego was so interesting..

Hell I'm no expert, but I'm still thinking that we aren't one person or persona, there are layers to our selves that need to be peeled away in order to find our true selves.. Beyond that physical layer of flesh and bone the first layers of identity belong to Ego..

I'd love to join in but I can't show you my Ego......it's way, way, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too big to fit in here.

When threatened, the Ego will use every trick it has to hide it's identity.. Including Humour, lol... Ego, like the Devil we don't know, prefers not to be known.

Seriously though, I think your Ego is probably half as big as mine..

Yove made 2318 posts, and only have 444 likes..

Me (showing my ego here), have made 1191 posts, and have 824 likes..

Edited to add: Just gave you another like for your collection to give your ego a boost.. lol.

Oh, and in my world, the smaller the Ego the better.. Sucks to be me..

Edited by Professor T

I'd be interested to see how many likes I've given out.... Lol way more than I've received :)

• Like 6

When threatened, the Ego will use every trick it has to hide it's identity.. Including Humour, lol... Ego, like the Devil we don't know, prefers not to be known.

Edited to add: Just gave you another like for your collection to give your ego a boost.. lol.

You just vaguely hurt my ego I just checked out my likes and I only got 300 something... I knew it was low but golly... :-/.

*takes ego clarifying breath* ~ it's ok....

• Like 7

I just joined the ego game I never viewed to see my numbers before LOL

381 posts and 141 likes

I'll add that Ego is a much needed protector of the bodily desires and physical well being, just like hunger but I don't think we can ever have it 100% in control and be able survive in the world....unless you end up being a martyr!

At the other end of the spectrum I see people who are very egotistical and full of pride and feel sorry for them because they are so unware of the peace you have when you do get it under control no matter what the enviroment. They will have a tradgic realization and deep despair someday because of their over rated blind faith in themselves. Life is chance with only a small measure of influence toward the outcome.

• Like 1

HA!

Now this is going to bring out everyones Ego so Far!

The Most Loved/Liked is Hasina!

The Least is Buzzkill! (edited to add, no offence mate, Kia Kaha.)

I'm second! Woooo Whooo!

qnlch0.jpg

But seriously Folks...

Are we seeing that Ego in these numbers? Personality? Wisdom? Fashion sense?

Edited by Professor T

And before you post anything Arbenol68, (currently viewing own profile) lol..

Ego is soooo predictable!

Edited by Professor T

qnlch0.jpg

Oh wow! To me, that shows that I'm probably spending way too much time on here and have no life. Damnit-damnit!

EDIT: Wait, wait! I just looked at Today's Top Posters. I'm nowhere on that list, so I feel better now. Phew! False alarm. Still no life, though.

Edited by Purifier

I just joined the ego game I never viewed to see my numbers before LOL

381 posts and 141 likes

I'll add that Ego is a much needed protector of the bodily desires and physical well being, just like hunger but I don't think we can ever have it 100% in control and be able survive in the world....unless you end up being a martyr!

At the other end of the spectrum I see people who are very egotistical and full of pride and feel sorry for them because they are so unware of the peace you have when you do get it under control no matter what the enviroment. They will have a tradgic realization and deep despair someday because of their over rated blind faith in themselves. Life is chance with only a small measure of influence toward the outcome.

:lol:

When I log each morning my first glance as at the notifications at the top of the screen.. That's my ego going "oh yes, people like and accept me" and when I look in to see the notifications are only people quoating my posts to tell me what a moron I am my Ego takes a beating...

But like you say, Some Ego is needed, i think.. I think there is a healthy level of Ego.. Or healthy/productive ego and a unhealthy destructive type Ego.. I might be wrong, but I think that identifying Ego and getting to know it, is the first step towards removing it or at least having your true self empowered enough to control it.

Edited by Professor T

:lol:

When I log each morning my first glance as at the notifications at the top of the screen.. That's my ego going "oh yes, people like and accept me" and when I look in to see the notifications are only people quoating my posts to tell me what a moron I am my Ego takes a beating...

But like you say, Some Ego is needed, i think.. I think there is a healthy level of Ego.. Or healthy/productive ego and a unhealthy destructive type Ego.. I might be wrong, but I think that identifying Ego and getting to know it, is the first step towards removing it or at least having your true self empowered enough to control it.

when I look in to see the notifications are only people quoating my posts to tell me what a moron I am my Ego takes a beating...

I loved that LOL even the egotistical guys can help us to be humble :)

• Like 1

HA!

I'm second! Woooo Whooo!

qnlch0.jpg

But seriously Folks...

Fourth place. Four's mah lucky number. B) **** yeah...

I remember reading something before about the difference between "Big(Inflated) Egos" and "Strong Egos". Something to do with the whole, "The bigger they are the harder they fall" thing but adding onto it, that "Strong Egos" (which contain more balance) are generally better at dealing with a fall. I'll have a look for it tomorrow.

My question is how does someone's ego differentiate from someone's personality? How do they influence or reflect eachother?

I feel like ego is a separation. From others and from the self, but essentially we all have one so how separate can it really be?

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 2

Tee hee..

What do you think?

I think you define yourself by your actions..

I've not been involved with many of your posts, but I think your Ego is kind of Aloof most of the time..

Speeking from one (alter-ego) Professor to another, lol, your Ego is easily bruised when someone points out that your facts are wrong, which is why you spend a lot of time making sure your facts are correct before posting them..

Am I Right?

Quite right.

How is it that you seem so emotionally connected to others?

Interesting social experiment Pro T.

But, did you consider that the 'like' button only came into existence about April last year or so? I'm way up the 'like' scale too, probably only because I joined in May, 2012.

As an aside, Hasina would be in the #1 spot of course. She's attractive, young, smart, witty and artistic. But she's also not very contoversial. (Sorry to appear to be speaking about you behind your back Hasina.)

Edit: Pro. Buzzkill is a perfect example, 1338 posts, but a member for over 4 years. (Well, that and Professor Buzzkill, your user name isn't that friendly, sorry). :)

Then again, along those lines, maybe the reason I'm more 'liked' than I should be is because my username is 'Likely Guy'? (I didn't do that on purpose, by the way, I live in a small town called 'Likely', and I'm a 'Guy' - I'm not very original, I know.)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Fourth place. Four's mah lucky number. B) **** yeah...

Well, according to my Spreadsheet, Likely Guy Just piped you for fourth place and you have slipped to fifth. lol. hope he didn't bruise your ego.

Interesting social experiment Pro T.

But, did you consider that the 'like' button only came into existence about April last year or so? I'm way up the 'like' scale too, probably only because I joined in May, 2012.

As an aside, Hasina would be in the #1 spot of course. She's attractive, young, smart, witty and artistic. But she's also not very contoversial. (Sorry to appear to be speaking about you behind your back Hasina.)

Actually this isn't a social experiment.

Nor is collecting peoples likes my real intention or hidden agenda behind this thread.

I'm genuinely interested in peoples Ego's and how others percieve themselves.. It's something we do every day and fail to analyse. We live out our lives day in and day out and don't even ask the most imporant question of all which is "Who am I really?" "What defines who I am?" Those kind of questions reveal our Ego's and true selves..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

HA!

I'm second! Woooo Whooo!

qnlch0.jpg

But seriously Folks...

Come on. I joined years before the like system! I realise that im not entirely popular on this site because of some strong views or controversial posts i have made, and i have to admit that since the like system my ego has taken a bit of a dive.

Especially when you make a post that you think deserves a like and no one will oblige you. But i am happy in my real life and have an interest in the unexplained so where else will i hang out online?

Edit to add. I wonder if the like system has killed off a few members who realised they weren't quite as popular online as their ego thought?

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 4

Quite right.

How is it that you seem so emotionally connected to others?

I'm basing a lot of my assumptions on my understanding of Ego's & my own intuition. One can glean a lot from a name or even an Avatar (as Likely Guy pointed out)

Your On-line Persona is "Professor" which to me denotes that the real persona behind the Avatar is someone who likes to have his facts strait, and "Buzzkill" which to be honest I ingored, but as a second guess, I'd say denotes that you do take a small degree of personal pleasure from prooving other people wrong..

• Like 1

Edit to add. I wonder if the like system has killed off a few members who realised they weren't quite as popular online as their ego thought?

No, I don't think so. Of all the 'thousands of members' in this forum, most were gone before the 'like' button.

Edit: On second read, I see what you're saying. Maybe?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

I'm basing a lot of my assumptions on my understanding of Ego's & my own intuition. One can glean a lot from a name or even an Avatar (as Likely Guy pointed out)

Your On-line Persona is "Professor" which to me denotes that the real persona behind the Avatar is someone who likes to have his facts strait, and "Buzzkill" which to be honest I ingored, but as a second guess, I'd say denotes that you do take a small degree of personal pleasure from prooving other people wrong..

Less and less as i get older to be honest. I suppose i'll change my name and avatar eventually, but i never much thought about it until now.It was a hangover from the debates that myself and Mattshark had over my first 2-3 years on this forum

But enough about me. As this is another one of your exciting threads i am waiting for the inevitable "big reveal"

• Like 2

lol!

But enough about me. As this is another one of your exciting threads i am waiting for the inevitable "big reveal"

The highlighted portion is a perfect example of controlling that Ego of yours. lol.

As for an inevitable big reveal, I'm kind of hoping that it will happen spontaniously as a result of this thread being here..

If it doesn't happen spontaniously I'll try and force it.. Either way I hope it will be fun for us to have a crack at identifying the Ego in our fellow UMers.. There's all sorts of Ego's here in UM.. Most I find as genuine... Most are really nice people who are here to interact and have fun. Some are funny.. Some I find are very guarded... A few are--------

Edited to add: Why don't you have a go at reading Likely's Dominant Ego?

Edited by Professor T

Are we speaking so much about 'ego', or is it 'peer acceptance'? Or is it one in the same?

Edit: We have our online ego, as well as our own offline ego.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2