Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

Hey Joc, we've something in common! I got rid of my TV about 7 years ago. Don't miss it one bit! If you come to my house, the internet's on and so is the radio. That more than enough entertainment.

Professor T, I wonder how many other UM'ers have a TV aversion?

I was just telling someone the other day that I didn't have a TV and he said, You know, you are the only person I know who doesn't.

So...yeah...we should start a club or something! :yes:

• Like 1

Edit: also @ Professor T, I wonder what it says about my ego to come back just to edit one minor spelling mistake. Ego thing, or a compulsive disorder? :)

imho, you havn't got a compulstive disorder until you are colour matching your clothes pegs to the clothes on your line.. lol.. I edit my posts all the time because I write away, hit post.. then sit there for several minutes thinking, "did I expressing my point properly? Did I miss anything?? oo! Spelling.." I guess that goes a long way to describing my on-line alter-ego because ego loves to be noticed and hates being miss interpreted...

Edited to add: Might be a "professor" ego thing too..

Then edited again: Oh, and I do try to colour code my clothes to clothe pegs on washing day.. *sighs* sucks to be me because I know it's stupid & a waste of time but hey it looks good!!

edited again!! Spelling Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Edited by Professor T

Fakes as in people who post comments about themselves, their own lives, their way of life and achievements and deeds which are false and un-true..

I don't know, but I think that the people who 'fake their credentials', as it were, have a weak ego to begin with and would avoid this thread like the plague. Just my opinion.

Fakes as in people who post comments about themselves, their own lives, their way of life and achievements and deeds which are false and un-true..

What about people who just have unusual lives that are really just quite bizarre, that almost sound like lies or the people who lie to make themselves more believable to the people around them? (When the actual truth is just plain unbelievable)

Edited by Jinxdom

Another thing about Ego...and the awareness of our own Ego.

Ego paints pictures of things to prop itself up. It plays movies in our heads of situations it would like to be in...in order to make itself feel worthy.

In other words...Ego distorts Reality. Reality is very, very easy to define. But Ego constantly distorts it, contorting itself into a surreal dimension where it is blameless.

Simple directions to define reality:

1. Identify exactly where you are in time/space. EX: I am sitting at my computer desk in my office at 10:12am Saturday morning.

2. Identify your mood. EX: I feel good....I am sad...I am angry, etc.

3. Realize that THAT is reality. That is all reality is. The sky isn't falling. The blood isn't flowing in the street. You are okay...in your time/space, in your mood. You are okay. Maybe you aren't okay. Maybe you are in pain. But identifying that as reality is just as important. Because: Ego doesn't do reality very well. It can't. It has to 'override' reality. Because it isn't real you see.

So, by defining what Reality is...we define what Ego is as well...and once we know what Ego is and how it manipulates us...we become better at controlling it.

• Like 1

imho, you havn't got a compulstive disorder until you are colour matching your clothes pegs to the clothes on your line.. lol.. I edit my posts all the time because I write away, hit post.. then sit there for several minutes thinking, "did I expressing my point properly? Did I miss anything?? oo! Spelling.." I guess that goes a long way to describing my on-line alter-ego because ego loves to be noticed and hates being miss interpreted...

Edited to add: Might be a "professor" ego thing too..

Then edited again: Oh, and I do try to colour code my clothes to clothe pegs on washing day.. *sighs* sucks to be me because I know it's stupid & a waste of time but hey it looks good!!

edited again!! Spelling Grrrrrrrrrrr.

:st I think you might have stumbled across something here, something peculiar to UMers perhaps. I don't have a television either and I also hang out my washing so that the colours look nice together. I can't do the peg thing because all my pegs are plain wood :unsure2: .........................................................................................................aargh!! I'm going to have to buy coloured plastic pegs now!

• Like 3

Firstly, I don't think exposing Ego is a one off thing.. I, you, or any other member here is quite capable of identifying a persons more dominant Ego trait from their posts imho.. But that's not exposing what ego is, that's only exposing an outer layer of it, or one of the masks.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I can tell much about you. I've not conversed with you much over my time here in UM, so I havn't really built up much of a mental picture of you or your ego.. Also, just looking at your profile and last posts doesn't really tell me much..

Will have a go though.. And base this almost entirely on intuition, so please, let met know if I'm on the mark or not..

Me thinks you liked to expose other peoples weaknessess, your ego found it empowering.. But I somehow think that aspect of your ego was discovered and dropped.. I think the discovery was a bit of a shock to you. Now you are more fluid and less concerned with controling other peoples opinions of themselves.. Letting go of that part of your ego has made you more aware of your own self an your own needs and feelings...

Am I right?

That's true Prof T.

Hmm kinda close. I do sometimes expose people's weaknesses but only to help them try better themselves by working on them. But yes, walking them through it is not my duty, time is sometimes the best medicine for that and working your problems out yourself is usually the best thing. However, pushing them in the right direction is what I at least aim to do.

Some people have mistaken me for me thinking I'm better than others in that aspect. But yeah I kinda have dropped that quite a bit. If the person wants to better themselves they will try. It's just when their whole perception of everything is so clouded where I feel I must do something.

Not bad Prof T!

• Like 1

qnlch0.jpg

It represent only that members as Hasina thinks as many others people on UM. So that place her into main stream.

While I join this site to hear alternative thoughts, menaing Hasina is respectble, friendly, easy going, social, smart, clever but not interesting to me. (in the way I wish she is interest of me). But its good to hear voice of main stream reasoning.

People I found interesting are just opposite. There are also people who have small number of likes because they were not active anymore but they have had wonderfull thuoghts.

There are people in ancient mysteries forum who deserve more likes yet they didnt collect them somehow.

Personally some of mine posts which I think that deserve likes never get one and some that are trivial gets like 8 likes. So...

Likes are okay. But not indicating anything except that you have social skills. (Which I dont have)

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

It represent only that members as Hasina thinks as many others people on UM. So that place her into main stream.

While I join this site to hear alternative thoughts, menaing Hasina is respectble, friendly, easy going, social, smart, clever but not interesting to me. (in the way I wish she is interest of me). But its good to hear voice of main stream reasoning.

People I found interesting are just opposite. There are also people who have small number of likes because they were not active anymore but they have had wonderfull thuoghts.

There are people in ancient mysteries forum who deserve more likes yet they didnt collect them somehow.

Personally some of mine posts which I think that deserve likes never get one and some that are trivial gets like 8 likes. So...

Likes are okay. But not indicating anything except that you have social skills. (Which I dont have)

The posts of mine that generally gain the most likes are those that display some sort of feeling towards something. An emotion based or preference based response. I think people are more inclined to read something short or in reflection to their own emotions. I too agree with you on the posts by some of the very knowledgable and intelligent members in the ancient mysteries forum. But most members might just skim over their posts or not read it at all. Generally most of those threads end up with 2-5 people having a lengthy debate where everyone else just stays out of it.

Generally most of those threads end up with 2-5 people having a lengthy debate where everyone else just stays out of it.

You know what comes often trough my mind, Is like button ruined forum threads? Because before when you like something that other person have written what did you do? You respond to his post. And often not just by "great post" but rather express your view or even develop conversation by new information or questions.

But now to go on old without like button would be realy going backward. Because people are used to it. People looks to it and to most it realy represents something. (to me it represents social skills)

I used example of Hasina. She is smart girl. No doubt. I like reading her. I often press like button on her posts because they are intellegent and with sophisticated sense of humour.

But I press button like to sepulcrave, Shadowsott, Parsec, cormac, Abramelin, Swede to name a few for VERY different reason. Anyone who read their posts knows those reasons.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Professor T, I wonder how many other UM'ers have a TV aversion?

:tu:

That sounds to me like the makings of a fine thread..

I reacon you should run with it because it would be interesting to see how many people out there are awakening to the fact that TV no longer serves their best interests..

• Like 2

You know what comes often trough my mind, Is like button ruined forum threads? Because before when you like something that other person have written what did you do? You respond to his post. And often not just by "great post" but rather express your view or even develop conversation by new information or questions.

But now to go on old without like button would be realy going backward. Because people are used to it. People looks to it and to most it realy represents something. (to me it represents social skills)

I used example of Hasina. She is smart girl. No doubt. I like reading her. I often press like button on her posts because they are intellegent and with sophisticated sense of humour.

But I press button like to sepulcrave, Shadowsott, Parsec, cormac, Abramelin, Swede to name a few for VERY different reason. Anyone who read their posts knows those reasons.

I do also think the like button is a great addition. You learn which members share the same opinion as you or are on the same page on issues as you are. I also agree with you on the fact the the "like" has varying different reasons to it. For example, I value a like on a complex opinion I have made than one of a "what this person did is wrong" type of post.

• Like 2

:tu:

That sounds to me like the makings of a fine thread..

I reacon you should run with it because it would be interesting to see how many people out there are awakening to the fact that TV no longer serves their best interests..

I second this notion. I barely watch tv anymore.

• Like 2

I don't know, but I think that the people who 'fake their credentials', as it were, have a weak ego to begin with and would avoid this thread like the plague. Just my opinion.

you might be right..

I know that in the past when I've cheated and lied about myself or my achievements it's been to cover up areas in my life where I'm lacking or where I feel exposed.. It has been an ego thing, where my achievements don't fulfull societies expectations.. This is where as Sarah44's post about the difference between a Big Ego (Inflated) v's a Srong Ego (healthy or balanced) comes to mind.. Because someone who's ego feels the need to inflate to be noticed must not have a very healthy view of themselves to start with.. and as such might have aspects of Ego that control them..

What about people who just have unusual lives that are really just quite bizarre, that almost sound like lies or the people who lie to make themselves more believable to the people around them? (When the actual truth is just plain unbelievable)

Therein lay's a danger..

Identifying prominent ego in others is relitively easy if you start becomming ego aware.. but even so, there are times, as I have proven in this thread, where ones guess can be 100% wrong.. You can either accept you are wrong and walk away.. Or, or can fight the accusation, which from the Ego's perspective is the first thing it wants to do..

If you fight it, chances are, there will be an ego inflation occuring, which is the last thing you need imo..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

I like the like system since it's basically a nice way to end a post. As in I agreed to what professor T had to say in the last post but I had nothing to add to instead of forcing myself to reply I hit the like button and move on.(Well normally there are always exceptions :P)

I do find the clothes pegs thing quite funny. Not as in ha ha omg it's weird type thing but as in a that ironic that sort of fits in with your personality quite well. Compared to my dumping everything in a large container, anything bags, boxes, shopping cart(to be fair it was also for reactions but the wheels were rather useful), which if you noticed how I am fits my personality quite well.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

For example, I value a like on a complex opinion I have made than one of a "what this person did is wrong" type of post.

Don't you hate it, when a complicated answer that took 20-30 minutes or more to think about and write and edit properly doesn't even get aqknowledged!! Grrr! Am damn sure that (Grrrrrr <_<) feeling is my ego letting off steam. I havn't quite figured that part of me out yet.

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..

Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Up-to-date MOST LIKED LIST..

2k4w03.jpg

The first thing Ego does when confronted with a 'most liked' list such as this is find out where it is on this list..

If we are high on the list, Wooo Whoo!

If we're low, Doh!

Either way, Ego found it very interesting.. (I skimmed through this thread) and i reckon more than 50% of the postings have been about the like button or justifying it and their qty of likes since the list appeared.. :lol: .. If I get the time I'll get some more accurate info on this.. :lol: ..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..

If you watched millionare often then you know that audience OFTEN doesnt know right answer.

A-38%

B-27%

C-22%

D-13%

Whatever letter you choose majority still doesnt know.

Individual joker (call person) is far better joker.

However since Im curious person I like to see what people thinks about something.

Edited by the L
  • Like 2

Don't you hate it, when a complicated answer that took 20-30 minutes or more to think about and write and edit properly doesn't even get aqknowledged!! Grrr! Am damn sure that (Grrrrrr <_<) feeling is my ego letting off steam. I havn't quite figured that part of me out yet.

Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Up-to-date MOST LIKED LIST..

2k4w03.jpg

The first thing Ego does when confronted with a 'most liked' list such as this is find out where it is on this list..

If we are high on the list, Wooo Whoo!

If we're low, Doh!

Either way, Ego found it very interesting.. (I skimmed through this thread) and i reckon more than 50% of the postings have been about the like button or justifying it and their qty of likes since the list appeared.. :lol: .. If I get the time I'll get some more accurate info on this.. :lol: ..

in the top 10!? fo-rizzles?

If you watched millionare often then you know that audience OFTEN doesnt know right answer.

A-38%

B-27%

C-22%

D-13%

Whatever letter you choose majority still doesnt know.

That is correct.

However in every episode I've watched, which admitably isn't many, the answer that has the most qty of votes has always been the correct answer..

That is correct.

However in every episode I've watched, which admitably isn't many, the answer that has the most qty of votes has always been the correct answer..

Well it depends on which level player choose to use joker ask audince. Also it depends on player. Sometimes player follow his instinct and choose differently from audience, sometimes he/she use "half the answers" joker after ask audience joker.

But that all doesnt change fact that majority of public doesnt know. People guessing. Point is that MAJORITY choose different answer from right one. Even if player choose right one lets say A- 62% people who press button dont know.

People press "like" for different reasons. As in quiz they could be wrong. They could be in those 62%. Majority. Main stream.

I could tell you 5,6 members who deserve to have more likes yet they dont have them.

Why? Sociology.

Edited by the L
  • Like 2

As you advance in your studies, more and more you learn you becoming more and more specalized in one field.

In the end you are expert of one tiny part of human knowledge.

I think that fact tells all. I can developed that.

• Like 1

The question though is:

Is Ego posting to get likes? Considering some of those that are higher on the list, such as, Sarah_444 for instance. I know for a fact she doesn't post to get likes...so, what then is the point of the list?

s...so, what then is the point of the list?

To me its just show who have good social skills and maybe common knowledge in general.

Also I noticed, maybe Im wrong that sceptics get more likes. Why? Because they are here in majority. I could be wrong.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

I often use this analogy to say that Democracy isnt good.

Lets say you are only one smart. And 9 people around you are stupid. They say: "Lets built house in river"

You tell them : "No. Thats stupid." 9 say: "Lets vote!"....They won. And they built house even one knew that is mistake.

• Like 1