Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

The question though is:

Is Ego posting to get likes? Considering some of those that are higher on the list, such as, Sarah_444 for instance. I know for a fact she doesn't post to get likes...so, what then is the point of the list?

Bingo! :tu:

1. That was imo a very astute appraisal of Sarah's Posts btw, how do you know for a fact?
  2. In many cases imo Ego is posting to get likes, even if we are not aware of it..
  3. The point of the list.. :lol: I started the list early on and have been using it as a carrot to get peoples Ego's so show themselves. It has proven it's self a very attractive lure.. Ego can't help but comment on it's placement in such an egotistic list..

I often use this analogy to say that Democracy isnt good.

Lets say you are only one smart. And 9 people around you are stupid. They say: "Lets built house in river"

You tell them : "No. Thats stupid." 9 say: "Lets vote!"....They won. And they built house even one knew that is mistake.

Actually that is a pretty good analogy of the current situation involving the last election.

Well it depends on which level player choose to use joker ask audince. Also it depends on player. Sometimes player follow his instinct and choose differently from audience, sometimes he/she use "half the answers" joker after ask audience joker.

But that all doesnt change fact that majority of public doesnt know. People guessing. Point is that MAJORITY choose different answer from right one. Even if player choose right one lets say A- 62% people who press button dont know.

People press "like" for different reasons. As in quiz they could be wrong. They could be in those 62%. Majority. Main stream.

I could tell you 5,6 members who deserve to have more likes yet they dont have them.

Why? Sociology.

True that the player sometimes doesn't pick the collective audiences answer.. Sometimes, with a lack of judement on their part imo, they go against the collective and use their own intuition..

To me its just show who have good social skills and maybe common knowledge in general.

Also I noticed, maybe Im wrong that sceptics get more likes. Why? Because they are here in majority. I could be wrong.

I can safely say that B Randomly and myself, 2,d & 3rd on the list, are far from sceptics..

I can also safely say, :blush: , that earlier on when I first joined UM it was all about getting likes for my Ego..

• Like 2

Bingo! :tu:

1. That was imo a very astute appraisal of Sarah's Posts btw, how do you know for a fact?
  2. In many cases imo Ego is posting to get likes, even if we are not aware of it..
  3. The point of the list.. :lol: I started the list early on and have been using it as a carrot to get peoples Ego's so show themselves. It has proven it's self a very attractive lure.. Ego can't help but comment on it's placement in such an egotistic list..

I am a pretty good judge of character...not instantly...but I have read enough of Sarah's posts to conclude that she is a very grounded person who loves her camera and what it can do. She seeks to capture some of the beauty around her with it for her own pleasure and for spreading pleasure to those around her. She has as her UserName the numbers 444 which are themselves a reflection of a frequency of strengh, courage and beauty.

I'm not sure that I really clash with anyone on account of ego. I know I often don't post comments because I don't feel like playing the CMA game, and that's probably ego related. I don't feel like taking the blow to my ego having to re-explain myself, and often I have a vicious commentary about the stupidity of having to CMA, which is an unnecessary blow to others ego.

I know I have an ego about trying to find and put up good information. I also have an ego about stating I'm wrong and apologizing for it.

I think a more weighted "like" list would be to show the posts made near-to-after the push through of the like function. I know users like joc already had a huge post count before the update rolled through.

I definitely think this list served its purpose Prof T. As far as likes go, I pretty much value them as I outlined before. But remember the most important thing is getting your information out there to be read and encourage some thought. It doesn't take much for someone to like your post, but get them really thinking and that's the real reward, a reward for everyone.

• Like 1

I think a more weighted "like" list would be to show the posts made near-to-after the push through of the like function. I know users like joc already had a huge post count before the update rolled through.

I definitely think this list served its purpose Prof T. As far as likes go, I pretty much value them as I outlined before. But remember the most important thing is getting your information out there to be read and encourage some thought. It doesn't take much for someone to like your post, but get them really thinking and that's the real reward, a reward for everyone.

I think the fact that a Like List has made its way into and has begun to 'define' this thread is very interesting in and of itself.

Here is what I think about the Like list: I Like posts that I agree with. Also, I tend to Like posts that were made by people I like. I don't Like everything...but if someone Liked something I posted, I will probably Like what they posted back. So, a good bit of my Like button activity is just being nice. I find that (I mean really it's just human nature) the nicer you are to people, the more people tend to be nicer back to you.

Case in point...I had a customer once who was an elderly Jewish lady...hateful and beechy as the day is long. Always complaining, always very picky and very condesending about everyone and everything. I decided one day that I was going to listen to this lady. I mean really listen to her and find out exactly what her grief was all about and make her LOVE me. And, that is exactly what happened. I listened, I worked really hard to find a solution and did. She didn't love me though because I found a solution...she loved me because after that, I continued to listen to her and talk to her. I think all she really wanted was to know that someone actually gave a damn.

Now, was the above story told to show everyone what a great guy I am (Ego) or was it to illustrate a point. (Also Ego) It (Ego) is just really a hard thing to step away from isn't it?

So, the entire Like thing as an indicator of popularity (Ego) is not very viable at all.

• Like 4

admittedly sometimes i just press the like button cause im bored and i like to press it >.>

• Like 1

I think the fact that a Like List has made its way into and has begun to 'define' this thread is very interesting in and of itself.

Here is what I think about the Like list: I Like posts that I agree with. Also, I tend to Like posts that were made by people I like. I don't Like everything...but if someone Liked something I posted, I will probably Like what they posted back. So, a good bit of my Like button activity is just being nice. I find that (I mean really it's just human nature) the nicer you are to people, the more people tend to be nicer back to you.

Case in point...I had a customer once who was an elderly Jewish lady...hateful and beechy as the day is long. Always complaining, always very picky and very condesending about everyone and everything. I decided one day that I was going to listen to this lady. I mean really listen to her and find out exactly what her grief was all about and make her LOVE me. And, that is exactly what happened. I listened, I worked really hard to find a solution and did. She didn't love me though because I found a solution...she loved me because after that, I continued to listen to her and talk to her. I think all she really wanted was to know that someone actually gave a damn.

Now, was the above story told to show everyone what a great guy I am (Ego) or was it to illustrate a point. (Also Ego) It (Ego) is just really a hard thing to step away from isn't it?

So, the entire Like thing as an indicator of popularity (Ego) is not very viable at all.

We're getting into the harder realms of subtle ego here imo.. This is something I'm only aware of at a surface level

Will give this challenge a go though..

Was it to tell everyone what a great guy you are? Nope.. No ego detected there..

Was it to illistrate a point.. Yes.. Subtle ego detected there..

The subtle ego imo has crept in as at a point somewhere between realising the woman only wanted to be shown that someone actually gave a damn & the conscious effort it took to listen and find a solution to her needs.. That is where your ego was inflated, not by your direct actions in making her love you, but by the realisation that with a bit of effort you could do that.. This subltle ego is a pride in the ability to make people like you!

Am I right?? (will take a lot of deep thought to find it)

Edited to add: Yep, that's how I use the like button too.. & sometimes, I like a post if I just plain old like it now, or even if I don't like it but appreciate the thought & effort someone had made in writing it.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

Great anecdote joc. I usually think people who act such a way don't do so because that's how they are defined and don't particularly enjoy it either.

Well as Bhuddists say a good deed is not such if you go around telling everyone as it becomes a deed you simply did for yourself and not one out of selflessness.

I do see people who do that and you can tell who is trying to illustrate a point and those who are simply doing it as an attempt to receive positive recognition from others. But I do see the point you are addressing here and quite an interesting point at that.

• Like 1

We're getting into the harder realms of subtle ego here imo.. This is something I'm only aware of at a surface level

Will give this challenge a go though..

Was it to tell everyone what a great guy you are? Nope.. No ego detected there..

Correct

Was it to illistrate a point.. Yes.. Subtle ego detected there..

Correct

The subtle ego imo has crept in as at a point somewhere between realising the woman only wanted to be shown that someone actually gave a damn & the conscious effort it took to listen and find a solution to her needs.. That is where your ego was inflated, not by your direct actions in making her love you, but by the realisation that with a bit of effort you could do that.. This subltle ego is a pride in the ability to make people like you!

Very good Doctor!

Am I right?? (will take a lot of deep thought to find it)

You are very right about what you deduced...however; the subtle ego I was referring to was in making the point at all. You are right, I wasn't telling the story to make people think I'm a swell guy...I was telling the story to make a point about how being nice to people is a virtue in and of its own...but then, the ego of that is in my ego thinking first of all, that it has a point to be made, and secondly that it is important to make it.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

Correct

Correct

Very good Doctor!

Wooo whoo!

*does little ego dance*

You are very right about what you deduced...however; the subtle ego I was referring to was in making the point at all. You are right, I wasn't telling the story to make people think I'm a swell guy...I was telling the story to make a point about how being nice to people is a virtue in and of its own...but then, the ego of that is in my ego thinking first of all, that it has a point to be made, and secondly that it is important to make it.

Yeah, it's the whole modesty or humbleness senaro.. You can be humble or modest, but as soon as you mention that you develop yourself a new subtle ego.. And therein lays something of a paradox, because in order to promote virtues one must speak of them, but in doing so one destroys the virtue by making it egotistic..

There must be more to this and a way around this paradox other than a vow of silence.. But I can't put my finger on it..

• Like 1

Wooo whoo!

*does little ego dance*

Yeah, it's the whole modesty or humbleness senaro.. You can be humble or modest, but as soon as you mention that you develop yourself a new subtle ego.. And therein lays something of a paradox, because in order to promote virtues one must speak of them, but in doing so one destroys the virtue by making it egotistic..

There must be more to this and a way around this paradox other than a vow of silence.. But I can't put my finger on it..

I think it is called....death! :gun:

Actually that is a pretty good analogy of the current situation involving the last election.

This is perfect example.

You didnt click "like." For some reason. I suspect because of my low social skills. If you knew me better, if you noticed at me some similar trait as you have, if you knew from previous conversation my views (and you like them)....in the end if we are friendly I would get that like.

Its all about social skills.

You like post yet you didnt click. See my point?

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

I can safely say that B Randomly and myself, 2,d & 3rd on the list, are far from sceptics..

I wasnt sure about sceptic part.

But Im sure that you and BRandomly have great social skills.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

This is perfect example.

You didnt click "like." For some reason. I suspect because of my low social skills. If you knew me better, if you noticed at me some similar trait as you have, if you knew from previous conversation my views (and you like them)....in the end if we are friendly I would get that like.

Its all about social skills.

You like post yet you didnt click. See my point?

I didn't Like your post because of MY low social skills not yours. I forgot. So, I just went and clicked Like on everything you posted in the last few pages...didn't even read any...just clicked because I'm being nice and don't want to bruise your fragile Ego. :passifier:

See my point?

I didn't Like your post because of MY low social skills not yours. I forgot. So, I just went and clicked Like on everything you posted in the last few pages...didn't even read any...just clicked because I'm being nice and don't want to bruise your fragile Ego. :passifier:

See my point?

My fragile Ego. :blink::lol: You miss the point.

You didnt need to do that.

And (hopefully or sadly?) I dont see your point.

No offence.

• Like 1

I wasnt sure about sceptic part.

But Im sure that you and BRandomly have great social skills.

I can't speak for B, but my online social skills are a lot better than my IRL social skills, and I'm guessing in most cases everyone is like that..

Besides, social skills, how we fit into society, and what level of society we associate with has a lot to do with Ego..

You like alternative rock (Great taste in music btw) and you associate yourself with fringe culture.. This is where your ego is most confortable, these levels of society is where your ego lingers.. You are quite capable of sitting at other levels of soceity, not just fringe or alternative.. The thing that is stoping you imo is Ego.

I can't speak for B, but my online social skills are a lot better than my IRL social skills, and I'm guessing in most cases everyone is like that..

Besides, social skills, how we fit into society, and what level of society we associate with has a lot to do with Ego..

You like alternative rock (Great taste in music btw) and you associate yourself with fringe culture.. This is where your ego is most confortable, these levels of society is where your ego lingers.. You are quite capable of sitting at other levels of soceity, not just fringe or alternative.. The thing that is stoping you imo is Ego.

I take a different perspective: think it is far easier to socialize in real life because there are other aspects to take into account-- e.g. body language-- the personal experience of knowing someone from spending quality time with them. I think online can be a great springboard for starting relationships or opening a door to one, but it can only be surface (for me) without spending time with a person/ or talking to them.

• Like 2

There is a simple solution it is to not worry about what other people may think of you. Take it in to consideration but don't take it to heart. When a person who sees something as egotistical when it isn't there it is their issue not yours.

It is not what is being said but how and why it is being said that it the big deal.

It really isn't a paradox when you think it through.

• Like 2

Another consideration not considered is the number of posts someone has, before we 'like' their comment. Any comments?

I think it is called....death! :gun:

:lol: Defeatest..

There is a simple solution it is to not worry about what other people may think of you. Take it in to consideration but don't take it to heart. When a person who sees something as egotistical when it isn't there it is their issue not yours.

It is not what is being said but how and why it is being said that it the big deal.

It really isn't a paradox when you think it through.

Bingo on the highlighted bit imo, I quite often take that line of defence when someones actions or opinions are agressive.. But there you have it again, I use that as Defence.. And as it is being used as a defensive gesture it is a rather subtle Ego reaction more than a true centered self reaction.. but I think that is a good way to percieve conflict in Ego's, but it's only half of a solution..

I think it has less to do with how we percieve the world and more to do with how we interact with it.. The source of our interations with society are a dead givaway as to whether they are Ego driven or not, But I'm not sure how many people truely know where they seat or source of their interations comes from.. Eeh, it's a hard one to describe, but I think that if the intention behind our interactions are ego driven then the sponsoring emotion or intended outcome from the interation will be one of the following (Shame, Guilt, Apathy, Grief, Fear, Desire, Anger or Pride) Let's call these Emotions the EGO8

If however, even at subtle levels, the Intention behind the interation is not one of the EGO8, even at subtle levels, then the interation is from your True Self, and Not your Ego..

Is this partly what you meant?

I take a different perspective: think it is far easier to socialize in real life because there are other aspects to take into account-- e.g. body language-- the personal experience of knowing someone from spending quality time with them. I think online can be a great springboard for starting relationships or opening a door to one, but it can only be surface (for me) without spending time with a person/ or talking to them.

This is true..

But what I meant was that my online interations are kind of slower, more thoughtfull.

Have to admit to, that on the social front, I'm a bit of a dweeb..

Another consideration not considered is the number of posts someone has, before we 'like' their comment. Any comments?

*sighs*

I think we've killed the like button.

Edited by Professor T