Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

I think it rather silly for people to worry about the count of their likes. Popular appeal has nothing to do with either truth or righteousness. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't occasionally give me one. :yes:

Couldnt agree more

:lol:

This thread is turning into an Ego inflating exersise!

Guy's... I think you all rock! :wub: Your Ego's are awesome!!!

There's just so much liking going on, :lol: ...... And what's not to like!!! :w00t:

So tell me??

Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?

• Like 1

There's just so much liking going on, :lol: ...... And what's not to like!!! :w00t:

So tell me??

Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?

Is water good or bad? It's good if you are thirsty, it's bad if you are sumberged in it. Ego is a defining part of being Human, but I am not happy having Ego control me. Anger and emotions are automatic...but the extent they are allowed to stay in the conscious mind and have an impact depends on how well one can control/recognize one's own ego. I do know when I am me. I know when Ego is driving me...sometimes...sometimes I have to recognize that in retrospect. I care a great deal because we are so much more than our Ego. The more we are able to just tell our Ego to take a nap, I think the happier we are.

• Like 4

So tell me??

I think ego is a good thing/asset-- in application I understand it to be my personal boundaries and the way I define myself from others. I think it is what makes me a unique 'me.' I do think as I mature I am cultivating ego integrity. Personally, I am aware of my egos role in issues, circumstances, and the goals that I am involved in. I think I have a good grasp/understanding of myself and what it is I'm working on/towards when I am unclear I have support and avenues to clarity. For the most part-- I am at the place where I seek fairness and a win win for all involved, when I don't I Learn from it

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

Am to introverted.. I feel the outsider in social occasions..

But once I've had a few beers, then a few more, then a few more, I become the life of the party, lol...

And yet, I find more that we have in common...

• Like 2

...Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?

My ego plateaued about 10 - 12 years ago. I'm happy with who I am and where I'm at in life. I would, if I could, make a couple of changes of course. But, I'm beyond that now.

I'm prouder of the family that I sprung from and the friends that I currently have though. They are amazing people.

As for your questions, while my ego sits in the back seat now it does on occasion try to tell me how to drive. I don't listen very often. :)

• Like 3

I'm debating if I have one or not. It's kind of hard to dissociate from things that are truly part of yourself. I'm happy with who I am and with what I am doing; that's all that matters.

• Like 4

I'm debating if I have one or not. It's kind of hard to dissociate from things that are truly part of yourself. I'm happy with who I am and with what I am doing; that's all that matters.

Of course you want to have an ego; if nothing else, have enough ego to want to become Enlightened (the Buddhist concept of getting rid of your ego).

My ego plateaued about 10 - 12 years ago. I'm happy with who I am and where I'm at in life. I would, if I could, make a couple of changes of course. But, I'm beyond that now.

We start off full of ego and ambition, ready to take on the world. Life comes along with a big 2-by-4 and whack us upside the head a few times and knocks most of it out of us. Not pretty but inevitable.
  • Like 2

We start off full of ego and ambition, ready to take on the world. Life comes along with a big 2-by-4 and whack us upside the head a few times and knocks most of it out of us. Not pretty but inevitable.

My experience wasn't quite so dramatic. After the age of 38 - 40, I realized that (outside of winning a lottery, which I don't even buy tickets for) my life will continue along the same line.

I'm happy with that. :)

• Like 1

That's sad and truly disappointing. I'm glad my life isn't anything like your life. Carpe diem. Be here now. Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings. Death might be inevitable but I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

I think ego is a good thing/asset-- in application I understand it to be my personal boundaries and the way I define myself from others. I think it is what makes me a unique 'me.' I do think as I mature I am cultivating ego integrity. Personally, I am aware of my egos role in issues, circumstances, and the goals that I am involved in. I think I have a good grasp/understanding of myself and what it is I'm working on/towards when I am unclear I have support and avenues to clarity. For the most part-- I am at the place where I seek fairness and a win win for all involved, when I don't I Learn from it

A healthy ego is by far the best character asset anyone can have. "Who am I, what, and why" (ego) is the greatest endeavor for our Selves since it drives the constant evolution of self-identity and enlightens our individual and group Otherness.

Great post, Sherapy (Best Screen Name Ever!!!!).

• Like 1

Hah! I have someone hoodwinked!

I wouldn't say great.. I would say less than or equal to average. I'm an introvert, so talking to people isn't really my thing. I can talk to people, and am ok at it.. I just prefer not to.

Small chat goes into social skills. There are people who say more with less words. In one penetrating sentence.

• Like 1

This is utter nonsense imo..

We do not start off full of Ego.. We start off as true selfs and true beings.. Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends. It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..

I look back on my childhood as some of the most exciting times of my life. Life meant more. Life was more fun, more real, more meaningfull when I was young and my Ego was being formed. There was a purpose in every little thing.. I felt closer to the heavens and the Earth, I felt more real and more alive than I ever have before.. Nowadays, being older, having layers upon layers of Ego, socieital programming & the psycosis of civilisation to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..

• Like 1

We do not start off full of Ego.. We start off as true selfs and true beings.. Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends. It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..

I look back on my childhood as some of the most exciting times of my life. Life meant more. Life was more fun, more real, more meaningfull when I was young and my Ego was being formed. There was a purpose in every little thing.. I felt closer to the heavens and the Earth, I felt more real and more alive than I ever have before.. Nowadays, being older, having layers upon layers of Ego, socieital programming & the psycosis of civilisation to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..

If anybody ever made the mistake of giving me the keys to 10 downing street my ego would cause me to -

1. Have myself crowned God.

2. Spend my days wondering around the House of Commons in a toga and wearing a crown of leaves.

3. Have my 2 mile high statue constructed.

4. Pass laws so everybody has to worship me.

5. I'd have slaves who I'd be mean too just because I can.

6. I'd have favourites who I'd reward with riches and delegate power too. They would mostly be fit blonde women!

7. I'd have a day of the week named after me.

8. I'd carve myself out a little empire somewhere.

9. I'd have gladiator battles inside Wembley where criminals would have to fight to the death for our amusement.

10. I'd have a harem constructed for my 100 beautiful wives.

11. Whenever I meet someone if I dont like them I'd have them thrown to the lions.

12. I'd become the countries top pop artist, film actor, author, athelete, model and scientist. My rivals would get eaten by the lions!

13. I'd rewrite history so no one else comes close to being as great as me. Anybody who speaks out gets eaten by the lions!

14. Nelson would disappear off his column and get replaced by yours truely!

15. I'd have the largest palace in history constructed for me.

I'd avoid assassination by tripling the wages of my soliders, giving them land and allowing them to have 10 wives each. Any problems and I'd send them in to machine gun all the revolters and crush them under the tracks of their tanks muwhahahaha!

• Like 1

That's a tad bit creepy, I had that revelation in high school, which in turn led me to snap(Doing most of the damage to myself instead of others, that existential depression post tells part of that story) then going off and doing things my own way.

• Like 1

I find the efforts above to blame ego on things outside ourselves rather revealing, in two ways -- that ego is something perhaps to be ashamed of and that we are not egoistic until we learn it.

Anyone observing children knows that they are chock full of ego. It's not something we acquire. It's probably an instinct that aids survival during childhood and even later.

That society knocks the ego out of us was a metaphor. We all think we will rise to the top, but that is impossible. Therefore our expectations and ego need to be knocked down a few pegs if we are to adjust. For most people this is not a pleasant time.

Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends. It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..

Hence the equation, I AM + Anything else = Ego! :tu:

There was a time when we didn't know we were supposed to 'act your age', or 'grow up'. We were just, I AM...then came the definitions...by society, by family, by friends... and we put on those definitions like a piece of clothing and we wore it, and we wear it. Then, when we started really questioning...Who am I?...we began creating our own definitions, a new suit of clothes, on top of the other ones...I am this...I am that...I am not this...I am not that...defining ourselves...because that is what society told us to do...know thyself! But we don't really know ourselves at all. We know the definition of ourselves...THAT is Ego.

to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..

That is the part that the vast majority of humans do not get (imo). Most of us go through life never even knowing that, 1. it is all cr,p and 2. within us lies the power to override the definitions.

The real definition of a human is To Be. Not to be this or to be that...but just to be...to be free of the definitions that rule over us.

Thank you Professor for creating such an excellent thread. :yes: Because it gives me a chance to express myself as. I AM + Philosopher. And in the end that = Ego. And I know that, but I also know that there are those reading this that may not know and so I must teach them and save them from their ignorance.. And that gives me a chance to express myself as, I AM + Savior. Which in the end also = Ego. But I know that as well...there are just so many layers....

Edited by joc
  • Like 3

If anybody ever made the mistake of giving me the keys to 10 downing street my ego would cause me to -

Your ego isn't quite big enough.. :lol:

Why settle on 10 Downing Street? Take the White house & Kremlin?

That's a tad bit creepy, I had that revelation in high school, which in turn led me to snap(Doing most of the damage to myself instead of others, that existential depression post tells part of that story) then going off and doing things my own way.

Hmmmmmmm, the "Then going off and doing things your own way" sounds intreeging..

I wonder if this debating if you have an Ego or not is a strong Ego born of "going off and doing things your own way?"

I'm happy with who I am and with what I am doing; that's all that matters.

Dont get me wrong, but the above statement sounds to me like an Ego response.

Hmmmmmmm, the "Then going off and doing things your own way" sounds intreeging..

It's liberating to basically not concerning yourself with other people's opinions on how you should act or think, how you should dress. No asking permission to take a sick day, not having to run around trying to get to places before they close, It is quite nice. How often do you actually get to go outside right when you want to? Basically stress free besides small details I can brush off and not really worrying about.

I wonder if this debating if you have an Ego or not is a strong Ego born of "going off and doing things your own way?"

Very much so, after being told for more then 20 years that you are not living life as you are supposed to, it is a huge battle, am I doing it just because I want to, or just doing it to prove them wrong. I've been told all my life you can't make a legitimate living of off drugs yet my main source of income is legally selling marijuana to cancer patients. *Hell it could even be some urge to stay in the former family business. I didn't do that because I wanted to though, I wanted to work for myself and ran in to one of my neighbors complaining about the price of it coming from dispensaries. So my knowledge from watching grow shops, having an easily farm able product, and pretty much State protection made it easy to jump in to, but that big double finger salute to my school is as well nice.

If it didn't fall basically in to my lap it would of been one of my last choices. It's hard to tell.

Dont get me wrong, but the above statement sounds to me like an Ego response.

Actually the only thing I know that isn't a response from my ego.

*added

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 2

This conversation has been going since i started here,and its not politics so instead of reading through all the pages what's this all about haha

Well there seem to be some people trying to say that we (or at least they) aren't egoistic, but they can't say it up front 'cause that would be bragging, and hence being egoistic, so they confuse the daylights out of it all.

Hahaha frank you explain things sometimes better than anyone

I find the efforts above to blame ego on things outside ourselves rather revealing, in two ways -- that ego is something perhaps to be ashamed of and that we are not egoistic until we learn it.

Awareness of Ego imo is most important.. Being ashamed of it creates a subtle ego. Understanding and controlling it is where empowerment over it lays.. Being ashamed is pointless and probably an Ego response.. If your thoughts cause shame then ask yourself where are those feelings comming from? memory? You own your memories, you own your thoughts and it's in your power to accept that shame then forgive and move on.. Entertaining shame, anger, grief or other disempowering feelings is Ego controlling us imo.

Anyone observing children knows that they are chock full of ego. It's not something we acquire. It's probably an instinct that aids survival during childhood and even later.

Nope.. The point is missed..

Children are having Ego's developed.. They are in the process of Ego development and as a result seem more egotistic when in reality their developing ego's are just testing the waters of society.. A prime example of this is the following statement.. "My dad is better than your dad." Their young ego's are testing the limits, as a result, egotistic behavior is being checked, confirmed or shot down by those around them who are tickling these young ego's with praise or scorn..

Edited to add: My dad is better than your dad imo signals the start of subtle ego development.

That society knocks the ego out of us was a metaphor. We all think we will rise to the top, but that is impossible. Therefore our expectations and ego need to be knocked down a few pegs if we are to adjust. For most people this is not a pleasant time.

True, but society also builds more ego's than it burns..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

I know i have a ego,if i couldnt control mine this whole topic would fail jk hahaha