Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

Man, You would be a great therapist though very easy to talk to.

So who would you say has the biggest ego you have ran across on here?Not trying to put you on the spot or anything lol

Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends. It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..

Hence the equation, I AM + Anything else = Ego! :tu:

There was a time when we didn't know we were supposed to 'act your age', or 'grow up'. We were just, I AM...then came the definitions...by society, by family, by friends... and we put on those definitions like a piece of clothing and we wore it, and we wear it. Then, when we started really questioning...Who am I?...we began creating our own definitions, a new suit of clothes, on top of the other ones...I am this...I am that...I am not this...I am not that...defining ourselves...because that is what society told us to do...know thyself! But we don't really know ourselves at all. We know the definition of ourselves...THAT is Ego.

to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..

That is the part that the vast majority of humans do not get (imo). Most of us go through life never even knowing that, 1. it is all cr,p and 2. within us lies the power to override the definitions.

The real definition of a human is To Be. Not to be this or to be that...but just to be...to be free of the definitions that rule over us.

Thank you Professor for creating such an excellent thread. :yes: Because it gives me a chance to express myself as. I AM + Philosopher. And in the end that = Ego. And I know that, but I also know that there are those reading this that may not know and so I must teach them and save them from their ignorance.. And that gives me a chance to express myself as, I AM + Savior. Which in the end also = Ego. But I know that as well...there are just so many layers....

:tu: :tu:

Two Thumbs up because I almost agree on everything you wrote here..

Where we differ is the real definition of Human..

IMO, The real definition of a human is not just to be..

To be is consiousness..

The real difinition of a human imo is to Imagine, Invent, Inspire..

• Like 3

Your ego isn't quite big enough.. :lol:

Why settle on 10 Downing Street? Take the White house & Kremlin?

Even better take the whole world lol

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Even better take the whole world lol

Lol.There's no stopping him now!

:tu: :tu:

Two Thumbs up because I almost agree on everything you wrote here..

Where we differ is the real definition of Human..

IMO, The real definition of a human is not just to be..

To be is consiousness..

The real difinition of a human imo is to Imagine, Invent, Inspire..

When we imagine, invent, inspire...are we not creating Ego? Example: I imagine a world free of violence, free of hunger, free of pain...the reality of our world is never going to be that...but in imagining it...have I not created a subtle Ego that says, I know the way the world should be? And, as a result of that Ego, we might formulate a plan to bring about our imagined world into reality. Does that not then create another less subtle Ego that says, I am the savior of the world? Perhaps that Ego then inflates itself and begins to control the plan in such a way as to create yet another non-subtle but very much in one's face Ego that says, I am God worship me or die?

• Like 2

When we imagine, invent, inspire...are we not creating Ego? Example: I imagine a world free of violence, free of hunger, free of pain...the reality of our world is never going to be that...but in imagining it...have I not created a subtle Ego that says, I know the way the world should be? And, as a result of that Ego, we might formulate a plan to bring about our imagined world into reality. Does that not then create another less subtle Ego that says, I am the savior of the world? Perhaps that Ego then inflates itself and begins to control the plan in such a way as to create yet another non-subtle but very much in one's face Ego that says, I am God worship me or die?

hmmmmmmm, we're not creating ego if we're not allowing ego to control our Imagination, Invention or Inspirations..

Imagination isn't projected into the world like ego normally is. It is internal, subjective and introspective.. I think in learning to control Ego this is the root because there are self indugent though streams which is ego stamping it's authority on your self. thought's, when they do occur have multiple points of origin.. Not all thoughts are yours believe it or not, some belong to societies Ego, some belong to your own layers of Ego.. Take for instance your own thought stream of "the reality of our world is never going to be that" that, is imo something of a Overtangle that is creating a self defeating purpose.. That line of thought makes you a defeatest.. & hey, I might be wrong, I've only been aware of Overtangles for a few weeks now, you might find this interesting http://www.wholistic...m/83SwackJudith ..

Invention is projected physically into the world. The intention behind the invention speaks of whether it's egotistic or not. If the invention is self serving it's likely to be egotistic. If it's purpose is serving others or the rest of humanity then it isn't imo.. (There's more to this, lot's more that I don't really understand myself.. Take for instance Nicola Tesla's inventions, which were intended for the service of others. They were turned against humanity by J.P Morgan,) This I think has a lot to do with EGO levels of consciousness from Overtangles or Wetico psychosis) http://www.realitysa...eatest_epidemic

Inspiration is projected emotionally through physical means.. A piece of art, a well worded phrase, these are the things that enguage emotions in others and if said emotions one is targeting through these arts are of the disempowering kind, then ego is controlling it. If not, then again we're talking about something born of the true self..

Check out this art thread http://www.unexplain...pic=237524&st=0

The Intention behind most of my art is showing Aliens in human situations, showing them in a human light of understanding rather than anything negative (which is how most of hollywood likes to portray them)

P.S.. If you like my first post in the Art thread It'll end up on the most liked page..Woooo Whoo! (Not that I'm projecting a self indulgent Ego intention or anything..... :ph34r:...... ok, maybe a little...)

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

hmmmmmmm, we're not creating ego if we're not allowing ego to control our Imagination, Invention or Inspirations..

Imagination isn't projected into the world like ego normally is. It is internal, subjective and introspective.. I think in learning to control Ego this is the root because there are self indugent though streams which is ego stamping it's authority on your self. thought's, when they do occur have multiple points of origin.. Not all thoughts are yours believe it or not, some belong to societies Ego, some belong to your own layers of Ego.. Take for instance your own thought stream of "the reality of our world is never going to be that" that, is imo something of a Overtangle that is creating a self defeating purpose.. That line of thought makes you a defeatest.. & hey, I might be wrong, I've only been aware of Overtangles for a few weeks now, you might find this interesting http://www.wholistic...m/83SwackJudith ..

Invention is projected physically into the world. The intention behind the invention speaks of whether it's egotistic or not. If the invention is self serving it's likely to be egotistic. If it's purpose is serving others or the rest of humanity then it isn't imo.. (There's more to this, lot's more that I don't really understand myself.. Take for instance Nicola Tesla's inventions, which were intended for the service of others. They were turned against humanity by J.P Morgan,) This I think has a lot to do with EGO levels of consciousness from Overtangles or Wetico psychosis) http://www.realitysa...eatest_epidemic

Inspiration is projected emotionally through physical means.. A piece of art, a well worded phrase, these are the things that enguage emotions in others and if said emotions one is targeting through these arts are of the disempowering kind, then ego is controlling it. If not, then again we're talking about something born of the true self..

Check out this art thread http://www.unexplain...pic=237524&st=0

The Intention behind most of my art is showing Aliens in human situations, showing them in a human light of understanding rather than anything negative (which is how most of hollywood likes to portray them)

P.S.. If you like my first post in the Art thread It'll end up on the most liked page..Woooo Whoo! (Not that I'm projecting a self indulgent Ego intention or anything..... :ph34r:...... ok, maybe a little...)

I have to agree with your entire post. :yes:

When we create...we create...when we deem ourself to be 'creator'...then we create something else...a definition of ourselves that lends itself to ego.

I haven't studied much about the ego at all really. But you obviously have and you know your stuff...so ....kudos for that. Mostly what I have concerned myself with is how the Emotion of Anger plays out. I usually find through introspection that the emotion of anger was the direct result of a 'roughed up' ego. When someone cause me real pain, it seldom angers me...but when someone strikes a blow to my ME...ooohh, that is something else entirely! And then, the entire mindset of Forgiveness is for the Forgiver comes up...but that is probably better left for another thread...except for the aspect that 'forgiving' is a great moderator and controller of ego.

• Like 1

I've been working on taming my ego for years, but haven't always been successful. The trick is, not just humility, but not living under labels. In certain esoteric circles they call labeling oneself, selfsabotage. Anyway, that's were it usually starts, even from childhood, by someone giving us labels and us labeling ourselves as we grow up. Therefore, we define ourselves under "i" and the labels follow from there on out.

It's very tricky, but you haft to observe yourself from outside yourself and how you react to other people. You don't really ask yourself any questions, you just observe and take notice.

Ego is a play on words, "Eeeh, go!". It means, let go of your prejudices, and think innocently.

Your ego is really this crying baby that thinks other people should take care of your body, mind and soul for you.. And actual babies do need that, but growing up is all about becoming self-capable of taking care of those 3 things. That's why resources like the internet, friends, tv, social media, are all vital to good health.

The crying baby can get really intelligent about it's needs, but the noble choice is always to learn how to take care of things on one's own.

But uhh, ain't nobody who never cries on the inside, so don't think there's anything wrong with tears.

Edited by JeremyjJstone

Crying is one of the body's ways of removing the brain chemicals that we experience as sadness. The relief it provides is temporary.

Ego is a play on words, "Eeeh, go!". It means, let go of your prejudices, and think innocently.

Your ego is really this crying baby that thinks other people should take care of your body, mind and soul for you.. And actual babies do need that, but growing up is all about becoming self-capable of taking care of those 3 things. That's why resources like the internet, friends, tv, social media, are all vital to good health.

The crying baby can get really intelligent about it's needs, but the noble choice is always to learn how to take care of things on one's own.

But uhh, ain't nobody who never cries on the inside, so don't think there's anything wrong with tears.

Not trying to belittle what you are saying,but just seeing the internet,tv,social media,are vital to good health just makes me lmfao hahaha.Having friends is about all i can agree with right there.

OK, this is quite sad, and sorry if someone's already figured out how to do this and posted it here (it's a long thread and I can't make the time to read it all), but for older members (those who have been here for a long time), there is a relatively easy way to find out your own percentage of likes, similar to the table Professor created (at least I think it was him who created it).

If you go to an advanced forum search and type your username into the 'find author' text field, then highlight the 'As Posts' in the 'Display results' field, after which you click the forum search button, it will bring up all your posts. Or at least 40 pages of them. There are 25 posts per page and the date that the 'like' system was brought in was the 28th of April, 2012. So if you trace the pages all the way back to that date, then multiply the number of pages by 25, adding or subtracting any stragglers, you have your total number of posts since that date.

After which you now have total number of posts and total number of likes. (Likes / posts) x 100 = percentage of likes.

I feel pretty pathetic right now. Not because I have a low percentage or anything, but because I felt an overwhelming urge to find that out. Lol.

• Like 2

Come on. I joined years before the like system! I realise that im not entirely popular on this site because of some strong views or controversial posts i have made, and i have to admit that since the like system my ego has taken a bit of a dive.

Especially when you make a post that you think deserves a like and no one will oblige you. But i am happy in my real life and have an interest in the unexplained so where else will i hang out online?

Edit to add. I wonder if the like system has killed off a few members who realised they weren't quite as popular online as their ego thought?

I wouldn't worry about it mate, according to my calculations you have 68.83% :D

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about it mate, according to my calculations you have 68.83% :D

With that rating I might be more popular than Prof T. My Ego is skyrocketing B)

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

With that rating i'd be more popular than Prof T. My Ego is skyrocketing B)

More than mine, which is at 63%. Hehe.

• Like 2

I have to agree with your entire post. :yes:

When we create...we create...when we deem ourself to be 'creator'...then we create something else...a definition of ourselves that lends itself to ego.

I haven't studied much about the ego at all really. But you obviously have and you know your stuff...so ....kudos for that. Mostly what I have concerned myself with is how the Emotion of Anger plays out. I usually find through introspection that the emotion of anger was the direct result of a 'roughed up' ego. When someone cause me real pain, it seldom angers me...but when someone strikes a blow to my ME...ooohh, that is something else entirely! And then, the entire mindset of Forgiveness is for the Forgiver comes up...but that is probably better left for another thread...except for the aspect that 'forgiving' is a great moderator and controller of ego.

Lol, I'm no expert that's for sure.. Thank's for the Kudo's though..

OK, this is quite sad, and sorry if someone's already figured out how to do this and posted it here (it's a long thread and I can't make the time to read it all), but for older members (those who have been here for a long time), there is a relatively easy way to find out your own percentage of likes, similar to the table Professor created (at least I think it was him who created it).

If you go to an advanced forum search and type your username into the 'find author' text field, then highlight the 'As Posts' in the 'Display results' field, after which you click the forum search button, it will bring up all your posts. Or at least 40 pages of them. There are 25 posts per page and the date that the 'like' system was brought in was the 28th of April, 2012. So if you trace the pages all the way back to that date, then multiply the number of pages by 25, adding or subtracting any stragglers, you have your total number of posts since that date.

After which you now have total number of posts and total number of likes. (Likes / posts) x 100 = percentage of likes.

I feel pretty pathetic right now. Not because I have a low percentage or anything, but because I felt an overwhelming urge to find that out. Lol.

That's Awesome!!!!!!!! :clap:

The "Overwhelimg Urge" was your Ego going "WTF!!! Where am I on this list!!"

What an awesome example of Ego in action.. :lol: & Ego controlling you..

With that rating I might be more popular than Prof T. My Ego is skyrocketing B)

You migh be right...

:P

I am finding that when I make posts that are honest, from the true self, and ignoring other peoples ego's that I dont get any likes at all..

I've been trying to post without Ego.. When this happens, err, well, some of my posts could easily be misinterpreted as offensive or even as flaimebaiting..

Edited to add: Let's face it, sometimes we edit our comments down because we don't want to offend or bruise someones ego... but what we really want to say cannot be said without offending Ego's half the time.. well, at least I know I do..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 5

This conversation has been going since i started here,and its not politics so instead of reading through all the pages what's this all about haha

Here we're discussing what makes most of human society tick.. Ego..

Think of Ego as The program's that makes most human computers tick..

Here we're discussing what makes most of human society tick.. Ego..

Think of Ego as The program's that makes most human computers tick..

Ahhhh......... I have no ego,yet i have plenty!I plead zen haha

Ahhhh......... I have no ego,yet i have plenty!I plead zen haha

Well PFFFT! We only have to look at your avatar to see what size ego you have! (Only joking :D ! Welcome to UM)

• Like 1

I can't understand all the posters who are getting their collective knickers in a knot about 'likes' ....... has it never occurred to you that the people giving you 'likes' could well be real d!*ks, whose opinions you despise? :lol:

• Like 3

Lol, I'm no expert that's for sure.. Thank's for the Kudo's though..

That's Awesome!!!!!!!! :clap:

The "Overwhelimg Urge" was your Ego going "WTF!!! Where am I on this list!!"

What an awesome example of Ego in action.. :lol: & Ego controlling you..

You migh be right...

:P

I am finding that when I make posts that are honest, from the true self, and ignoring other peoples ego's that I dont get any likes at all..

I've been trying to post without Ego.. When this happens, err, well, some of my posts could easily be misinterpreted as offensive or even as flaimebaiting..

Edited to add: Let's face it, sometimes we edit our comments down because we don't want to offend or bruise someones ego... but what we really want to say cannot be said without offending Ego's half the time.. well, at least I know I do..

I mostly post silly stuff - it's just my nature, and I try very hard to not get caught up in verbal hissy fits with people whose posts I might happen to not agree with... Still, I try to be (basically) honest with my opinions - when I give them... And using Expand's formula on my posts it seems that people like 'silly stuff'... But you are right - It does seem that the majority of us edit our comments down for one reason or another... Perhaps we are basically 'non-confrontational' - or perhaps -deep down- we realize that there is little to be gained by getting into an ego contest with a person who is essentially a nameless stranger that we will most likely never actually meet...

Not that I wouldn't like to meet any of you... I'm just not sure if I can live up to the 'hype'... (my antlers are not nearly so large as my avatar might suggest :( )

• Like 1

I can't understand all the posters who are getting their collective knickers in a knot about 'likes' ....... has it never occurred to you that the people giving you 'likes' could well be real d!*ks, whose opinions you despise? :lol:

Hahahaha i only like something if i agree or get a good laugh out of it.Though on 1 or 2 topics i have done exactly what you just described gave a like just to be a arrogant *ss haha

Damn it! You figured out my schmiel!

There are a lot of people's posts I like but don't hit the like button...mainly because I'm not logged in.

I don't think the like button should be used as a popularity contest. If you particularly agree with something someone says...that's fine, but to like someone's every post simply because you are friends with them seems to defeat the purpose.

I have logged in just to "like" an exceptional post though.

• Like 2

There are a lot of people's posts I like but don't hit the like button...mainly because I'm not logged in.

I don't think the like button should be used as a popularity contest. If you particularly agree with something someone says...that's fine, but to like someone's every post simply because you are friends with them seems to defeat the purpose.

I have logged in just to "like" an exceptional post though

am waiting ego expectantly for the like.. :lol:

Know what you mean about using the like button for particular posts.. There was one occasion where I read something, liked it, then realised that the person who wrote it was a right moron who I've never agreed with.. :lol: (that's when I discovered you can un-like)

• Like 2