Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

am waiting ego expectantly for the like.. :lol:

Know what you mean about using the like button for particular posts.. There was one occasion where I read something, liked it, then realised that the person who wrote it was a right moron who I've never agreed with.. :lol: (that's when I discovered you can un-like)

You got your like.. :st

I'm glad I'm not the only one.. :whistle:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Well, now, how to be liked.

Never disagree. If you can't agree fully, emphasize the points of agreement and soften, soften, soften. If you agree, say so and then add further supporting argument.

If the guy's an SOB or an idiot, don't respond.

Be inspiring and humorous. Hopefully both.

Be brief. Long messages, no matter how good, only get read by the regulars. Use short sentences and paragraphs, but don't number or bullet things.

Be generous with your own "likes," even when the message is marginal.

Be humble. Never be dogmatic.

Be polite.

Don't use non-standard styles or grammar or whatever. At the same time take care your English is not too perfect. Be colloquial.

Enjoy yourself.

Of course, by doing all these things, you may not actually say much, but at least people will like you.

• Like 1

Never disagree. If you can't agree fully, emphasize the points of agreement and soften, soften, soften. If you agree, say so and then add further supporting argument.

Be brief. Long messages, no matter how good, only get read by the regulars. Use short sentences and paragraphs, but don't number or bullet things.

Be polite.

Don't use non-standard styles or grammar or whatever. At the same time take care your English is not too perfect. Be colloquial.

Enjoy yourself.

Of course, by doing all these things, you may not actually say much, but at least people will like you.

Did you rip off those rules from the miss america pageant frank? hahaha jk

• Like 3

Well I'm good at making rules. Actually observing them is the hard part.

Hahaha you have been here about the same amount of time as me,sometimes when i post something then you post i feel like a tv show when one is sitting there with a angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other shoulder.You always say what the good side should say,the other side i listen to equally,then being the hard headed *ss i am i just say what's in my head lmao hahaha

Hahaha you have been here about the same amount of time as me,

Well then it's obvious I post too much.

Be polite.

Enjoy yourself.

Enjoying myself is the main goal...I don't come here looking for drama.

I am always to the point...short and sweet.

I can almost always find a common ground we can agree on.

I've been here long enough to know who not to bother arguing with...it's a lost cause.

I don't waste my time on idiots.

I don't spend precious time arguing with people and trying to convert them to my way of thinking.

I give my opinion and that's pretty much it.

Take me or leave me...I don't care. :tu:

• Like 3

Well then it's obvious I post too much.

LMAO nahhh i enjoy reading other's thoughts and opinions more than stating my own most of the time.Here recently training has picked up so most of my ability to go back and forth on opinions has been used up trying to either hit or try not to be hit haha

Enjoying myself is the main goal...I don't come here looking for drama.

I am always to the point...short and sweet.

I can almost always find a common ground we can agree on.

I've been here long enough to know who not to bother arguing with...it's a lost cause.

I don't waste my time on idiots.

I don't spend precious time arguing with people and trying to convert them to my way of thinking.

I give my opinion and that's pretty much it.

Take me or leave me...I don't care. :tu:

Same here michelle if it cant be done face to face "arguing'is pointless just have a good debate!

• Like 2

Same here michelle if it cant be done face to face "arguing'is pointless just have a good debate!

At the risk of only looking for more "likes" i agree with you. :tu:

• Like 1

am waiting ego expectantly for the like.. :lol:

Know what you mean about using the like button for particular posts.. There was one occasion where I read something, liked it, then realised that the person who wrote it was a right moron who I've never agreed with.. :lol: (that's when I discovered you can un-like)

Professor T, you're a shameless 'likewhore' ...and I mean that in a respectful sense. :)

• Like 1

At the risk of only looking for more "likes" i agree with you. :tu:

Had to give it to ya haha :lol:

• Like 1

Professor T, you're a shameless 'likewhore' ...and I mean that in a respectful sense. :)

LMAO hahaha

LMAO!

:lol:

That's Awesome!!!!!!!! :clap:

The "Overwhelimg Urge" was your Ego going "WTF!!! Where am I on this list!!"

What an awesome example of Ego in action.. :lol: & Ego controlling you..

Yeah I'd have to agree with you there. Though my ego is plain to see from my avatar.

• Like 2

There are a lot of people's posts I like but don't hit the like button...mainly because I'm not logged in.

I don't think the like button should be used as a popularity contest. If you particularly agree with something someone says...that's fine, but to like someone's every post simply because you are friends with them seems to defeat the purpose.

I have logged in just to "like" an exceptional post though.

I've actually changed the way I surf the site due to this. I now just stay logged in all the time because I got tired of logging in to like someone's post, logging out, then having to log back in a few minutes later to show my appreciation for another post.

Now I'm an Anonymous Ninja. :ph34r:

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Seriously? You 'unliked' because you didn't like the person? I have had to grit my teeth a couple of times when liking a comment by someone I didn't like, but I do it if I think that particular post is good.

• Like 2

I now have scroll finger after reading pretty much all of these 25 pages of this thread. And as I sit here right now, preparing what to contribute, I actually have no idea what I had intended. Is the topic still online Ego, or is it how do you use the considerations of your like.

I will like a post that is well-written, possibly sane and... okay now I'm having a deja-vu, because I know I have already wrote about the like somewhere else on the forum, but I can't actually remember where.

Anyway. Ego. Yes we all have one. Sometimes Ego is annoying and sometimes it's actually useful to inspire fruitful production.But in regards to Ego and the Internet, it is an entirely whole different kettle of synapses firing in entirely different directions. Just have to know which ones to dodge and which ones to embrace.

'I smite thee with the ray of my immense Ego!'

*do not like

'Hey, I know I have a big head, but you know that is what makes me... ME'

:tu:

Edited by Asadora
  • Like 1

Seriously? You 'unliked' because you didn't like the person? I have had to grit my teeth a couple of times when liking a comment by someone I didn't like, but I do it if I think that particular post is good.

Lol same way Ouija here, same way.

• Like 1

Same here, I may not agree with everything the way a person thinks about some subjects, but when they make a post that has truth to it or makes me laugh, I can't help but hit the like button, despite whatever my feelings are towards them. I think the trick is not to take what they say personally, which a lot of us tend to do on the internet. And possibly step into their shoes and understand why they think or believe in what they say from their point of view. Also, on the internet, without body language and facial expressions, it's hard to gauge what feelings are really behind their words. So forming a judgement about someone from a post, is really a crapshoot by making assumptions when we're not face to face.

It seems to me that what we really don't like, is some of the persons thoughts and not the individual specifically, because their thoughts or beliefs can change over time. Yet in real life, there's probably a 50/50 chance we'd get along with that person who's thoughts we don't always agree with. There's probably a chance you'd find something in common with them, despite the disagreements. I think we all tend to paint people black and white on the internet because of their thoughts/beliefs and that's we're we get into problems and take things personally.

• Like 4

Lol, That's when I discovered you can un-like..

In some very rare cases, I find myself conflicted.. "To like, or not to like, that is the question" :lol:

I have un-liked before because I have mis-read peoples posts, because I have simply liked the wrong post, or because of intuitive feeling I have felt that though the post deserves a like the person behind it does not.. Like you I have gritted my teeth and liked a post by someone who's opinions I've dis-liked, but there have been rare occasions where I've disliked out of egotistical spite.. (my ego holding a grudge) Is not something I do now...

Also, and I wonder if many others have noticed this????

But in threads where there is a clear camp between right and wrong or a Team A v's Team B the Like button is used as a supporting function rather than a click of appreciation.. I've noticed this in play in the middle east Forum threads where you have Team A (Israel supporters) v's Team B (Palestine supporters). Someone who is reading such a thread and who supports one side or the other will often use the Like function to pump up the ego of their team..

• Like 1

Lol, That's when I discovered you can un-like..

In some very rare cases, I find myself conflicted.. "To like, or not to like, that is the question" :lol:

I have un-liked before because I have mis-read peoples posts, because I have simply liked the wrong post, or because of intuitive feeling I have felt that though the post deserves a like the person behind it does not.. Like you I have gritted my teeth and liked a post by someone who's opinions I've dis-liked, but there have been rare occasions where I've disliked out of egotistical spite.. (my ego holding a grudge) Is not something I do now...

Also, and I wonder if many others have noticed this????

But in threads where there is a clear camp between right and wrong or a Team A v's Team B the Like button is used as a supporting function rather than a click of appreciation.. I've noticed this in play in the middle east Forum threads where you have Team A (Israel supporters) v's Team B (Palestine supporters). Someone who is reading such a thread and who supports one side or the other will often use the Like function to pump up the ego of their team..

I think the 'like' button serves several different functions, but I wonder just how many posters realise this?

Yes, I've used it as 'support' for another poster when we're in a minority and a lot of others are wading in against our point of view.

• Like 1

I now have scroll finger after reading pretty much all of these 25 pages of this thread. And as I sit here right now, preparing what to contribute, I actually have no idea what I had intended. Is the topic still online Ego, or is it how do you use the considerations of your like.

I will like a post that is well-written, possibly sane and... okay now I'm having a deja-vu, because I know I have already wrote about the like somewhere else on the forum, but I can't actually remember where.

Anyway. Ego. Yes we all have one. Sometimes Ego is annoying and sometimes it's actually useful to inspire fruitful production.But in regards to Ego and the Internet, it is an entirely whole different kettle of synapses firing in entirely different directions. Just have to know which ones to dodge and which ones to embrace.

'I smite thee with the ray of my immense Ego!'

*do not like

'Hey, I know I have a big head, but you know that is what makes me... ME'

:tu:

Lol, yeah, this thread hasn't stopped, and you are right to wonder if it's still about Ego, Which is most certainly is...

I started the "Who's the most liked list" to get peoples ego's exposed, and it has done wonders in exposing people's Ego's.. There's been a lot of chatter about the like button since I started the list, and most of this chatter, 90% or more of it, has been Ego exposing it's self because of the list..

This thread is more than just Ego, and more than just on-line ego imo.. I must admit that I've learned a lot from everyone who's posted here. I wanted to learn more about Ego in myself, and through this exposure I have.

To use a computer analogy, Ego is the Interfacing operating system of us human beings... And us human beings hardly understand it, and as a result we hardly understand ourselves so wonder though our lives in something of a daydream.. Ego presses our buttons, and we don't have control over the hundreds of programs we are being put through.. When our actions are automated, when our thoughts seem instinctive, and when life in general feels bland we are being controled by Ego and other more deeply rooted controling forces control us.. Understanding Ego, i think, is the beginning of a very empowering process.. and by empowering I mean the life changing world rocking kind.. Once you understand the operating system of the computer, there's so much more you can achieve with the computer, such as running or even creating programs that we truely want in our lives, and not the crap that's fed to us..

Ego is incredibly predictable when one learns to identify it in themselves. Ego is very easy to manipulate, people do it to you and me and each other every day on every week around the world.. Once people become aware of their Ego's & subtle ego's they learn how to control it.. And from there-on-in I think people learn to see and manipulate the ego in others as a result of knowing themselves.. This gives people who are "Ego Aware" a lot of power, because they can use their awareness to manipulate & control the actions of others, (Self serving & disempowering) or use it to help others become "Ego Aware" which makes being controlled by others at an Ego level almost impossible (Serving others & Empowering them).. Either way, Ego Awareness = power.

I guess a good analogy of peoples ego being addressed and used against them would be to have a look at the entertainment and advertising world. Big name actors are selling their wares and goods to your Ego, not to you.. The Like function list is another good example of how the existence of such a tool can be used to maipulate others by addressing ego.

Edited to Add: Hope this thread continues because it's empowering stuff..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if this is what is normally done, or if it's just me that sees the following as a pattern:

Have you noticed that whenever you get a notification of someone liking your post, and you go to see that post for yourself, because you get that little bit of gratification of actually seeing someone else's name liking what you wrote/thought/expressed that usually if you scroll down, you can also see that they have replied to your post. From my 'sight' experience from this forum, I've noticed that a lot of the time, if you get a like notification that it usually can also mean someone has liked your post enough to quote it and reply within that quote.

Also, certain people will just 'like' a post and not add anything else. Then some people will like a post because it's a spin off from another thread and will quote and post which then the person from the previous thread will like and some of that subject matter will carry on to the other thread. Another thing is matching up the people who liked your posts with the people who have looked at your profile which in turn makes you look at their profile . Once you've done that, you become curious as to what their overall 'criteria' for liking a post would be. Then you compare the quality of the post to the quality of yours and look for what patterns may match with your own 'criteria' for liking a post. Eventually you come to a post to where the original liker of your post is and after all of that, you realise that you and the original liker has either the same view point/thought or expression in agreement.

I will like a post that I sincerely like. I'm not into this whole, 'I'll like your post if you like mine.' or 'I want you to like more of my posts, so I'll start liking all of your posts.'

But regardless of the actual purpose of the like feature, I will agree it is a powerful tool which helps us to compare ourselves to each other, follow each other and 'feel' other people out. Even though it is one single and simple word, the word 'like' is a lightway into all of our lesser known tunnels of expression, awareness and emotional anonymity.

(It became very late by the time I posted this, so I hope that the lateness of the hour doesn't darken the understandability factor of this post.)

Kind Regards and :tu:

• Like 3

I'm not sure if this is what is normally done, or if it's just me that sees the following as a pattern:

Have you noticed that whenever you get a notification of someone liking your post, and you go to see that post for yourself, because you get that little bit of gratification of actually seeing someone else's name liking what you wrote/thought/expressed that usually if you scroll down, you can also see that they have replied to your post. From my 'sight' experience from this forum, I've noticed that a lot of the time, if you get a like notification that it usually can also mean someone has liked your post enough to quote it and reply within that quote.

Also, certain people will just 'like' a post and not add anything else. Then some people will like a post because it's a spin off from another thread and will quote and post which then the person from the previous thread will like and some of that subject matter will carry on to the other thread. Another thing is matching up the people who liked your posts with the people who have looked at your profile which in turn makes you look at their profile . Once you've done that, you become curious as to what their overall 'criteria' for liking a post would be. Then you compare the quality of the post to the quality of yours and look for what patterns may match with your own 'criteria' for liking a post. Eventually you come to a post to where the original liker of your post is and after all of that, you realise that you and the original liker has either the same view point/thought or expression in agreement.

I will like a post that I sincerely like. I'm not into this whole, 'I'll like your post if you like mine.' or 'I want you to like more of my posts, so I'll start liking all of your posts.'

But regardless of the actual purpose of the like feature, I will agree it is a powerful tool which helps us to compare ourselves to each other, follow each other and 'feel' other people out. Even though it is one single and simple word, the word 'like' is a lightway into all of our lesser known tunnels of expression, awareness and emotional anonymity.

(It became very late by the time I posted this, so I hope that the lateness of the hour doesn't darken the understandability factor of this post.)

Kind Regards and :tu:

I think someone has looked a little to far into the idea of a like button.I dont think it was the late hour i think someone's booze of choice started talking hahaha jk asadora you usually do put some thought into your post's.Guess what that just got you a like :w00t:

• Like 1