Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kenya elephant family slaughtered

Render

Kenya's Wildlife Service says it is pursuing a gang of poachers they suspect of killing an entire family of 11 elephants.

The family was gunned down on Saturday in the single worst incident of ivory poaching recorded in the country.

Kenya has recently taken a more aggressive stance against poaching as it tries to combat a surge in demand for ivory from Asia.

About 100 elephants are killed each year in Kenya by poachers.

Despite a long-standing ban on the international trade, ivory from elephants is often smuggled to Asia for use in ornaments, while rhino horns are used in traditional medicine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20944859

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Render

• SpiritWriter

• pitchp

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a very sad place africa. There are so many poachers (poor people) trying to make a living, and poaching is the most easiest thing to do. The wildlife in africa are soon facing extinction because of poaching. I believe there's not much we can do, when people are going in hunger, they would do anything to get food.

I saw this yesterday on another news site and thought it was horrible. A family of 11 elephants all killed for their ivory......just the thought of this sickens me :(

I've just found this now -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/kenya/9787429/Kenya-suffers-worst-single-loss-of-elephants-as-poachers-kill-12.html

It says 12 elephants killed. 11 adults and one calf, less than a year old :cry:

Edited by Still Waters