Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horror Movies, Do You Like Them?

buckskin scout

Well, do you? I do. And I think most everyone won't deny themselves a good scare in theatres and explore our darker imaginations if anything to cuddle up with their loved ones for an evening delight.

What are your top 10, 15, 20, or 25 horror movies?

1. Alien (1979, Scott)

2. An American Werewolf In London (1981, Landis)

3. The Black Cat (1934, Ulmer)

4. The Body Snatcher (1945, Wise)

5. The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935, Whale)

6. Carnival Of Souls (1962, Harvey)

7. Cat People (1942, Tourneur)

8. The Changeling (1980, Medek)

9. The Curse Of Frankenstein (1957, Fisher)

10. The Curse Of The Werewolf (1961, Fisher)

11. Dawn Of The Dead (1978, Romero)

12. Diabolique (1954, Clouzot)

13. The Fog (1980, Carpenter)

14. The Haunting (1963, Wise)

15. The Horror Of Dracula (1958, Fisher)

16. The Innocents (1961, Clayton)

17. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956, Siegel)

18. Jaws (1975, Spielberg)

19. Mad Love (1935, Freund)

20. Night Of The Demon (1957, Tourneur)

21. Nosferatu (1922, Murnau)

22. The Old Dark House (1932, Whale)

23. Peeping Tom (1960, Powell)

24. A Tale Of Two Sisters (2003, Jee-woon Kim)

25. The Unknown (1927, Browning)

Some of have told me I have boring taste in horror but I'd like to think I prefer my horror with more substance that plays upon my imagination and more psychological bent rather than gore and cheap jumpscares and ultraviolent excess.

EDIT: added 10 more films!

Edited by Ambush Bug
  • Like 1

I love horror movies. There are several that I liked including the ones you mentioned but I would add 'The Thing' to that list. Both the old and remake.

• Like 3

Whoops, I timed out. I was going to give my list a second edit.

I love horror movies. There are several that I liked including the ones you mentioned but I would add 'The Thing' to that list. Both the old and remake.

Those are both great films. When it comes to Carpenter I prefer Halloween and The Fog. The Thing used to be my favorite numero uno horror film of all time but now in hindsight I find alot of fault in the characters and the film's lack of subtlety.

I am going to top off my list and make it 35.

Here are my 10 additions:

Dont Look Now (1973, Roeg)

Frankenstein (1931, Whale)

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969, Fisher)

Freaks (1932, Browning)

Halloween (1978, Carpenter)

House On Haunted Hill (1959, Castle)

The Last Man On Earth (1964, Ragona & Salkow)

Nosferatu (1979, Herzog)

The Red Masque Of Death (1964, Corman)

Witchfinder General (1968, Reeves)

What can I say, I am huge Fisher and Hammer fan.

I'm just going to stick with a provisional top ten...

1 John Carpenter's The Thing.

2 The Thing(2010)

3 Alien

4 Final Destination 3

5 Aliens

6 Alien 3

7 Alien Vs Predator( not requiem)

8 Final Destination 1

9 Final Destinaton 2

10 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I'll explain my reasons in more depth tomorrow..

• Like 1

Some of have told me I have boring taste in horror but I'd like to think I prefer my horror with more substance that plays upon my imagination and more psychological bent rather than gore and cheap jumpscares and ultraviolent excess.

I agree completely.

• Like 1

Back in the day this little boy called me "the cat people" he said because of my eyes lol you just made me think of it with your list.. I don't watch scary movies anymore I used to though... messes with my subconcious. I used to get nightmares and I just dont like that stuff anymore. I like suspence and paranormal though, like for example Dragonfly, In Dreams, Stigmata...stuff like that, but no freddy kreger, hrllraiser, exorcism of emily rose etc... , just not gruesome or demonic...

I am more of an x files or twilight zone type of girl. I dont have a list of my favs... . Back in the day I liked pet semetary

Forgive my typos Samsung Galaxy III

• Like 1

I agree completely.

Thank you! :tu:

Back in the day this little boy called me "the cat people" he said because of my eyes lol you just made me think of it with your list.. I don't watch scary movies anymore I used to though... messes with my subconcious. I used to get nightmares and I just dont like that stuff anymore. I like suspence and paranormal though, like for example Dragonfly, In Dreams, Stigmata...stuff like that, but no freddy kreger, hrllraiser, exorcism of emily rose etc... , just not gruesome or demonic...

I am more of an x files or twilight zone type of girl. I dont have a list of my favs... . Back in the day I liked pet semetary

Forgive my typos Samsung Galaxy III

Yeah, I used to watch some really gruesome horror but have now come to appreciate the atmospheric craft and substance of the classic films.

Speaking of Cat People, that is a genre masterpiece. It has some of the finest suspense in the genre, especially the final 20 minutes. If you have an opportunity to see it, SEE IT! :tsu:

I have expanded my list to 40 horror films as the thread was rather spontaneous and I did not write a list beforehand.

Brides Of Dracula (1960, Fisher)

Burn, Witch, Burn! (1962, Hayers)

City Of The Dead aka Horror Hotel (1960, Moxey)

Eyes Without A Face (1960, Franju)

The Phantom Carriage (1921, Sjöström)

I now know why my list needs to be revised...

On top of all those there's Cabin Fever,the remaining Final Destination films,Braindead,The Faculty,Salems Lot,The Stand,It and the various Romero zombie films.

Oh and Shaun Of The Dead.

As you can imagine I'm a big fan of body horror as opposed to just straight out slasher flicks.

The only reason I mentioned Texas Chainsaw Massacre was because at the time it was revolutionary.

But the slasher formula gets boring over time when you the last know survivor will be the virgin.

However that's not exactly what happens in the Scream series...

I like films that are original and take me out of my comfort zone.

Edited by Medium Brown

I love horror movies, all i usually watch.. In no particular order..

Insidious

Paranormal Activity (1)

1408 (Not a horror but a good thriller) LOVEE MOVIES WITH TWIST ENDINGS

Sixth Sense (Just overall creepy and dark)

The Fourth Kind

Exorcist

The Shining

Hills Have Eyes (Not scary, just soo messed up)

Silent Hill (First time i saw it, was pretty trippy)

The Ring (First time i saw it)

Devils Rejects (So messed up, so good)

Funny Games

The Strangers

Orphanage

Devil (not scary, but i liked it, good twist)

Woman in Black

The Orphan

There are sooooo many I've Seen I just cant remember anything right now lol. its to late

I now know why my list needs to be revised...

On top of all those there's Cabin Fever,the remaining Final Destination films,Braindead,The Faculty,Salems Lot,The Stand,It and the various Romero zombie films.

Oh and Shaun Of The Dead.

As you can imagine I'm a big fan of body horror as opposed to just straight out slasher flicks.

The only reason I mentioned Texas Chainsaw Massacre was because at the time it was revolutionary.

But the slasher formula gets boring over time when you the last know survivor will be the virgin.

However that's not exactly what happens in the Scream series...

I like films that are original and take me out of my comfort zone.

The slasher formula rarely steps outside the bounds and rules established by Halloween.

TCM was quite revolutionary for its time. It is grungy and low budget, shot on grainy film, that gave it a home video feel. I remember the first time I seen the film in my adolescence, it left an impression on me but when I seen it again much latter in adulthood... I felt the movie lost much of intensity and hasn't aged too well. The second half of the film gets silly, the performances and the dialogue are over-the-top jarred me out of mood the first half had set.

Ambush Bug, I'm stunned Psycho didn't make your list! In fact, no Hitchcock made your list!

Stunning!

I think Psycho did what had never been done before, and that's kill off the main character- indeed the sole focus, early on.

I don't remember that happening any other movie.

I think it's a smart movie for a lot of reasons, and it's probably my favorite.

Second, I'd say Rosemary's Baby (1968), directed by Roman Polanski. (My favorite part is when she (Mia Farrow) screams "M a n i a c s!") She was really good in that one.

There's another one where I was impressed with Farrow's acting, See No Evil (1971) which I've seen only once, but I sure haven't forgotten it.

Farrow's character is blind and she's staying at a country estate, and there's a good portion of time where she's wandering through the house doing this and that and all the while, her aunt, uncle and cousin are in various places throughout the house where they were murdered, and she has no idea they've been murdered, and so she's walking back and forth past them!

Ultra creepy!

I don't remember most of the movie, but Experiment in Terror (1971) made a lasting impression with me with a mannequin scene- dozens of mannequins suspended from the ceiling...at night...killer possibly hiding among them. Very creepy. (I don't want to give away the actual kicker of that scene...)

When A Stranger Calls (1979) offered probably the single scariest moment I've ever had watching a scary movie... when there's the realization that the calls are coming from inside the house! Major chills!

Thinking about this, I realize it's been a decade since I've seen anything scary/horror I liked. (The Ring, 2002)

Edited by regi

I was also going to say The Thing/original with Kurt Russell (I actually had nightmares over that, when he touches the blood with a hot paperclip, in my nightmare the thing exploded into saw blades everywhere)....and....omg....HellRaiser...omg....HellRaiser...omg...

Ambush Bug, I'm stunned Psycho didn't make your list! In fact, no Hitchcock made your list!

Stunning!

I think Psycho did what had never been done before, and that's kill off the main character- indeed the sole focus, early on.

I don't remember that happening any other movie.

I think it's a smart movie for a lot of reasons, and it's probably my favorite.

Second, I'd say Rosemary's Baby (1968), directed by Roman Polanski. (My favorite part is when she (Mia Farrow) screams "M a n i a c s!") She was really good in that one.

There's another one where I was impressed with Farrow's acting, See No Evil (1971) which I've seen only once, but I sure haven't forgotten it.

Farrow's character is blind and she's staying at a country estate, and there's a good portion of time where she's wandering through the house doing this and that and all the while, her aunt, uncle and cousin are in various places throughout the house where they were murdered, and she has no idea they've been murdered, and so she's walking back and forth past them!

Ultra creepy!

I don't remember most of the movie, but Experiment in Terror (1971) made a lasting impression with me with a mannequin scene- dozens of mannequins suspended from the ceiling...at night...killer possibly hiding among them. Very creepy. (I don't want to give away the actual kicker of that scene...)

When A Stranger Calls (1979) offered probably the single scariest moment I've ever had watching a scary movie... when there's the realization that the calls are coming from inside the house! Major chills!

Thinking about this, I realize it's been a decade since I've seen anything scary/horror I liked. (The Ring, 2002)

I almost included Psycho in my first list of top 20 or so but discarded and never picked it back up. I prefer Michael Powell's Peeping Tom. Psycho definitely deserves mentions. And Rosemary's Baby too. Both are standout quality made films.

But my love for these two films simply aren't what they used to be. I actually prefer Polanski's The Tenant (which I had forgotten to post in the "suggest bizarre films" thread).

I do not like the slasher genre but here is my top 5 favorite slashers:

1. Halloween (1978)

2. Stagefright (1987)

3. Just Before Dawn (1981)

4. Alone In The Dark (1982)

5. Alice, Sweet Alice (1976)

This serves a dual purpose as here is some awesome Simon Boswell tracks from Stagefright:

Posting up favorite horror movie scores are welcome in this thread too.

[media=]

[/media]

I love that theme song!!

I love horror movies and its not so much about the core but the psychological things it can do with your mind, where after the movies over your still thinking about it.

WHAT! No fans of the Evil Dead Trilogy.

Ash: "Give me some sugar baby." "This, you primitive screwheads, is my Boomstick!", "Shop smart, shop S-Mart."

• Like 2

Ash: "Give me some sugar baby." "This, you primitive screwheads, is my Boomstick!", "Shop smart, shop S-Mart."

So that's where Scott Brown got the inspiration for his gabba tune.

Silent Hill (First time i saw it, was pretty trippy)

Yeah, Pyramid Head was one freaky-looking MF.

I wouldn't wanna meet him in a dark nightmare some night.

[media=]

I think they are excellent films though but they haven't aged well. They're IMO likened to a great kneeslapper of a joke told too many times. The first two movies may or may not make my top 50. IDK.

But I can respect those people that place them in their top 5 or top 10. I once loved them that much back when these movies were relatively new but not so much these days.

In other words, I am big fan but there is alot of horror movies I like more.

They are cheesy, but very good entertainment...

There is supposed to be an new Evil Dead movie coming out, but I don't think Bruce Campbell is in it.

Edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/

Looks like Bruce is a Producer on this one. The woods look the same at least, and the trapdoor + book + cabin.

Edited by DieChecker

They are cheesy, but very good entertainment...

There is supposed to be an new Evil Dead movie coming out, but I don't think Bruce Campbell is in it.

Edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/

Looks like Bruce is a Producer on this one. The woods look the same at least, and the trapdoor + book + cabin.

Bruce Campbell did a wonderful stand-up job through the sheer comic and physical demands of this role.

But no Bruce isn't in the remake. He is too old to be cast in one of the main roles now.

Actually I would have preferred a third sequel with Bruce Campbell rather than a straight out remake personally.

Elljay have you seen the newest silent hill yet?

No I haven't. Is it any good?

I actually havent seen it either sorry