Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Other side of gun ownership

Lilly

As an aside - she should be taught to fire at center mass ;)

Or go with a semi-auto. Or larger caliber. Or hollow points.....

Honestly, with the amount of adrenaline flowing through her, she's lucky to have hit the guy at all.

• Like 2

I've told this before but it bears repeating I think. About 15 years ago in Pensacola Florida a guy (idiot) went into his front yard and fired off his handgun (overhead) to disrupt a fight by three of his neighbors. They turned on him and pursued him into his house, down the hall into his bedroom and were trying to kick in the closet door when he finally started shooting. He killed all 3 and the grand jury refused to file charges! What he did was cowboy to the nth degree but what they did was Darwin award stoopid also...

Some people shouldn't own guns and I think this guy is an example of that but if keeping them out of the hands of a defenseless mother who's trying to protect her children is the price of derailing potential stupidity by others then I say NO WAY!!! As an aside - she should be taught to fire at center mass ;)

best post you've made all week bud

• Like 2

People are going to freak if Obama goes executive order on this issue. The GOV will have created the problem. It would have initiated new violence. Never forget this.

• Like 6

Wow, a justified shooting ! is it the first for the new year? All you pro gunners must be tickled pink , who's winning now. Justified shootings verses unjustified, score anyone?

Wow, a justified shooting ! is it the first for the new year? All you pro gunners must be tickled pink , who's winning now. Justified shootings verses unjustified, score anyone?

Better than reading "Mother and two children murdered in Georgia attic." No, we aren't tickled pink, the guy lived.

• Like 6

Bad news seems to be more memorable for some people then good news.

Glad the family is alright. End of the day, this is the kind of news story I like to hear... well almost. The bad guy is supposed to be killed. Through a couple doors, yeah that guy is a piece of work. Hopefully he doesn't try to pull a lawsuit out of his rear.

Yes it is better than reading triple homicide headlines, but whats the score. Seriously, I wanna know justified against unjustified shootings .I'm an Aussie and don't have to worry about guns in the hands of any tom,dick or harry. I'm anti gun Oz but if I were American I'd be pro gun if justified shootings were winning.

Yes it is better than reading triple homicide headlines, but whats the score. Seriously, I wanna know justified against unjustified shootings

If it wasnt for the mother having gun it could have been 3 more unjustified deaths, whether shootings or not

• Like 3

How about you figure out how many unjustified shootings there have been. Then, figure out how many of those came from legally owned guns. The results will be minuscule. Criminals will always have them and if law abiding gun owners only count for .0009 percent of unjustified shootings them why should the other 99.0001 percent of decent people have their rights taken away?

• Like 6

This shooting in self-defense can't really be compared to a shooting done in a cold blood. It's like if I'm sitting in my car and someone happens to ram themselves into it, or I drive right into them, which one am I gonna go to jail for? It's the intent that matters when it comes to gun use.

and how many of those legal NOTHINGS are used in crimes? They just look scary. The Connecticut shooter didn't even use one.

Good that the mother was able to protect herself and her children. Doesn't mean the debate on law culture shouldn't continue though.

Yes it is better than reading triple homicide headlines, but whats the score. Seriously, I wanna know justified against unjustified shootings .I'm an Aussie and don't have to worry about guns in the hands of any tom,dick or harry. I'm anti gun Oz but if I were American I'd be pro gun if justified shootings were winning.

All the numbers in the world would not matter to that woman trying to protect her children.

What cost would you put on their lives?

There is no winner here, just survivors. This lady and her children will be scarred emotionally for a long time. Better that than what could have happened to them. And from reports, this fella didn't have any gun, just a crowbar. Surely Tom Dick and Harry can get those in OZ. Had this woman been unarmed, she wouldn't have stood a chance.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm all for gun control. Licensing gun owners, requirements on training, banning assault weapons, none of that bothers me. It's those who think no one (not even law abiding people) should be allowed to own guns that concern me. I recall seeing a bumper sticker that said: "Outlaw all guns and only outlaws will have guns", I tend to agree.

• Like 7

All the numbers in the world would not matter to that woman trying to protect her children.

True, but of for every life that's saved because of an easily accessible gun, 3 are lost for that same reason, its an overall loss.

• Like 1

Yeah the whole "take all guns away" crowd is almost as crazy as the "the government is taking away our guns and putting us in camps" crowd. Guns in and of themselves are fine, the problem is how people view and treat them. My grandfather kept several guns in his house but he took special pains to hide them and his kids never knew where they were. A buddy of mine who has plenty of guns grew up learning to have special respect for them and takes great lengths to keep his guns safe and secure. It seems that too many gun owners in the US have a far too casually approach when it comes to guns and this causes problems.

Edited by Corp
  • Like 3

True, but of for every life that's saved because of an easily accessible gun, 3 are lost for that same reason, its an overall loss.

What lives are those lost though? Are you talking about accidents or those killed by thugs that get their guns on the black market? Or by the scum of the earth that are on parole who have no legal right to own a gun? If gangbangers had better aim, while shooting at each other, we wouldn't have to worry about housing them in prisons. Not to mentions the cost to the court system when they are arrested time and again and the hospitals/tax payers loss when they just wound each other. I don't consider them a loss.

All I can say is that trying to ban guns or certain types of gun is impossible. They are already out there. If someone really wants a gun, they'll find a way to get, legally or illegally. Don't really know if there is an answer to the problem, it's really a tough one. The current solutions that are trying to be imposed don't sound practical or realistic. In reality, the problem isn't the guns, it's the people that are using them, society also plays a big part on people's mentality, from parents to kids.

Gangs are the source of most gun crime. This isn't a well thought out idea but I think our military or national guard should be at home irradicating these gangs. I don't see why it would be so hard. We can find Sadam Hussein 10,000 miles away hiding under a rock. Why can't we come home and take care of domestic issues. I know that's what local law enforcement and the FBI are for but the fact is they aren't doing a good enough job. Maybe they aren't doing a bad job but the problem certainly isn't getting any better. Gangmembers are useless wastes of air and space. They certainly have no good qualities and the Mexican gangs are mostly illegals anyways. I heard recently that gang activity go hand in hand with illegal immigrant migration if you were to follow the dots on a map. That was MS13 I was hearing about. I can also assure that nearly all gang members are also collecting gov assistance too. Nothing but a waste and a drain that needs to be dealt with utmost importance.

• Like 2

You still cant have my guns :gun:

If you all are gonna throw your Constitution down the drain you better find some land for all the Red Blooded Americans that give a ****.

Indeed the media and government are fabricating the need for gun control.

• Like 2

And, I don't think this is the 'other side' of gun ownership. This is the reason for ownership.

IF i were a criminal and knew that most households i want to burgle most probably have guns, then i would make sure I was armed too. If i was nervous because of my possible drug problem, hence the need to burgle, then chances are my mental state, would be in no fit state to have a gun in my hand, BUT, I have chosen to burgle someones house and need the money to get my next fix, so I will take my chances.......................But then we have the honest person who knows that out there are people taking their chances on burgling their homes with a gun in their hand..

So we have the merrygoround.....

Personally, I agree with what the woman did, IF I had a gun in my house I would do the same, BUT, I am lucky enough to be living in a place which is not part of the GUN merrygoround........and will do EVERYTHING I can to keep it that way, its a shame it has gone so far in American and I can not see a way out in the forseeable future.

• Like 1