Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Other side of gun ownership

Lilly

Twist the logic all you want. You aren't here for any kind of discussion. You're here to tell people what to do and how to live and defame anyone who disagrees. I expected that from your first post here. You liberals are always the same and always predictable. I know you can't help it though. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

What? Stellar is saying that a 12 year old can't be considered responsible enough to handle guns unsupervised. Where is he defaming or twisting logic?

I'm saying exactly the same thing. Only difference is I'm a gun owner.

Oh...and a liberal.

Nibs

*edit to fix bad spelling and punctuation

Edited by HerNibs
  • Like 1

I went to school with a kid that shot an intruder who came in the back sliding door. He was ten and the cops and everyone else gave him a pat on the back.

Good for him. I maintain my stance. A gun should not be easily accessible to an unsupervised child.

Actually, there are exceptions to the driving age. Again, in Ohio, if you are under 16, but work on a farm, there is a minor certification to take that would allow one to operate a motor vehicle, as long as it was for the farm.

And again, there are restrictions on age as well as where they use the vehicle. When you find a law that says that children can drive a car at any given age as long as their parents say its ok, then come talk to me.

Good for him. I maintain my stance. A gun should not be easily accessible to an unsupervised child.

Depends on the child.

Myself as 10 or 12, I wouldn't have touched a gun unless my life depended on it and would not have spoken about said gun. other kids I knew...well... :whistle: It comes down to each and every individual. And in the end, only their parents (hopefully) know how responsible said kid is. But as shown above, young lives have been saved by having access to firearms. So the situation is clearly not clear-cut. :unsure2:

• Like 1

Twist the logic all you want. You aren't here for any kind of discussion. You're here to tell people what to do and how to live and defame anyone who disagrees. I expected that from your first post here. You liberals are always the same and always predictable. I know you can't help it though. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Youre damn right I'm telling people they're irresponsible if their guns are easily accessible to their unsupervised children. b**** and moan all you want, Im not the only that thinks this nor is it a mental disorder to think so.

Its funny how you jump to claim that my point of view is a mental disorder. Maybe this is why I hear so many americans saying that too many americans are on medication --- because the moment someone has a different opinion, they have a "mental disorder". You claim you want to uphold your rights? Well what of a persons right to individuality? Why is it that the moment someone disagrees with you, they have a "problem", and problems need "fixing" to make them think like you?

It seems that among the wealthy western nations, most people share my point of view. Youre the minority, so please, spare me the "mental disorder" bs. Im glad I don't have to live in a world where I feel the need for everyone, child and adult alike, to have easy access to a gun in order to protect myself from the big bad guys who must be out to kill me.

You know what Nibs? I get a kick out of it when people claim that I want to ban all guns. I own a rifle and a hand gun. I don't keep it loaded and under my pillow, nor do I keep it on my night table. I keep it locked up in a firearms safe inaccessible to everyone but myself. I carry the only key to the safe on myself at all times as well. Ive shown my adult room mates how to use the guns, how to know if they're safe to handle, but I'm damn sure that they cant take my gun whenever Im not around to supervise. These are adults I live with, not 15 year old children either.

• Like 1

And again, there are restrictions on age as well as where they use the vehicle. When you find a law that says that children can drive a car at any given age as long as their parents say its ok, then come talk to me.

lol, , actually age limit and need for driver license only apply to public roads, i have seen plenty of 10-15 years old kids driving pick ups, and tractors on farms, and their property, not only driving for fun, but actually working. and it is perfectly legal, in USA. same thing with guns , in your house, under your supervision you can have 10 years olds handle guns. only if something bad happens than parents are responcible. and believe me they will be charged with child endangerment first thing. aside from other charges.

Edited by aztek

Youre damn right I'm telling people they're irresponsible if their guns are easily accessible to their unsupervised children. b**** and moan all you want, Im not the only that thinks this nor is it a mental disorder to think so.

Its funny how you jump to claim that my point of view is a mental disorder. Maybe this is why I hear so many americans saying that too many americans are on medication --- because the moment someone has a different opinion, they have a "mental disorder". You claim you want to uphold your rights? Well what of a persons right to individuality? Why is it that the moment someone disagrees with you, they have a "problem", and problems need "fixing" to make them think like you?

It seems that among the wealthy western nations, most people share my point of view. Youre the minority, so please, spare me the "mental disorder" bs. Im glad I don't have to live in a world where I feel the need for everyone, child and adult alike, to have easy access to a gun in order to protect myself from the big bad guys who must be out to kill me.

You know what Nibs? I get a kick out of it when people claim that I want to ban all guns. I own a rifle and a hand gun. I don't keep it loaded and under my pillow, nor do I keep it on my night table. I keep it locked up in a firearms safe inaccessible to everyone but myself. I carry the only key to the safe on myself at all times as well. Ive shown my adult room mates how to use the guns, how to know if they're safe to handle, but I'm damn sure that they cant take my gun whenever Im not around to supervise. These are adults I live with, not 15 year old children either.

:) Sorry that my earlier post assumed you didn't have own a gun. I try not to assume.

I agree, all my kids are grown and own their own guns (or not) now and we STILL keep ours in a gun safe.

Nibs

What? Stellar is saying that a 12 year old can't be considered responsible enough to hand guns unsupervised. Where is he defaming or twisting logic.

Oh...and a liberal.

Nibs

Because when i said earlier that it's ok if proper measures are taken to teach a kid gun how to use a gun safely and responsibly he responds to me that I think kids should openly carry gun and to school and that i should probably think that they should drive too. I maintain my stance on liberalism, but I should disclaim extreme far left liberalism. I know you're liberal but I don't think you're extreme. I'm just punching back at him with broad strokes of generality about liberals because of the broad generalization he has about gun owners.

But then that 43 year old guy would have died at 10 and that 12 year old who shot the perp and saved him and his litte sister they would both be dead too. Is that what you'd prefer?

I would probably be considered a liberal, considering I think gay people should have rights, and I think women should be able to do whatever they choose pertaining to their bodies (I'm a man). I would like to see all people have access to healthcare, and I would like to see 0 homeless and/or starving children around the world.

With that said, responsibility doesn't have an age limit. How someone is raised determines their level of self accountability and responsibility. You don't magically become more apt at handling a firearm just because you have lived for 18 or 21 years. Same thing goes for driving a motor vehicle, since it's being used as a comparison.

Here's a little tidbit that most probably aren't aware of; the biggest school massacre in the United States wasn't done with an 'assault rifle' (which, btw, none of these school shootings were performed with an assault rifle, definition here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle) and it was done by a 55 year old man. http://en.wikipedia....chool_disaster.

There's always been crazies, and there will always be crazies. The highest death count by an act of any people on US soil didn't even involve a single gun, we're not going to outlaw boxcutters, are we? To top that off, the Civil War killed over 600,000 people on US soil, and that was our government declaring war against a group that just wanted to secede, and according to some, actually had that right until they lost.

Edited to fix first link.

Edited by green_dude777

Depends on the child.

Myself as 10 or 12, I wouldn't have touched a gun unless my life depended on it and would not have spoken about said gun. other kids I knew...well... :whistle: It comes down to each and every individual. And in the end, only their parents (hopefully) know how responsible said kid is. But as shown above, young lives have been saved by having access to firearms. So the situation is clearly not clear-cut. :unsure2:

Hopefully is not something I like to hear when dealing with firearms.

lol, , actually age limit and need for driver license only apply to public roads, i have seen plenty of 10-15 years old kids driving pick ups, and tractors on farms, and their property, not only driving for fun, but actually working. and it is perfectly legal, in USA. same thing with guns , in your house, under your supervision you can have 10 years olds handle guns.

Under supervision. That's the key word. I have no qualms with a child using a gun under proper supervision.

only if something bad happens than parents are responcible. and believe me they will be charged with child endangerment first thing. aside from other charges.

"only if something bad happens" doesn't bring back the life that may have been lost needlessly.

Because when i said earlier that it's ok if proper measures are taken to teach a kid gun how to use a gun safely and responsibly he responds to me that I think kids should openly carry gun and to school and that i should probably think that they should drive too

Don't put words I my mouth. I've been saying for the past 3 pages that I have no problems with teaching a kid how to use a gun. What I said that if you feel that guns should be easily accessible to "responsible" children in order to protect themselves, then why stop there? Why not allow them to conceal carry guns aswell (in order to protect themselves).

So, my question stands. Why do you or do you not think we should allow kids to conceal carry pistols for protection, given that the parents believe their child is responsible and properly trained?

But then that 43 year old guy would have died at 10 and that 12 year old who shot the perp and saved him and his litte sister they would both be dead too. Is that what you'd prefer?

And then maybe little Johnny, Clarice and Simon would have lived full lives instead of accidentally having shot themselves in the head because the parents thought their children would never play with their loaded guns. Which one would you prefer?

Under supervision. That's the key word. I have no qualms with a child using a gun under proper supervision.

"only if something bad happens" doesn't bring back the life that may have been lost needlessly.

well life is full of surprices aint' it? the life may have been lost needlesly, or it may not, you never know. but you know, as a parent i think about safety of MY kids, and MY family FIRST. don't care much for what if scenario.

Well hey for the most part I agree with your easy access gripe. They shouldn't be and if they are the parents have a major responsibilty to understand what kind of kids they have. The case of that 10 year old who's now 43 and the 12 year old who saved himslef and his sister, those are model examples of good parenting.

Ha look how mad your are. You libs are also easy to rile up. Besides my little comment I don't think you have a problem and you don't need fixing. On the other hand you think everyone else who doesn't agree with you does have a problem that needs fixing. Another liberal trait. You want everyone to comply with you. I could care less if you comply to my views, just quit pushing yours on mine.

You know what made and makes America great? That we said to hell with the rest of the world so far as abiding by your standards and rules. Call us the minority all you want but America was and still is the greatest and the way people have flocked here throughout time is a testament to that. So stop telling us how to live. We didn't appreciate that in 1776 and we don't appreciate that now.

I don't live in this fearful worldview either. I don't even own a gun but I fully respect the right and ability of other people to have one if they want. So it turns out you do own one. What makes you the authority on who should and shouldn't have one? Criminals and psychopaths aside.

Unless a child is being brought up in an environment where guns are a means to hunt for food and the child is taught at a young age to help out, I can not see why any child should be taught how to use a gun "under supervision" or not!

Its great for the parents to pat themselves on the backs for being responsible, but we know full well the responsible adult does not have full control of the child when they reach a certain age.

Thankfully not all children will grow up to kill, but I believe the reason that the US have the highest gun deaths in the world is because many of them where at one stage given access to them at a young age by a trusting parent who thought they were being responsible.

ps: again, although i am anti gun, it is because I can be were I live, we do not need them here, but I fully understand the predicament many have been put in.

• Like 1

Don't put words I my mouth. I've been saying for the past 3 pages that I have no problems with teaching a kid how to use a gun. What I said that if you feel that guns should be easily accessible to "responsible" children in order to protect themselves, then why stop there? Why not allow them to conceal carry guns aswell (in order to protect themselves).

So, my question stands. Why do you or do you not think we should allow kids to conceal carry pistols for protection, given that the parents believe their child is responsible and properly trained?

And then maybe little Johnny, Clarice and Simon would have lived full lives instead of accidentally having shot themselves in the head because the parents thought their children would never play with their loaded guns. Which one would you prefer?

That's absolutely what you said. Why stop there? Becuase it's freaking stupid, that's why. I'm talking about access within the privacy of ones home. Not a wild west free for all hope nothing bad happens with kids packing heat during recess. It is you who is implying I have no sense. You're making up stupid scenarios that nobody is suggesting.

Then there would be 3 dead kids whichever way you spin it. The perps would have killed the other three and J C & S would still be around. Sh!t happens in the world and sometimes it's terrible. No amount of laws, restrictions or gov oversight will ever change that.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

Unless a child is being brought up in an environment where guns are a means to hunt for food and the child is taught at a young age to help out, I can not see why any child should be taught how to use a gun "under supervision" or not!

Its great for the parents to pat themselves on the backs for being responsible, but we know full well the responsible adult does not have full control of the child when they reach a certain age.

Thankfully not all children will grow up to kill, but I believe the reason that the US have the highest gun deaths in the world is because many of them where at one stage given access to them at a young age by a trusting parent who thought they were being responsible.

ps: again, although i am anti gun, it is because I can be were I live, we do not need them here, but I fully understand the predicament many have been put in.

Ok. But I guarantee that unless some one was an adept safe cracker (or had dynamite) and can remove one of these -

lockdown-gunlocks-04.jpg

and THEN unlock the clips and bullets, no one is using one of my weapons without permission.

We own several guns. We hunt and skeet shoot and enjoy spending time together on a gun range.

So because we KNOW children are not responsible enough to be trusted with guns WE as the owners are responsible enough to keep guns away from the kids.

Too many very broad strokes are being used in this discussion.

Nibs

• Like 4

For the records folks, once more I don't own a gun. Second, I have no kids, yet. Third, I have no idea if I did own and had a kid that I would let them use them. There's a 9.9/10 chance I wouldn't. My arguement is to defend other peoples rights to raise their kids and practice their 2cd amendment rights if they so wish. It is not mine or yours or the feds choice to decide that for them.

• Like 2

Here's an example of an adult not knowing what he's doing with just a .38 handgun (not assault rifle) http://www2.tbo.com/news/pinellas-news/2013/jan/10/st-pete-man-18-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-se-ar-603022/

He's 18, he's responsible, correct? He has to be, as I'm learning that responsibility is age related.

For the record, my entire family, and friends that own and shoot guns, would never even point an unloaded gun barrel at someone. We were taught to not even look down the barrel while cleaning the gun, because that's irresponsible. Another side point, since I owned and fired a gun, I've had to be the one to clean it.

Here's an example of an adult not knowing what he's doing with just a .38 handgun (not assault rifle) http://www2.tbo.com/...g-se-ar-603022/

He's 18, he's responsible, correct? He has to be, as I'm learning that responsibility is age related.

For the record, my entire family, and friends that own and shoot guns, would never even point an unloaded gun barrel at someone. We were taught to not even look down the barrel while cleaning the gun, because that's irresponsible. Another side point, since I owned and fired a gun, I've had to be the one to clean it.

Stupid is ageless.

Nibs

Stupid is ageless.

Nibs

I completely agree, stupid is ageless. With that said, initiating some number as an age of responsibility is, well, incorrect.

For the records folks, once more I don't own a gun. Second, I have no kids, yet. Third, I have no idea if I did own and had a kid that I would let them use them. There's a 9.9/10 chance I wouldn't. My arguement is to defend other peoples rights to raise their kids and practice their 2cd amendment rights if they so wish. It is not mine or yours or the feds choice to decide that for them.

understand where you are coming from, but if an adult who kills was given access to guns as a child by a "responsible" parent, then surely it is OUR right to say they should never have had access in the first place.

Everyman has rights, but when there are potential innocent victims at the end of the barrel, then its a case of WHOS rights are more important.....saying that, we could easily go on all night in circles on this one.

Well hey for the most part I agree with your easy access gripe. They shouldn't be and if they are the parents have a major responsibilty to understand what kind of kids they have. The case of that 10 year old who's now 43 and the 12 year old who saved himslef and his sister, those are model examples of good parenting.

Ha look how mad your are. You libs are also easy to rile up. Besides my little comment I don't think you have a problem and you don't need fixing. On the other hand you think everyone else who doesn't agree with you does have a problem that needs fixing. Another liberal trait. You want everyone to comply with you. I could care less if you comply to my views, just quit pushing yours on mine.

You know what made and makes America great? That we said to hell with the rest of the world so far as abiding by your standards and rules. Call us the minority all you want but America was and still is the greatest and the way people have flocked here throughout time is a testament to that. So stop telling us how to live. We didn't appreciate that in 1776 and we don't appreciate that now.

I don't live in this fearful worldview either. I don't even own a gun but I fully respect the right and ability of other people to have one if they want. So it turns out you do own one. What makes you the authority on who should and shouldn't have one? Criminals and psychopaths aside.

I'm notv the one who accuses others of having a mental disorder for not agreeing with me. Perhaps if you'd read my posts instead of throwing names and tantrums around, you'd understand what I want

That's absolutely what you said. Why stop there? Becuase it's freaking stupid, that's why. I'm talking about access within the privacy of ones home. Not a wild west free for all hope nothing bad happens with kids packing heat during recess. It is you who is implying I have no sense. You're making up stupid scenarios that nobody is suggesting.

Then there would be 3 dead kids whichever way you spin it. The perps would have killed the other three and J C & S would still be around. Sh!t happens in the world and sometimes it's terrible. No amount of laws, restrictions or gov oversight will ever change that.

So its stupid to allow a kid to walk round with a gun on his hip, but its not stupid to allow that same kid to be able to grab that gun at home when theres no one around to supervise?

Here's an example of an adult not knowing what he's doing with just a .38 handgun (not assault rifle) http://www2.tbo.com/...g-se-ar-603022/

Completely wrong. No one is saying responsibility is age related either. Some of us are saying that there needs to be a method in place that'll ensure that maniacs and people who don't know how to safely handle and store a weapon do not obtain one.

• Like 2

Mr_Fess and Stellar, is this like a shoot out? I am sitting back and watching quietly:

image009.gif

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1