Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disappeared

Citrix

I watch that show sometimes too. If a case interests you then please post the details or some links to background. Other members may be interested if they know what you specifically wish to explore - and welcome to UM. :st

Edited by libstaK

Hello :st

There are few cases featured on Disappeared that interest me, I'll start with this one!

The McStay Family;

A family of four (husband, wife and two young sons) had just moved into a new home, there was no indication at all that anything was wrong. It was sometime later that their families realized something wasn't quite right. The McStay's had just vanished, there was half eaten food left in the kitchen, no clothes were missing and their family car had been discovered abandoned near the border of Mexico.At the time of their disappearance they had close to one hundred thousand dollars in their account, it has not been touched. CCTV of the border showed a man, a woman and two young boys crossing on foot, in the middle of the night into Mexico. Joseph McStay's family believe the man in the footage is not him but that the woman is his wife (Summer) and their two sons.

CCTV footage;

Disappeared; Mystery at the Border http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66jh9bxJwI

Apparently Summer had changed her name a few times prior to her marrying Joseph, she'd also lied about her age by quite a lot (not illegal I know lol) and after her computer had been analyzed, it was discovered she had been searching for information about child passports to go to Mexico, in the run up to their disappearance.

Hi there! I had lot of job last week so I didn't response.

Yeah I also watched that episode. Very strange case. I don't know what to think. Maybe people on picture aren't they ( :geek: ) and whole investigation went in wrong way. Also if that are McStays they maybe had huge private problem with criminal, mafia etc. but just they knew for that, and criminals were very successful to hide own identity from authorities, and McStays choose to hide in Mexico. And third theory that they were following by someone behind them, something like abduction. All three theories are about their crossing in Mexico, but if not, if abductors parked their car on that place to leaded investigation on wrong way that could be something very wrong happened to them. But again, new question in magical circle why noone didn't try money?

This is something like very,very big paradox where only good thinking, watching on every for simple man invisible evidence, can lead investigator in right way, and solve this case.

P.S. This is site which dedicated to McStay's family, opened by their cousin, so if you have any information about them, please report. This is a link http://www.mcstayfamily.org/contact-us

Edited by Citrix

Sounds like the husband was killed and she took off with someone else with the kids or the someone she was hiding from found her. You don't change your name for nothing, she had a past.

• Like 3

I'm wondering what the phone records showed as far as cell tower signals beyond 8:17 PM, Feb. 4th.

The last known communication occurred between Joseph and his business partner at 8:47 PM, and the neighbors security camera seemed to have recorded the family vehicle leaving the home @ 7:47 PM and never returning.

Well, that's an hour previous, so where was Joseph when this call took place?

Authorities didn't seem sure that that was the family vehicle in the video, and so I wonder about the vantage point of the camera, and whether it actually was their vehicle in the video and whether that 7:47 time is a false lead.

I don't accept that the toy lead dead-ended. I'd have to know more about why that is because I don't accept that it wasn't possible to determine from which store and when those items were purchased.

(Also, I'm curious as to why those items were covered with a sheet.)

I don't know what else to comment on at this point, except that I see no reason to believe that the family intended to disappear.

Edited by regi

Sorry...the phone call was @ 8:28 PM. (Where I got 8:17 & then 8:47 is beyond me!)

Also, I regret not reading the family web site before posting.

There's info at the following link re: what the cell phone records show.

http://www.ir3.org/new-cell-tower-info-shows-the-missing-mcstay-family-was-in-bonsall/

http://www.bridgehunter.com/ca/san-diego/

Bosnall Bridge

• 3 weeks later...

On the most cases, on first watching you can have opinion- Yes, he/she is dead, that was foul play, or he/she is alive. But for some, as for Mc Stay family you can't. One of them is case of Charlie Allen Jr. His disappearance is big conspiracy theory. Really don't know what to think. If his mental illines burgeoned, I think, that police and family should find him quickly, dead or alive, but this is very strange and suspicious...

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably one of my all time favorite shows. I find it soooooooo fascinating how an entire human being, sometimes two or three, or four (McStay family) can go missing and just NOT be found. That baffles me. I do love a good mystery!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

This is probably one of my all time favorite shows. I find it soooooooo fascinating how an entire human being, sometimes two or three, or four (McStay family) can go missing and just NOT be found. That baffles me. I do love a good mystery!!!!!

think about it tho, say you go on holiday , a new country a new start, use forged passports and just go, "vanish" , no ones knows you, no friends nothing......

• 7 months later...

Hello :st

There are few cases featured on Disappeared that interest me, I'll start with this one!

The McStay Family;

A family of four (husband, wife and two young sons) had just moved into a new home, there was no indication at all that anything was wrong. It was sometime later that their families realized something wasn't quite right. The McStay's had just vanished, there was half eaten food left in the kitchen, no clothes were missing and their family car had been discovered abandoned near the border of Mexico.At the time of their disappearance they had close to one hundred thousand dollars in their account, it has not been touched. CCTV of the border showed a man, a woman and two young boys crossing on foot, in the middle of the night into Mexico. Joseph McStay's family believe the man in the footage is not him but that the woman is his wife (Summer) and their two sons.

CCTV footage;

Disappeared; Mystery at the Border [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66jh9bxJwI

Apparently Summer had changed her name a few times prior to her marrying Joseph, she'd also lied about her age by quite a lot (not illegal I know lol) and after her computer had been analyzed, it was discovered she had been searching for information about child passports to go to Mexico, in the run up to their disappearance.

We've got your answer, it looks like:

Reports: Bodies in California desert linked to missing family

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/15/us/california-bodies-found/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Wow. It's fortunate that their bodies have been found.

I've always felt that authorities became too damned complacent because of the circumstances of the vehicle found near the border and then that video at the border crossing.

Personally, I've felt like the father's brother did about that Bonsal Bridge area because of the last cell ping and it's an isolated and remote location.

So, the family vehicle was captured on a neighbor's security camera as leaving their driveway at 7:47 pm. The brother said that authorities told him that there was a call to business associate, Chase Merrittt, at 8:28 pm and the call pinged off a Fallbrook tower.

Info had been that the phone last pinged off of a tower near the Bosnal Bridge, but that's only about 9 miles south of the family's home and that would have been 41 minutes after the vehicle was seen leaving the home.

I don't know to what extent authorities analyzed cell records because it's not known why the family would have left their home and/or where they might have gone and it seems that those records might give indications of either.

It's interesting that there's two crime scenes; the vehicle location which is to the south of the family's home and then the discovery site which is almost 100 miles (essentially) north.

Obviously, the vehicle location was staged, but both locations offer info. to investigators re: a geographic profile of the the perp and his location, and they also offer investigators something to go on as far as any possible POI's having been in those locations at relative periods of time.

I don't know how long cell records are available, but I know they can be difficult to obtain.

http://usnews.nbcnew...ego-area-family

http://www.mcstayfamily.org/

Edited by regi