Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Funniest Sounding Word

Hasina

Haha the natives seem to have a sense of humour. There's an old mining town in the Outback where homes are built underground to escape the heat, Tunneled out of the sandstone. The name of the town is Coober Pedy which means 'White mans hole'. lol

Coober Pedy:

coober-pedy-pictures-3.jpg

the-underground-motel.jpg

Coober Pedy looks really good! I wouldn't mind a set up like that....

And, yeah, most "Native Americans" I've met do have a sense of humor - they've needed it... (most I've met dislike the NA title as well - just not enough to protest it)...

Twizzle

• Like 1

Aardvark

Balderdash - Nonsense, illogical or senseless talk

• Like 2

Zugzwang

Ditzy

Lamprophony - (Loudness and clarity of voice)

"-Ooh, aren't you a lamprophony one"

"-Say what?? Calling me a phony lamp??"

• Like 1

Frolic.

Not a word you hear these days, is it? Anyone here describe themselves as 'frolicsome'? No? I thought not :unsure2:

• Like 2

I often use the word me sen, Ouija. As it makes me giggle to myself….All that frolicking :D

Cavorting, is another.

• Like 2

Frolic.

Not a word you hear these days, is it? Anyone here describe themselves as 'frolicsome'? No? I thought not :unsure2:

Frolic is a brand of dogfood, so I see the word pretty often. A puppy could be pretty frolicsome, but as you say, its probably not used every day. The same for the word gay in its truest sense. When someone say to another person; "You are sooo gay" they probably don't mean you are a happy fellow, if you catch my drift. ;)

• Like 1

Quaf...to drink a beverage, especially an intoxicating one, copiously and with hearty enjoyment

Flatulence

b0llocks...I don't know why, but everytime I see or hear that word...it makes me laugh...not even sure exactly what it means, but I have an idea...you Brits out there, isn't it the equivalent to our "bullsh!t"?

Edited by Jeremiah65

Take a seat everyone, a lesson on the diverse use of the word b0llocks will now commence. ;)

Many people unfamiliar with the word b0llocks might have seen it though on the title of the 1977 punk rock album Never Mind the b******s, Here's the Sex Pistols. When read literally b0llocks would mean testicle, and the "sex pistole", well...I don't think that word needs an introduction.

But it can also be read as "Never mind all the other bullsh1t out there, here is the Sex Pistols" (as in their name of the group)

Anyway, the history of the word "b0llocks".

It is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, as mentioned, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English , as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless".

Similarly, the common phrases "b******s to this/that" or "That's a load of old b******s" generally indicate contempt for a certain task, subject or opinion.

Conversely, the word also figures in idiomatic phrases such as "the dog's b******s", "top bollock(s)", or more simply "the b******s" (as opposed to just "b******s"), which will refer to something which is admired, approved of or well-respected.

From the seventeenth to the nineteenth century, b******s or ballocks was allegedly used as a slang term for a clergyman, although this meaning is not mentioned by the OED's 1989 edition. For example, in 1864, the Commanding Officer of the Straits Fleet regularly referred to his chaplain as "Ballocks". It has been suggested that b******s came to have its modern meaning of "nonsense" because clergymen were notorious for talking nonsense during their sermons

"Talking b******s" and "Bollockspeak"

"Talking b******s" generally means talking nonsense or bull****, for example: "Don't listen to him, he's talking b******s", or "...talking absolute b******s". Another example is "I told Maurice that he was talking b******s, that he was full of **** and that his opinions were a pile of p***. (Rhetoric was always my indulgence.)" "Talking b******s" in a corporate context is referred to as bollockspeak.

Bollockspeak tends to be buzzword-laden and largely content-free, like gobbledygook: "Rupert, we'll have to leverage our synergies to facilitate a paradigm shift by Q4" is an example of management bollockspeak. There is a whole parodic book entitled The Little Book of Management b******s. When a great deal of b******s is being spoken, it may be said that the 'b******s quotient' is high.

See the Random b******s Generator were some b******s are automatically generated for you to use.

A "b******s" (singular noun)

Comparable to c***-up, screw-up, balls-up, etc. Used with the indefinite article, it means a disaster, a mess or a failure. It is often used pejoratively, as in to have "made a b******s out of it", and it is generally used throughout Britain and Ireland.

b******s (transitive verb)

To b******s something up means "to mess something up". It refers to a botched job: "Well, you bollocksed it up that time, Your Majesty!" or "Bollocksed up at work again, I fear. Millions down the drain".

To "drop a bollock"

To "drop a bollock" describes the malfunction of an operation, or messing something up, as in many sports, and in more polite business parlance, dropping the ball brings play to an unscheduled halt.

"A kick in the b******s"

"A kick in the b******s" is used to describe a significant set-back or disappointment, e.g. "I was diagnosed with having skin cancer. Ye Gods! What a kick in the b******s".]

"Bollock cold", "freeze (or work) one's b******s off"

However, bollock cold[ means very cold indeed. "It's bollock cold outside". To "work ones b******s off" is to work very hard. This phrase is sometimes used by or about women: Boy George referred to his mother "working her b******s off" at home.

"Bollock naked"

"Bollock naked" is used in the singular form to describe being in the nude: "he was completely p***ed and stark bollock naked".

b******s (singular noun)

In Ireland, "b******s", "ballocks" or "bollox" can be used as a singular noun to mean a despicable or notorious person, for instance: "Who's the old ballocks you were talking to?", or conversely as a very informal term of endearment: "Ah Ted, ye big b******s, let's go and have a pint!". In Dublin it can be spelled "Bollix".

"Bollocksed"

Multiple meanings, also spelled "bolloxed" or "bollixed":

Exhausted: "I couldn't sleep at all last night, I'm completely bollocksed!"

Broken: "My foot pump is bollocksed."

An extreme state of inebriation or drug-induced stupor: "Last night I got completely bollocksed".

Hungover (or equivalent): "I drank two bottles of gin last night, I'm completely bollocksed".

Made a mistake: "I tried to draw that landscape, but I bollocksed it up".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Positive uses

"Dog's b******s"

A usage with a positive (albeit still vulgar) sense is "the dog's b******s" An example of this usage is: "Before Tony Blair's speech, a chap near me growled: ‘He thinks he's the dog's b******s’. Well, he's entitled to. It was a commanding speech: a real dog's b******s of an oration".

"Top bollock(s)"

"Top bollock" is used as a superlative, for example: "This beer is top bollock".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooo, now you can intellectually handle any situation, and argument, containing the word b0llocks.

Now, bollox to this.

Edited by EllJay
  • Like 2

Thanks for the education! Now we Yanks have a clue!

haveabeer_zpse671de9d.gif

• Like 1

Take a seat everyone, a lesson on the diverse use of the word b0llocks will now commence. ;)

aka Jackson Pollocks! (rhyming slang)

Thanks for the education! Now we Yanks have a clue!

haveabeer_zpse671de9d.gif

You're welcome.

There is also an equally important lesson for all Europeans to learn on/of the etymology/lineage of the American - jack sh1t.

So that when someone say; "-You don't know jack sh1t", you can correct them. ;)

Educate yourselves here.>>>

[media=]

[/media]

Flibbertigibbet : a silly flighty person