Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The most important time of life

markdohle

Getting older is not easy for one by one, aspects of our physical selves are lost that when young, were taken for granted. As we age we are all called upon to find inner reserves that allow us to deal with this slow decline with grace, if not with ease. It is a daily choice to embrace this process that happens in later life.

Culture passes us by (as it should), it changes and we do the best we can to adapt and even enjoy some of the newness of it all. Today however change comes fast. Developments from one decade to the next can be startling if one takes the time to look back the way things were. Now when I watch a movie it can be dated by the use of cell phones, or not. I have found many of the new technologies exciting, but also find that instead of making life easier, they speeds things up, adding to the work load of many and not allowing too much time to simply be by oneself. In my line of work I have to have my cell phone on all of the time in case of an emergency. At night I can shut off my default ringer, but have certain numbers that can reach me at anytime. Or if I want to turn my phone off, I have to alert those who may try to call me. So the connection, even if below conscious thought, is always there. I think this is good, this access, we have just not learned how to use it to actually make life simpler, instead of more burdensome.

Perhaps one of the reasons so many people today are looking for “spirituality” is the need to be able to deal with the times that they have for some solitude. The inner life, the ability to live there, learn from ones inner landscape takes time and effort. It is not easy, perhaps that is one reason that we try to fill our days with one thing after another. I have days when I don’t want to slow down. Don’t always have a clear cut reason, I just don’t want to settle down and be with myself. When I force myself to sit, pray, read, and write, or ponder, I do get a sense of coming home. When I don’t slow down, the experience of life being absurd, empty and shallow only gets deeper and more draining, it seems that my enjoying life is dependent on my inner life, my connection with the infinite. The energy comes from within.

A friend of mine told me that I was obsessed with time. I thought about that and responded: “Time has always been a blur for me and I have even when young had a sense of how short life is. I can’t shake it and I know that I am not alone in this; in fact I think that is one of the most common experiences of all. How we deal with that is another question.”

I no longer think of my future in decades, well I do in perhaps two decades; my dad died at 83. It does at times fill me with fear, at others times with peace, this sense that the end of the road is becoming easier to see. Both experiences are fleeting. Then there are times when I don’t think about it, though that is become rarer. Mortality is not an easy concept to grasp, since our death is experienced. To think about it, as Freud said, is to be an observer. When we die, we don’t observe, we experience. It is popular today for people to say that they don’t fear death; I think that is not true, the survival instinct is the strongest one we have. Life is difficult, very hard for most of us, most likely for all, so in order for us to make it through life we need that instinct to keep us here.

There is a great deal of pleasure in life and when getting older those pleasures change and can become deeply fulfilling. I don’t need much entertainment anymore. I sense a movement of the Infinite drawing me faster and faster to an eternal moment of union and my ability to love others seems to be deepening. I find this wonderful, and perhaps this state of life, difficult as it is, is in actuality the most important one that we have.

Religion and spirituality, for me, go together. No tradition is without it scandals, failures and evils. Yet each one, those that have been around for a long time also has deep wisdom and an avenue to experiences grace at a deep level. It is up to each to study and seek the truth, to not do so I believe is a tragedy. For we do have a Spirit, and it needs to mature in understanding of its mission in life and why it is here in the first place, though there will always be mystery, an unending search. The search is part of the journey, or perhaps the journey itself this searching for meaning and answers. Many think that the spiritual and religious life is an escape from reality; I believe the opposite is true. The constant racing around, the fear of being quiet, the denial of the reality that we do have souls, is for me the escape from reality and perhaps, maybe, missing the central reason for our lives.

• Like 1

Well said mark.

The most important time of life is right now, for tomorrow is a probability and yesterday is but a memory.

" There are no ordinary moments." ( Dan Milman---"The Way of the peaceful warrior")

Wow I just quoted him twice in a row. Time to go back and read it again.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

Well said mark.

The most important time of life is right now, for tomorrow is a probability and yesterday is but a memory.

" There are no ordinary moments." ( Dan Milman---"The Way of the peaceful warrior")

Wow I just quoted him twice in a row. Time to go back and read it again.

Nice quotes, thank you :nw:

Peace

Mark

Hi Mark,

You're probably not obsessing, but then again, I don't know you well enough to tell. Time is very important in our society, and our body is a finite reality. Therefore, how could one not think about time?? Besides, the word obsession gets thrown around so easily that it defeats its meaning. Perhaps it's a generation gap? I hear this word among seniors. I hardly use the word because it reminds me of "that" song by Animotion. Also, being a Human Services major, I take the word seriously, and it's the reason why I don't use it. Is your friend a psychiatrist?

Important. In order for something to be important, one has to have a goal or use for it; otherwise, the moment is simply a blah event. That's okay. A blah moment is also important; it triggers something in us to go deeper. On the other hand, calming one's mind is definitely a goal and certainly a conscious act. For example, as a Christian, the most important goal in my life is to be with Christ in Paradise; therefore, when I'm truly being in the "now" on earth, I'm also thinking about Jesus Christ. To be truly in the now, one has to be totally obsessed, consumed, absorbed by that moment to moment reality, by one's goal. Our body is a ticking clock. Is being in the now sustainable while one is on earth? That, I cannot answer, for my mind is easily distracted (but that's a relative assessment); however, I have learned ways to calm my thoughts. Looking at a picture of Jesus is one. I used to know how to do the rosary...

[we have just not learned how to use it to actually make life simpler] Or, have patience to read another manual! Speaking of "Updates," I still have 3 to do, and tons to read. LOL

["...we are all called upon to find inner reserves that allow us to deal with... It is a daily choice to embrace this process...] That's very telling, Mark. It's also true after a death of loved one or divorce or major break up. Losing one's home and cherished (the ultimate meaning of the word) belongings, especially of great value, have the same need.

Peace.

Paul

Edited by braveone2u

The most important time of life is right now, this very moment. The present moment determines our future. In this sense, the present moment is our future.

• Like 2

The most important time of life is right now, this very moment. The present moment determines our future. In this sense, the present moment is our future.

Hi StarMountainKid,

I hear you, and I used to believe that...but that's past tense. You have to see where I'm coming. Besides, I've experienced better and infinitely more interesting moments than this very moment I'm in. Would the word moment make sense in a timeless reality, especially moment has that movement connotation attached to it because it's ephemeral?

Peace.

Paul

I hear you, and I used to believe that...but that's past tense. You have to see where I'm coming. Besides, I've experienced better and infinitely more interesting moments than this very moment I'm in. Would the word moment make sense in a timeless reality, especially moment has that movement connotation attached to it because it's ephemeral?

Hi

I, too, have experienced better moments than this very moment I'm in right now :), but we construct our lives moment by moment. This very moment is all we really have, and if we do this moment right, and the next moment, we make our future more secure. After all, our future will be lived in this present moment, too.

If we consider this present a throw-away because nothing special is currently happening, what does this say about our relationship to our own life? Cherish this moment, I say, even when we consider nothing special is happening. In this way every moment is special. Isn't it better to be present and aware within every moment of our lives?

This is all I'm trying to say.

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

You're probably not obsessing, but then again, I don't know you well enough to tell. Time is very important in our society, and our body is a finite reality. Therefore, how could one not think about time?? Besides, the word obsession gets thrown around so easily that it defeats its meaning. Perhaps it's a generation gap? I hear this word among seniors. I hardly use the word because it reminds me of "that" song by Animotion. Also, being a Human Services major, I take the word seriously, and it's the reason why I don't use it. Is your friend a psychiatrist?

No, my friend was stating an observation, that I did not agree with in any case. I am older, and when looking back over the years, times does seem to be dream like at times. When you get older you will most likly say the same thing. It is a common experience I am sure for just about everyone.

To be truly in the now, one has to be totally obsessed, consumed, absorbed by that moment to moment reality, by one's goal. Our body is a ticking clock. Is being in the now sustainable while one is on earth? That, I cannot answer, for my mind is easily distracted (but that's a relative assessment); however, I have learned ways to calm my thoughts. Looking at a picture of Jesus is one. I used to know how to do the rosary...

I think we can be truly present at times, but to do so all the time, probably impossible. Though there may be some masters who can do it. The Rosary: It is a good prayer form, one that I use. I make my own prayer ropes to use. One I wear around my wrist, I also use a 33 knotted prayer rope as well. The use of the rosary can calm the body down, the slow passing of the knots (or beads)through the fingers can be calming. The mediation on the words, or mystery can truly bring one to the present moment. When I am scattered it is a good way to center me. I like to pray this way when walking, or driving the car.

I like your comments my friend, well said as always.

peace

mark

Edited by markdohle

Hi

I, too, have experienced better moments than this very moment I'm in right now :), but we construct our lives moment by moment. This very moment is all we really have, and if we do this moment right, and the next moment, we make our future more secure. After all, our future will be lived in this present moment, too.

If we consider this present a throw-away because nothing special is currently happening, what does this say about our relationship to our own life? Cherish this moment, I say, even when we consider nothing special is happening. In this way every moment is special. Isn't it better to be present and aware within every moment of our lives?

This is all I'm trying to say.

I hear you, StarMountainKid, but it's okay to disagree, and I respect your belief system, for at one time, I believed the idealness of living in the "now."

["if we do this moment right"]

How would you have known the "right" thing to do if you had not experienced perfection?

["After all, our future will be lived in this present moment, too."] That's an assumption, but earthly reality is something else. Do we really "construct," or do we just "react" to the ever-unfolding stories of our lives? Those are directly opposing concepts. It's like nature versus nurture. Think about it.

["...will be lived in this in the present moment, too"] Present. Now. This very moment. What does it really mean? The older I get the more I'm beginning to accept that the mind is not capable of truly experiencing the now, the present in its ABSOLUTE form. The strange thing is that when I do talk to people about their present, there's always a delayed reaction. Like a mental whiplash. When you talk to people about something deep, you might as well forget about an in-yer-face, totally in-the-now answer. I've never met a single person who is really living in the now, the true meaning of it.

["...what does this say about our relationship to our own life?"] Absolutely nothing. People don't usually think about their lives in a moment-to-moment basis, unless one is obsessive, the true meaning of the word. What kind of life is that?? As I have said before, we're really not capable of living in the now on earth, more often than not, unless one acts like a machine or a madman. Those 2 are not my ideal situations. Definitely, you're not living in the now, especially when you base your life on past and future events...and the moment you even think about it, the freshness of that minute moment is already in the past. Earthly now is so fleeting! Besides, to even get a brilliant, "original" answer is not up to us in the end...and you have to have (past and present) situations with which to compare it. The things that come to us are beyond our control. The ever-unfolding stories of our lives come from far beyond.

I'm MUCH older than the way I look in my pictures and in real life; therefore, I can really relate to Mark on this: "...when looking back over the years, times does seem to be dream like at times." Speaking of mental whiplash...and remixes -- past, present, past, present/past, etc.

The "now" is not what it appears to be. I certainly do not want to live my life like a robot, or a slaved madman. Obsession??

["This very moment is all we really have"]

In a way, the past is more important than our now on earth because our scars are the ones that propel us to hope for a perfect world beyond. To know perfection, one has to have a past with which to compare it. Nothing is wasted, in the end, for Jesus Christ is Lord. Paradise is waiting. Heaven.

I wish you well in your journey, StarMountainKid. Please keep in mind that I'm just sharing with you my beliefs. No judgment here.

Peace.

Paul

Edited by braveone2u

I think we can be truly present at times, but to do so all the time, probably impossible. Though there may be some masters who can do it.

Obsession? Always being in the now?? Hi Mark. It's probably the reason why they accused Jesus as being possessed by Beelzebub in Mark 3:22. Also, many great saints and mystics were branded as either crazy, blind, or possessed by a demon because their minds were so focused on God, perhaps as their goal. "...out of his mind...(for God)."

"All your followers are blind, too much heaven on their minds. It was beautiful, but now it's sour. Yes, it's all gone sour!" JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

Peace.

Paul

Obsession? Always being in the now?? Hi Mark. It's probably the reason why they accused Jesus as being possessed by Beelzebub in Mark 3:22. Also, many great saints and mystics were branded as either crazy, blind, or possessed by a demon because their minds were so focused on God, perhaps as their goal. "...out of his mind...(for God)."

"All your followers are blind, too much heaven on their minds. It was beautiful, but now it's sour. Yes, it's all gone sour!" JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

Peace.

Paul

True. Often, it is not understood, that it is our cultures that make us crazy. The fact that so many of us go along with it that it becomes normal. To deny the inner life, the soul, and that our life has deep meaning is for me being crazy and living in a very small closet without windows. Like Plato's cave, shadows mistaken for reality, though the shadows do have a reality of sorts, yet they are shadows.

peace

mark

• Like 1

With all the experiences and moments in every individuals life remember the most important one is not that easy, I think it'll be better to refer to the time one person realizes the worth of his life.

• Like 1

I think it'll be better to refer to the time one person realizes the worth of his life.

Hi harrygrant,

That's an excellent thought. I believe I realized my true worth recently, probably less than a week ago, when I accepted Jesus Christ as my God. Accepting Him is not the same as being baptized as Christian (when I was a baby) because this time, it's a conscious act. It took a long intense journey to realize it.

Peace.

Paul

Edited by braveone2u
  • Like 1

‘If you are depressed are you living in the past , If you are anxious you are living in the future, If you are living in peace you are living in the present’ Loa Tzu

Living in the now is about, not being lost in thoughts/worries/desires and really experiencing life, not being trapped in one’s mind and losing the wonder of the gift. To savour the preciousness of every moment frees us so we can feel gratitude and Peace, so sadly lacking in this modern world. take care.

‘What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us’ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by sutemi
  • Like 1

Hi harrygrant,

That's an excellent thought. I believe I realized my true worth recently, probably less than a week ago, when I accepted Jesus Christ as my God. Accepting Him is not the same as being baptized as Christian (when I was a baby) because this time, it's a conscious act. It took a long intense journey to realize it.

Peace.

Paul

Hey that's good for I'm so happy to hear that. Though I have it in my thoughts, I still haven't find my worth I mean I still can't find the things that can bring a different kind of happiness and feeling to me.

Hi,

What really started my conscious journey back to Jesus Christ was my Void (afterlife) experience. I actually died 3 times in this lifetime alone, but the last one took the cake. Matthew 25:30 came to me several days ago during my online research:

"And cast you the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Also, I don't EVER want to come back to this planet again, as in reincarnation. This lifetime has presented me quite a number disheartening and daunting moments, politely speaking. Have you read the story of Jonah? My life is not exactly like that, but it's absolutely in-yer-face -- again, politely speaking. I believe it was grace alone that helped me put 2 and 2 together...and the fact that I received a MAJOR "sign." The power of the Christmas season (reconciliation) has showed itself in a BIG way because for one thing, I definitely believe in "signs."

"The Sign" LINK: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240610

Thing is: Why reinvent the wheel? Jesus Christ equals paradise/heaven, eternal (Matthew 28:18 and John 14:6). True, I had to find out...because it's the only way for me to consciously accept Him as my Lord and Savior -- completely, absolutely, without reservation. There's something revealing about suffering, so people say. I'm tired of fighting the inevitable perfection of paradise, but all along, Christ was there watching over me, my pilgrim's progress. The Holy Spirit is in this world, at any rate. I had to go through my "hell" for me to realize what's really important in my heart and soul, not just my mind. If you wish to read more, please follow the link to check out my past posts (to avoid repeating myself):

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240211&pid=4616464&st=0entry4616464

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240409&pid=4627990&st=30entry4627990

Peace to you, harrygrant.

Paul