Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns for Obama for Life

tapirmusic

Obama didn't sign this. Every president and first lady have secret service body guards for life and probably have since the 1950's or 60's.

From the article -

The Secret Service started protecting presidents in 1901 after the assassination of William McKinley. In 1965, Congress passed a law authorizing the agency, which is now a part of the Department of Homeland Security, to protect former presidents for life.

• Like 3

He did sign it.

"President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.

The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

At the time, lawmakers who supported the measure said it would save the government millions of dollars. They also argued that former presidents could hire private security firms (as Richard Nixon did after he decided to forgo Secret Service protection in 1985).

The bill had sailed through Congress with bipartisan support—it cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote in early December, and then it zipped through the Senate unopposed. The law also provides protection for former presidents’ kids until age 16. But “protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage.”

• Like 1

If we just got rid of guns the president wouldn't need protecting. Amirite guys?

Ironic, considering we have guns to protect ourselves from the president.

• Like 2

All living former Presidents and their spouses should have Secret Service protection for life, unless they chose not to (I believe Carter did this).

Money well spent in my opinion. Could you imagine if a former President were kidnapped and tortured/murdered?

• Like 3

If we just got rid of guns the president wouldn't need protecting. Amirite guys?

Since more people are killed with hammers or baseball bats than guns....no.
  • Like 1

He did sign it.

"President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.

The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

At the time, lawmakers who supported the measure said it would save the government millions of dollars. They also argued that former presidents could hire private security firms (as Richard Nixon did after he decided to forgo Secret Service protection in 1985).

The bill had sailed through Congress with bipartisan support—it cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote in early December, and then it zipped through the Senate unopposed. The law also provides protection for former presidents’ kids until age 16. But “protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage.”

I stand corrected. I don't have a problem with it though.
  • Like 1

All living former Presidents and their spouses should have Secret Service protection for life, unless they chose not to (I believe Carter did this).

Money well spent in my opinion. Could you imagine if a former President were kidnapped and tortured/murdered?

It's not like they're president now.

They are just regular people, you know. Most people overlook this.

Let them defend themselves the way millions have since America's inception.

Then maybe they'd have an ounce of respect for gun owners.

They're so detached from reality because they have people protecting them.

They live in a pseudo-reality where all their needs are taken care of.

• Like 1

These people live like royalty even after they leave office.

Not only should they have enough money to provide security for themselves and family if they so choose, but somehow we still refer to them as "President" after they have finished "serving" their country.

For the people by the people, right?

And the nerve this guy has signing this out of one side of his mouth, while sicking creepy uncle joe on the NRA...

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! errrr wait, no sad..... I mean, I'm mad about it, but then again it is kind of funny...HA HA HA ha ha......ouch.

All he did was make sure that a bad idea wasn't put in to practice. Who in their right mind tried to implement a 10 year limit in the first place. You notice how laws that are negative towards to the government always seem to come after the guys who wrote it leave office?

It's not like they're president now.

They are just regular people, you know. Most people overlook this.

Let them defend themselves the way millions have since America's inception.

Then maybe they'd have an ounce of respect for gun owners.

They're so detached from reality because they have people protecting them.

They live in a pseudo-reality where all their needs are taken care of.

Actually they are not "regular people". They are former Presidents of the United States of America and in this crazy world they should be provided protection if they want it. It's a small expenditure in the scheme of things and, I feel, well worth the investment.

thats the hypocrisy of it all however.