Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Delay of Harvard report on Jesus 'wife' papyr

docyabut2

A long-awaited article on a Coptic papyrus fragment believed to reference the wife of Jesus has been left out of the Harvard Theological Review, furthering doubts about the artifact’s authenticity.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/01/10/testing-delays-harvard-theological-review-report-on-authenticity-jesus-wife/?test=latestnews#ixzz2HdcmSOUq

• Like 1

It was very uncommon for jews not to have wives back then, so I'll assume he had one. Lest he be looked down on by his fellow jews.

• Like 1

It was very uncommon for jews not to have wives back then, so I'll assume he had one. Lest he be looked down on by his fellow jews.

Not necessarily, there were other Jewish sects that did not believe in marriage like the Essenes, John the bapist was not said to be married. Well any how some of these finds were not known to be dug up and are not geuine,just out there on the market, forgeries do emerge in the industry.

Looked down on by fellow Jews...the ones the crucified him?

Edit: technically Romans, but you get the humor ;)

Edited by PhoenixBird88
  • Like 3

If some sects did not believe in marriage how did they manage to continue with no offspring? Or were all the children out of wedlock ? Does not make sense unless all the Essenes etc were just men in a men only group.

Edited by minera

To accomplish his Fathers work, it was necessary for him not to. But the answer to this riddle is actually in Genesis. You just have to understand what your looking at.

1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

----In Jesus God finished his work on the seventh day, and Jesus was sanctified. For Jesus was LORD of the Sabbath day. ------

2:20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

---- so from all this we can tell that a period of time had gone by otherwise they would have been created at the same time. -----

2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

The wife is equal in the image of God being made fruitful in wisdom and virtue. Yet still she is to serve her husband.----

3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

----but if you are wondering what is taking her so long?---

3:13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

---- If you are not well versed with scriptural symbolism and etymologies you may not understand what is truly being said here. Id fill you in, but I wont use to much space here. For better understanding, message me.

• Like 1

Jesus said that some are to be married & some are not to be.I can not remember the exact chapter or verses. I am not a Bible scholar so,someone, PLEASE help me lol .Meaning that not everyone has to conform to the strict confines of society's expectations of having to be married by a certain age etc. Many men did not marry,by choice.Many also went on to achieve other notorious achievements as celibates etc for reasons of duty or private reasons.Marriage was not the be all & end all then, like today,like so many other single persons that want a life different to the so-called norm..So,it was not unusual for men to stay single then like today.So,my argument is,why is it so hard for everyone to accept that Jesus,the son of God did not,or should I even bother,have a wife. He did not! His life was one of duty towards the human race.He fulfilled his purpose in his short 33 years. Here is the old Christian prayer..' I believe in God, the Father almighty,maker of Heaven & Earth,& in Jesus Christ,his only son,our Lord,who was conceived by the Holy ghost,born of the virgin Mary,suffered under Pontias Pilate,was crucified dead & buried.On the third day he rose from the dead & ascended into heaven & sitteth on the right hand of God! God bless you all XOXOXO

Edited by GirlfromOz

The Vatican also claims all kinds of things, and is hardly the most reliable source on earth, given its cover up of pedophile clergy. I can see why they get their skirts in an uproar over any hint the Jesus might have been married, though.

It would mean that Martin Luther was right and they were wrong. LOL

• Like 1

Who cares if Jesus was or wasn't married anyway?

Some of the disciples were married and nobody bats an eye, so what's the big deal?

• Like 2

religion is all B.S and peoples stories that anybody could haved add themselves its not the word of god but the word of man

• Like 1

Well, however the case ends-up, I'm glad that there are responsible scientists who are first trying to determine if this is a "fake" or not before publishing an "official" opinion.

Edited by pallidin

It is also possible that he was gay, or that he was simply asexual. Why do people continue to worry about the details of life of semi-fictional characters? It does not matter one iota one way or the other.

• Like 1

Jesus was GOD in the flesh! why would he need a wife? LOL

Why not? Plenty of gods have wives. Zeus has Hera, Jupiter has Juno, and so on.

• 1 month later...

If some sects did not believe in marriage how did they manage to continue with no offspring? Or were all the children out of wedlock ? Does not make sense unless all the Essenes etc were just men in a men only group.

According to Flavius Josephus, a famous Jewish Historian of the First Century in his book "Antiquities of the Jews" only a very small and marginal faction of the Essenes

would not marry. They lived in monastery-like caves and had no outdoor life. The greater part of the Essenes would marry just like any other Jew and would interact publicly with the larger community. John the Immerser aka John Baptist was of the kind to interact with the Jews in general. And so was Jesus. Hence what Jesus underwent under John Baptist at the Jordan River was his mikveh prior to his wedding in Cana of the Galilee. Otherwise, he could not be "ordained" into the Rabbinate, as a Teacher could not act as a single man. Paul attested to that in I Timothy 3:2.

Ben

• Like 1

According to Flavius Josephus, a famous Jewish Historian of the First Century in his book "Antiquities of the Jews" only a very small and marginal faction of the Essenes

would not marry. They lived in monastery-like caves and had no outdoor life. The greater part of the Essenes would marry just like any other Jew and would interact publicly with the larger community. John the Immerser aka John Baptist was of the kind to interact with the Jews in general. And so was Jesus. Hence what Jesus underwent under John Baptist at the Jordan River was his mikveh prior to his wedding in Cana of the Galilee. Otherwise, he could not be "ordained" into the Rabbinate, as a Teacher could not act as a single man. Paul attested to that in I Timothy 3:2.

Ben

Actually I believe that the Church distorted many of the facts or just left them out entirely to suit themselves. A Rabbi being married is more capable of counseling on marriage and family than a priest who has never married and knows nothing of marriage.

Almost inconceivable that he wasn't married.

Mary Magdaline was the girl.

All rabbi/holy men were married before they conducted their ministry - and so it should be.

Br Cornelius

Actually I believe that the Church distorted many of the facts or just left them out entirely to suit themselves. A Rabbi being married is more capable of counseling on marriage and family than a priest who has never married and knows nothing of marriage.

That stands the reason and does sound quite obvious. It is true today and I believe, much more in the First Century. What I do not understand is why hide that from Jesus' records when being a married man would only enhance toward his credibility. IMO, the Church was afraid to have to drop the claim that he was God or son of God. That BTW, would not be a bad idea considering that it smells too mythological to be Jewish. It only shows how Hellenistic Christianity is.

Ben

Almost inconceivable that he wasn't married.

Mary Magdaline was the girl.

All rabbi/holy men were married before they conducted their ministry - and so it should be.

Br Cornelius

And she was the "beloved disciple" Jesus referred to on the cross when he entrusted his mother to her implying that they should take care of each other. John, whom the Church interpolated to misguide the future readers into believing that he was the one, it becomes a contradiction for three reasons: First, because when Jesus was arrested in the Gethsemane ALL the disciples got scared, deserted Jesus and ran away. (Mark 14:50) Second, it was a Roman policy not to allow any of the disciples of a crucified even approach the site of crucifixion. And third, it would have been against Jewish family tradition to entrust one's mother to another male to take care of her. Besides, Mary Magdalene was right there before the cross hand-in-hand with the mother of Jesus. (John 19:25) It is only obvious that he was entrusting his mother to his wife and vice-versa.

Ben

Ben

According to Cayce , Jopseh and Mary were of the Essenes that did marry,but Jesus was a monk of the Essenes that did not marry. Ever wonder why Jesus was hanging out in the mountains caves so much :unsure2:

And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit for forty days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry” (Gospel of Luke, Chapter 4, verses 1-2).

Edited by docyabut2

According to Cayce , Jopseh and Mary were of the Essenes that did marry,but Jesus was a monk of the Essenes that did not marry. Ever wonder why Jesus was hanging out in the mountains caves so much :unsure2:

And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit for forty days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry” (Gospel of Luke, Chapter 4, verses 1-2).

Do you know why the first three gospels did not report about Jesus in Cana at his wedding? Because he was in the desert for 40 days fasting rather than feasting. And do you know why the fourth gospel did not report about Jesus' fast in the desert for 40 days? Because he was getting married in Cana changing water into wine and not stone into bread. Funny isn't it? I am serious though. The text in the first three gospel are unanimous by saying that immediately as Jesus came out of the waters in the Jordan, he was taken by the Spirit into to desert where he fast for 40 days; but according to the fourth gospel, on the third day after the baptism he was in Cana getting married. How can you fix this so that all the four gospels will be in tune with each other? That's a contradiction if you ask me.

Ben

• 1 year later...

"To call it controversial is putting it mildly: Harvard professor Karen L. King in September 2012 debuted an ancient papyrus now known as the "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" at a conference in Rome.

The papyrus makes an explicit reference to the woman's existence with the line, "Jesus said to them, 'My wife...'" Now, extensive testing by professors from Columbia, Harvard, and MIT in the fields of electrical engineering, chemistry, and biology has found no indications that it is a modern forgery, per an article by King published today in the Harvard Theological Review."

Link to the above Fox news article:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/04/10/papyrus-mentioning-jesus-wife-likely-not-forgery/?intcmp=features

Link to Boston Globe article:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/04/10/new-tests-show-evidence-forgery-gospel-jesus-wife/IusII8b4eI86HgDTKipLhN/igraphic.html

Just thought I'd Share

• Like 1

Good share too ... thanks :tu:

sadly its a bit late for the honeymoon ~

• 5 months later...

Jesus was GOD in the flesh! why would he need a wife? LOL.

How sure are you that Jesus was God in the flesh? Did you know that he was a Jewish man whose Faith was Judaism? There is no such a thing in Judaism as a man-god.The idea is akin more to Greek Mythology. You know the myth of the demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman. The problem therefore is with the Christian blunder to have picked up a Jewish man to teach that myth. (Acts 9:20) A Greek would have avoided many a problem.

Edited by Ben Masada