Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Miss America contestant

Ashotep

Miss America contestant Allyn Rose, who is Miss DC, plans to undergo a double mastectomy after she struts her stuff at the Miss America pageant on Saturday. Rose is having a surgery to reduce her chances of developing the disease that killed her mother, grandmother and great aunt.

Miss America contestant Allyn Rose to get double mastectomy

I've heard of women doing this before because of a high likelihood of them getting breast cancer. It must of been a hard decision, it would be for me but I don't blame her. You can always get fake ones but you can't get another life. I was wondering how many women on here would do this?

Why?? She can just load up on antioxidants and get checked a couple of times per year! That's crazy. So many things she can do to protect herself withouth going radical, it's a shame.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 3

She has lost several members of her family to this and you don't always find it in time even if you get checked twice a year. Some breast cancers are so fast spreading even the smallest lump means its too late.

• Like 2

I applaud her common sense and the fact that she might change the mind of fence sitters considering the prophylactic mastectomy route. Lost a friend to breast cancer last year - she was 53 with two kids under 18.

• Like 1

I can see both sides, and I'm resolved to say...it's her body, so it's her decision, I would probably take my chances if it was me though.

• Like 3

This isnt first time this has happened. It must be a tough decision for a woman to make. She must feel there is a high risk for to her get a deadly form of breast cancer. I certainly wont shame her for making that choice. Good luck in the pageant.

• Like 1

The best approach to cancer prevention would be a lifetime commitment to diet and exercise. Eat the rainbow, every day. Exercise intensely, every day. My g/f had breasts until she discovered her P90X/Insanity obsession on top of the Mediterranean diet she already followed, and the muscles came out and the breasts went bye-bye. Surgery is always the quicker way out but never the better one.

I have the BRAC1/2 gene mutation and I am at high risk of developing breast cancer. My twin and I had genetic screening with the experts at one of England's top cancer units and they recommended that we have a full, radical mastectomy. We nearly went through with it but sadly my twin died suddenly of asthma. My Mum had breast cancer aged 32 and recovered but my Dad died of breast cancer at 71.

I'm sharing this with you because I want the guy's out there to be aware that it's not just women who get breast cancer but men do too! Only 200 men in the UK per year are diagnosed, so please check yourselves guy's and gal's for lumps, bumps and any discharge coming from your breasts (yes men have breasts!)

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 4

I really dont care what she does,Let her do to her body what she wants too,It's not like she is important to me or anyone sept her dad,But Im a cold person,I dont help people who think ...........never mind.Let her do what she wants so she can go on with her life and we dont have to waste our time posting about her,I never liked the women who can flaunt their bodies to the world.I may be a man but I have bigger respect for those women who know they are pretty but dont try to make a big deal out of it,MIss America Pagent? God Isnt there someother way these women could show the world their empowerment?

Lose your boobs or lose your life? Bye bye bras!

But she doesn't have breast cancer. Should I get my testes removed so that I don't get testicular cancer, or would that be a little too pre-emptive?

But she doesn't have breast cancer. Should I get my testes removed so that I don't get testicular cancer, or would that be a little too pre-emptive?

Does it bother you that much that she removed her breasts to prevent breast cancer? Her body, her choice. You can do what you want with your testes and I'll do what I want with my chestbags.

• Like 2

The best approach to cancer prevention would be a lifetime commitment to diet and exercise. Eat the rainbow, every day. Exercise intensely, every day. My g/f had breasts until she discovered her P90X/Insanity obsession on top of the Mediterranean diet she already followed, and the muscles came out and the breasts went bye-bye. Surgery is always the quicker way out but never the better one.

Those programs you mentioned are very heavily cardio based and the muscle you speak of is probably being expose as a result of lower body fat % and not necessarily gains. I don't think that is generally the way to go. A lot of these fads are misconceived and driven by misinformation. I'd personally for females stick to a balanced diet, ensure you are getting the right macros and micros (macros being carbs, protein etc intake and micros being the minerals like sodium, potassium etc). Do weight exercises as these strengthen not only your body but your nervous system and mind.

Mostly what happens with those program's is that the people doing them overtrain and end up doing more harm than good. My sister is very skinny due to simply completely avoiding any fatty or high carb foods (you can eat these without putting on 5kg the next day, as for junk for it can potentially be good for your lot abolish to have once a week, your motabolism slows if you don't eat enough so keeping a bit of a balance is the best idea) and overtrains. She thinks she is being healthy but she is very underweight and gets cold really easily. My mother had cancer and at this rate, she could be making herself more susceptible due to the extra stress on her body.

Those programs you mentioned are very heavily cardio based and the muscle you speak of is probably being expose as a result of lower body fat % and not necessarily gains.

IMG_04271_zps35a54f83.jpg

Have you ever done those programs? I did P90X for 60 days and I gained seven pounds. Most men do, because you build muscle mass lifting weights, doing squats, pullups/chinups, pushups for 60+ minutes a day. It's more resistance training than cardio actually. The "Cardio X" workout isn't even incorporated into the regular P90X program but rather, it's used as a supplemental workout if people want to do two workouts a day instead of one. They have a lean program that incorporates the cardio routine into the schedule, for people who consider weight loss to be the primary goal, or alternately for women who are afraid of building muscle.

Prolly :whistle:

IMG_04271_zps35a54f83.jpg

Have you ever done those programs? I did P90X for 60 days and I gained seven pounds. Most men do, because you build muscle mass lifting weights, doing squats, pullups/chinups, pushups for 60+ minutes a day. It's more resistance training than cardio actually. The "Cardio X" workout isn't even incorporated into the regular P90X program but rather, it's used as a supplemental workout if people want to do two workouts a day instead of one. They have a lean program that incorporates the cardio routine into the schedule, for people who consider weight loss to be the primary goal, or alternately for women who are afraid of building muscle.

Never did those program's because I believe they are generally a waste of time. I've gained about 9 pounds in a bit over a month. Which is about 5% of my total body mass. Does this mean I've gained 9 pounds of muscle? Nope. 60 minutes is the prime time to actually work out, generally after this your body enters a catabolic state which is undesirable as it starts to break down tissue instead.

It's this simple, compound exercises. What do these do? Well they are compound do they generally activate the core muscles while doing them. Squats, bench press and deadlifts.

What actually needs to be done is to eliminate the misconception that you will turn into Arnold schwartznegger if you lift up a weight. Most women who aren't even fat go onto these programs an end up overtraining and underweight. I've experienced firsthand these "magic" program's spreading misinformation about how to eat and train.

I'm not huge and I can lift over twice my body weight. Most women in the gym won't even aim to lift like that to achieve a goal they will actually be happy with. While being healthy in the body and mind as well. I believe maintaining this level of health and positivity working out can keep a lot more at bay than a lot think. By doing the right thing of course.

Never did those program's because I believe they are generally a waste of time. I've gained about 9 pounds in a bit over a month. Which is about 5% of my total body mass. Does this mean I've gained 9 pounds of muscle? Nope. 60 minutes is the prime time to actually work out, generally after this your body enters a catabolic state which is undesirable as it starts to break down tissue instead.

It's this simple, compound exercises. What do these do? Well they are compound do they generally activate the core muscles while doing them. Squats, bench press and deadlifts.

What actually needs to be done is to eliminate the misconception that you will turn into Arnold schwartznegger if you lift up a weight. Most women who aren't even fat go onto these programs an end up overtraining and underweight. I've experienced firsthand these "magic" program's spreading misinformation about how to eat and train.

I'm not huge and I can lift over twice my body weight. Most women in the gym won't even aim to lift like that to achieve a goal they will actually be happy with. While being healthy in the body and mind as well. I believe maintaining this level of health and positivity working out can keep a lot more at bay than a lot think. By doing the right thing of course.

Most people give up because it takes hard work and dedication and tremendous motivation. My energy level went through the roof in less than three weeks of doing P90X. Go and look at the ratings for these programs online. What misinformation are you talking about? If it was anything like what you're making it sound there'd be some evidence on the internet of it.

Most people give up because it takes hard work and dedication and tremendous motivation. My energy level went through the roof in less than three weeks of doing P90X. Go and look at the ratings for these programs online. What misinformation are you talking about? If it was anything like what you're making it sound there'd be some evidence on the internet of it.

That is true, it requires tending to diet, sleeping pattern and lifestyle. When it comes down to it, who are the people looking to get the best out of their training? Olympians. Do you see them doing P90X or Insanity workout? They can be 5 star ratings for all I care. The best exercises are the ones I mentioned earlier, the compounds, but of course if only done properly.

Ive seen one that basically enforces a no carb diet an scares the women into thinking they'll turn fat if they eat anything like it. No doubt a breeding ground for early stages of anorexia, especially to immature minds.

• Like 1

All I do is go hiking and use a bowflex. I might hike for an hour or two but I don't use the bowflex for longer than 20 minutes or so two or three times a week. I've heard exercise will cut your risks of cancer but if its a genetic thing I wonder how much it helps that.

• Like 1

That is true, it requires tending to diet, sleeping pattern and lifestyle. When it comes down to it, who are the people looking to get the best out of their training? Olympians. Do you see them doing P90X or Insanity workout? They can be 5 star ratings for all I care. The best exercises are the ones I mentioned earlier, the compounds, but of course if only done properly.

Ive seen one that basically enforces a no carb diet an scares the women into thinking they'll turn fat if they eat anything like it. No doubt a breeding ground for early stages of anorexia, especially to immature minds.

Who said there aren't compound exercises in P90X? Nearly the entire program is core activating compound resistance training which is the opposite of what you've been trying to describe it as. You really need to learn about something before preaching this much about it.

P90X diet is akin to climbing Michi's Ladder. It's not about deprivation and counting points, it's about moving your diet to healthful foods on higher tiers.

Who said there aren't compound exercises in P90X? Nearly the entire program is core activating compound resistance training which is the opposite of what you've been trying to describe it as. You really need to learn about something before preaching this much about it.

P90X diet is akin to climbing Michi's Ladder. It's not about deprivation and counting points, it's about moving your diet to healthful foods on higher tiers.

Looked at the standard gear required. Didn't see a barbell or squat rack. Just a gimmick to me. You can do so much more without spending money on some program. Not saying it doesn't work because of course if you're going to do cardio and such like that it's going to do something but as I said. Seems like some cross-fit joke. Make better gains doing what I said before and without forking three figures out for some program.

The information is out there. As I said, Olympians who aim for peak physical fitness will not do these programs. They would be doing what I mentioned earlier.

Looked at the standard gear required. Didn't see a barbell or squat rack. Just a gimmick to me. You can do so much more without spending money on some program. Not saying it doesn't work because of course if you're going to do cardio and such like that it's going to do something but as I said. Seems like some cross-fit joke. Make better gains doing what I said before and without forking three figures out for some program.

The information is out there. As I said, Olympians who aim for peak physical fitness will not do these programs. They would be doing what I mentioned earlier.

You have to spend even more money on barbell plates and squat racks! So again, the implication that you'll save money by not having to spend money on the program is also false. And even worse on the budget than squat racks and plate weights for barbells are gym memberships!

P90X is a mass market program designed to get people in the best shape of their lives without causing injury and it succeeds in spades.

You don't need a squat rack to do squats. And not many people have room in their apartments/homes for squat racks anyway. You don't need a barbell to do squats either. Gym equipment like squat racks that use barbells are inferior because barbells force your shoulders/arms into fixed positions not to mention greater chance of injury. The key to peak muscle fitness is variety and change, not going to a gym and repeating the same (compound) exercises over and over again. P90X is literally saving people's lives, and the amazing testimonies are everywhere.

I don't see any information out there that you can get better results than P90X with a barbell and a squat rack. Anyone in the fitness industry who called P90X a gimmick wouldn't be taken seriously. I'd love to see anyone of any repute on the internet who agrees with you.

You have to spend even more money on barbell plates and squat racks! So again, the implication that you'll save money by not having to spend money on the program is also false. And even worse on the budget than squat racks and plate weights for barbells are gym memberships!

P90X is a mass market program designed to get people in the best shape of their lives without causing injury and it succeeds in spades.

You don't need a squat rack to do squats. And not many people have room in their apartments/homes for squat racks anyway. You don't need a barbell to do squats either. Gym equipment like squat racks that use barbells are inferior because barbells force your shoulders/arms into fixed positions not to mention greater chance of injury. The key to peak muscle fitness is variety and change, not going to a gym and repeating the same (compound) exercises over and over again. P90X is literally saving people's lives, and the amazing testimonies are everywhere.

I don't see any information out there that you can get better results than P90X with a barbell and a squat rack. Anyone in the fitness industry who called P90X a gimmick wouldn't be taken seriously. I'd love to see anyone of any repute on the internet who agrees with you.

Going to a gym actually has more benefits than a home workout. The atmosphere, people and such have an effect and most likely a positive one. Also gives you a lot more incentive to go.

Doing squats without a squat rack can be dangerous, unless you can military press what you squat. You will need a barbell to squat (if you were talking about bodysquats before then yes of course you can do that pretty much anywhere) if you want to see strength and mass gains. And no, doing the lifts properly are actually done with a natural, fluid movement. You can do stretches to minimise injury.

My strength, mass and fitness has increased substantially over the past few months since I've been very focused on the gym. Many Olympians squat almost everyday... Yet they are described as being and always aiming for peak physical fitness? Every time I've gone into the gym the past few weeks I pull a PB in one of my exercises. Or perhaps I don't know what I'm doing or talking about?

A lot of people in the fitness industry, particularly personal trainers don't know what they're talking about.

It's also funny that most of the fitness models actually promoting some of these programs have actually been doing what I'm doing. People think they will turn into them by jumping on some of these programs. It is like those kids who ask a bodybuilder what their routine is because they want to get bigger. The problem with that is the bodybuilders routine has changed since they first started. More definition and focused exercises are evident. So effectively you will get some gains but in the long run it will not be what you're after.

Going to a gym actually has more benefits than a home workout. The atmosphere, people and such have an effect and most likely a positive one. Also gives you a lot more incentive to go.

Doing squats without a squat rack can be dangerous, unless you can military press what you squat. You will need a barbell to squat (if you were talking about bodysquats before then yes of course you can do that pretty much anywhere) if you want to see strength and mass gains. And no, doing the lifts properly are actually done with a natural, fluid movement. You can do stretches to minimise injury.

My strength, mass and fitness has increased substantially over the past few months since I've been very focused on the gym. Many Olympians squat almost everyday... Yet they are described as being and always aiming for peak physical fitness? Every time I've gone into the gym the past few weeks I pull a PB in one of my exercises. Or perhaps I don't know what I'm doing or talking about?

A lot of people in the fitness industry, particularly personal trainers don't know what they're talking about.

It's also funny that most of the fitness models actually promoting some of these programs have actually been doing what I'm doing. People think they will turn into them by jumping on some of these programs. It is like those kids who ask a bodybuilder what their routine is because they want to get bigger. The problem with that is the bodybuilders routine has changed since they first started. More definition and focused exercises are evident. So effectively you will get some gains but in the long run it will not be what you're after.

Olympians train primarily by practicing whatever it is they're competing for, thousands of times over again. Bodybuilding isn't even a good idea for many Olympians depending on what their sport is, so trying to pad your opinions with all this "Olympian" talk doesn't look right. Exercise is fundamental. If stamina, flexibility, balance, strength, endurance and diet have anything to do with athletics, these "gimmicks" as you call them will help dramatically. If you have such great ideas, then convince people to spend their money on them like the programs you love to badmouth already have. It doesn't surprise me at all that you haven't produced anything from the internet despite your internet access.