Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents sue NHS hospital for 'wrongful birth'

Still Waters

A distraught couple are suing a medical trust for millions after claiming blunders made by hospital staff led to the 'wrongful birth' of their severely disabled daughter.

The parents, who have not been identified, say John Radcliffe Hospital, in Oxford, failed to spot that their unborn child would be born disabled despite it carrying out antenatal scans.

Had they known in time, the couple would have made the heartbreaking decision to terminate the pregnancy.

http://www.dailymail...bnormality.html

• Like 1

I feel for them - I can understand the hospital apologising and even the claim for money to help bring the child up. But I would stop short of actually blaming anyone, since it's hardly something someone would do on purpose.

My youngest sister gave birth to her first born back in September, a little girl, she had a perfectly healthy pregnancy, with no abnormalities to speak of......the hospital messed up her birth though, sending my sister home for a while after her waters had broken, by the time she went back the babies heart beat had dropped significantly, by the time she entered the world she had stopped breathing, they got her breathing again after a while but she now has permanent brain damage. A lot of people are pushing her to sue, but she won't hear of it, she knows it wasn't done on purpose and she is just happy to have her little girl and that they saved her form dying.

Tricky and sad situation all round from both sides of cases like this.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is unbelievable.

I am in shock to how any self respecting parents could say such a terrible thing.

I think that it is awful to say you want a child aborted because it's disabled.

Doesn't that child have every right to live than a able bodied normal child?

This is the sole reason I don't agree or like Abortion.

Because people take advantage of it and use it for the wrong reasons.

The only time Abortion should be used is when a woman is likely to die, if she gives birth.

A baby is so badly disfigured, it has no chance of survival, or in the case of Rape.

Any other time such as what these people wanted to do should not be allowed.

What gives people the right to just play God and have Abortions just because they don't want a child

or more disturbingly because "There disabled" , "They have the wrong eye colour" or something else as inane

and absurd.

Before anyone starts saying i'm religious. Well i'm not religious, nor do I care to much for it.

It just angers me when I hear stories such as this.It annoys me people say this sort of thing about there own children.

It also annoys me how Abortions are used wrongly when they are meant to be in exceptional and severe cases, where either a child or woman's life is at risk.

• Like 3

This is unbelievable.

I am in shock to how any self respecting parents could say such a terrible thing.

I think that it is awful to say you want a child aborted because it's disabled.

Doesn't that child have every right to live than a able bodied normal child?

This is the sole reason I don't agree or like Abortion.

Because people take advantage of it and use it for the wrong reasons.

The only time Abortion should be used is when a woman is likely to die, if she gives birth.

A baby is so badly disfigured, it has no chance of survival, or in the case of Rape.

Any other time such as what these people wanted to do should not be allowed.

What gives people the right to just play God and have Abortions just because they don't want a child

or more disturbingly because "There disabled" , "They have the wrong eye colour" or something else as inane

and absurd.

Before anyone starts saying i'm religious. Well i'm not religious, nor do I care to much for it.

It just angers me when I hear stories such as this.It annoys me people say this sort of thing about there own children.

It also annoys me how Abortions are used wrongly when they are meant to be in exceptional and severe cases, where either a child or woman's life is at risk.

How can you say that a baby conceived from a rape doesn't have as much right to live as one conceived on purpose? Seems a little contrasting to your earlier comment about the sole reason you don't agree with abortion.

• Like 4

I am sick of it being taught that if you have a child with a disability then you should "abort" it. That child has the same rights as anyone else does to a life. People need to be educated on what to do and places to get help from if there child does have a disability.

Here are two links if anyone wants to read about children who are loved who have a disability.

http://noahsdad.com/

http://www.christianbuchanan.blogspot.com/

I am 100% for a babies right to life.

If a woman wants to "abort" her child if her life is truly in danger then I guess that is her right since you have the right to choose your life over another and to many that would be a very hard choice and a sad one so I will not criticize those who had to make that decision.

• Like 2

I dont see a case. You cant detect everything in the womb. To me it seems like they want the money and this is there excuse to get it.

think that it is awful to say you want a child aborted because it's disabled.

Not really - i know that if I was badly disabled I wouldn't have wanted to be born... :unsure2:

There is something to be said about quality of life :yes:

Not really - i know that if I was badly disabled I wouldn't have wanted to be born... :unsure2:

There is something to be said about quality of life :yes:

But don't disabled people deserve to live.

It doesn't matter if there badly disabled, they can still have a life and make the best of it.

A lot of disabled people are happy in there way

How can you say that a baby conceived from a rape doesn't have as much right to live as one conceived on purpose? Seems a little contrasting to your earlier comment about the sole reason you don't agree with abortion.

I don't agree with Abortion unless it's an exceptional and severe case-such as the woman or Baby dying.

In the case of Rape, it's a gray area. I don't like the idea of the baby being aborted because it's not there fault.

But I understand why someone would do it, because they'd be concerned the baby would be traumatised.

It's one of those things i'm not sure about.

A lot of disabled people are happy in there way

I find this hard to believe - (mildly disabled aside) - but could it be because they simply do not know any better? :unsure2:

When I went for the 20 week ultra sound scans, before they preformed the scans, they gave me a form to sign... At the bottom of the form it states, we may not be able to detect all abnormalities...You sign it, and then they continue.. But I don't understand how they couldn't tell if she was severely disabled as the article reads? The 20 weeks scan for example, looks for abnormalities on the spine and brain among other area, so again I don't get how they could not spot something that is considered severe ? Unless something happened AFTER the scan.. It did to me.. My baby girl was doing great in all her scans, but she didn't make it in the end.. So I don't know what has truly happened here..

On the three occasions I did go with all three of my pregnancies, I was always nervous of finding out the worst.. No parent wants to hear their child will never get the chance to lead a normal healthy life, and to get to enjoy life like other kids..We parents want the best for our children

I am not saying the parents are in the right or wrong.. That is something I don't wish to comment on... I feel it is a hard subject to touch to be honest

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I find this hard to believe - (mildly disabled aside) - but could it be because they simply do not know any better? :unsure2:

Do you think that if someone is badly disabled,such as brain damaged, no arms and legs, severe disfigurements etc that they don't have a right to life, as much as someone who is able bodied?

I'm just interested

When I went for the 20 week ultra sound scans, before they preformed the scans, they gave me a form to sign... At the bottom of the form it states, we may not be able to detect all abnormalities...You sign it, and then they continue.. But I don't understand how they couldn't tell if she was severely disabled as the article reads? The 20 weeks scan for example, looks for abnormalities on the spine and brain among other area, so again I don't get how they could not spot something that is considered severe ? Unless something happened AFTER the scan.. It did to me.. My baby girl was doing great in all her scans, but she didn't make it in the end.. So I don't know what has truly happened here..

On the three occasions I did go with all three of my pregnancies, I was always nervous of finding out the worst.. No parent wants to hear their child will never get the chance to lead a normal healthy life, and to get to enjoy life like other kids..We parents want the best for our children

I am not saying the parents are in the right or wrong.. That is something I don't wish to comment on... I feel it is a hard subject to touch to be honest

Fair enough.I respect your opinions.But don't you think it's a bit wrong of them to say they would of aborted the child, if they knew it was going to be badly disabled? I feel as it's not a nice thing to say about there own child. As far as I know, the law is Abortions are meant to be for severe cases, such as the woman likely dying or if the baby is likely to pass away as well. In this case, that wasn't the case.

Do you think that if someone is badly disabled,such as brain damaged, no arms and legs, severe disfigurements etc that they don't have a right to life, as much as someone who is able bodied?

I'm just interested

I grew up in a town that had a special facility for 'mentally retarded' this was the label in the 80s. I saw how so many of the patients were treated out in public. I always stuck up for them and when waiting on them I would count to ten because they usually had to go through a ritual each and everytime when they were orfering, even though they ordered the same thing every day. I had to kick some teenagers out of the restaurant for bugging one mentally challenged lady. She was crying and asking me why people did that and why she was born that way. Believe me, they know that they aren't "normal". So, unless everyone around them are compassionate and educated, they will be exposed to a lot of negativity. And some of the worse treatment I experienced was by the family-they didn't want to admit that they created a child that wasn't "normal".

Fair enough.I respect your opinions.But don't you think it's a bit wrong of them to say they would of aborted the child, if they knew it was going to be badly disabled? I feel as it's not a nice thing to say about there own child. As far as I know, the law is Abortions are meant to be for severe cases, such as the woman likely dying or if the baby is likely to pass away as well. In this case, that wasn't the case.

Looking at reality, many have indeed aborted because of severe disabilities ..I am not saying they are right or wrong.. It is reality, and each parent will view it differently

To look at both sides.in relation to severely disabled ( it's only fair to )

For some - Many will not want to put a child through such a life, that it will not be able to experience what other children get to do..And have to watch their child suffer and struggle .. Not many like that idea, knowing it is a burden and it takes a lot of money, time and round the clock care, so they have terminated ..It was not an easy decision for them, from what I have read...Many said it was heartbreaking...

For others - On the other hand .. Many don't like the thoughts of their child going through it, but will keep the child, even though it is severely disabled and suffering, they will do all for it as much as they can and this is not easy, it can be stressful...But the thoughts of letting go for them is a hard thing to do. .At the same time I am sure it is heartbreaking, but they cling on and do what they feel is best..

So for both sides, it is heartbreaking.. And I would say very tough to face

This is why I cannot comment,..It is really hard and sensitive subject to touch... Too many out there are willing to judge you if you say the wrong thing..or what they feel is the wrong thing..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I don't agree with Abortion unless it's an exceptional and severe case-such as the woman or Baby dying.

In the case of Rape, it's a gray area. I don't like the idea of the baby being aborted because it's not there fault.

But I understand why someone would do it, because they'd be concerned the baby would be traumatised.

It's one of those things i'm not sure about.

Whether it's rape or not, it's never the fault of the baby.

Did you mean to write that the 'baby would be traumatised' or did you mean the mother?