Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What book did you buy?

buckskin scout

This may be a sister thread to "What Are You Reading?" (The latter which I feel deserves to be a sticky thread btw.)

Here are the list of books I bought recently:

Terror By Night - Ambrose Bierce (51 classic ghost and horror stories)

A Charlie Chan Omnibus - Earl Derr Biggers (contains the first 3 of 6 Charlie Chan books penned by the author)

Tales Of Unease - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Haunter Of The Ring & Other Tales - Robert E Howard (a 416 page volume of the pulp writer's supernatural and horror stories)

The Right Hand Of Doom & Other Tales Of Solomon Kane - Robert E Howard (contains all ten SK tales ever penned by REH)

Dead Of Night - The Ghost Stories Of Oliver Onions (a whopping 672 pages)

These are all Wordsworth Editions and are relatively inexpensive for a variety of Victorian and Edwardian ghost story and mystery writers there is even some weird fiction and pulp offerings too.

I wanted to buy the E.F. Benson, Lafcadio Hearn, Matthew Lewis, and Ann Radcliffe books but my dollar had been stretched well enough.

Here is their site: http://wordsworth-editions.com/category/mystery-&-supernatural

• Like 1

Night Terrors - The Ghost Stories Of E F Benson (a whopping 720 pages!)

The Black Camel - Earl Derr Biggers (4th Charlie Chan book)

Keeper Of The Keys - Earl Derr Biggers (6th Charlie Chan Book)

John Lancaster: Capital

Craig Robertson: Cold Grave

Because books are so dirt cheap at Tesco I suffer from bouts of impulse buying.

I've got about 320 that have not been read yet so that's a lot of ornaments.

I'm always admiring their aesthetic beauty which is why it's important to save the printed word.

I've been known to stroke then now and again in admiration but I never find the time to read then.

It's a crying shame really.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

A Song of Fire and Ice first four books.

The first three are truly awesome and epic books. I started on the series right before A Storm Of Swords hit the bookshelves. But havent finished the series due to the length of time it took for GRRM to get the 4th book published.

John Lancaster: Capital

Craig Robertson: Cold Grave

Because books are so dirt cheap at Tesco I suffer from bouts of impulse buying.

I've got about 320 that have not been read yet so that's a lot of ornaments.

I'm always admiring their aesthetic beauty which is why it's important to save the printed word.

I've been known to stroke then now and again in admiration but I never find the time to read then.

It's a crying shame really.

I am a compulsive book buyer too especially when I find bargain. I have 2-3 boxes of unread books stored away. I just went on a two-day spree bought 9 books for a total of $63.60, that averages roughly to $7.07 a book and 2 were trade paperbacks. Christmas giftcards! :yes:

The first three are truly awesome and epic books. I started on the series right before A Storm Of Swords hit the bookshelves. But havent finished the series due to the length of time it took for GRRM to get the 4th book published.

One of my friends has been trying to get me interested in the series, he failed with the TV show since I wasn't interested in watching fantasy driven smut.

One of my friends has been trying to get me interested in the series, he failed with the TV show since I wasn't interested in watching fantasy driven smut.

I was once that way, attempted to get some friends to read the series and turned two friends into huge GRRM fans. Nowadays I could care less. From what I understand the series reached its peak with book 3 and it has all gone downhill from there. Now the plot moves extremely slow with tons of filler and more filler (like what Jordan's 23 year epic had become).

My most recent book purchase in There's One in Your Neighborhood: The Lost Movie Theatres of New Orleans

• Like 1

You're no fun Hasina. :P I read two of the books and got fed up with the snail's pace of the whole story. One book covers one week at best. It's bloody annoying!

You're no fun Hasina. :P I read two of the books and got fed up with the snail's pace of the whole story. One book covers one week at best. It's bloody annoying!

I like story's that take their time! (No surprise I'm a fan of Homestuck then). I was told about the TV series that the one time their sexual deeds wasn't done in doggy style, it was a plot point.

Try reading the Gunslinger, first book of the Dark Tower series, for the first part of the book you go backwards, a flash back THEN a flashback IN a flashback.

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts

Carol Tavris, Elliot Aronson

I listened to an interview with Carol Tavris and the book seems like something I might enjoy.

It covers the theory of cognitive dissonance.

David Wong: This Book Is Full Of Spiders.

David Brin: Existence

I've decided to have a go at arachnophobia and space opera.

Picked up the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb second hand over Christmas as they were highly recommended by a close friend.

I'll fair give it a go anyway once I've finished 1984.

• 1 month later...

I've bought a couple of John Birmingham books...

After America and Angels of Vengeance.

However I'm a bit miffed I didn't get the one that set the ball rolling on this trilogy.

So like the fourth Mira Grant zombie book,Without Warning is on my wish list.

This is worth mentioning because he's got an accredited Wikpedia page.

That gives me an indication on how disposable it's going to be.

However I hope this trilogy of books isn't part of the John Patterson principle.

What with him having his own Wikipedia page as well.

I do want some intelligent writing not short chapters.

Edited by Medium Brown

Let's see :

Khubilai Khan Lord of Xanadu, Emperor of China by Jonathan Clements

Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence

THe Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

Inferno by Dante

Filth by Irvine Welsh

THe Word According to Eve, Women and the Bible in Ancient Times and in Our Own by Cullen Murphy

I usually go to my local library, but I did pick up a cookbook a few weeks back from the resale shop for a dollar. The Whole Grain Baking Sampler.

The last two books I bought were "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline, and "A Memory of Light", the final book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson). Both books are highly recommended, despite their various flaws.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Woot!I've bought the last remaining John Birmingham book " Without Warning"!

Edited by Medium Brown

• 2 months later...

I did some second hand bookstore shopping:

The Palestine Triangle: The Struggle For The Holy Land, 1935-48 by Nicholas Bethell

Terror Out Of Zion: Irgun Zvai Leumi, LEHI, and The Palestine Underground, 1929-1949 by J Bowyer Bell

By Blood & Fire July 22 1946: The Attack On The King David Hotel by Thurston Clarke

EDIT:

The Lion And The Eagle: The Tragedy Of American-Iranian Relations by James A Bill

Edited by B Jenkins

• 5 weeks later...

When I check out the sources cited by author's who have written on Israel and Palestine subject I've read rarely fail not to list this individual:

Taking Sides: America's Secret Relations With A Militant Israel by Stephen J Green

and its sequel

Living By The Sword: America And Israel In The Middle East, 1968-87 by Stephen J Green

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

America And The Founding Of Israel: An Investigation Of The Morality Of America's Role by John W Mulhall

Assault On The Liberty: The True Story Of The Israeli Attack On An American Intelligence Ship by James M Ennes Jr

The Attack On The Liberty: The Untold Story Of Israel's Deadly 1967 On A U.S. Spy Ship by James Scott

None So Blind: A Personal Account Of The Intelligence Failure In Vietnam by George W Allen

Slow Burn by Orrin Deforrest

War Of Numbers: An Intelligence Memoir by Sam Adams

War Without Windows by Bruce E Jones

Who The Hell Are We Fighting? The Sam Adams Story And The Vietnam Intelligence Wars by C Michael Haim

• 5 weeks later...

Bargain books I found yesterday:

When Hell Froze Over: The Secret War Between The U.S. And Russia At The Top Of The World by E.M. Halliday

(this book is about the little known/little remembered American invasion of North Russia in 1918-1919, by the American Expeditionary Force and 339th Infantry)

John Paul Jones: A Sailor's Biography by Samuel Eliot Morison

Planet Of The Apes by Pierre Boulle

• 2 months later...

I bougth all these books at a local thriftstore, they were all in good readable condition, for a mere $11 bucks ta boot. Whether they are excellent or average, or bad history does not matter at this bargain.

Duel of Eagles - Peter Townsend

A History Of Israel: From the rise of Zionism to our time - Howard M Sachar

The Life, Times, & Treacherous Death of Jesse James - Frank Triplett

The Ottoman Centuries: The Rise and Fall of the Turkish Empire - Lord Kinross

Unit 731: Japan's Secret Biological Warfare In World War II - David Wallace & Peter Williams (remember my friends treating me to one of the more disturbing Chinese horror films I have ever seen called Men Behind The Sun which was about Unit 731, bad bad film but put this terrible little known piece of history on the map personally.)

Edited by GoSC