Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Most well documented UFO case?

supersnatch

I was about to say Rendlesham Forest until I realized it was the same thing.

From the publicly available records, there were a couple cases that really grabbed the attention of the people involved in the UFO investigation in the early days, like these: ONE stood for the Office of National Estimates, which was part of the CIA.

If you could run down some of the names on this list, you'd learn quite a bit more about UFOs. This was also the first time I had seen Bill Bundy's name connected with this subject. It was also the first time I have seen J. Edgar Hoover called "Dr" since in fact he was a lawyer.

Admiral Bieri was President Eisenhower's chief of staff. NOTE: This Office did not deal only with UFOs but produced the National Intelligence Estimates (NIEs) on a wide variety of subjects. It was sort of the elite think-tank within the CIA.

O/SI refers to the CIA's Office of Scientific Intelligence, which from 1949 was also heavily involved with the Pentagon's Research and Development Board--and were know that both were very interested in UFOs. In other words, this document is more evidence of the secret, high-level UFO investigation that was running parallel to Project Sign and Blue Book.

These were the people who got the really good UFO reports, including the ones about possible crashed saucers and alien remains, which had been pulled from the regular military channels.

Edward Ruppelt once described them as "scientists—rocket experts, nuclear physicists, and intelligence experts. They had banded together to study our UFO reports because they were convinced that some of the UFO’s that were being reported were interplanetary spaceships", and we know who some of them were.

cia530130memo.gif

Edited by TheMacGuffin
  • Like 2

If I had to pick the most important and influential UFO case of all time, it would be the Washington DC flap of 1952, but of course there have been many other important cases.

I would say that the 1977 Colares UFO cases in Brazil are among the best documented, as well as some of the strangest.

Edited by TheMacGuffin
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Illinois UFO Sighting

This case involved the sighting of a huge unidentified triangular-shaped UFO by police officers and others in the early morning hours of January 5, 2000, over the state of Illinois. The officers, from a number of small Illinois towns, were able to track the unknown object and maintain radio contact with each other during the event. Their in-depth testimonies have been fully documented by investigators.

They put together a computer animated tape that took into account each of the eyewitnesses sighting and it was so ... amazing. The fact that at least 3 of the eyewitnesses were Policemen in 3 separated counties made it believable. To this day, at least for me, this is the most believable sighting. Whether it was from another world is a whole other story...

Edited by Lorelilly
  • Like 1

The Hessdalen Lights in Norway.

No, it doesn't involve flying saucers and aliens, but it's a real and continuous phenomenon and was scientifically investigated over several months which produced a long report with no solid conclusions. This makes it more interesting than stories about little green men and it is certainly far better documented than the popular cases.

• Like 6

The Hessdalen Lights in Norway.

No, it doesn't involve flying saucers and aliens, but it's a real and continuous phenomenon and was scientifically investigated over several months which produced a long report with no solid conclusions. This makes it more interesting than stories about little green men and it is certainly far better documented than the popular cases.

:tu: thats the best for me, filmed, photographed, very well documented, seriously investigated, professionally too, a dedicated study shack set up...and it went on night after night for years...

then it seemed to slow down .... no other case, so far as I know, has had that kind of serious and prolonged study, ever.

http://www.hessdalen.org/pictures/

• Like 4

I don't know why UFOlogists don't get excited about the Hessdalen Lights. Here we have dozens of high quality pictures taken over several months of unidentified lights flying around in the sky and sometimes disappearing, and a shack full of scientists with excellent test equipment (including radar) couldn't figure out what they were.

Maybe because this case doesn't sell magazines or get them on cable television?

• Like 1

I don't know why UFOlogists don't get excited about the Hessdalen Lights. Here we have dozens of high quality pictures taken over several months of unidentified lights flying around in the sky and sometimes disappearing, and a shack full of scientists with excellent test equipment (including radar) couldn't figure out what they were.

Maybe because this case doesn't sell magazines or get them on cable television?

Or maybe because the photos arent sensationalized and captioned with "Giant UFO over a nuke facility", or..."UFO's chase a motorist"

Just the sensible approach of, " Here we have real unexplained phenomena of lights in the sky", you know, with a calm and rational response...

ufo nuts want the glamor, the danger, the thrill, sadly, and aliens with bug eyes doing prostate exams on people with probes not unlike Dildo's,,,,

But NOT the serious down to earth view - and calm study...

• Like 1

Yes, there were no reports of aliens, abductions, or cattle mutilations associated with the lights.

I agree on the captioning. If you posted one of the photos with a story that began "Norwegian scientists study strange luminous phenomenon", probably no one would respond.

However you would quickly get a hundred post thread if you posted the same photo with a story that began with, "I was driving down I-84 last night, my radio stopped working, looked up saw this UFO took picture of it with my cell phone. Anybody know what planet its from?"

• Like 1

A good analysis of the Hessdalen Lights by Brian Dunning for his Skeptoid podcast.

His theory - aircraft landing lights account for the vast majority of sightings.

Read the transcript or listen to the podcast here:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4270

• Like 1

The 3 big ones to me would be the Betty and Barney Hill sighting/abduction, Roswell and Bentwaters.

A good analysis of the Hessdalen Lights by Brian Dunning for his Skeptoid podcast.

His theory - aircraft landing lights account for the vast majority of sightings.

Read the transcript or listen to the podcast here:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4270

The thing with that article is, it states the phenomena started in the 80's, but the lights were seen from the 40's, Again in the last paragraph of your link, it states: "By no means am I suggesting that aircraft landing lights are the cause of all the Hessdalen sightings"

But its possible some automated cameras may have snapped planes, sure.

wiki gives these descriptions of what they can be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessdalen_light#Possible_explanations

This is my favorite, but would not fall under "most documented":

The thing with that article is, it states the phenomena started in the 80's, but the lights were seen from the 40's, Again in the last paragraph of your link, it states: "By no means am I suggesting that aircraft landing lights are the cause of all the Hessdalen sightings"

But its possible some automated cameras may have snapped planes, sure.

wiki gives these descriptions of what they can be:

http://en.wikipedia....le_explanations

To me it seems that the significant sightings started in the early 80s and that prior sightings were few and far between. Car lights on the valley floor are also noted and could account for those. There's also a tendency in the para world to attempt to "deepen" a story by exaggerating earlier instances. Not saying that's the case here, but it does seem a fairly common occurrence.

And, yes, Dunning does state that he's not putting forth aircraft lights as the cause for every sighting, but there is a fairly strong correlation when it comes to timing and flight paths.

To me it seems that the significant sightings started in the early 80s and that prior sightings were few and far between. Car lights on the valley floor are also noted and could account for those. There's also a tendency in the para world to attempt to "deepen" a story by exaggerating earlier instances. Not saying that's the case here, but it does seem a fairly common occurrence.

And, yes, Dunning does state that he's not putting forth aircraft lights as the cause for every sighting, but there is a fairly strong correlation when it comes to timing and flight paths.

But no investigator will ignore flight paths and times, itd be such a schoolboy error. Many times the lights would be stationary for up to an hour... or at almost ground level, Dont forget the place received many tourists and ufo watchers, who also saw the lights.

This case is largely undebunkable, and I am a skeptic so I dont say that lightly. Bear in mind, Norway also has the northern lights... ie: Atmospheric phenomena

I forgot to add the Phoenix lights too.

first event, or the second?

Mine are my favorite but they're hardly documented at all.

I have to agree Sweetpumper ! My Sightings were the best I will ever see ! But Still Looking !

• 4 weeks later...

Well the Bentwaters case is well documented in both pop culture and by all sorts of investigations. Having said that just because a case is well documented does not make it proof of aliens or any more true than, we'll heck just pic a case. Bentwaters England 1980 has more left turns at the east gate than I can now count. Many of the so called witnesses are now just going on the speaking circuit and have considerably added to their storeys. **** they are even adding to their old note books that conveniently have the ability to add or remove pages.

Jim Penaston or penistn or whatever now claims to be the holder of a secret binary code that was downloaded into his brain when he touched the craft. A machine I might add that only He saw and the guy standing only an arm length away did not see. How can this be one might ask, we'll according to them it's because of some magical fairy dust or some crazy fog, yea we made a lot of fog like that behind our gym back in high school.

Then there are the other guys who have books out on the case and they speak of magically levitating aliens, a secret unit called defence secretariat 8 that used sodium pentathol on them to get to the truth. I could keep going but why write a book when these guys have written so many all contradicting each other.

Jim is a class act. When I say class I really mean Ass and when I say Act I'm saying Actor.

Thanks for the Hessdalen website, this is totally new for me. It seems to be very interesting!

• Like 1

If I had to pick the most important and influential UFO case of all time, it would be the Washington DC flap of 1952, but of course there have been many other important cases.

I would say that the 1977 Colares UFO cases in Brazil are among the best documented, as well as some of the strangest.

Long time no see, MacGuffin. Good to see you and good to see you still enlightening us with your knowledgebase.

My personal favorite goes back to the days when "UFO" and "Flying Saucer" were yet to be coined, back to the days when covering up UFO incidents was not yet a commonly known practice, nor was "doctoring" photos.

That would be "The Battle of Los Angles" at the onset of WWII for the US, where one million people in a blacked-out City of Los Angeles saw the US army fire 1,400 rounds of anti-aircraft fire at a classic saucer-shaped UFO that was caught in the crossfire of several bright search lights. What made it quite real was the fact that the military and the people of LA all thought the craft was some sort of exotic Japanese ship of war ready to wreak havoc on the city.

The first reports from the US military were most revealing :yes:

Here is the LA times front page photo the next morning:

http://rense.com/general67/batofla.htm

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

Well the Bentwaters case is well documented in both pop culture and by all sorts of investigations. Having said that just because a case is well documented does not make it proof of aliens or any more true than, we'll heck just pic a case. Bentwaters England 1980 has more left turns at the east gate than I can now count. Many of the so called witnesses are now just going on the speaking circuit and have considerably added to their storeys. **** they are even adding to their old note books that conveniently have the ability to add or remove pages.

Jim Penaston or penistn or whatever now claims to be the holder of a secret binary code that was downloaded into his brain when he touched the craft. A machine I might add that only He saw and the guy standing only an arm length away did not see. How can this be one might ask, we'll according to them it's because of some magical fairy dust or some crazy fog, yea we made a lot of fog like that behind our gym back in high school.

Then there are the other guys who have books out on the case and they speak of magically levitating aliens, a secret unit called defence secretariat 8 that used sodium pentathol on them to get to the truth. I could keep going but why write a book when these guys have written so many all contradicting each other.

Jim is a class act. When I say class I really mean Ass and when I say Act I'm saying Actor.

what guy was that? Penniston walked back seperately from the others, I assume you know this and must therefore be certain that the object was seen at closest proximity whilst the SPs were together, right? can you point me to where I can see that it is during this point the object was seen please.

thanks

Here are 3 good candidates. The corroborating evidence is contained in the video clip. The 3 cases were examined in detail by the famous UFO researcher James McDonald and re-visited by Bill Birnes and his team.

The RB47 incident (1957)

The Socorro UFO (1964)

The Heflin UFO (1965)

All very well documented and analysed. The debunkers debunked!

Proof of Extraterrestrials, The Lost UFO Archive [FULL VIDEO]