Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Taking a Bigfoot alive.

keninsc

Oh yeah, the video rights alone on that will be worth millions.

:yes:

Edited by keninsc

Bigfoot alive....

A large pit fall trap. ( Google it )

:no:

puntung.inpittrap.568.jpg

If it can be done with a Hippo, it can be done with a Bif..... :yes:

puntung.inpittrap.568.jpg

If it can be done with a Hippo, it can be done with a Bif..... :yes:

I'd probably put a trigger plate at the bottom, so when 500+ pound BF falls in, a reinforced lid would slide out over the pit. It is a lot harder to climb out if you can't grab the rim.

You guys are funny. Had you taken the time to read the previous replies you'd know why this is really not an option.

However, I'd love to see the video of you guys trying to dig a dead fall pit for a Bigfoot.

You guys are funny. Had you taken the time to read the previous replies you'd know why this is really not an option.

However, I'd love to see the video of you guys trying to dig a dead fall pit for a Bigfoot.

I'd probably do something wicked, like get the local Boy Scout troop to do it, calling it a "Forest Homeless Bomb Shelter", or some such. Or maybe get some illegals to dig it, saying that I'm planning to make an underground Grow Site and will cut them in on the profits.

Teasing.... Really.....

• Like 1

Okay, someone has to enlighten dull me. What do you use a pit trap for exactly? What do you then do with the 500+ lb animal in a pit?

Are they for killing and removing the animal piece by piece?

It doesn't look like much room for a man with the animal.

Once it's in it is obviously not getting out whole, unless it's an animal that could climb a ladder.

Ugly.

People talking about tranquillizers and other sedative based ideas, they wont work. Things like that need to be carefully dosed for the person based on a number of things; size, weight, medical conditions etc, If they don't, the person could very easily die. Tranquillizers like other sedatives work by suppressing functions of the brain, suppress the brain too much and bam, you're dead. And in a chase the police don't have time to ask the criminal to stop so they can assess him and mix up the dose needed.

Because people thought tranquillizers were cool and harmless, this happened

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis#Chemical_attack

same idea as a tranquillizer gun but in gas form.

Shooting the guy in the leg is safer than a random tranquillizer mix.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/anesthesia4.htm

this also highlights a few factors such as drugs and alcohol, and heart rate. If this criminal is or isn't a drug user, or alcoholic, you wont know when preparing the anaesthetic. Also, I doubt the guy would be calm and relaxed when being chased by guys with guns.

And even worse is we know nothing about bigfoot anatomy, so the tranquillizer you use is just stab and miss, which could turn into hit and kill.

Your best bet is a hole in the ground, stick mesh over it covered in whatever covers the rest of the ground and a pile of chocolate. It'll be trapped and you can drop some net on it.

Better yet, leave the damned thing alone.

Also, given chimps-which are significantly shorter and smaller than people- are four or more times stronger than people their own age, imagine an ape that's bigger than you. Four guys holding it down? No problem. It'll swing them round by the chains and maybe do a few skips with it's new skipping rope. Not to mention, if you had enough people to match and overpower it, it could just pluck you up one by one. Unless, of course, you can stop it using those thumbs and fingers, cuffs keep the wrists together but don't stop you grabbing things.

So, seriously, leave it alone. You'll be happier and more alive in doing so.

Okay, someone has to enlighten dull me. What do you use a pit trap for exactly? What do you then do with the 500+ lb animal in a pit?

Are they for killing and removing the animal piece by piece?

It doesn't look like much room for a man with the animal.

Once it's in it is obviously not getting out whole, unless it's an animal that could climb a ladder.

Ugly.

Personally, I would not be too worried about BFs health condition. A corpse is as good as a live one as Science's Proof.

I only comment that if I did go the pit trap way, I'd make a lid for it. Like I posted earlier, my main preference would be a counterweight powered net trap.

I suppose if you did dig a pit, and you did manage to catch a BF, the thing would be to somehow immobilize it, maybe with tranquillizers, maybe with ether, maybe with liquor, maybe with nets, maybe with hardening riot foam... lots of things you could try.

Personally, I would not be too worried about BFs health condition. A corpse is as good as a live one as Science's Proof.

I only comment that if I did go the pit trap way, I'd make a lid for it. Like I posted earlier, my main preference would be a counterweight powered net trap.

I suppose if you did dig a pit, and you did manage to catch a BF, the thing would be to somehow immobilize it, maybe with tranquillizers, maybe with ether, maybe with liquor, maybe with nets, maybe with hardening riot foam... lots of things you could try.

I wasn't referring to bigfoot. I had never seen a pit trap and wondered what they are used for when used on known animals. Like the hippo. All I could think of is removing the animal by parts. But it looked too small to even accomplish that.

There are some things I refuse to Google (usually child or animal related). So as not to be offered ideas I can't imagine or see horrible images. :no:

Though I agree as long as he couldn't climb out, you could catch yourself a Foot (D or A) that way.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Ok, as a rule of thunb, when I was taking survival training in a Marine Corps, they told us that dead fall traps are not the best way to go because in order for it to be effective you have to dig a whole at least twice the depth as the animal you're attempting to capture in order to be sure they can't escape. Unless you line the bottom with punji stakes in order to kill or injure it when it falls in. A Bigfoot is supposed to be between 6 and 9 feet tall......taller by some accounts and I'll be in an area where the soil isn't just loose packed sand. More likely hard packed clay and lots of rocks. Then after you dig the hole you have to do something with the dirt that came out of the hole so the area still looks as it did without disturbance. I'm thinking now I need digging equipment and a bloody contruction crew of men who'll be p***ing all over the place, leaving their scent and making the devil's own noise.

I just don't think that will work at all.

Capturing methods would depend on your resources and location and if you know where to find said creatures...among other things.

Ok, as a rule of thunb, when I was taking survival training in a Marine Corps, they told us that dead fall traps are not the best way to go because in order for it to be effective you have to dig a whole at least twice the depth as the animal you're attempting to capture in order to be sure they can't escape. Unless you line the bottom with punji stakes in order to kill or injure it when it falls in. A Bigfoot is supposed to be between 6 and 9 feet tall......taller by some accounts and I'll be in an area where the soil isn't just loose packed sand. More likely hard packed clay and lots of rocks. Then after you dig the hole you have to do something with the dirt that came out of the hole so the area still looks as it did without disturbance. I'm thinking now I need digging equipment and a bloody contruction crew of men who'll be p***ing all over the place, leaving their scent and making the devil's own noise.

I just don't think that will work at all.

It could be made to work, but the effort would be Tremendous. Most BF hunters out "Squatching" aren't going to put a hundreth of that much effort into a trap.

It could be made to work, but the effort would be Tremendous. Most BF hunters out "Squatching" aren't going to put a hundreth of that much effort into a trap.

But they will put 1,000 x the effort into a hoax :)

Yeah, there is that, and if you consider that Squatches are supposed to be really intelligent......at least allegedly then the whole thing seems a wasted effort really. That's not to say I couldn't rig a snare using a high strength wire rope and possibly incorporate a one way slip device. One that slips up and cinches quickly and easily but won't loosen unless you release a catch that could be made to prevent it being loosen by a primate. Secure the other end to a large tree and wait and see if you have any luck.

Just sort of thinking out loud here.

Yeah, but a 1000x the effort in a hoax doesn't equal ten shovels full of digging. Just a few key strokes and a little fakery and you're there.

Maybe Sarah could catch him alive?

palinkillsbigfoot.jpg

I think the snare thing would work. I was thinking about a bear trap, but stronger when I found the pit idea....Strong snare that would not release.......Or, would Bif chew his foot off?

Edited by Sakari

I'm not a huge fan of bear traps really and there are laws governing them and their use, not to mention that if we do a little extrapolation of semi-factual information then you have to consider the following. Bigfoots have big foots, bigger supposedly than grizzly bear by a factor of two as a minimum. They don't make a standard bear trap that freaking large and the old "clam shell" designs with teeth are illegal just about every where.........and I simply would not consider one of those things for the shear inhumanity of the device. Dr. Mengele would probably be ok with it but I have a bit too much conscious for that.

I was hiking up in Alaska once and did happen across grizzly tracks and I don't mind telling you those were enough to send my sphincter into knots, so wounding a Bigfoot then trying to take him alive just left a pucker mark in my chair.

I'm not a huge fan of bear traps really and there are laws governing them and their use, not to mention that if we do a little extrapolation of semi-factual information then you have to consider the following. Bigfoots have big foots, bigger supposedly than grizzly bear by a factor of two as a minimum. They don't make a standard bear trap that freaking large and the old "clam shell" designs with teeth are illegal just about every where.........and I simply would not consider one of those things for the shear inhumanity of the device. Dr. Mengele would probably be ok with it but I have a bit too much conscious for that.

I was hiking up in Alaska once and did happen across grizzly tracks and I don't mind telling you those were enough to send my sphincter into knots, so wounding a Bigfoot then trying to take him alive just left a pucker mark in my chair.

I have all ways hated trapping. It is very in humane, and just wrong. That is why I went with the pit idea. Although, the noose idea sounds good. But, wouldn't a noose tear through a animals skin trying to get out?

It can, but that's a function of how violent the captured animal becomes once the trap has him. The biggest issue is blood circulation which is why when you set a trap you have to check it frequently and yes there is a possibility of the trapped animal chewing off a limb as well to consider. There isn't a good way to ensure 100% that you'll not make something like a Bigfoot a cripple, the looped snare is probably the best possibility. Now if one is willing to make a couple of assumptions you could make a stop so the snare proper doesn't cinch but so tight, but I have no idea what the ankle size of a Bigfoot would be.

I just think that advocating the shoot of a Bigfoot outright should only be undertaken when you've at least considered the possibility of a live capture. It's a Karma thing with me, and after thinking about it a bit and contemplating the deeper and ethical sides I thought I should at least give is some serious consideration. Goodness knows I've done enough killing in my life so getting input on something other than a lethal approach is a good thing I think.

Of course, there is still the issue of getting a Bigfoot to get itself caught to begin with and then getting it in a state for transport to a scientific facility......preferably without getting my own arms and legs ripped off or any members of any team I might be part of as well. That's pretty negative too.

It can, but that's a function of how violent the captured animal becomes once the trap has him. The biggest issue is blood circulation which is why when you set a trap you have to check it frequently and yes there is a possibility of the trapped animal chewing off a limb as well to consider. There isn't a good way to ensure 100% that you'll not make something like a Bigfoot a cripple, the looped snare is probably the best possibility. Now if one is willing to make a couple of assumptions you could make a stop so the snare proper doesn't cinch but so tight, but I have no idea what the ankle size of a Bigfoot would be.

I just think that advocating the shoot of a Bigfoot outright should only be undertaken when you've at least considered the possibility of a live capture. It's a Karma thing with me, and after thinking about it a bit and contemplating the deeper and ethical sides I thought I should at least give is some serious consideration. Goodness knows I've done enough killing in my life so getting input on something other than a lethal approach is a good thing I think.

Of course, there is still the issue of getting a Bigfoot to get itself caught to begin with and then getting it in a state for transport to a scientific facility......preferably without getting my own arms and legs ripped off or any members of any team I might be part of as well. That's pretty negative too.

I agree. I am a " ex-Hunter ", and I doubt I would be able to shoot one. ( although I "know" they do not exist )

I would think if one were trapped, just a few phone calls would get the proper people there to take over on the capture.

911 would be my first call.

But they will put 1,000 x the effort into a hoax :)

As long as it is mostly bluster and bragging and nothing to do with actual physical activity.

Yeah, there is that, and if you consider that Squatches are supposed to be really intelligent......at least allegedly then the whole thing seems a wasted effort really. That's not to say I couldn't rig a snare using a high strength wire rope and possibly incorporate a one way slip device. One that slips up and cinches quickly and easily but won't loosen unless you release a catch that could be made to prevent it being loosen by a primate. Secure the other end to a large tree and wait and see if you have any luck.

Just sort of thinking out loud here.

Yeah! Maybe something that requires a tool to loosen. Something like a key, that can't be jimmyed open with a stick or rock.