Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crocodile's head discovered on beach

Still Waters

A decapitated crocodile lies washed up on a South African beach, leaving locals speculating about the identity of the killer.

The gruesome scene was photographed and videoed by Neale and Brigitte Cary-Smith and has quickly become an internet hit, with people wondering how the animal met its end.

http://www.dailymail...uth-Africa.html

I have a great fear and respect of sharks, and I would never underestimate one. However, im highly familiar with reptiles and I just cant see a shark...even a great white...being able to bite through the back hide of a croc that size with such a clean looking "cut". I know great whites have tremendous bite pressure..but its just seems very odd to me the suspect is a shark as of right now. Thanks so much for the post!

• Like 1

I have a great fear and respect of sharks, and I would never underestimate one. However, im highly familiar with reptiles and I just cant see a shark...even a great white...being able to bite through the back hide of a croc that size with such a clean looking "cut". I know great whites have tremendous bite pressure..but its just seems very odd to me the suspect is a shark as of right now. Thanks so much for the post!

Yeah I thought the cut looked a little too clean at first. I doubt a shark could chomp a crocodiles head off in one go, but when they do that sawing action they could possibly bite though.

Edited by DKO

It is quite possible that it could have been a great white shark. I've been to St. Lucia on several occasions and I know that the crocodiles frequently swims into the see. It has also been found that sharks will swim up the river in high tides. What a spectacular find!

I must say, I have always wondered which of these two great predators would win if they were to engage in a battle. Although the crocodiles frequently swims out to sea, I am still not a 100% positive that it was a great white.

I must say, I have always wondered which of these two great predators would win if they were to engage in a battle. Although the crocodiles frequently swims out to sea, I am still not a 100% positive that it was a great white.

Here's another Shark Vs Croc moment.

Poachers, clearly.

A Great White's jaw marks would be visible on the flesh wound and even though the article is suspiciously hiding the wound to pay attention to the head, I don't see anything that resembles a clean Great White bite. The edge of the severed head in the top photo looks like it was caused by someone with a sharp pair of shears.

Methinks someone at the Daily Mail, the "Daily Mail Reporter" as he's called in the article, sees different things come out of the sea and then rushes to the same judgement about them: "It's a Great White!"