Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How To Help An Empath?

emberdawn

How do you help an empath that was awakened with emotional pain and fear ?

Edited by Saru
Edited by poster's request

An empath is someone who can feel the emotions of others and instantly or near instantly know what exactly they are feeling in that moment of time. They can also see the personalities of any they look upon given only a look at the front of their face (it being covered to any extent doesn't change anything). There are other things that come with being an empath, but beyond these baseline abilities everything else comes with the growth and experiences affecting that empath personally.

Anyway, onto the question. Well, honestly that may mostly depend on the individual, being an empath doesn't define what their actions and reactions will be, only what they will see and feel in response. The only thing special I could speak on related to the empath thing is helping to make sure the emotions around them don't overwhelm them. If it does, it can push out and suck out what they feel for themselves (speaking from personal experience). Honestly, you'd have this problem either way, but it is the most pressing problem. Don't let the emotions all around them overwhelm them, don't let them become empty, able to feel what others are feeling while having their own emotions become part of the distant background.

As to the beatings and other problems, get some help there. Nobody should be beaten, and I imagine the devastating effects it has on others would be just as devastating to an empath, maybe even a bit dangerous to others considering what I've seen of what one empath was able to do.

• Like 2

Thank you Shadowx for explaining what an empath is. This person at one time was recieving meds and counseling and got better in the mood, attitude, and fits of anger lessened. But stopped the meds and treatment. I was looking for anyone who had some experience or information on how to help with this, I have no Idea how to help this person.

I avoid mind altering drugs like the plague, so I have no idea how that might affect his view point, I also don't know what exactly his path has taken. Still, I'll try to help where I can. Also, just to note, I imagine the anger is from his background, probably has nothing to do with his being an empath.

Just ask and I'll try to answer, just know his abilities probably grew in a different direction than mine.

Negetivity constantly pouring in and being sent right back out. Possibly unable to control it. Is there anyway to help someone who can't seem to understand that not every emotion felt is theirs? Is there something that could help block this stuff and give him some relief?

Edited by emberdawn

Huh, didn't expect that one I admit. Though I guess with his background I could see that, alright. Since he can't tell what's coming into him and what's coming out of him that probably means he hasn't mastered being able to sense even the pressure of energies around him. The best solution I could offer for you in this case would be meditation, but not to use it the normal way most people seem to use it. Most people go about using meditation to begin sensing outward and opening themselves to the spiritual world, what I use it for and what I suggest for him is to secure the borders of your body and sense the energy flow within yourself.

Get him to meditate and focus on the boundaries of his body and mind, to figure out what energy is his. In this case I'd actually suggest being around when he does this to allow him to feel your emotions coming into him to compare to his own. To solve the problem you propose you need him to become aware of the feel of his own energy in his emotions and thoughts, once he has that he'll be able to discern what's him and what's not. At least, that's the plan, I'll admit that I sort of figured this out by myself, but I didn't have drugs and such affecting my perception so *shrugs*

How do you help an empath that was awakened with emotional pain and fear ?

I suggest getting a restraining order or seeking shelter at a women's center.

I would not ignore these circumstances. No matter what your age, you are encouraged to find a way to feel safe.

Best Wishes!!

John

• Like 1

I am an empath among other things. Being an empath is a blessing and if not well controlled a curse. I have always been able to feel the emotions of others which never bothered me until one recent expirence. My bestie was going through a rough time feeling useless horrible susidal almost. I sat down with her and gave her advice just the normal everything will be ok etc. After we left each other I noticed my mood was becoming as dark as my besties was earlier. I was feeling useless and like life wasnt worth living only I couldnt figure out why, I had been feeling just fine lately. Then it hit me. I was feeling exactly like my friend had been feeling earlier. Being a skepticcal believer as I am, at first I ignored it. The next day I noticed my mood getting worse so I did what I always do I absorbed knowlege (studied) and as it turned out not only can I feel the emotions of other I can also absorb them. You may think I'm crazy I did. But when I called my bestie the day after I talked to her she was almost irritatingly chipper she said " your talk must have worked cuz I woke up this morning feeling better than Ihave in months." The logical conclusion I had not only shared but absorbed her emotion and now I was the one feeling blue, only I had no reason or idea how to stop it. But once again I did what I always do when confused or fearful I absorbed more knowlege.

Heres what I found that worked for me via wiccan author Scott Cunningham.

Have your friend lays down or sit or whatever position they can be relaxed in begin by feeling the emotion not like it in you but as if you were watching the emotion on a screen etc then feel it let your body absorb it now while you feel the emotion inside yourself imagine a hole opening at the base of your spine when you can see and maybe even feel the hole then start sending the emotion toward it out of the hole and into the earth beneath you. This may be perfect the first time or it make take more than one try. 2 tips from me while your viewing the emotion if it seems like too much then split it into balls or i use clouds of emotion you can even assign colors to represent the emotion. Do it one cloud or ball at a time.

I feel your friends pain and the best advice I can give any empath is when your gift scares you kill the fear with knowlege the more you know about it the easier it is to control.

Alot of people view empathy as one of the weaker gifts but I have learned through expirence that it is probably the greatest because it can help people physically. I took my besties pain from her and got rid of it. the fact that I had to feel it first is now an afterthought.

Learn and Practice. Knowlege kills fear.

The logical conclusion I had not only shared but absorbed her emotion and now I was the one feeling blue, only I had no reason or idea how to stop it. But once again I did what I always do when confused or fearful I absorbed more knowlege.

I'm sorry to stop you on one point, but taking an emotion that originated from that person permanantly is impossible. It's not the fact that I think you're lying or anything, I can see the things you mentioned working in some contexts, it's just to still have a link so strong as to keep your friend's emotions coming into you over such a distance wouldn't be able to be done that way. It would have to be a constant link to, if the emotion was her's, don't doubt that.

What it means then might be a bit more ominus, but reassuring. That deppression that was attacking her, and then attacking you, was not her emotions. Something was attacking her. Still, it is kind of epic that being an empath means you could take an attack like that away from your friend :)

For the emotion thing, yeah I could see doing it the way you say would work. Still, if he/she doesn't figure out what emotions are actually her's there would be no guard in keeping the problem away permanantly. I'd still suggest going through the trouble of identifying their energy if they want to be able to face a problem like that from a more secure position.

I am an empath among other things. Being an empath is a blessing and if not well controlled a curse. I have always been able to feel the emotions of others which never bothered me until one recent expirence. My bestie was going through a rough time feeling useless horrible susidal almost. I sat down with her and gave her advice just the normal everything will be ok etc. After we left each other I noticed my mood was becoming as dark as my besties was earlier. I was feeling useless and like life wasnt worth living only I couldnt figure out why, I had been feeling just fine lately. Then it hit me. I was feeling exactly like my friend had been feeling earlier. Being a skepticcal believer as I am, at first I ignored it. The next day I noticed my mood getting worse so I did what I always do I absorbed knowlege (studied) and as it turned out not only can I feel the emotions of other I can also absorb them. You may think I'm crazy I did. But when I called my bestie the day after I talked to her she was almost irritatingly chipper she said " your talk must have worked cuz I woke up this morning feeling better than Ihave in months." The logical conclusion I had not only shared but absorbed her emotion and now I was the one feeling blue, only I had no reason or idea how to stop it. But once again I did what I always do when confused or fearful I absorbed more knowlege.

Heres what I found that worked for me via wiccan author Scott Cunningham.

Have your friend lays down or sit or whatever position they can be relaxed in begin by feeling the emotion not like it in you but as if you were watching the emotion on a screen etc then feel it let your body absorb it now while you feel the emotion inside yourself imagine a hole opening at the base of your spine when you can see and maybe even feel the hole then start sending the emotion toward it out of the hole and into the earth beneath you. This may be perfect the first time or it make take more than one try. 2 tips from me while your viewing the emotion if it seems like too much then split it into balls or i use clouds of emotion you can even assign colors to represent the emotion. Do it one cloud or ball at a time.

I feel your friends pain and the best advice I can give any empath is when your gift scares you kill the fear with knowlege the more you know about it the easier it is to control.

Alot of people view empathy as one of the weaker gifts but I have learned through expirence that it is probably the greatest because it can help people physically. I took my besties pain from her and got rid of it. the fact that I had to feel it first is now an afterthought.

Learn and Practice. Knowlege kills fear.

That is a wonderful gift the ability to remove anothers emotional pain. And I agree that knowledges is an important part of relieving the mind of fear. :)

I think its gift none can control when u walk by some one and u look with pitty or feel sorry for them and can feel pain that empathy. All humans have this gift just not all are intuned to this side of it or themselves. If more people were intuned to this gift then there would be less bad things happening in the world by looking at those effective and feeling that painthus proventing it from happning any more

• Like 1

Negetivity constantly pouring in and being sent right back out. Possibly unable to control it. Is there anyway to help someone who can't seem to understand that not every emotion felt is theirs? Is there something that could help block this stuff and give him some relief?

Empathy is a complex one. My empathy has been out of control lately so the topic comes at a good time. I've found the only way to cope with it is to use a similar method to what soulseeker laid out. The mechanics behind this sort of method is all about transmutation and grounding. So an understanding of energy is first required, understand energy and that emotions are a form of energy and that what you are seeking to do, is to purge and transmute the energies/emotions so that they are not held in your energy field.

If they remain held in you which is what happens to most empaths, then you may begin the process of processing the emotions as if they were your own. Again processing is another form of transmutation and healing, some of us are literally built to be energy transmuters or "balancers", i know for instance that i am.

However just because the ability is there to take on an "energy dump" (a term coined by energy workers) it doesn't mean that 1. you should personally be taking on peoples issues/emotions, because this in it self can be really problematic and I seriously don't know how any empath could cope with it or stay sane for that matter, if it was happening 24/7. Furthermore the energy dumps tend to happen on a more subconscious level and just like soulseeker said in her account, that her friend felt better and relieved of her issues/emotion, while soulseeker felt worse. People don't even realise when they have energy dumped on someone and that is why they feel better after spending time with a certain someone. The idea is to strike a balance, energy can still be transmutated, a person can still be helped to deal with their energy load, but it can be done in away that doesn't require you to hold onto it or process it as if it were your own.

The answer is to simply begin a strict practice of clearing your self after you have spent time with any person or place. Do it multiple times a day. Some people find blocking works well, i personally don't. Shielding and grounding come together as any good shield should be grounding you at the same time. You can google these things and devise something you feel works for you. But the clearing method is basically using the universal divine light/love energy to pass through you from crown to root/toe and flushing you out. Like a water fall rinsing your energy field out of anything which has got blocked or attached to you. There are ways to make this method more potent by practising this as a daily meditation, where you practice holding your connection to the centre of the galaxy core, while simultaneously grounding to the core of the earth. This brings you into the territory of energy work, reiki, yoga, tai chi, and meditation. Again it would be beneficial to find a practice which allows to you to work on and express your energy and connections daily. One meditation that works well for me is the violet flame meditation, i use it as a transmutation workout and it seems to be one of the few that helps to clear to the most deepest levels and pull me back to myself very quickly. Here is some info on how to do the violet flame here - http://www.wellbeingalignment.com/violet-flame-meditation.html

So at the end of the day this all comes back to energy, transmutation, grounding and healing. One day in the future when society and people become more energy aware and empathetic as a whole, we will begin to realise that we all have a responsibility in taking care of our energy fields and grounding, and then healing at that level and assisting others to heal, will become much more substantial and respected. But until such a time, we have to learn how to manage energy and our boundaries and that is not a bad thing.

Emberdawn i feel what may benefit you is to do a cord cutting between you and this person and reclaim your energy back. Cord cutting is not as scary as it sounds, it is a given that energetic cords form and attach between people, even people you don't know but have just spoken to at some point. The cords vary in size depending on what the relationship is and where the cord is located on your etheric/ energy body can influence other things too.

The purpose of the cords? like an internet - the cords exist as energy information highways between people, exchanging energy, and info on the subtle levels.Note not to be confused with soul connections or bonds which exist on the soul level and can not be interfered with. It's okay you can't mistakenly discord those ones as they exist on a higher level beyond the drama and ego of 3d physical level. The cords we are discussing today are merely the lower level subtle body energy cords, so just to make that distinction absolutely clear.

When relations between people are good they serve no harmful exchange. However when relations are bad, or you know people of a negative disposition, with dishonest/ ill intentions towards you/ or life in general, or in the case of an abusive/dysfunctional relationship, the cords can begin to serve major problems. This is because in any relation between 2 people, there is a receiving and transmitting level of energy, and these cords facilitate this 24/7 and keep all the old patterns-even dysfunctional ones and issues, zipping back and forth. In the case of an empath, this effect is even more heightened, and because most people are oblivious to the subtle/energetic level, empaths more often than not end up getting the raw end of the 'deal' and energy dumping. For example energy vamping, draining, emotions that don't belong to them, moods etc, empaths become the equivalent of the "international operator" for all their friends, family and associates who ping back and forth data/emotions/patterns millions of time per day. So it makes sense to cut the cords of those who are in a state of discord themselves or who no longer serve you to your highest good. It may seem a selfish thing to do, but it is not, you are not harming the person by doing this and you are not ignoring that the person has problems, but what you are doing is making sure you protect your sanity, space and energy.

In metaphysics and in energy healing circles, Cutting cords therefore is seen as a healthy thing to do, and part of the maintenance needed to keep yourself clear and holding your own space. It is something I personally practice on a regular basis as does my empathetic and aware friends. When doing the daily clearing as described earlier in this post, you can include it in your intention to discord any cords or 'ego hooks' from your energy field or consciousness that are not to your highest good.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 1

Interesting, I know very little about the bonds you're talking about but it makes sense. Would love to learn more if you don't mind pming me :)

As to the emotions thing, the only thing I can add is if you're aware enough to know the difference between your internal emotions (from your own source of emotions) and external emotions (not your emotions) you can banish them. For me, since the false emotions I deal with come from demons, I simply banish any I come across. If it's not yours it's not connected to you, and you can simply get rid of it.

Edited by shadowx

Empathy is a complex one. My empathy has been out of control lately so the topic comes at a good time. I've found the only way to cope with it is to use a similar method to what soulseeker laid out. The mechanics behind this sort of method is all about transmutation and grounding. So an understanding of energy is first required, understand energy and that emotions are a form of energy and that what you are seeking to do, is to purge and transmute the energies/emotions so that they are not held in your energy field.

If they remain held in you which is what happens to most empaths, then you may begin the process of processing the emotions as if they were your own. Again processing is another form of transmutation and healing, some of us are literally built to be energy transmuters or "balancers", i know for instance that i am

However just because the ability is there to take on an "energy dump" (a term coined by energy workers) it doesn't mean that 1. you should personally be taking on peoples issues/emotions, because this in it self can be really problematic and I seriously don't know how any empath could cope with it or stay sane for that matter, if it was happening 24/7. Furthermore the energy dumps tend to happen on a more subconscious level and just like soulseeker said in her account, that her friend felt better and relieved of her issues/emotion, while soulseeker felt worse. People don't even realise when they have energy dumped on someone and that is why they feel better after spending time with a certain someone. The idea is to strike a balance, energy can still be transmutated, a person can still be helped to deal with their energy load, but it can be done in away that doesn't require you to hold onto it or process it as if it were your own.

The answer is to simply begin a strict practice of clearing your self after you have spent time with any person or place. Do it multiple times a day. Some people find blocking works well, i personally don't. Shielding and grounding come together as any good shield should be grounding you at the same time. You can google these things and devise something you feel works for you. But the clearing method is basically using the universal divine light/love energy to pass through you from crown to root/toe and flushing you out. Like a water fall rinsing your energy field out of anything which has got blocked or attached to you. There are ways to make this method more potent by practising this as a daily meditation, where you practice holding your connection to the centre of the galaxy core, while simultaneously grounding to the core of the earth. This brings you into the territory of energy work, reiki, yoga, tai chi, and meditation. Again it would be beneficial to find a practice which allows to you to work on and express your energy and connections daily. One meditation that works well for me is the violet flame meditation, i use it as a transmutation workout and it seems to be one of the few that helps to clear to the most deepest levels and pull me back to myself very quickly. Here is some info on how to do the violet flame here - http://www.wellbeingalignment.com/violet-flame-meditation.html

So at the end of the day this all comes back to energy, transmutation, grounding and healing. One day in the future when society and people become more energy aware and empathetic as a whole, we will begin to realise that we all have a responsibility in taking care of our energy fields and grounding, and then healing at that level and assisting others to heal, will become much more substantial and respected. But until such a time, we have to learn how to manage energy and our boundaries and that is not a bad thing.

Emberdawn i feel what may benefit you is to do a cord cutting between you and this person and reclaim your energy back. Cord cutting is not as scary as it sounds, it is a given that energetic cords form and attach between people, even people you don't know but have just spoken to at some point. The cords vary in size depending on what the relationship is and where the cord is located on your etheric/ energy body can influence other things too.

The purpose of the cords? like an internet - the cords exist as energy information highways between people, exchanging energy, and info on the subtle levels.Note not to be confused with soul connections or bonds which exist on the soul level and can not be interfered with. It's okay you can't mistakenly discord those ones as they exist on a higher level beyond the drama and ego of 3d physical level. The cords we are discussing today are merely the lower level subtle body energy cords, so just to make that distinction absolutely clear.

When relations between people are good they serve no harmful exchange. However when relations are bad, or you know people of a negative disposition, with dishonest/ ill intentions towards you/ or life in general, or in the case of an abusive/dysfunctional relationship, the cords can begin to serve major problems. This is because in any relation between 2 people, there is a receiving and transmitting level of energy, and these cords facilitate this 24/7 and keep all the old patterns-even dysfunctional ones and issues, zipping back and forth. In the case of an empath, this effect is even more heightened, and because most people are oblivious to the subtle/energetic level, empaths more often than not end up getting the raw end of the 'deal' and energy dumping. For example energy vamping, draining, emotions that don't belong to them, moods etc, empaths become the equivalent of the "international operator" for all their friends, family and associates who ping back and forth data/emotions/patterns millions of time per day. So it makes sense to cut the cords of those who are in a state of discord themselves or who no longer serve you to your highest good. It may seem a selfish thing to do, but it is not, you are not harming the person by doing this and you are not ignoring that the person has problems, but what you are doing is making sure you protect your sanity, space and energy.

In metaphysics and in energy healing circles, Cutting cords therefore is seen as a healthy thing to do, and part of the maintenance needed to keep yourself clear and holding your own space. It is something I personally practice on a regular basis as does my empathetic and aware friends. When doing the daily clearing as described earlier in this post, you can include it in your intention to discord any cords or 'ego hooks' from your energy field or consciousness that are not to your highest good.

I have used the cord cutting. I cut everything but a very thick cord. It looked important so I left it alone. I will do this more often.

I agree with what you say. This is the last effort I make on his behalf. He knows about this stuff but ignores it and forgets it. I was just hoping I could get him to remember and try.

Thank you everyone who posted I will try your suggestions.:D

I smudge myself and my house with white sage to cleanse any negativity. Cedar or sandalwood incense can be used, as well. I've found a good way to not receive is to send. If I actively send white light or positive energy, or compassion, etc. to a person that seems to block me from receiving, and it has the added benefit of being proactive. There are also a lot of shielding techniques, i.e. imagine a yourself covered by a big, clear glass bell that prevents anything from coming in, or imagine yourself in a cocoon of light that does the same thing. I'm pretty sure if your google "psychic shields" you'll find more information. And one must always maintain one's physical safety, that's just common sense.

• Like 1

These all sound like much better ideas then walking around with a tinfoil hat or a large metal pot on you head. But not quite as funny.

These all sound like much better ideas then walking around with a tinfoil hat or a large metal pot on you head. But not quite as funny.

Post a picture if you try the metal pot thing, will you? Covering your crown chakra with a white cap might serve as a shield. Also, try closing down your crown chakra to about 3" in diameter; picture it as a round opening on the top of your head, and visualize it about 3" in diameter. Then let it get as wide as it wants, take a moment to visualize that and what it feels like, then shrink it down again. I would guess that this chakra is wide open, which creates access for things to come through. It's important to remember you DO have control over it, and to exercise that control. It's very easy to do, usually taking no longer than 5 minutes. Then just keep checking it throughout the day, and if it's popped back open, shrink it down. Eventually you'll have trained it to stay small and you can open it when you choose to.

Lol! I have yet to be so bold. But if I do I'll send it to you first.

I usually use this to relieve headaches, I'll try it for this.

EmberDawn, just checking in with you to see how things are going. Have things calmed down any for you?

This may not help but sharing a part of my story could potentially help someone else and I could use the advise. I have just recently learned that all of the crying at movies, and the life stories that I hear while in the checkout lane are all signs of my empathetic abilities. Now when I say life stories at a check out, I can tell you that I mentally prepare to go to the grocery store, I make little eye contact and I break that contact before words are exchanged. I have heard some things that most therapists would blush at, yet here are complete strangers telling me their trials and tribulations.

Yet I have a few other gifts that I have been struggling to comprehend.

A little background: Ever since I was a child I have had premonition dreams, I can remember everything from these prophetic dreams. I witnessed my wedding several years before I met the man I would marry, and have had more and more dreams that have as you would say come true. Let me preface by saying; not all dreams come in order to the event actually happen. I have had several come to fruition and many more I can recall that have not happened at the time of writing.

This is not where these gifts stop, there is also the deja vue's that have also inundated my life since my time a young child. I have always been drawn to the paranormal and write a column for the same. Due to experiences I have had since childhood, clairaudience when I was young, and the proverbial shadow out of the corner of the eye throughout my adult life.

Yet through the years of all of these "gifts" I have always been perplexed as to what I can do to strengthen my abilities. Some of the suggestions have been to center myself, the purple flame meditation has also been suggested, yet when I attempt these practices I am blocked.

The inability to concentrate on myself, the overwhelming urge that other items in my life take over the centering process and drown out the silence that I am seeking. As if something else is controlling what I should be thinking, and preventing me from getting the emotions off of me.

So any other help would be greatly appreciated