Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A World War Wild Man

Still Waters

Across what used to be Soviet Central Asia, as far west as what are parts of Europe, and as far east as Mongolia, reports have long proliferated of hairy creatures known as Almas or Almasty that seem to be far more akin to men than they do apes; although they reputedly demonstrate clear and undeniable characteristics of both.

Opinion is acutely divided upon what these beasts are, or may be. It is deeply tempting to theorize that they may be surviving pockets of our closest relative - the Neanderthals - who supposedly died out in the later part of the Pleistocene epoch, more familiarly known as the Ice Age.

http://www.mania.com...cle_136558.html

Wow is a awesome story. Could have been anything but not a Neandertal. Would had be impossible for them to live this long. Inbreeding would have wiped then out.

Aren't Almas in the same category as Bigfoot and the Yeti? As in, a cryptid that hasn't been proven? So why the speculation on what it could be when there's barely (to no) proof of them?

• Like 2

I suspect that charging an armed group of Russians in 1944 would have been far more likely to produce a dead critter than panicked Russians.

• Like 3

Aren't Almas in the same category as Bigfoot and the Yeti? As in, a cryptid that hasn't been proven? So why the speculation on what it could be when there's barely (to no) proof of them?

That is why this thread is in this section of the Forum...

Alma's have been reported for a thousand years (and more) across Russia and Mongolia.

Another similar, plus more Alma info

"In 1925, as Russian Communists fought to purge the last "White Russians" from the land, General Mikhail Topil'skiy thought he had cornered a faction of rebels in a virtually uninhabited section of the rugged Pamir Mountains. The Reds approached a cave where they believed the Whites were holed up. Suddenly, there was a screech and a commotion from within the cave and a hairy figure ran out, either in a panic or a rage. The soldiers instantly shot the strange figure dead.

Topil'skiy studied the body of the odd individual and was shocked to discover that it was not even a man, much less a rebel soldier. The alma was 5 and a half feet tall and covered with greyish-brown hair except for the face, hands and feet. Its skin was dark and rough and its chest was massively built. As far as facial features went, the alma had a bony brow ridge, a sloping forehead, and a flat, puggish nose. The General was struck just as much by the wildman's humanity as his apishness."

http://open.salon.co...owmen_of_russia

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

That is why this thread is in this section of the Forum...

Alma's have been reported for a thousand years (and more) across Russia and Mongolia.

Many, many cryptids have been reported many thousands of times all over the globe - yet no irrefutable evidence for ANY of their existences has ever surfaced. I agree your post belongs in this section and second the analysis that its more than likely make believe regardless of who reports them or how many times.

Inbreeding doesn't necessarily result in extinction. Look at the Hutterites.

Welcome to UM !!! :yes:

Indeed, without some form of "in-breeding" the begining human species could not have propagated, in my mind.

Of course, I have ZERO proof of this.

well, Neanderthal man was hiding underground while we breed with god's children, so it makes sence that they are still alive, i expect a weird cult involved in protecting them if not breeding with them, thier gene must be strong to persevere.

well, Neanderthal man was hiding underground while we breed with god's children, so it makes sence that they are still alive, i expect a weird cult involved in protecting them if not breeding with them, thier gene must be strong to persevere.

Many, many cryptids have been reported many thousands of times all over the globe - yet no irrefutable evidence for ANY of their existences has ever surfaced. I agree your post belongs in this section and second the analysis that its more than likely make believe regardless of who reports them or how many times.

The thing that I want to know is how observed these areas are. Because I'm split-

On the one hand I can't get my head around the idea that a whole population of hominids could go undetected for so long in this modern world of air and satellite surveillance...

because unless they are intelligent they'd come up against humans when resources are sparse, as other wild animals do. But if they ARE intelligent enough to understand humans, well then you'd expect to see a bunch of other signs of their existence- tools, shelters, whatever.

But on the other hand I think, is anyone actually paying the kind of attention to these remote areas that would alert the general populace to a small population of shy hominids? Unless someone is specifically going over satellite data or aerial photography looking for these small signs, then it might be just like the gorilla again- the gorilla was a 'huge hairy ape man' myth for centuries in the west and it wasn't until the 20th century that someone 'proved' it was true.

On balance though, my impression is that the amount of human activity over the last 100 years in even remote places would probably have revealed a population like that. With the gorilla, all it took was for explorers to spend some time in the jungle and they were found - the gorilla was 'discovered' at the point someone decided to bring back a sample.

Edited by ad hoc

Another similar, plus more Alma info

"In 1925, as Russian Communists fought to purge the last "White Russians" from the land, General Mikhail Topil'skiy thought he had cornered a faction of rebels in a virtually uninhabited section of the rugged Pamir Mountains. The Reds approached a cave where they believed the Whites were holed up. Suddenly, there was a screech and a commotion from within the cave and a hairy figure ran out, either in a panic or a rage. The soldiers instantly shot the strange figure dead.

Topil'skiy studied the body of the odd individual and was shocked to discover that it was not even a man, much less a rebel soldier. The alma was 5 and a half feet tall and covered with greyish-brown hair except for the face, hands and feet. Its skin was dark and rough and its chest was massively built. As far as facial features went, the alma had a bony brow ridge, a sloping forehead, and a flat, puggish nose. The General was struck just as much by the wildman's humanity as his apishness."

http://open.salon.co...owmen_of_russia

I've heard this story before and the creature sounded like an Neanderthal to me. I wonder if there could be some around.

But splitting hairs is so much fun I just couldn't let this one go.

Really? Since when was Neaderthal Man considered a cryptid? If my memory serves me correctly there is ample fossil evidence to back up it's existence. So it's not a cryptid any more than the ceolachanth is or ever was a cryptid. Correct?

And for pete's sake don't say there have never been any fossils of Neaderthal man found in Siberia. Just a gentle warning.

Other than that, carry on ol pal.... :lol:

Apparently evidence of Neanderthals has been found as far north as the Altai Mountains, which is by Lake Baikal and Mongolia and counts as Cental/Southern Siberia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altai_Mountains

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/10/070930-neanderthals.html

070930-neanderthals_big.jpg

The research looked at a type of genetic material known as mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). Sites where Neandertal mtDNA was previously found are shown with open circles, while two new sites found to contain such mtDNA are depicted with black circles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/science/02nean.html?_r=0

He and colleagues have now identified Neanderthal mitochondrial DNA in bones at two new sites, they say in an article published electronically in Nature this week. One is Teshik Tash, in Uzbekistan, some 750 miles east of the Caspian Sea and, until now, the easternmost known limit of Neanderthal territory. The other bones are from the Okladnikov cave in the Altai mountains, some 1,250 miles farther east.

This huge extension of the Neanderthal’s known range puts them well into southern Siberia.

honestly i do believe it and believe there are members of long time species in the planet earth still the earth is full of surprises and mysteries and everything else.it would be awsome if i could join you guys next time lol but really i would though.all the goods stuff happens in Russia i wish i was there already Go Russia!

Probably just someone with some kind of genetic deformity forced to live away from society. I saw a NatGeo program where they finally were able to do a good analysis of Zena and Kwit, the famous mother and son who were thought to be Almas, and they were NOT Neandertal. However, the scientists did note that they were odd looking. Gigantism, maybe?

But splitting hairs is so much fun I just couldn't let this one go.

Really? Since when was Neaderthal Man considered a cryptid? If my memory serves me correctly there is ample fossil evidence to back up it's existence. So it's not a cryptid any more than the ceolachanth is or ever was a cryptid. Correct?

And for pete's sake don't say there have never been any fossils of Neaderthal man found in Siberia. Just a gentle warning.

Other than that, carry on ol pal.... :lol:

Sorry for not being clearer. I wasn't going on the assumption that these critters were Neanderthals....its only speculation that they are in the first place. To me, they get lumped in with Yetis, Bigfoot, etc...Of which there is no physical evidence.

I agree that for Neanderthals there is much physical evidence. Those guys really existed, and left behind all the things that real animals do.

Sorry I wasn't more precise. And thanks for bringing it to my attention, pal.

Well the article speculates that maybe the Almas are a surviving pocket of Neanderthals. Yeah, that ain't to likely either.

One thing that I'm 100% certain of and will NEVER have my mind changed is that there are NO Bigfoots or Yeti's or "Squatches" like the guys on 'Finding Bigfoot' call them (on that note, isn't it funny on that show that no matter where those guys look for "Squatches", whether it's the suburbs of a big city to the National Forest of Minnesota, they ALWAYS "prove" that there are Bigfoots in the area, without actually any proof what so ever. I mean they have yet to go to a state that doesn't have a sizeable population of Bigfoots living there. I find it so funny that these grown men and women actually could believe in their BS research. I mean they have to know, right, that there isn't any Bigfoots because ONE, at least ONE would have been shot by a hunter or hit by a car or SOMETHING by now wouldn't they? They couldn't be that dense, right? It's just an act for a TV show, IMO because someone who spends that much time in the woods would have to know by now that there actaully aren't any. They'd just have to know by now.)

Here's a prediction or a bet you can make every year. Find a person who steadfastly believes in Bigfoot and bet them any amount of money you can get out of them and give the 100 to 1 odds that there will be no actaul physical proof this year that Bigfoot has finally been found. And that means a BODY, either alive or dead. Not this BS supposed DNA that they finally have "found" but an actuall dead or alive specimen. You will win EVERY YEAR, do you want to know why? BECAUSE THERE ARE NO BIGFOOTS!! Period, I'm sorry but they just don't exist. Anyone want to make that bet with me? I'll give you 200 to 1 odds? $100 bet anyone?

• 2 months later...

Neanderthals were no animals rather an offshoot of our human family tree. As humans we do carry some of the neanderthal genes so at one time our species intermingled.By referring to them as animals we have to remember that in the same respect homo sapiens are also animals.