Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anatomy 'wrong' in early animals

Still Waters

Textbooks might have to be re-written when it comes to some of the earliest creatures, a study suggests.

Researchers have found that our understanding of the anatomy of the first four-legged animals is wrong.

New 3D models of fossil remains show that previous renderings of the position of the beasts' backbones were actually back-to-front.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-20987289

• Like 1

Do I remember correctly that the British Natural History Museum originally got the tail of its famous Brontosaurus (now - Apatosaurus) skeletal display upside-down, or am I experiencing a race-memory of seeing an undernourished Bronto doing gymnastics?

Huh... kind of gives new meaning to the term "you got your head up your *** :w00t:

• 1 month later...

Do I remember correctly that the British Natural History Museum originally got the tail of its famous Brontosaurus (now - Apatosaurus) skeletal display upside-down,

no no no no no... BAD ealdwita, BAD! reject your apatosaurusiness! embrace your brontosaurusy past! it always was, and always will be, a BRONTOSAURUS!!

pluto will always be a planet, snickers will always be marathon's, and a 50p piece will always be a ten-bob bit!

the old ways are always the best ways.....

:-)

New 3D models of fossil remains show that previous renderings of the position of the beasts' backbones were actually back-to-front.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-20987289

how could they tell??

Dinosaurs- thin at the front, fat in the middle, thin at the back! they kinda look the same whichever way round you look at 'em....