Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Internet issue

Bendy Demon

I have a problem and I hope you guys can help.

My home has wireless internet..we have on router and one modem.

One computer is plugged directly into the router and the other upstairs is wireless.

As of recently the comp upstairs isn't getting internet even though the routers program ( I have Trend Net Router) shows a very good signal strength but the other icon (looks like two little computers) always shows that it is trying to connect...it uses some term I cannot recall.

The computer which is plugged directly to the router still has a connection but cuts out at times then comes back.

I am thinking it could be the modem but now that I am researching I wonder if it is the router.

Both are about two or so years old..so could it be the router?

Edited: I think it really IS the router. I had originally thought it was the modem; with all the wires we have running about I thought one computer was plugged to the modem when I realized I misidentified it. It is the cable connecting the modem and router and the computer is plugged into the router.

Still..why would the comp that is plugged into the router still get internet while the other doesn't?

I shall look into the matter further.

Edited by Ryu

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bendy Demon

• Hasina

• Orcseeker

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably the router. Try replacing it first, they're at least cheaper then the modem.

Also, why the computer that's plugged is still getting signal while the other isn't? The computer that's plugged in is getting it's Internet service straight through the wire, the other upstairs is getting the wireless signal. If the router is messing up, it's antenna, then no go for the wireless.

Edited by Hasina

What router do you have?

The one plugged into the router has a direct connection to the modem as the router will simply act as a switch. It does sound like your wireless router is faulty.

Yeah..the router I have is a Trend net brand and even though the one computer is plugged directly to it..at times the connection will drop completely then reconnect. At first I thought it was a signal strength issue and our Internet Provider came and installed a signal booster which helped for a time but now the comp with the wireless isn't getting any internet even though the Trend Net software shows there is a signal so yeah..it probably IS the router.

Thanks

I don't have a "wireless card". Both computers already have the wireless doohickey on the Motherboard.

Sorry D: I've only fiddled with a few computers and the ones that I have fiddled with had separate motherboards ad wireless cards. All in all, you were probably right in the first place, router issues. Routers crap out a lot, that's how they get ya.

Thanks. I just bought a new router from Net Gear..supposed to be a good brand so I am gonna un-install the software from the old one..the new one is CD-less so that is nice.

Thanks all

Well..I still have a problem..the comp that is wired to the router has internet but my other one still does not.

The wireless adapter shows the new router and is showing that it is getting a signal but still kick in and out though not as bad as before.

Regardless of what browser I use I still get nothing, zip, zilch...nada.

I tried totally un-installing the driver for my wireless adapter then reinstalling it but that did nothing.

I have the NetGear Router that is CD-less so both computers register the router but my computer (the wireless one) isn't letting me on the net which means it could be an internal issue.

Edited: Fixed it!!!

I had to go into the internet properties and select to have windows handle the settings and now it works great.

Edited by Ryu