Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many of you do and don't believe in God?

LiveForChrist1

I never realized there was a third choice. Either you do believe in God, or you don't believe in God, or ... ?

Agnostic is a person who neither believes or disbelieves. There is no way to prove whether or not there is a god, so an Agnostic takes the middle of road.

Okay the reason I chose this forum is because I wanted to see what you guys would say, I am planning on posting another one of these to the other forum.

In case you guys don't visit the other forum I wanted to get your input here.

May I ask as to why you ask?

I believe in god but not the bible version..

No.

Simple as that. I've examined various religious beliefs and traditions and never found (despite being raised as a devout Catholic) a convincing (direct or indirect) reason to believe that there is any sort of creator God responsible for the universe and/or gives a crap about me and whatever may happen to me after I die.

I'm an atheist and make no bones about it.

• Like 1

I don't believe in any god. I'm an atheist.

Ditto!

Or you don't care, or you don't know.

But the question was about belief.

Agnostic is a person who neither believes or disbelieves. There is no way to prove whether or not there is a god, so an Agnostic takes the middle of road.

Many agnostics disbelieve because they don't know. Still the question wasn't about knowledge or proof, it was whether you believe in God or not.

Sometimes I find myself sorta' believing (In Deist terms) but most of the time I'm not sure and even then, I don't like the term 'god, I prefer Creative Force. Everyone has the same amount of proof for the existence of god and more so their own- Nothing. I certainly don't buy into any religions and Id be very depressed if they were true.

Edited by Sean93

Believing in something is healthy.

Heaven's Gate Cult

• Like 3

Heaven's Gate Cult

Don't forget about Jones Town and Waco..

• Like 2

If this thread is a census or poll of some sort, the Theists came on strong at first and the Atheists came on strong later.

The 'I don't know and I don't care, and I have my own ideas crowd' was strong throughout.

Personally I'm a Christian who went to a baptist school, yet chose to be presbyterian. I don't like the shouting preachers lol... Plus I rarely go to church.

I also believe that the entire bible is correct, yet due to certain facts that they had back then, and it being passed generation from generation, some information is off. (The earth being created in 7 days and people living for 300 years is due to the calender they used at the time)

I agree, I am grateful for the Bible there are some very useful teachings on the human condition in there and it does provide a moral compass to many - rightly or wrongly is another debate.

As to Jesus, we couldn't ask for a better Teacher.

Who and what Jesus and God are may not be the same as what people have understood them to be and in this I remain open to new insights spiritually. I also don't think God belongs to just the Bible or just to Christians or the religious there have been attempts to comprehend this being that is God in many civilisations and all across the world in various beliefs, I do not discount wisdom when I hear it just because it didn't come from the usual sources.

Amen preacha!

Yes I believe in God 100% ;)

• Like 1

I think if a god exists it isn't anything like the one held by most religions. Why He comes of as being too petty, too much like a child and, above all, too small. An all powerful god decides to come down on one planet, a planet out of billions? No. A lot of religions seem far more concerned with grandising the human race which seems seems rather silly. We know that there's this giant universe out there yet god seems only interested in us? It sounds absurd when looked at with any degree of thought.

Personally? No I don't think there is a god. And eveen if there is, I don't see why such an entity would have even the slightest interest in our race.

Or how about a god who only cares about one particular nation? As we evolve our minds and spirits evolve. Compared to a nation we are small, compared to the planet even smaller, compared to a universe? But we, with our little minds still contemplate "him"... he hasnt changed but we are constantly changing. If we say "I believe" what are we striving for? What is the significance of knowing god???

Shadowhive these questions arent for you I was just inspired by your post... although I have to say I dont agree that god is not interested in our race... I think he's interested in our race as a whole and each of us individually as well.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

I believe in a god. Just not a god any religion I know of tells of. I think there has to be an origin to the all-encompassing matter we see everywhere. Maybe it came from this "God" people keep squabbling about? I'm not even sure that the God I believe in would be a living entity. I'm confused.

As I always say. The only way I've even heard of God is from others. That alone is simply not enough. If I were to "believe", I'd be lying to myself. I think a lot of people are in that certain predicament when they go through this. They say they believe but don't truly believe it.

If anything, God is the universe, we are the universe, we are God essentially. We find our own way and solve our own inner problems. People just create the concept of God to deal with such. Im learning to accept that this whole thing we are living in is more complex than we can imagine. The different dimensions and everything of the like, it just feels to lazy to say, oh God did it.

Our brain is extremely complicated, I feel there is so much more we don't know about it and the answers they could provide would solve a lot of problems and reveal so much more about ourselves than we even know and capable of.

• Like 4

Or how about a god who only cares about one particular nation? As we evolve our minds and spirits evolve. Compared to a nation we are small, compared to the planet even smaller, compared to a universe? But we, with our little minds still contemplate "him"... he hasnt changed but we are constantly changing. If we say "I believe" what are we striving for? What is the significance of knowing god???

Shadowhive these questions arent for you I was just inspired by your post... although I have to say I dont agree that god is not interested in our race... I think he's interested in our race as a whole and each of us individually as well.

You must not be talking about the biblical god.

http://bible.cc/isaiah/40-17.htm

Before him all the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by him as worthless and less than nothing.

http://bible.cc/daniel/4-35.htm

All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: "What have you done?"

• Like 1

You must not be talking about the biblical god.

http://bible.cc/isaiah/40-17.htm

Before him all the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by him as worthless and less than nothing.

http://bible.cc/daniel/4-35.htm

All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: "What have you done?"

These scriptures are comparing the size and power of god to the nations... not his compassion. I am talking about the god of all creation. I dont know if you are being sarcastic but people who find god in the scriptures generally regard him as such so I would have to say yes... I am talking about the god of the bible. :D

Edited by SpiritWriter

I do not accept any made up deity. (of course none exist anyways)

I do not adhere to the concept of personifying and anthropomorphizing nature and the cosmos.

Who are "we" to try to understand a supposed omnipotent being? Humans with minds of their own who should be thinking for themselves rather than having others dictate to them what to believe just because others say so.

• Like 1

I believe in god but i definitely see where being agnostic can cone from, does it really matter what we believe so long as were good people?

• Like 2