Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Masons & Geometry - their secrets unveiled ?

laver

The mathematical science of Geometry is a founding part of Masonry and the letter G which is so important to the craft in many lodges is said to stand for God and / or Geometry and this link comes together in the idea of a supreme deity which is often referred to by Masons as the Great Architect of the Universe or Great Artificer of the Universe.

It is understandable that the science of Geometry should originally have been of major importance to working masons in the past and was then carried forward into the craft of Masonry today with its symbols including the Compass and the Square, important tools to working masons.

It has been proposed that the very ancient origins of Freemasonry lie in the sages of Druidic and Ancient Egyptian religions but why if this is the case should Geometry have been such an important part of the craft and linked to the supreme deity as creator?

We now know that many ancient locations on our planet have geometric links whether by coincidence or design. Is this because the ancients knew that these locations were sacred and had been set out by their deities - the work of the Great Architect / Artificer of masonic tradition?

If so why was this design created in very ancient times?

Was it done in order that at some time it would be found?

When would that be?

There aren't any real secrets that the masons have. It all dates back to King Solmons Temple.

• Like 2

There aren't any real secrets that the masons have. It all dates back to King Solmons Temple.

Geometry is a key part of Masonry, whether any Mason today knows the reason why is another matter. King Solomons Temple may be a myth or a metaphor for something else as there is no archaeological evidence that has yet come to light that it ever existed.

As any Templar, ot Archaeologist, will tell you - the Temple Mount is real, the Temple itself was destroyed in 7th Century BCE. That the catacombs and underground chambers exist is hard to deny, but NO archaeology has been allowed for decades to confirm this. Unfortunately until this Political decision is reversed then you are correct - there is no physical evidence extant that Solomons Temple ever existed.

Geometry is central to a Stone Mason's craft (or Guild) so it is no surprise that geometric forms play a large part in it's ceremonies. That Masonry has plundered the Rites of Templarism (through the Scottish Rite) is of no surprise to me because Masonry lost its way centuries ago.

There is nothing like NWO or iluminati.... Yes there are very powerfull people on this planet but i think they don't want a secret club... Remember for your own success you need to work alone, so no one can scam or con you...Why share your plans and ideas with others ? Just look at wall street... every man for himself. And from personal experience it is bad that you have a partner, even when he is reliable and a friend. World of wealth is one mans mission and others quest.

King Solomons Temple may be a myth or a metaphor for something else as there is no archaeological evidence that has yet come to light that it ever existed.a15.jpg

As any Templar, ot Archaeologist, will tell you - the Temple Mount is real, the Temple itself was destroyed in 7th Century BCE. That the catacombs and underground chambers exist is hard to deny, but NO archaeology has been allowed for decades to confirm this. Unfortunately until this Political decision is reversed then you are correct - there is no physical evidence extant that Solomons Temple ever existed.

Geometry is central to a Stone Mason's craft (or Guild) so it is no surprise that geometric forms play a large part in it's ceremonies. That Masonry has plundered the Rites of Templarism (through the Scottish Rite) is of no surprise to me because Masonry lost its way centuries ago.

Whereas, as you say, there is no evidence at present to prove that the Temple of Solomon ever really existed there is evidence that Jerusalem was a key location in an ancient design of landscape geometry which seems to have been known about by the Knights Templar. Some of this knowledge may have been passed into early Masonry and since the geometric design is very old, which must be the case because of the great age of the sites concerned, may have been thought to be the work of a deity or deities, the Great Architect of Masonic tradition.

There is nothing like NWO or iluminati.... Yes there are very powerfull people on this planet but i think they don't want a secret club... Remember for your own success you need to work alone, so no one can scam or con you...Why share your plans and ideas with others ? Just look at wall street... every man for himself. And from personal experience it is bad that you have a partner, even when he is reliable and a friend. World of wealth is one mans mission and others quest.

That might depend on whether a group had shared knowledge to which the rest of us were not privy?

Masons are masons. Let it rest. So what if they were an original union.

Masons are masons. Let it rest. So what if they were an original union.

But the origins of the Masons seems to be much more than just a union. They may now be just a dinner and charitable club for many but certainly were not in the past. It is their interest in Geometry, which is measurement of the land or the Earth, and is very interesting as we find out more about the geometric layout of very ancient sites, a layout which must have been set out thousands of years before our present era and is only just now coming to light. Food for thought maybe?

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, if not I apologize.

Yesterday I was invited to attend a function for new recruits at the local Masonic Lodge.So I did some research,talked to a few people at work about it, and suffice it to say I received mixed emotions about the subject.

Most of them immediately told me not to get involved with Freemasonry, as it's a satanic cult and once you go in you may never leave the order.Bear in mind that most people here are Christians and do not really know waht the masons are about.

It was an ignorant response from them in my opinion, as their knowledge about the order stretch only as far as they have read the conspiracy theories and been told in their churces that it was the devils work.

So now I put the question to you guys/gals, should I be open minded and attend the function to see for myself, or should I distance myself from it?

As it stands now, I have decided to go to the function and keep an open mind, I'm a sceptic at heart and can't just accept their opinions at face value, but I would like to hear your inputs in the matter.

Edited by Verloc

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, if not I apologize.

Yesterday I was invited to attend a function for new recruits at the local Masonic Lodge.So I did some research,talked to a few people at work about it, and suffice it to say I received mixed emotions about the subject.

Most of them immediately told me not to get involved with Freemasonry, as it's a satanic cult and once you go in you may never leave the order.Bear in mind that most people here are Christians and do not really know waht the masons are about.

It was an ignorant response from them in my opinion, as their knowledge about the order stretch only as far as they have read the conspiracy theories and been told in their churces that it was the devils work.

So now I put the question to you guys/gals, should I be open minded and attend the function to see for myself, or should I distance myself from it?

As it stands now, I have decided to go to the function and keep an open mind, I'm a sceptic at heart and can't just accept their opinions at face value, but I would like to hear your inputs in the matter.

Any order or group should state its 'mission statement' if asking people to join, so that they can then decide if they wish to join or not. So it would seem sensible to ask if being recruited to join the Masons what this 'mission statement' is. If you like it, fine, if you don't leave them alone. Ancient origins, with no real current objectives that you can identify with, should perhaps be treated with the greatest suspicion?

I agree laver.I'm not in the habit of buying into, or being a part of archaic occultic organizations(yes that includes most religions).And as far as I know they have modern missions statements, charity in community,safe place to discuss philosophy,be part of proverbial brotherhood.

I see the barbeque as an opportunity to see and decide for myself if I'm in alignment with their beliefs and practices, of course if they do have a shady underside, they are not about to come out and tell recruits everything out right.

I agree laver.I'm not in the habit of buying into, or being a part of archaic occultic organizations(yes that includes most religions).And as far as I know they have modern missions statements, charity in community,safe place to discuss philosophy,be part of proverbial brotherhood.

I see the barbeque as an opportunity to see and decide for myself if I'm in alignment with their beliefs and practices, of course if they do have a shady underside, they are not about to come out and tell recruits everything out right.

Eyes wide open.... would seem to be the only advice?

I say go and judge for yourself regardless of what people here or elsewhere tell you.

The origins of masons is very much like an original union, just as AsteroidX said. They were a guild (union) for masons/builders just as there were guilds for every other group of labourers. Each guild of masons kept things secret so that other masons couldn't steal their ideas. Ever hear of trade secrets? Ever sign a non-disclosure agreement for an employer? They want to make sure that you don't go running off and telling people how your employer does certain things within the framework of their business. The masons and every other guild did way back then. They were protecting their trade secrets.

And can someone please tell me how to teach my bosses to be more nefarious? After all, that's what an architect is, right? A chief builder or carpenter or mason.

I say go and judge for yourself regardless of what people here or elsewhere tell you.

The origins of masons is very much like an original union, just as AsteroidX said. They were a guild (union) for masons/builders just as there were guilds for every other group of labourers. Each guild of masons kept things secret so that other masons couldn't steal their ideas. Ever hear of trade secrets? Ever sign a non-disclosure agreement for an employer? They want to make sure that you don't go running off and telling people how your employer does certain things within the framework of their business. The masons and every other guild did way back then. They were protecting their trade secrets.

And can someone please tell me how to teach my bosses to be more nefarious? After all, that's what an architect is, right? A chief builder or carpenter or mason.

True, in part, but the Masons had some strange rituals for a trade union! and these rituals seem to have carried forward to the present day when the organisation is apparently not acting as a union for builders? Secret societies must surely be treated with suspicion by their very nature of being secret not open?

• Like 1

How do you know there were any rituals when they served as a real guild????

No, never mind. You're going to believe whatever you want about them no matter how much logic I, or anyone, brings into this conversation.

How do you know there were any rituals when they served as a real guild????

No, never mind. You're going to believe whatever you want about them no matter how much logic I, or anyone, brings into this conversation.

Were did the rituals come from then?

I am not anti-mason just wary of secret societies in general and was brought up with...'Your father is at his lodge... but we don't talk about that..' Why all the secrecy if he was just having a beer and bite with some mates ?

• Like 1

If you're interested then you should go check it out. The claims of Satanic cults and what not are nothing other than rumours and conspiracies. "I'm not allowed to just walk in and be told everything so they must be evil!" We actually have a few members who are Masons or are family members of Masons and they appear no different from any other UM member.

So go and if it sounds like something you might be interested in then check it out. If not then just walk away.

If you're interested then you should go check it out. The claims of Satanic cults and what not are nothing other than rumours and conspiracies. "I'm not allowed to just walk in and be told everything so they must be evil!" We actually have a few members who are Masons or are family members of Masons and they appear no different from any other UM member.

So go and if it sounds like something you might be interested in then check it out. If not then just walk away.

Good advice maybe

• 2 months later...

The mathematical science of Geometry is a founding part of Masonry and the letter G which is so important to the craft in many lodges is said to stand for God and / or Geometry and this link comes together in the idea of a supreme deity which is often referred to by Masons as the Great Architect of the Universe or Great Artificer of the Universe.

It is understandable that the science of Geometry should originally have been of major importance to working masons in the past and was then carried forward into the craft of Masonry today with its symbols including the Compass and the Square, important tools to working masons.

It has been proposed that the very ancient origins of Freemasonry lie in the sages of Druidic and Ancient Egyptian religions but why if this is the case should Geometry have been such an important part of the craft and linked to the supreme deity as creator?

We now know that many ancient locations on our planet have geometric links whether by coincidence or design. Is this because the ancients knew that these locations were sacred and had been set out by their deities - the work of the Great Architect / Artificer of masonic tradition?

When would that be?

1.618 PHI , the beautiful code is found in all of nature.

Geometry is a key part of Masonry, whether any Mason today knows the reason why is another matter. King Solomons Temple may be a myth or a metaphor for something else as there is no archaeological evidence that has yet come to light that it ever existed.

Geometry is a key part of everything my friend. No big surprise that a society founded by builders, architects, and engineers would elevate it in their beliefs.

1. The mathematical science of Geometry is a founding part of Masonry and the letter G which is so important to the craft in many lodges is said to stand for God and / or Geometry and this link comes together in the idea of a supreme deity which is often referred to by Masons as the Great Architect of the Universe or Great Artificer of the Universe.

When would that be?

You dont need to be a freemason to learn about sacred geometry, platonic solids and choas theory. Its all out there!

• Like 1