Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lazy genius: Verizon catches US developer

ExpandMyMind

Being a software developer working in the US can net you a salary in the six-figure range. But that doesn’t stop there being some very lazy developers out there earning such high sums of money. A case in point is a developer called Bob, who Verizon just exposed as a lazy genius.

The real identity of the company and developer have not been released, but the details have. The developer, referred to as Bob, works for a “US-based critical infrastructure company.” Bob is a guy who lists 7+ programming languages on his resume and is in his mid-40s, meaning he’s an experienced developer. He’s also been duping his employer for months.

The company he worked for contacted Verizon when it discovered a VPN connection it couldn’t explain on its network. The connection was from Shenyang, China, which set alarm bells ringing. Verizon investigated and discovered the login being used to access the network from China belonged to Bob who sat at his desk every day in the US seemingly working very hard. It was also remaining logged in all day and had been used for months.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/lazy-genius-verizon-catches-us-developer-outsourcing-his-work-to-china-20130116/

:D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ExpandMyMind

• wolfknight

• OverSword

• Likely Guy

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the problem at all. They pay him to get a job done and it's getting done. My co-worker and I have discussed doing this in the past.

I guess the main concern would be security issues with the company's intellectual property, as one of the comments mentions. Good idea all the same though.