Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Military Suicides in 2012 Hit Yet Record High

jugoso

Suicides in the U.S. military surged to a record 349 last year, far exceeding American combat deaths in Afghanistan, and some private experts are predicting the dark trend will grow worse this year.

The Pentagon has struggled to deal with the suicides, which Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and others have called an epidemic. The problem reflects severe strains on military personnel burdened with more than a decade of combat in Afghanistan and Iraq, complicated by anxiety over the prospect of being forced out of a shrinking force.

A breakdown of the suicides among active-duty troops last year by service:

• Army: 182
  • Marine Corps: 48
  • Air Force: 59
  • Navy: 60

http://www.stripes.com/news/2012-military-suicides-hit-record-high-of-349-1.203853

George Bush unleashed the dogs of war, and Barack Obama keeps feeding them.

The hypocrisy is great, especially with their worn out slogan of "Support the Troops". They don't support them, they sacrifice them for their imperial ambitions.

• Like 5

The hypocrisy is great, especially with their worn out slogan of "Support the Troops". They don't support them, they sacrifice them for their imperial ambitions.

You couldn't wrote it better! +1

Watch the documentary "Baker Boys" and you'll see why these guys are fed up with being over there.

When they start taking care of veterans better I'll believe they support the people that serve this Republic.

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to believe the government looks at them as dispensable assets.

In the long scheme of things, they are. Which is sickening.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 2

Reminded me of an article I read a couple of weeks ago:

And you know, the beautiful thing about all this "support" you and I have been giving the troops -- they feel this love and support so much, a record number of them are killing themselves every single week. In fact, there are now more soldiers killing themselves than soldiers being killed in combat (323 suicides in 2012 through November vs. about 210 combat deaths). Yes, you are more likely to die by your own hand in the United States military than by al Qaeda or the Taliban. And an estimated eighteen veterans kill themselves each day, or one in five of all U.S. suicides -- though no one really knows because we don't bother to keep track. Now, that's what I call support! These troops are really feeling the love, people! Lemme hear you say it again: "I support the troops!" Louder! "I SUPPORT THE TROOPS!!" There, that's better. I'm sure they heard us. Don't forget to fly our flag, wear your flag lapel pin, and never, ever let a service member pass you by without saying, "Thank you for your service!" I'm sure that's all they need to keep from putting a bullet in their heads. Do your best to keep your "support" up for the troops because, God knows, I certainly can't any longer.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/01/03-6

• Like 1

Both these invasions, and the entire GWOT were brought under fraud and deception by the government. They can only bring bad things for honest people, because of that.

Sure, they bring 'good' things for the war profiteers and criminals, but the troops and the citizens are the ones paying the price.

• Like 2