Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something in my home

Dog Dish Spectre

So I've had some weird things happening in my home lately. Before anything though, I should probably explain something about my girlfriend. She has what we've taken to calling her "watcher". I've never seen it but she has the same lucid dream every time she sleeps. Its of a tall black figure with large silvery/grey eyes that stands in the shadows in the corner of our room and watches her as she sleeps. She blinks, then she's awake. Everything about the room is the same except the figure isn't there anymore. It started happening when she was a teenager (about 15 years old) and continued until she moved out of her parents house. It stopped for a few years and then started after she had made a trip back home and stayed in her old room one weekend. It's been in our room every since. It normally only watches her when I'm not there with her though, and only in the bedroom. She's also said that she's seen it while asleep on the couch but it was stood near the door of the bedroom still looking across the living room. She's not bothered by it, just a little creeped out. It's been around for so long that she's gotten use to it by now. It seems to be tied to the bedroom.

So here's where the story begins. A friend of mine asked me if he could stored some things in my basement for a couple of days. He's was going through some stuff and would pick them up soon. He's into a lot of unusual stuff, including speaking with spirits, communing, etc. I have always been a sceptic on the subject so whether or not his belonging had any spiritual importance meant nothing to me. It'd only be a few days anyway.

As soon as his things were in the basement we started hearing weird noises. My girlfriend heard someone walk down the hallway, down the basement steps, and then around the basement, no basement door opening. We were the only people home. I got up and checked the locks. All tight. There has been several nights when our dog would wake us up with growls and barks at the bedroom door. Our dog is very timid and NEVER barks, growls even less. I could count the times I've heard him bark in a year on one hand. Another night I heard someone rummaging around my kitchen, moving pots, and walking heavily. I thought it had been our roommate but found out the next day that he had been in a deep sleep the entire night and hadn't left his room. Also, the "watcher" had now taken to standing right beside the bed and leaning over me (outside of the bed) to stare closely at my girlfriend. This was the first time it had ever been there while I was. She said it seemed angry, and was emitting an aggressive aura. This happened every night my friend's things were in the basement. Finally, a dog dish in my living room was constantly out of place. I hadn't paid any mind to it at first but it began to happen so often that I started to wonder. It's a dish on top with a storage compartment in the bottom. It holds a good 20-25 lbs of dog food. Every time we leave the room it moves back in to the same position. We make a point to push it tight to the corner before we leave and while we are home. It moves almost every time. I've gotten up in the morning and it was moved, replaced it, took a shower, it was moved again, replaced it, went to work, got home, moved again. It even moved one time while I was sitting in front of the tv, though I didn't see it. I just noticed that it was out of place and knew it hadn't been when I sat down.

I should mention that I have 2 cats as well as a dog. The dog has never eaten at the dish. He takes a mouthful of food brings it to his mat. The cats have never paid any attention to the dog dish in the year its been there. It's only begun to move since my friend brought that stuff over. It's moved while no one was home, the dog was with me, and one of the cats was in the basement. There's no way a small cat like mine could move that dish. My roommate swears that he hasn't touched the dish.

Once my buddy came and picked up his stuff the weird noises stopped. The "watcher" went back to his normal routine. The dog stopped growling. But the dish still moves. There's no pattern. It happens when we're not around. It's full and heavy. But it still moves. It's got my girlfriend pretty freaked out. I'm kinda weirded out myself.

I don't know what I hope to change by sharing this, but I figured I would to see if anyone has any comments or suggestions. The dish in the picture is normally tight in the corner. It's always moved to approximately the same angle.

post-136459-0-37114400-1358352882_thumb.

Also, this morning my girlfriend was sitting on the couch and the bookshelf we recently installed slid out from the wall 4 inches. Creaked then slid out. The shelf is 6 feet high and must weigh 100 lbs. The dog was next to it and got the scare of its life. The day before the dog had been next to it and a big book tipped over and scared him. I thought he might have nudged the shelf but now i'm not so sure.

• 11 months later...

Place a holy Bible near it and see what happens

Cameras seem to be more effective.
  • Like 6

What your girlfriend is seeing could very well be an undiagnosed sleep disorder, but if she believes it is a real entity, that combined with the items you are storing in your basement could very well be leading you to place significance in what would otherwise be fairly mundane occurances.

The dog bowl moving, could very well be caused by your dog, even if he has never moved the bowl before. Also, the sounds your girlfriend has heard could just be natural sounds or an over-active imagination but then if she believes this "watcher" is supernatural and knowing of the items in the basement could be leading her to assume the noises are supernatural.

A couple of things you could try would be as Rlyeh has suggested, using a camera to record the dog bowl to see if it moves and what is causing it.

Another thing you could attempt would be to place the items back in the basement, without telling your girlfriend to see whether the same things occur again.

• Like 3

Cameras seem to be more effective.

My thoughts exactly!

Also, this morning my girlfriend was sitting on the couch and the bookshelf we recently installed slid out from the wall 4 inches. Creaked then slid out. The shelf is 6 feet high and must weigh 100 lbs. The dog was next to it and got the scare of its life. The day before the dog had been next to it and a big book tipped over and scared him. I thought he might have nudged the shelf but now i'm not so sure.

Honestly, Ryleh hit it right on the nose! Put Camera's up around your house and I guarantee ALL unknown happenings will cease at once! The minute you're recording, "Ghosts and Goblins" disappear immediately. :tu:

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the "Watcher" is doing. She's said it feel jealous more than protective. It's now commonly around while I am too, though usually in the corner. The dog dish has almost completely stopped moving. I'll see it moved maybe once a month, if that. The dog however is terrified of that spot in the house. He'll physically fight you if you try to lead him there. It's weird. The happenings have however stopped for the most part. I guess if there was a presence then is diminished over time since the objects were removed. I have found out since that the friend was into some serious stuff, much more than would be considered healthy. Those items in my basement were all to do with that. I'm convinced that was the cause of these happenings. I'm just glad they've stopped. I do wish I'd used some cameras though.

• 2 months later...

Yeah uh call a priest if anything else "bad" (not that I would say some vile thing that probably crawled out of some abyss, watching me sleep every friggin night is good) happens. But yea know no sweat right.... It can probably taste your fear. Seriously call a priest

Cameras are a good idea if you can afford one.Can't say exactly who or what the Watcher is.You say it started as a teenager with her. Do you know if her old home was ever haunted? Did her parents ever know,see or hear the Watcher? Do you know if she ever when younger played with an ouija board with any friends maybe in her old bedroom growing up?Just curious. The change to an aggressive aura on the Watcher's part and the pets,etc. suggests indeed your friend is into some deep stuff. If it was just plain junk like everyone collects, then nothing would have happend.There might have been something attached to his belongings.Hopefully there isn't any residue left behind.

• Like 1

the title should have been.... something in my head... or... or.. nothing in my head

• Like 1

With lucid dreams as far as that watcher goes, what one is thinking on can create so it is possible to create like a watcher and keep that happening if that is what she expects to be there (but then maybe it is real.. who knows).

I would agree that if you feel unable to handle this(understandably) a priest is in order. And they do not charge a dime.

A recent event I felt was a bad spirit in the middle of my kitchen(I never actually saw it)

I did not pay attention to it until about the 3rd time I walked by, the extreme sense of something wrong was there.

So, me, having an anxiety disorder for some reason is not afraid of that AT ALL. Weird, I know.

Anyway, I could sense exactly where it was at. About 3-feet in front of me. Though I could see nothing.

I leaned against the counter with my arms across my chest(like a "uh-huh")

Then I opened my arms and said "Come-on, let's do it"...

I had NO FEAR AT ALL.

The so-called presence went away immediately after that.

Was it just in my own mind I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

My first idea explaining the noise in the OP's house is that it was electronically produced by some equipment hidden in the things from the friend of his. But the dish seems to be something else.

When I was a child, in the nights I saw toys that were moving or I saw a little tree in my room or flying stars. Various strange things can happen and there can be more diverse causes for themir occurrence.