Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living for ever good or bad?

spartan max2

It's certainly bad as a short-term thing what with the over- population on our planet.

However eternal life really takes a life of it's own when it comes to space exploration.

It dosn't matter how many people live for ever as long as we have all those handy planets to colonise.

However having eternal life dosn't make you entirely invincible.

Tbh it's everybody's dream fantasy but you'll got to weigh up all the pros and cons.

The prospect is very tantalising when you've got a chance of cheating death.

I would take them up on the offer if I knew the Earth was in safe hands.

But the've got to perfect the technique first.

Edited by Medium Brown

Insanity will follow if you're alive forever.

Humans are programmed for the illusion that their life is forever, while they silently know they're programmed to be temporary.

It'd be brilliant. I'd be straight on a ship and headed for the zenith!

Of course the ramifications of such a thing as immortality would be dire; over population in a matter of years is the biggest thing.

You are living in cuckoo land. But you are entitled to your opinion,

Im sorry you can't think ahead.

If you'd actually have knowledge about advancements in technology and business you'd know it to be true.

Edited by Render

Im sorry you can't think ahead.

If you'd actually have knowledge about advancements in technology and business you'd know it to be true.

its not just about advancements in technology and business, you seem to have forgotten about the human race. Looking through history, advanced technology also includes warfare, so if you can look ahead and tell me that there will be no warlords and no humans striving to gain control over others, no religious movements intent on pushing for their own political agendas to rule the world, people accepting the leaders telling them they can not have have more than say 2 children because of the problems with over population, man finally respecting nature without some abusing it, big business men not abusing their powers at the expense of others....then I might be able to see outside the box, but so far the "box" holds the key to our future.

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Another apt quote from Hamlet might be......

"Not a whit, we defy augury. There is special providence in

the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to

come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come—the

readiness is all. Since no man, of aught he leaves, knows what is't

to leave betimes, let be."

Act V, Scene 2

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

can't say evil, it's the choice of our personality, good for me that is

Boring. Living forever would leave people unenthusiastic about things.

Living forever, or even if your were stuck here in this life for say 30,000 years would not leave people unenthusiatic at all.

If you were stuck in this life for the next 30,000 years your main ambition in life would be making live more interesting and barable for the 30k years.. lol..

If anything these short lives we live makes us unenthusiastic because... "Who cares!! I'll be dead long before that happens..

• Like 1

The 30,000 years has reminded me about the other thread where scientists are trying recreate the role of Frankenstein, at least if people did live forever, then these scientists would not need to do any more research on cloning.

But sure they will find something else to do, like how to end an immortals life by natural causes!

Am genuinely surprised there are so many negative attitudes to this idea of living forever..

My how we seem to have a negative view of our selves..

• Like 1

Am genuinely surprised there are so many negative attitudes to this idea of living forever..

I do not have a negative view about myself, its the mad men out there who give me much doubt.....and many of them run our countries.

• Like 1

The 30,000 years has reminded me about the other thread where scientists are trying recreate the role of Frankenstein, at least if people did live forever, then these scientists would not need to do any more research on cloning.

But sure they will find something else to do, like how to end an immortals life by natural causes!

The 30,000 years of life is actually something I've experienced as a truth..

Am sure many will think this was a trippy drug induced thing, but I assure you it wasn't..

But for several minutes my mind lived under the assumption/truth that I would live for 30,000 years.. And I tell you this, it was a wonderful experience that temporarily gave me all the enthusiasm in the world to go out and do things and be whever I wanted to be, and to change the world into something new and exciting and somewhere I wanted to be.. For several minutes this Euphoric feeling that I would live for 30,000 years made every action I did so purposeful and meaningfull that it was a pleasure just to breathe!! (I was vacumming the carpet at the time)

So I've been there and It was awesome! I wish everyone could experience this. Because it was a sure cure for the old "Who cares I'll be dead by then" attitude of humanity.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

Looks like most of the bases have been covered. Except perhaps some non-biological state? But even that kind of immortality might not prevent the nastier aspects of human nature from raising their ugly heads.

"We could bear the poignant truth that birds sing beautifully for a time, then become a pile of lifeless feathers if we could embrace the possibility that there are other worlds to sing in." sounds more benign than any religious heaven or hell. Or New Age collective consciousness. Or reincarnation, which is merely an exchange of one consciousness for another. It's this present consciousness I want to preserve, not the next one. "I don't want immortality through my work" said Woody Allen. "I want it by not dying."

Don't think John Steinbeck liked the idea of immortality because he said, "I have seen too many men delay their exits with a sickly slow reluctance to leave the stage—it's bad theater as well as bad living."

Yeah, "You only live once" said Mae West "but if you do it right once is enough."

"Don't cry because it's over" wrote Dr. Seuss. "Smile because it happened."

--Bill

Just a thought, what with all the fatal accidents in the world, how do these stand as being immortal beings? or are accidents an exception? Ohhh, all those who`s "wife. husband. business partner, and not forgetting the inheritance seekers, who can not bare the thought of them never dying, will there be more "accidents" on the cards?

I agree.

Imagine would you could do if you lived 100,000 years. Imagine the women you would meet during that time, the films, the computer games, the holidays and adventures. You could go to uni and get a degree in every subject one by one.

• Like 1

and to change the world into something new and exciting and somewhere I wanted to be..

Like your dream, would like one of those every day. :yes:

As for changing the world, wouldn`t we all like to do that, but its the changes which cause the problems, as not everyones ideal world is necessarily yours or mine....hence the problems of immorality may not be such an ideal idea.

• Like 1

Let's just refer to Highlander.

"There can only be one!"

• Like 1

Like your dream, would like one of those every day. :yes:

As for changing the world, wouldn`t we all like to do that, but its the changes which cause the problems, as not everyones ideal world is necessarily yours or mine....hence the problems of immorality may not be such an ideal idea.

Actually it wasn't a dream. It was a real experience that happened about 2 1/2 years ago. A random, out of the blue experience that happened while I was vacuming one day.. It only lasted 2 minutes, but was more real than average consciousness imo..

In changing the world, I would think that if people genuinely lived for 30,000 years or more, that's more than enough time for people to comprimise on what changes they want to make and see and do.. I guess it's would be like being stuck in an office with some co-worker you dont like these days.. Sure you disagree some of the time, but at the end of the day, you've got to live with him/her, so you learn to get along, and learn to understand your differences. Instead of drawing lines and threats you end up melting into a consentual understanding..

Maybe I'm just naieve.. *shrugs* then again, thanks to 2 minutes of weirdness I think I have a unique perspective on this.

I agree.

Imagine would you could do if you lived 100,000 years. Imagine the women you would meet during that time, the films, the computer games, the holidays and adventures. You could go to uni and get a degree in every subject one by one.

This brings up another weird thing.. Because if you did genuinely believe that you could and would live for 30,000 years these are the kind of things that would mean little if not nothing to you.. They are just passing fads and things that are meaningless against the scale of your life.. It's the grand achievements that mean more to you when life is longer, the epic achievements like colonising the stars, ending all human suffering.. these things are brought to the fore-front of your goals.

Well to start things off, I myself wouldn't mind being an immortal; but I think the idea of everyone else being immortal is terrible at best. Think about it.. if everyone was immortal then what would be the purpose of being immortal? There would be no purpose, everything would just die down to this bleak existence we'd come to know as life. There would be no meaning for there would be no counterpart to our very existence.. no change, no history to be made, no being better than the last because the last is still living..

This brings up another weird thing.. Because if you did genuinely believe that you could and would live for 30,000 years these are the kind of things that would mean little if not nothing to you.. They are just passing fads and things that are meaningless against the scale of your life.. It's the grand achievements that mean more to you when life is longer, the epic achievements like colonising the stars, ending all human suffering.. these things are brought to the fore-front of your goals.

Essentially.

A human being can master every subject on Earth and still be bored.

That's because humans have the potential to learn much - but a finite time in existence to learn.

Even if a human lived for thousands of years and learned much, they'd want to branch out into space to learn more.

Well to start things off, I myself wouldn't mind being an immortal; but I think the idea of everyone else being immortal is terrible at best. Think about it.. if everyone was immortal then what would be the purpose of being immortal? There would be no purpose, everything would just die down to this bleak existence we'd come to know as life. There would be no meaning for there would be no counterpart to our very existence.. no change, no history to be made, no being better than the last because the last is still living..

What would be the purpose of being immortal? why cant the purpose be just to live and enjoy it? lol

Those our society goals not personal ones.

If you set aside 50 could you be better than Messi? win a gold medal at an Olympics? release a pop album? become Prime Minister?

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Those our society goals not personal ones.

If you set aside 50 could you be better than Messi? win a gold medal at an Olympics? release a pop album? become Prime Minister?

What good are personal goals if you live for 100,000 years?

That was the weird thing about it.. During this 2 minutes where I believed that I could and would live for 30,000 years personal goals meant little if not nothing, but the goals of humanity meant everything to me..

Perhaps that was the lesson? If you think about it, personal goals are important to us now because in our short life-spans we want to think we achieved something great in our 75-80 years of life.. but if we lived for thousands of years the personal goals we'd strive for would not be constrained by the length of time we exist on this earth.. The goal-posts would shift..

• Like 1

Yup, surprises me too.

A lot of ppl have been so influenced by hollywood, they can't even think about anything else anymore.

Edited by Render
  • Like 1