Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Reveal Facebook of 16th Century

Still Waters

According to British researchers, the idea of creating networks of members and sharing information dates back to the 16th century.

The discovery was made during a collaborative research project between Royal Holloway, the British Library and Reading University, in which a team of academics are cataloguing and investigating the works of the Italian Academies, dating from 1525 to 1700. The project provides information about the academies, their members, publications, activities and emblems.

The team was surprised to realize just how similar the activities of these 16th and 17th century scholars were with society today – young scholars created nicknames for themselves and developed emblems and mottoes to form groups.

http://www.sci-news....ticle00824.html

Don't tell ol' Zuckerburg his idea wasn't original after all.......... :lol:

This does not surprise me at all, but there is quite a big difference between the two...its called the "internet"

I guess people have always wanted to connect with each other.

• Like 1

This does not surprise me at all, but there is quite a big difference between the two...its called the "internet"

I agree, I'm not surprised such 'networking, nicknaming and motto making' went on WAAAAY before Facebook, but the Internet revolutionised the way we connect with each other, and the idea of a global society. However, such networking occuring to a basic standard does not surprise me, and surely was the basis for such inventions later on.

• Like 1

I agree, I'm not surprised such 'networking, nicknaming and motto making' went on WAAAAY before Facebook, but the Internet revolutionised the way we connect with each other, and the idea of a global society. However, such networking occuring to a basic standard does not surprise me, and surely was the basis for such inventions later on.

if you are 18, you are a very bright young man. :tu:

• Like 1

I exited from Facebook many months ago.I have no need for it.It ****s me.Facebook ****s me to the extent that I would rather not reveal the extent that it ****s me to! LOL Gone but not forgotten!The vehicle that facebook used to get us on to it has lost its shine! So as all of you know,the idea of facebook, has lost its shine.It has lost it! i HAVE NO NEED TO BE ON IT'S BOOKS! i HATE IT! AM A CHRISTIAN & i AM OPEN TO ALL IDEAS & FACEBOOK JUST ****s ME TO THE EXTENT THAT I need it no more!!

Edited by GirlfromOz

OK Guys! This version of Facebook is random but apart from the regualatory reasons,we have some questions to answer.I have some questions to answer.He he.

I just thought of some 16th century woman with a duckface.

Brb, dying of laughter.

The 'nicknaming' of groups goes back at least to the later Roman Legions, (especially in the time of the Emperor Diocletian) Personal 'usernames' among principle characters were not unknown either.

• Like 1