Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I'm considering becoming a nun

SpiritWriter

I would invite you for a drink but I'm terribly deformed.

This is me

quasimodo.jpg

Sorry, the face doesn't ring a bell!

• Like 2

I would invite you for a drink but I'm terribly deformed.

This is me

quasimodo.jpg

Hey I think we met before! Sorry I never called you back. Lol jk - at least your pretty on the inside :-*

Edited by SpiritWriter

Can you turn away from this lifestyle if you realize your heart is not into this anymore? I would never choose what I can't turn back from. No offense but I have heard scary stories about nuns and monks that I have got a bit of a negative opinion regarding this. Go where your passion lies but remember to temper your passion with compassion as well. Remember a life that does not give you the chance to turn back is robbing you off your free-will. And if you want to commune with God, then there are many other ways. Ultimately it will be upon you, but think it through.

Edited by Blood_Sacrifice
  • Like 1

... and catholic mass always bored me I forgot about that part but I will still think about it further.

Stop right there. The world does not need any more hypocrites, nor do I think you want to perform lip service every day.

Edit: I really dont know why a nun wouldn't be interested in these things.... I think they would! Like saint Teresa I think she would fight for causes like these...

I don't know where you live, but there's probably a Tzu Chi branch nearby. Tzu Chi is a global Buddhist relief organization, that also constructs hospitals and schools. It was founded by a simple Buddhist nun going door to door asking housewives for a few pennies each.

The wiki entry for the founder Cheng Yen notes "She is often called the "Mother Teresa of Asia.""

Anyways, just trying to show you other alternatives besides Catholicism.

Stop right there. The world does not need any more hypocrites, nor do I think you want to perform lip service every day.

I don't know where you live, but there's probably a Tzu Chi branch nearby. Tzu Chi is a global Buddhist relief organization, that also constructs hospitals and schools. It was founded by a simple Buddhist nun going door to door asking housewives for a few pennies each.

The wiki entry for the founder Cheng Yen notes "She is often called the "Mother Teresa of Asia.""

Anyways, just trying to show you other alternatives besides Catholicism.

Thats why titles are lame

Might not be a bad idea to hit up your local Catholic church for info on being a nun... But poking around a tad, there are some rules..

You do have to be Catholic to be a Catholic nun.

You can have had children and still become a nun- however, those children must be fully grown and not a dependent. You cannot be married, and if you were married, that marriage either has to be annulled or have ended through death. I read a bit of conflicting information about divorce- if he left you, you might be able to do it, but if you left him, I think you can't.

There are a few accounts of unwed mothers entering the sisterhood, but those seem to be on a case by case basis.

You aren't supposed to have any debt upon entrance to the novitiate... Student loans, mortgages, CC debt, all that stuff applies.

Age is somewhat a factor, they like to take nuns between 18-40.. Many houses take every woman that knocks on a case by case basis.

Don't forget that nuns are celibate...

Yeah maybe anarchy is the wrong title. I want to fight against the one percent, bring commerce to small business, bring awareness about slave practices utilized by the large corporations, make aware the brain washing tactics performed by the media that have pretty much destroyed our youth "thier specific target audience" and help raise up community minded young leaders who will continue teaching leadership as apose to follow-ship, who aim to identify injustice and break away from the controlling system. I know that sounds like a large task and I am not the type to be overburdened... I will take naps.. but I just want to be apart of something that is working toward those goals. Maybe I can just write and distribute literature and sit in on a few organizing meetings? So I dont know what party I would claim but those are my interests.. and maybe I can go on a pilgramage instead of doing the nun thing. I will still look more into it though. I wouldn't want to have to call the priest father... and catholic mass always bored me I forgot about that part but I will still think about it further. :/

The Highlighted portion appeals to me..

People need to be educated avout how they are being brainwashed by corporate media, personally though, I think 99% of pamphlets go in the rubish.. But I guess you could go door knocking. (Dont dress like a Joho though) :ph34r:

The pilgramage sounds interesting too.. I've often amused myself with the thought of going on an advertising defacing pilgramage.. Just wonder about the country (at night obviously) to destroy offensive advertising billboards.. :devil: Or advertising belonging to offensive corporations..

Edited by Professor T

The Highlighted portion appeals to me..

People need to be educated avout how they are being brainwashed by corporate media, personally though, I think 99% of pamphlets go in the rubish.. Bit I guess you could go door knocking. (Dont dress like a Joho though) :ph34r:

The pilgramage sounds interesting too.. I've often amused myself with the thought of going on an advertising defacing pilgramage.. Just wonder about the country (at night obviously) to destroy offensive advertising billboards.. :devil: Or advertising belonging to offensive corporations..

Lol maybe we could become a duo.

They might go in the rubbish but it all starts with awareness, truth leads to conviction.

Pleeeease forgive the typos!

You are forgiven my child.

• Like 1

If you're not Catholic you can be your own nun. Just decide to be celibate. Don't accept if men ask you out. Get a job working at a University taking care of Laboratory animals or get a job taking care of children? Nuns have to work - a lot.

You don't get to just sit around doing nothing. They farm and garden and can fruits and vegetables and they make wine and bread and sell it and do all kinds of things and some Nuns work with children and teach. So it's not like you get to just sit around and eat three square meals a day.

Work in a daycare center for children or old people. Pray, believe in God, do good works, take care of the sick and the elderly, the widows and orphans. Volunteer with Hospice. That is what Nuns do.

Art

Of course you have to do what you have to do but I would give it serious thought. That is going to be so different than anything you are use to like freedom to do what you want or protest what you want. From what I understand and I'm not catholic, nuns lead pretty controlled lives. You seem more like a free spirit to me.

That may be very sound advice.....! Freedom of thought and action should not be given up lightly, it is the great gift that some of us have but not all.... 'Freedom is a word I rarely use without thinking.....' . If you look up the origins of the word FREEDOM I think you will find, from memory, that it is the 'dear' who are free and not slaves. Why give up that freedom to become a slave... particularly to an organisation that has in the past, and today, shown that it is so undeserving of our trust..........

Hi,

Interesting, I have had similar ideas before I met my husband and I am not a catholic either. Somehow though I have always felt drawn to a catholic faith.. I have always felt inspired by stories about saintly nuns like for example Theresa of Avila. I suggest that you check her if not already familiar about her. It is a very interesting. I think she was a free spirit even though she lived in a monastery and dedicated her life to God.

But I think even to her it did not come easy:)

Have a really nice day:)

• Like 1

Hi,

Catholic Nuns have many different roles and it depends if you want to be a 'cloistered Nun' or work in the community. The one thing that I would be asking myself (if it were I) 'why didn't I become a Nun in the first place?' That's my only thought. Good luck with whatever you decide. :tu:

• Like 1

Most people think of course of the Catholic church when it comes to nuns. However the Anglican church also has them as do the orthodox .

I had a great aunt and a second cousin who were both nuns.My great aunt was a School Sister of Notre Dame for 60 years and my cousin was a Sister of Charity of NazerathKentucky. You don't have the freedom to come and go and do what you want when you want to.There are various other things nuns can't do.

My cousin Carlene who was the Sister of Charity was a very pretty young lady.She had boyfriends but felt God calling her to the religious life and she had the example of her aunt Sister Generose (my great aunt) before her.I guess Sister Generose too must have inspired her with the desire to enter the convent.

You can be young or old to be a nun.Of course your children should be grown up and on their own, and most who do enter at an older age are widowed.

There are also what they call secular institutes some of whom their members live in community and on others no.

You may also find that some religious communities of women have lay members,people who help the sisters in their work as volunteers if you will.

You can order from Amazon The Catholic Almanac published by Our Sunday Visitor a Catholic publications.It lists religious orders and secular institutes in the US.

My great aunt was a teacher and my cousin Carlene was a nurse.

Nuns work very hard at what they do.The ones who teach nurse,take care of mentally challenged kids etc are mainly called sisters.Those who pray and do not teach or nurse are called nuns. But as said before the ones in the cloister have to work very hard too to support themselves.

I once wanted to be a nun.But first my mother and then my father got seriously ill, so i never did enter a convent.However I think God wanted me to be in the world and help them.there is much you can do in the world without entering the convent. Also orders like the Franciscans etc.do have lay members.I believe Catherine of Aragon belonged to the Franciscans as a lay member. This is something that one can do and even be married.

• Like 2

Because im typing on a phone with a small screen and when I go back to edit its hard to navigate and starts swinging back and forth. I figure its better to leave the typos then it is to take 30 min to make a post. There are no red lines for me on this app.

Can nuns have smart phones with apps?

• Like 1

Any thoughts?

Hi SpiritWriter. You may want to watch In This House of Brede, starring Diana Rigg. Peace.

Hi SpiritWriter. You may want to watch In This House of Brede, starring Diana Rigg. Peace.

Or maybe 'Lilies of the Field'. Download the song "Amen!" from Youtube or the movie. Or read the book by William Edmund Barrett. Lifts my spirits, evertime. :)

Youtube link:

Edited by Likely Guy