Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who does Antarctica belong to?

Still Waters

For half a century the question of who owns Antarctica has been frozen but it is showing signs of warming up.

This week the Chilean president made his third visit to the continent, where he placed a flag where Chile's latest research station will be opened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21054986

Shoggoths. The penguins are food for them.

• Like 1

No one, It's a haven for research; god forbid humans start populating it and defrosting it to make way for missile testing zones so summat.

• Like 3

Now why in the heck would man want to claim ownership of something he can not even live on when he already has his own country? it belongs to nature. the penguins and seals...

lets see if the world leaders tell Chile that they can not do claim ownership, or maybe the "research" being carried out will involve many other countries too!!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

The Antarctica Treaty mentioned in the video bans military activity there, but allows freedom of scientific investigations. There are currently 50 members, including Chile.

The treaty also does not recognize, dispute or establishes claims. Some countries made claims prior to the treaty, Chile being one, but the treaty also states no new claims shall be asserted. These claims are not recognized by the other non-claiming countries.

• Like 1

The Antarctica Treaty mentioned in the video bans military activity there, but allows freedom of scientific investigations. There are currently 50 members, including Chile.

The treaty also does not recognize, dispute or establishes claims. Some countries made claims prior to the treaty, Chile being one, but the treaty also states no new claims shall be asserted. These claims are not recognized by the other non-claiming countries.

Even the treaty is a form of claim, claiming that man can go there and do investigations. Scientific investigations can amount to anything these days if they are being paid enough.

• Like 2

By claims it is meant of territorial sovereignty claims.

Just stating what the treaty has.

http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/antarct/anttrty.jsp

• Like 2

By claims it is meant of territorial sovereignty claims.

Just stating what the treaty has.

http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/antarct/anttrty.jsp

i know you were just stating it, and i am pleased you did because it highlights mans hypocrisy. Guaranteed that if one of those "scientists' discovered something worthy to man, there would soon be a rush to who has claim.

• Like 2

Now why in the heck would man want to claim ownership of something he can not even live on when he already has his own country? it belongs to nature. the penguins and seals...

lets see if the world leaders tell Chile that they can not do claim ownership, or maybe the "research" being carried out will involve many other countries too!!

The reason that nations would claim it is because there are trillions of dollars of minerals and oil underneath the soil.

The climate is changing and ice is melting. Eventually it will be ice free and it will be unexplored and the real estate will be claimed by the strongest, just like always.

The South Pole also has some unusual characteristics with electronic waves that don't exist else where. There are many sites that have been blurred out by Google. There must be a good reason.

Check out a map of the Antarctic. Many nations have laid claims to the real estate, not just the US.

• Like 2

The reason that nations would claim it is because there are trillions of dollars of minerals and oil underneath the soil.

The climate is changing and ice is melting. Eventually it will be ice free and it will be unexplored and the real estate will be claimed by the strongest, just like always.

The South Pole also has some unusual characteristics with electronic waves that don't exist else where. There are many sites that have been blurred out by Google. There must be a good reason.

Check out a map of the Antarctic. Many nations have laid claims to the real estate, not just the US.

Thankyou, exactly.

i know you were just stating it, and i am pleased you did because it highlights mans hypocrisy. Guaranteed that if one of those "scientists' discovered something worthy to man, there would soon be a rush to who has claim.

I would not be surprised by this either.

Your right let them find oil or something else of value with the ice melting and there will be many claims to this place. With global warming someday the pole areas may be the only place left that isn't too hot to live.
  • Like 1

Your right let them find oil or something else of value with the ice melting and there will be many claims to this place. With global warming someday the pole areas may be the only place left that isn't too hot to live.

Actually, looking a bit more, seems all exploitation of mineral resources is banned until 2048 by the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty, when the treaty is up for review.

Actually, looking a bit more, seems all exploitation of mineral resources is banned until 2048 by the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty, when the treaty is up for review.

Something is being researched there, but not being able to exploit the mineral resources surely means that they know minerals are there? Would like to know what they are exploiting researching in the mean time?

As of April 2010, 16 additional nations (Brazil, Bulgaria, China, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, India, Italy, Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine, and Uruguay) have achieved consultative status by acceding to the Treaty and by conducting substantial scientific research in Antarctica. Russia carries forward the signatory privileges and responsibilities established by the former Soviet Union.

My thought is along if they know there is a chance the treaty may not be renewed, it would be beneficial to have some facilities already there in that event.

Do you have a flag?

Nibs

ScottBaseSealPenguinPatch.jpg

ScottBaseSealPenguinPatch.jpg

It was a reference to an Eddie Izzard joke. :)

Nibs

• Like 1

It was a reference to an Eddie Izzard joke. :)

[media=]

[/media]

Nibs

Thankyou, never seen it before. :tu: How right is he....much. :tsu:

Too cold for me. I'll stay with the tropical dolphins.

But when someone finds a huge, retrievable oil deposit underneath, I'm sure things will change.

well maybe world war 3 is about people trying to conquer antartica. i think though sometime we will have to make a home made land structure on the ocean of antartica when it melts though that way penguins can live and polar bears can live as well my opionion. :w00t: