Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thailands Widow Ghost

Simbi Laveau

I came across this today .

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/331297/red-shirts-keep-ghost-away

Ten men in small village,die suddenly .Some in their sleep,some while just walking .All were strong and healthy ,so a widow ghost is suspected .

"A spirit medium hired by the villagers said the "widow ghost", or pee mae mai, also known locally as the lai thai (sudden unexpected death syndrome) spirit, was responsible for their demise."

They claim to have a medical explanation ,but it doesn't seem to be common outside of northern Thailand .

It also doesn't affect anyone but full grown,healthy men .

Your guess is as good as mine .

But I have never heard of this before,so I looked around,and found some background .

Some men even put lipstick or nail polish on ,so the ghost thinks they are female,as this seems to only happen to men .Or they leave a male doll outside their home,so the ghost takes the doll instead .

I have never heard of this kind of death,in the USA or Europe .Has anyone ?

http://www.thaizer.com/culture-shock/widow-ghosts-and-the-spirits-of-lai-thai/

This article,from 1990,says men died of the same thing ,in Malaysia and Singapore ,as well.

I dont think they have such folklore though .

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-05-09/news/9002070306_1_rural-thai-thai-workers-embarrassed-thai

Thailand has some very creepy ghost folklore ,if no one knows about it. Their magick is also pretty out there .

Thai horror uses many of these concepts .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMfIQDQaono

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

This is a strange occurrence and I have never heard of it in the US. I have a few theories on this. There is some sort of virus that only effects young men, something that is consumed or their unusual practices draws these type of spirits.

• Like 1

Autopsy might provide a clue........

Small rural areas have no means. To be honest ,it sounds like poison to me .

It says that some of the men did not show any sign of sickness, in which case obviously many did.

To me it sounds like an outbreak some sort of nasty acute respiratory illness.

2 things to note are that the deaths of elderly and those known to be sick wouldn't have made the news so the illness may not have been confined to young men and there are serious infections (e.g. meningitis) that mainly infect the young and otherwise healthy.

Edited by Archimedes

This must be a cultural thing. In the 90's my roomate from Laos told a similar tale. Another common haunting over there is the unquiet ghosts of mothers who died in childbirth forever crying out for thier children.

• Like 1

Im still up for hire for spiritual cleansing. I get attacked by spirits all the time. trying to take over the mind of myseelf or others trying to keep there full of peace on peoples heads, Haunting scenes. Ext Ext. They fight me they die. Theres no law abiding otherwise.

It says that some of the men did not show any sign of sickness, in which case obviously many did.

To me it sounds like an outbreak some sort of nasty acute respiratory illness.

2 things to note are that the deaths of elderly and those known to be sick wouldn't have made the news so the illness may not have been confined to young men and there are serious infections (e.g. meningitis) that mainly infect the young and otherwise healthy.

Some airborn illnesses can cause abstract mind condolences. So having the same diseases and it being respiratory does make more sense than a widowed spirit.. even if the airborn illness could be the remnants of an insane condolence mind abstracting widow.

wow that sucks poor people!i believe in the paranormal and supernatural and the related but at the same time i do use technology and a little some science to describe or aleast see whether something has a normal explaination or if its truly paranormal and supernatural and etc.its always good ro see if something has a normal reason or explanation to something if you can't then you have something out of the ordinary.im not a skeptic but technology is useful because to prvent from being deceived or fooled and etc from people trying to get attention or etc.but try and get the ghost on video and post on youtube guys so i could see it and other people too around the world.keep me updated

• Like 1

wow that sucks poor people!i believe in the paranormal and supernatural and the related but at the same time i do use technology and a little some science to describe or aleast see whether something has a normal explaination or if its truly paranormal and supernatural and etc.its always good ro see if something has a normal reason or explanation to something if you can't then you have something out of the ordinary.im not a skeptic but technology is useful because to prvent from being deceived or fooled and etc from people trying to get attention or etc.but try and get the ghost on video and post on youtube guys so i could see it and other people too around the world.keep me updated

You say get the ghost on video. Theres tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of different mediums of faded images/ and or people... so honestly.. In my skepticism. It defeats the purpose.

An by hire me im always and still am talking bout free. For the people who think im a joke.. People dont see my aspect though i suppose.

Edited by KainFall
  • Like 1

In the biblical days, when the Jews were in Egypt,and the 'Passover' occurred,the first born(of every family) were the ones that were to go into the grain houses to get the wheat granted to them in the days of drought etc. What they didn't know was that they were exposed to an airborne fungus that was present in the stored wheat.When the passover occurred,the firstborn were exposed & would have inhaled this toxin & surely would have succumbed to the effects.The blessings that would have followed,being that the Jewish believers posted the blood of the lamb on their doorposts might have saved many of the Egyptians if they believed. In this story today,maybe these men were victims of something else rather than a supernatural cause & that there is a pattern of behaviour that corresponds to the recent mortality rates.

Edited by GirlfromOz
  • Like 1

In the biblical days, when the Jews were in Egypt,and the 'Passover' occurred,the first born(of every family) were the ones that were to go into the grain houses to get the wheat granted to them in the days of drought etc. What they didn't know was that they were exposed to an airborne fungus that was present in the stored wheat.When the passover occurred,the firstborn were exposed & would have inhaled this toxin & surely would have succumbed to the effects that would have been counteracted by the supernatural prayers & healing from the Father's believers.Knowing this,I would assume that,with the biblical prophecies that occurred in the past,the habits of the peoples of today in this geographical position,would also have a similar theme.Maybe these men were victims of something else rather than a supernatural cause.

Like a cultist act... Thats the kind of stuff that tends to not be shared with us due to psychological Safety. Background storys.

Some airborn illnesses can cause abstract mind condolences.
Uh.... what?

There is one Google hit for "abstract mind condolence" or "abstract mind condolences", this thread. What on earth does that phrase mean and what does it have to do with airborne illnesses?

• Like 1

Dear Kainfall! I believe in God,the Power almighty,Maker of Heaven & earth & in Jesus Christ,His only Son, Our Lord,who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,born of the Virgin Mary,suffered under Pontias Pilate,was crucified,dead & buried!On the third day he rose from the dead & ascended into Heaven & sitteth on the right hand of god!

Edited by GirlfromOz

The biblical stories correspond to the related stories.Due to your psycholical safety & reasoning behind the facts,

the stories behind the reasoning correspond.

Dear Kainfall! I believe in God,the Power almighty,Maker of Heaven & earth & in Jesus Christ,His only Son, Our Lord,who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,born of the Virgin Mary,suffered under Pontias Pilate,was crucified,dead & buried!On the third day he rose from the dead & ascended into Heaven & sitteth on the right hand of God!

Prove it. :P

Uh.... what?

There is one Google hit for "abstract mind condolence" or "abstract mind condolences", this thread. What on earth does that phrase mean and what does it have to do with airborne illnesses?

Rabies would be a good example of an airborn illness that causes Abstract Mind Condolences...

My bad.. Rabies isnt airborn... But i think its a fair example to a broader explanation to things.

Edited by KainFall

Dear Kainfall! I believe in God,the Power almighty,Maker of Heaven & earth & in Jesus Christ,His only Son, Our Lord,who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,born of the Virgin Mary,suffered under Pontias Pilate,was crucified,dead & buried!On the third day he rose from the dead & ascended into Heaven & sitteth on the right hand of God!

We are gods children are we not... Lucifer and "Jesus Christ" Were apperently GODS chosen "disciples" But the devil had other things in mind.. honestly I still believe that im a tripper in time and that all the memorys and fabrics of reality lye within the mind.. The storys a dud.. Basically its just a pathway to enlightenment and telling everyone to at least please straighten up...

also idk if you uknow what your talking bout.> Id be scared if jesus was buried and then came alive... buut uuh.. yeh. the no tripping story.. Everything coaligns and has a sense to be made.. I suppose.. But we are all considerably insane..

Edited by KainFall

This must be a cultural thing. In the 90's my roomate from Laos told a similar tale. Another common haunting over there is the unquiet ghosts of mothers who died in childbirth forever crying out for thier children.

Lots of this,all over Asia .less developed countries ,its more of a spooky thing .

Since Japan's main form of birth control is abortion,there's a god just for the souls of aborted babies ,and they do small homages to calm their souls ,especially on o bon .

someone please keep me updated yeah.ill keep myself as updated as possible but it would be great and nice if someone else could help me as well to keep me updated as well that is:)my email is KingReaper1260@hotmail.com

Lets be logical for a minute, just because no one can see any obvious physical reason for why they may have died, doesn't mean there isn't a medical reason. Did all of the deceased have anything in common? Did they go to any of the same places, see the same people, eat the same food, ect..

They would need to do a full autopsy to find out the cause of death. This reminds me of the dark ages when people didn't understand why something happened so they assigned words like ghosts, devil, god, ect.. to it since they had no other way to explain it.

Lets be logical for a minute, just because no one can see any obvious physical reason for why they may have died, doesn't mean there isn't a medical reason. Did all of the deceased have anything in common? Did they go to any of the same places, see the same people, eat the same food, ect..

They would need to do a full autopsy to find out the cause of death. This reminds me of the dark ages when people didn't understand why something happened so they assigned words like ghosts, devil, god, ect.. to it since they had no other way to explain it.

Theres also the once every 75 years comet... Than comes between the earth and the moon... That can also cause medical issues to Some People.. whether airborn or not.. Honestly. Wheres the true science in everything..