Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

something in the sky

MissJatti

It was two summers ago, it was a pretty hot day. me and my wife with 2 kids were out in the British country side, for a walk. We came to a very dry grass land area. we noticed a person was enjoying himself on a motorized type glider over head, in the skies. It did a big 360 degrees circle and disappeared into the horizon. After a few minutes, it came back, did a circle and done. This kept happening through out our walk. This was something new for our kids, but nothing for us adults... But there was this one time, where 2 gliders were in the air. My wife and kids were watching the one doing the circle, at the same time I heard the other glider somewhere behind us, I looked around and noticed the another glider was behind us higher in the sky, I turned my full body around to try to look at the glider behind us and trying to focus my sight, but instead for focusing on the glider, I noticed a really long thin flying insect type, about 20-25 meters above my head, in the air. It flew from a distance, right above our heads, and into the direction we was walking in, flying in a straight line. The characterization of flight was more like a dart, a straight line dart. I tried to call out to my wife, but I could not, due to me being mesmerized. My initial thought were of some sort of super dragonfly, (if one actually existed.) I raced down to the direction, that it went to, hoping to see it in the nearby flower or plants, but to no avail.

When the event happened, the sun was almost on top of us, so I could not make out of the wings or any distinctive features. But it moved very quick. First I did not see it, then I saw it while I was focusing on the glider behind us, over our heads it went, and by the time I spun my body around, too see it went, after it passed our heads, it was gone, no where to be seen.

There were dragonflies in the area at that time, but the one I saw was very long to be an ordinary dragonfly.

I rarely tell people of my experiences that I do not understand myself, and I do put logic before anything else.

But I saw a TV program, about RODS.

"Rods" (sometimes known as "skyfish" or "solar entities") is a term used in cryptozoology, ufology, and outdoor photography to refer to elongated artifacts in the form of light-rods produced by cameras. Videos of rod-shaped objects moving quickly through the air were claimed by some Ufologists and cryptozoologists to be alien life forms, "extradimensional" creatures, or very small UFOs. Subsequent experiments showed that these rods appear in film because of an optical illusion/collusion (especially in interlaced videorecording), and are typically traces of a flying insect's wingbeats.

​Once the program was over, I was truly convinced, that one that day in the countryside, what I saw was an optical illusion.. Really long, thin, as fast as 100mph insect.

After a few minutes of being so convinced, that something was out of the ordinary. I noticed I had no camera/video camera, when I saw it flying over our heads. I saw it with my own naked eyes.

So then I went on and did a bit of research on dragonflies.. The longest dragonfly in Britain, is the Golden Ringed Dragonfly. The female of the Golden Ring Dragon's length reaches to about 8.4cm. 8.4cm is no where near to what I saw, I can safely say, the length I saw was roughly about 20cm.

I really dont know why I keep referring to what I saw to a dragonfly, maybe because the logical answer is simply a dragonfly.

• Like 1

That is a strange thing to see. So if you can see something like that with your eyes maybe at least some of the ones caught on film could be real. I think there are still mysteries that need to be solved.

It was two summers ago, it was a pretty hot day. me and my wife with 2 kids were out in the British country side, for a walk. We came to a very dry grass land area. we noticed a person was enjoying himself on a motorized type glider over head, in the skies. It did a big 360 degrees circle and disappeared into the horizon. After a few minutes, it came back, did a circle and done. This kept happening through out our walk. This was something new for our kids, but nothing for us adults... But there was this one time, where 2 gliders were in the air. My wife and kids were watching the one doing the circle, at the same time I heard the other glider somewhere behind us, I looked around and noticed the another glider was behind us higher in the sky, I turned my full body around to try to look at the glider behind us and trying to focus my sight, but instead for focusing on the glider, I noticed a really long thin flying insect type, about 20-25 meters above my head, in the air. It flew from a distance, right above our heads, and into the direction we was walking in, flying in a straight line. The characterization of flight was more like a dart, a straight line dart. I tried to call out to my wife, but I could not, due to me being mesmerized. My initial thought were of some sort of super dragonfly, (if one actually existed.) I raced down to the direction, that it went to, hoping to see it in the nearby flower or plants, but to no avail.

When the event happened, the sun was almost on top of us, so I could not make out of the wings or any distinctive features. But it moved very quick. First I did not see it, then I saw it while I was focusing on the glider behind us, over our heads it went, and by the time I spun my body around, too see it went, after it passed our heads, it was gone, no where to be seen.

There were dragonflies in the area at that time, but the one I saw was very long to be an ordinary dragonfly.

I rarely tell people of my experiences that I do not understand myself, and I do put logic before anything else.

But I saw a TV program, about RODS.

"Rods" (sometimes known as "skyfish" or "solar entities") is a term used in cryptozoology, ufology, and outdoor photography to refer to elongated artifacts in the form of light-rods produced by cameras. Videos of rod-shaped objects moving quickly through the air were claimed by some Ufologists and cryptozoologists to be alien life forms, "extradimensional" creatures, or very small UFOs. Subsequent experiments showed that these rods appear in film because of an optical illusion/collusion (especially in interlaced videorecording), and are typically traces of a flying insect's wingbeats.

​Once the program was over, I was truly convinced, that one that day in the countryside, what I saw was an optical illusion.. Really long, thin, as fast as 100mph insect.

After a few minutes of being so convinced, that something was out of the ordinary. I noticed I had no camera/video camera, when I saw it flying over our heads. I saw it with my own naked eyes.

So then I went on and did a bit of research on dragonflies.. The longest dragonfly in Britain, is the Golden Ringed Dragonfly. The female of the Golden Ring Dragon's length reaches to about 8.4cm. 8.4cm is no where near to what I saw, I can safely say, the length I saw was roughly about 20cm.

I really dont know why I keep referring to what I saw to a dragonfly, maybe because the logical answer is simply a dragonfly.

Thank you for sharing your fascinating encounter. I believe you saw something other than a dragonfly. I immediately thought of a similar story, which I'll try to locate....ah! Here it is Green glowing .....
I know no one is going to believe me, but about 3 years ago, i worked and lived in a pub, bare in mind i do not drink, or do drugs, i was on the roof having a cig,(i guess nicotine is a drug but yeah..) i saw a little green glowing thing, that if i ever talk about it, i call it a big moth, because i dont want people to think im insane, lol. it was about the size of my palm. i saw it half peeked out from behind the chimney, and then stopped and looked at it whilst the blood drain from my face in shock. it went back behind the chimney, and then whilst im thinking...did that just happen, it peeked out again, and then flew away in diagonal up to the sky. i have never seen a moth or a bird fly this fast, there was no apparent wings, and it flew in a straight line to were ever it was going. i waited for a while to see if it maybe would come back. but it didnt.

i know your thinking....green and glowing.....nahhhhh, but seriously, it had its on light source. was a really vivid green, and i have never forgotten any detail from this. it was actully like it was looking at me, and like it was scared i had seen it, the way it peeped out from behind the chimney, before flying off at high speed.

i have always tried to convince myself it was some kind of moth, that i have never heard of. or the biggest firefly ever. the town is quite light at night, so moth would fit, but why would a moth with its own light chill out on a chimney??

i just want to know if anyone has ever heard anything like this. its weird i look up stuff all the time since that, ufos, cow mutilations, myths, legends, weird animals, and unknown creatures, but have never come across anything like that. any ideas would be helpful, unless all you have to say is little green men. cus it waws not a man, men cant fly. cheers for reading!

?

??

??

I was expecting a note of congratulation for the effort I went to to locate a similar story. Is there a problem?

I was expecting a note of congratulation for the effort I went to to locate a similar story. Is there a problem?

no problem, just wondered why the question mark lol

no problem, just wondered why the question mark lol

Do you have an opinion on the story I provided which seems to have a connection with your own sighting of a giant flying insect-like entity? Edited by Rewlahool

No I do not... I mean the person who saw the big moth could have misinterpreted what he saw. One thing I can say.... There are many unknown mysteries in this world, also they are many unknown mysteries regarding the human mind

Edited by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart

No I do not... I mean the person who saw the big moth could have misinterpreted what he saw. One thing I can say.... There are many unknown mysteries in this world, also they are many unknown mysteries regarding the human mind

ok

Do you have an opinion on the story I provided which seems to have a connection with your own sighting of a giant flying insect-like entity?

It was dog man wasn't it?