Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US to stop using 'naked scanners'

Still Waters

The US aviation security agency will stop screening travellers with scanners that show travellers' naked images, amid widespread privacy complaints.

Scanner maker Rapiscan had been ordered to make its software function without screeners having to view naked images.

But Rapiscan was to be unable to meet a June deadline to make the updates, the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said.

The kit is to be replaced with scanners that show hidden objects on an avatar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-21088811

• Like 2

I am really glad to see something new that works better

• Like 1

Bummer - I love going through those things, looking at the hot little TSA agent and being like "Yeah, baby, you like that ****?"

But... What about all those terrorists?!

You mean the ones the TSA has caught? I thought they were imaginary.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/18/travel/tsa-body-scanners/index.html?c=us

Was going to post this but I see I was beaten to it. Its one step closer to having dignity returned to the American people.

Some years back and probably still today, Michael Chertoff was a major player in the company who sold those machines to the government.

Is that just back-scratching, or is it something more? :cry:

I think that the next time civil aviation is attacked in the US it will be done with spectacular effect. No hijacking, this - but a national fleet grounding loss of multiple aircraft from cargo explosions. It cannot be stopped if a concerted effort is made and a small percentage of air cargo is screened in any way. If it goes in the belly of the plane it has a good chance of going undetected. I think these types of attacks are held in reserve as retaliation. The scanners were a sick joke and an embarrassment to the people and the government. Explosives scanners for cargo is a much better use of the money.

You mean the ones the TSA has caught? I thought they were imaginary.

Exactly. This whole concept of terrorism isn't all that big, I'd anything, the reason for the increase of threat level is from invadin other countries. Other than that, the threat of being attacked on the street and such is a much bigger threat to te US populace than terrorism. So ask yourself why has the media and government exploded this apparent threat.

Exactly. This whole concept of terrorism isn't all that big, I'd anything, the reason for the increase of threat level is from invadin other countries. Other than that, the threat of being attacked on the street and such is a much bigger threat to te US populace than terrorism. So ask yourself why has the media and government exploded this apparent threat.

To take away civil liberties and install a police state?

How many terrorists were caught by the scanners over the years they were used ? Now we will give them away to less rich areas. Its called repurposing.

I read about this a couple of days ago in the news. It's a step in the right direction. It's not perfect, but at least we're not going backward in terms of security.

The backscatter scanners are going away and that's of key importance. Those are the machines that use Xrays. (they look like two black boxes that you stand between). These machines were of great concern to people who have gone through cancer therapy etc... and were suspected of causing an unusually high number of cancer incidents in Boston among the TSA clerks who operated them (Logan has had them for over 10 years, unlike most airports who have had them for roughly 3 years). Additionally it sounds like they were never able to retrofit them with the avatar software. I have to say I'm happy about that.

The ones you'll see at the airports now are hte ones that look like shower stalls. Those are millimeter wave which work using a type of radio wave and are more widely believed to be 100% safe. No radiation involved at all. Even people like me who hate these scanning machines generally agree that there is no health risk with the millimeter wave scanners.

I have to say that after June when all the backscatter scanners are gone, and the millimeter wave machines are in place with avatar software, I might start flying again! It's not perfect, I still HATE the scope and grope mentality and the TSA, but I might start flying again now. Maybe.

Edited by MissMelsWell