Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roman ceramic 'gaming pieces' were loo roll

Still Waters

Ancient artefacts thought to be early gaming pieces will have to be reclassified after new research which claims they were actually used to wipe bottoms.

The flat, disc-shaped Roman relics have been in the collection at Fishbourne Roman Palace in Chichester, West Sussex, since the Sixties.

Up until now museum experts thought the items were used for early games like draughts, but an article in the British Medical Journal has now proposed that they have a very different function.

http://www.dailymail...t-loo-roll.html

:blush::unsure2::whistle::w00t: Now THAT is a tough lot!
  • Like 1

It had been thought that they were chips used to play an ancient game, also known as 'pessoi', but research published last month in the BMJ drew from classical sources to present evidence that they were also used to clean up after going to the toilet.

Wait, what?

• Like 1

"According to Professor Charlier's article, the Greeks and Romans even inscribed some of their pessoi with the names of their enemies or others they didn't like.

Thus everytime they went to the toilet they would literally be wiping their faecal matter on the names of hated individuals."

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

"According to Professor Charlier's article, the Greeks and Romans even inscribed some of their pessoi with the names of their enemies or others they didn't like.

Thus everytime they went to the toilet they would literally be wiping their faecal matter on the names of hated individuals."

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

This makes complete sense for the Romans ,given they did stuff like this with certain spells .

There are modern spells ,that definitely are distant ancestors of these rites .

There are spells that come to mind when I read this actually ...

ahem ....

Haha check out the photo of Dr. Symmons from the article!

2013011840pessoi.jpg

He's so proud :w00t:

Edit: Fixed link.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

Remember the three sea shells in Demolition Man?

3shells.jpg

No,but I can see you sure did. Very Freudian OS

*runs away giggling*

• Like 3

"Uncomfortable" is one thing. What I wonder is... were these one-use or recyclable?

That is one of the things I dislike about having to go to the States sometimes; they force you to use toilet paper. A simple sprayer or of course one of the modern toilets that does it all from inside the bowl, or even a bidet, is much cleaner, doesn't require the destruction of trees, is much easier on the sewerage system and is more comfortable (especially for those with handicaps and the obese).

I provide toilet paper in my house for those who feel they need to dry themselves after spraying, but I think this unnecessary.

That is one of the things I dislike about having to go to the States sometimes; they force you to use toilet paper. A simple sprayer or of course one of the modern toilets that does it all from inside the bowl, or even a bidet, is much cleaner, doesn't require the destruction of trees, is much easier on the sewerage system and is more comfortable (especially for those with handicaps and the obese).

I provide toilet paper in my house for those who feel they need to dry themselves after spraying, but I think this unnecessary.

Frankly (couldn't help myself) have fun sharing toilet water splashing and "washing" your junk and exit with the amount of stds and homelesss people that travel the public toilet systems I suprised there isn't a free Hazmat Suit upon entry into most public toilets. Of coarse the romans didn't need to worry they could banish "tainted" people hahaha.

• Like 1

Well guys, paper was not yet invented and papyrus and parchment too expensive to wipe your behind with... now evidently they had to do it with something, right?

• Like 1

I am sure that the stones worked fine because they used them through the Greek period through the Roman Empire They did have an awful lot of rocks laying around over there on those lands

Leaves are much softer! Why not forest vegetation? That wouldn't wipe you clean, it would scrape you clean :P

Gee, were they all stupid?

Whats wrong with using pieces of cloth?

They could even be used several times, like baby nappies, if washed.

Hello, where it's the sprayer located if not in the toilet bowl? Does it get sanitized after each use? I can't imagine putting my panties back on with a wet butt after spraying. Sounds uncomfortable and not very sanitary.

I'm not judging, just wondering because I'm American although no one forces me to use toilet paper, I have a choice and I choose to use it... ;)

• Like 1

Leaves are much softer! Why not forest vegetation? That wouldn't wipe you clean, it would scrape you clean :P

Would you have liked to be the first person to put poison ivy on your anus!

" In a further humorous twist, it is thought that some Romans would have etched the names of people they didn't like on to a disk before using it."

b****y.

Hello, where it's the sprayer located if not in the toilet bowl?

Sometimes in the seat, sometimes on the side where you spray manually.
Does it get sanitized after each use? I can't imagine putting my panties back on with a wet butt after spraying. Sounds uncomfortable and not very sanitary.
Obviously you don't understand; it's much more sanitary than putting things up your butt -- the only thing that touches you is fresh water. Some of the more high-class units come with air driers, but I always saw that as wasting power. It only takes a second or so and you are dry enough.

It is especially good for the obese and people with handicaps that prevent their reaching back there. It also saves money and effort keeping the paper available, and is much less a strain on the sewage system.

Sometimes in the seat, sometimes on the side where you spray manually.Obviously you don't understand; it's much more sanitary than putting things up your butt -- the only thing that touches you is fresh water. Some of the more high-class units come with air driers, but I always saw that as wasting power. It only takes a second or so and you are dry enough.

It is especially good for the obese and people with handicaps that prevent their reaching back there. It also saves money and effort keeping the paper available, and is much less a strain on the sewage system.

Hmm thanks.

I've never seen one,.you're right about that.

• 2 weeks later...

in the article it says that the romans had the most sophisticated toilets in the ancient world, with designs that were lost for hundreds of years after.

when skara brae was excavated in the 1920's, they found a toilet in every home, that was kept clean by a constant flow of running seawater that formed an extremely effective sewage disposal system. skara brae is over five thousand years old, and a MUCH better system than the roman one. after all, crapping through a hole into a pit isn't all that 'sophisticated'.

proof again the scots invented just about everything worth inventing.....

• Like 1