Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anglers demand seal be shot

Still Waters

Furious fishermen have called for a confused seal to be shot after it strayed from the sea and swam up the river Severn.

Anglers say that the seal, which was nicknamed Keith before being identified as a female, is a 'marine predator' that is eating all their fish stocks and should be shot by a sniper if it does not swim back downstream.

But fans of the adorable-looking seal, which has been swimming around the waterways of Worcestershire for two months, have set up a petition to protect the seal.

http://www.dailymail...ver-Severn.html

:o:hmm: There's probably dozens of Anglers who fish that river all an ave of 5'6 or so and happily taking fish from the river. Yet they are claiming one lone seal approx four foot long is taking THEIR fish. FGS this is ridiculous, it's just one seal, surely there are enough fish to share with one lonely little seal?

These guys need to take a good hard look at themselves. Selfish and narcissistic springs to mind. <_<

• Like 7

:o:hmm: There's probably dozens of Anglers who fish that river all an ave of 5'6 or so and happily taking fish from the river. Yet they are claiming one lone seal approx four foot long is taking THEIR fish. <_<

Yup it wasn't overfishing that depleted the cod stocks in the Atlantic, it was seals. Which makes it then necessary to cull the seals.

Convenient no?

• Like 3

Ah yes, destroy a beautiful seal for eating what its supposed to in order to survive. Morons. :td:

• Like 5

They are blaming one seal because they can't catch fish, how convenient of an excuse. Either that or its the biggest seal in history.

• Like 5

Anglers/hunters annoy me so much, in case you forgot guys, the animals were here BEFORE YOU! It is not 'your' fish, you do not own the planet Earth and everything on it, just because you have had the opportunity of being born here does not entitle you to claim everything as yours! ‘I am very worried as it has started taking ducks and waterfowl and soon will start attacking swans and maybe dogs swimming.’ Oh don't be so stupid, start attacking dogs... These people are the most melodramatic, same as the NRA in the USA, causing such a scene when they're precious guns are going to be taken away... Hypocrites and drama queens the lot of them.

• Like 4

"Anglers/hunters annoy me so much"

Amen to that one.

• Like 2

Just gone ahead and signed the petition not to destroy this little lady seal. Absolutely stupid to shoot a seal for simply feeding.....

• Like 3

Anglers/hunters annoy me so much, in case you forgot guys, the animals were here BEFORE YOU! It is not 'your' fish, you do not own the planet Earth and everything on it, just because you have had the opportunity of being born here does not entitle you to claim everything as yours!

Sounds like "Deep ecology is a contemporary ecological philosophy distinguished by its advocacy of the inherent worth of living beings regardless of their instrumental utility to human needs."

‘I am very worried as it has started taking ducks and waterfowl and soon will start attacking swans and maybe dogs swimming.’ Oh don't be so stupid, start attacking dogs... These people are the most melodramatic, same as the NRA in the USA, causing such a scene when they're precious guns are going to be taken away... Hypocrites and drama queens the lot of them.

Two different topics, NRA stuff is in the Conspiracy forum.

• Like 1

"Anglers/hunters annoy me so much"

Amen to that one.

I fish, and I used to hunt. I buy a license, and tags for Salmon. That money goes towards saving Salmon, and the hatcheries that are putting more Salmon in the ocean.

You people obviously have no clue who and what is helping wildlife and fish to get stronger numbers.

I hate ignorant people......

Edited by Sakari

I just don't like hunting of any kind. Never have never will. If you're saving salmon then good for you. Keep it up.

• Like 1

I just don't like hunting of any kind. Never have never will. If you're saving salmon then good for you. Keep it up.

Hunters and Anglers, buy purchasing tags and licenses are saving animals and fish. All of that money goes to the States Fish and Wildlife Management Departments. Without this, there would be no fish or animals left.

If you want to stop the fish ( Salmon, Tuna, Etc. ) populations from going down like they are, stop eating fish. It is the commercial fishing that is killing them off.

On topic, I do know on the Oregon, California, Washington, and Alaskan coasts and rivers, seals and sea lions are a problem. They are over populated. They are also protected. I have witnessed many times anglers fighting a Salmon, and a seal grab the fish ripping out its belly, or head back. They actually wait for anglers to have a fish on, instead of hunting themselves, it is easier for them. Personally, I would never hurt one, but I guarantee if this were in any river system in the places I named, the seal would end up dead. They do eat a lot, not enough to destroy all of the fish, although the populations are getting lower every year do to commercial fishing.

I guarantee, this seal will end up dead. Not saying I agree with this, but it will happen.

And, out of curiousity, do you eat meat?

Edited by Sakari

No I do not eat meat, used to but then saw just how meat was processed, it saddened me. But if you're doing something positive then I can't argue and I can only hope the seal doesn't end up dead.

Hunters and Anglers are saving animals and fish.

Remind me how killing something is saving them? Do they somehow kill them, then eat them/hang their hides and heads on the wall as a sign to everybody who visits to show how much of a manly man they are, and then resurrect them from the dead and put them back where they found them with no harm done?

No Sakari, I think the word you were looking for is 'killing', not 'saving'. 'Hunters and anglers are killing animals and fish' - yep, that sounds about right. :yes:

• Like 2

Remind me how killing something is saving them? Do they somehow kill them, then eat them/hang their hides and heads on the wall as a sign to everybody who visits to show how much of a manly man they are, and then resurrect them from the dead and put them back where they found them with no harm done?

No Sakari, I think the word you were looking for is 'killing', not 'saving'. 'Hunters and anglers are killing animals and fish' - yep, that sounds about right. :yes:

You are very ignorant on this topic.

Have you read any of my previous replies?

Here is one State, and this is the same for all.....

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation is the state agency responsible for managing fish and wildlife. The Wildlife Department receives no general state tax appropriations and is supported by hunting and fishing license fees and special taxes through the Wildlife & Sport Fish Restoration Program on sporting equipment and motorboat fuels paid by anglers, boaters hunters and recreational shooters.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/

Southwick Associates’ Rob Southwick notes that states must dedicate 100 percent of license revenues to fish and wildlife management or risk losing their share of federal fish and wildlife restoration excise tax revenues. In 2007, nearly $350 million was allocated for fisheries and $267 million for wildlife and hunter education.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1001308473

There are a couple facts for you, if you can still not figure it out let me know.........

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation is the state agency responsible for managing fish and wildlife. The Wildlife Department receives no general state tax appropriations and is supported by hunting and fishing license fees and special taxes through the Wildlife & Sport Fish Restoration Program on sporting equipment and motorboat fuels paid by anglers, boaters hunters and recreational shooters.

Southwick Associates’ Rob Southwick notes that states must dedicate 100 percent of license revenues to fish and wildlife management or risk losing their share of federal fish and wildlife restoration excise tax revenues. In 2007, nearly $350 million was allocated for fisheries and $267 million for wildlife and hunter education.

No, I don't think you understand. I'm not talking about, and have never talked about, tax, money or license revenues. YOU brought that up. I couldn't care less about that - I'm saying to you when you kill something, you cannot also be at the same time 'saving it'. When you kill it, it is dead - it cannot come back to life. You cannot state that hunters/anglers are saving animals when they are killing them.

If you can still not figure it out let me know....

You cannot state that hunters/anglers are saving animals when they are killing them.

Over population, disease, loss of habitat, water trofts, over fishing......And many more. Are just a few examples of why legal and tracked hunting and fishing is what keeps these animals on our planet.

Without hunters and fisherman ( more on the hunters if you ask me ) Deer, Elk, Moose, Coyote, Bear, Antelope, etc. would die off do to over population.

Anglers are funding the Governing bodies that enforce the laws to stop over fishing, and also establish quota's allowed, both hunting and fishing on that.

So, without quoting a butt load of things, and giving links as sources, yes, hunters and anglers are helping keep the fish and animals alive, even by killing some of them.

Back to topic....Is that seal still alive?

Anglers fish for sport,probably because they got no attention from their dads as kids,or they are deficient in some other area.

Nothing to do with needing food,or there are too many fish.....they just get off on beating or killing , some poor defenseless animal ,with a brain the size of a blueberry ,to feel good about life .

Nuff said.

• Like 1

wrong topic....deleted

Edited by Sakari

The same anglers that want cormorants, herons, anything else that lives on fish killed.

• Like 1

Over population, disease, loss of habitat, water trofts, over fishing......And many more. Are just a few examples of why legal and tracked hunting and fishing is what keeps these animals on our planet.

Without hunters and fisherman ( more on the hunters if you ask me ) Deer, Elk, Moose, Coyote, Bear, Antelope, etc. would die off do to over population.

Is that right?

Wow, good thing we have hunters and anglers saving all these species from extinction. Hooray for "wildlife management". It's also a good thing we have all these logging companies performing "forest management", or we'd have no trees either.

p.s. you forgot the all hard work trappers do to save the animals from extinction. Each year they trap around 4 million animals,

You guys rock! keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Is that right?

Wow, good thing we have hunters and anglers saving all these species from extinction. Hooray for "wildlife management". It's also a good thing we have all these logging companies performing "forest management", or we'd have no trees either.

p.s. you forgot the all hard work trappers do to save the animals from extinction. Each year they trap around 4 million animals,

You guys rock! keep up the good work.

Georgia Pacific, Coos Bay.....Deck Saw Operator. Just started 2 weeks ago, it is putting food on my families table, and keeping a roof over our heads. Also took me off of the unemployment payroll, I was only on for 2 weeks. Do you use paper plates, or any other wood product?....I am willing to bet you do.

As for trapping, I can not stand that, never did, never will. I also see no need to hunt things like Cougar, Bear, or Coyote. Deer, Elk, Antelope, Rabbit, and upland Birds, sure. Duck, Goose, and Turkey. I did forget Wild Bore.....

And, as I say, " Ignorance is Bliss ".....

We have people around like this called C.A.V.E. people...........Citizens against virtually everything

Georgia Pacific, Coos Bay.....Deck Saw Operator. Just started 2 weeks ago, it is putting food on my families table, and keeping a roof over our heads. Also took me off of the unemployment payroll, I was only on for 2 weeks.

I did not claim that logging did not economic advantages for people.

Do you use paper plates, or any other wood product?....I am willing to bet you do.

That's a tu quoque (look who's talking) fallacy.

As for trapping, I can not stand that, never did, never will.

I'm sure that the trappers think that they are "managing" wildlife too, and without them these fur bearing mammal populations would explode and cause grief.

I also see no need to hunt things like Cougar, Bear, or Coyote. Deer, Elk, Antelope, Rabbit, and upland Birds, sure. Duck, Goose, and Turkey. I did forget Wild Bore.....

What's your criteria for "harvesting" these animals? It seems arbitrary to me.

p.s. I saw the link to your memorial for Sakari. I have no doubt you are a decent person. I just wish you could expand your circle of compassion to other species as well.

• Like 1

They should release a polar bear into the river. He would make short work of that seal.

What's your criteria for "harvesting" these animals? It seems arbitrary to me.

p.s. I saw the link to your memorial for Sakari. I have no doubt you are a decent person. I just wish you could expand your circle of compassion to other species as well.

My Criteria....No hunting of Predators. ..... When I used to hunt ( been 15 years now ) I hunted Chukar, Elk, and Deer. The only reason why, I enjoy the taste of Chukar, Venison, and Elk. I know plenty of people whom still hunt, and eat the same thing, because they enjoy the taste. Elk is far better then beef.

I have compassion for all creatures, every single one of them. Just because I fish, and I used to hunt, does not mean I do not have compassion, I did then also. I never enjoyed the fact that I killed something, although I understood and was thankful for the food they were providing.

Thanks on Sakari, she was a gift for sure.