Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Really Strange Crying Thing

Miss Shadows

First and foremost, not seeking medical advice, blah blah blah. I don't think this is even a medical matter, as I have talked to more than one doctor about this, and there's a consensus this is something completely different/unrelated. Long story short I know a person who cries, a lot. It varies, but aside from the teary eyes you get in a movie or listening to sad songs, this person will cry maybe 2-10 hours a week. It's not that there aren't reasons for this crying, but the fact that it's not for some distinct, here and gone in 5 minutes reason, and the fact that I've never heard of this makes me wonder. This has been going on for more than 5 years, and I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard or read about anything similar? It's a matter of environmental causes, but having a state of sadness where someone can cry that much for this long seems odd to me.

Any insights? Feel free to post links if you've seen any pertinent articles around or anything.

I cry alot. I cry when I laugh and I cry when I'm sad. I cry when I'm relating an emotional story or news item or a happy exciting event. My eyes water up very easily and even if I'm not crying there is that gleam in them quite often. I've been told my uncle was the same and that it is just genetics. I've never seen a doctor and have only been bothered a handful of times in my life about it at all. Those who know me are mostly amused by it and play games to trigger a laughing/crying fit, those who do not get it, I just ignore. Fact is, if it's sad tears, when it's over there is no residual - I don't cry and go into morose depressions, I just carry on without the weight of the emotion that set me off, it's like it never was. Although if I get the giggles it can last for hours sporadically, I use a lot more tissues on those quite frankly.

Edit to add: The only advice I can offer is that you don't focus on it too much. If it is due to sadness just let it run it's course. If they are not clinically depressed chances are they will be ready for a good belly laugh in no time, change the topic and add some humour when they have settled - laughter is the best medicine.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

I cry regularly - once a month, when the farm accounts are checked! s8232.gif

• Like 4

How about instead of going about the situation from a medical perspective, you attempt to help her with whatever environmental issues she may have at the time. If that's resolved and she still does it, then it's much more plausable to go at it from a medical standpoint.

First and foremost, not seeking medical advice, blah blah blah. I don't think this is even a medical matter, as I have talked to more than one doctor about this, and there's a consensus this is something completely different/unrelated. Long story short I know a person who cries, a lot. It varies, but aside from the teary eyes you get in a movie or listening to sad songs, this person will cry maybe 2-10 hours a week. It's not that there aren't reasons for this crying, but the fact that it's not for some distinct, here and gone in 5 minutes reason, and the fact that I've never heard of this makes me wonder. This has been going on for more than 5 years, and I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard or read about anything similar? It's a matter of environmental causes, but having a state of sadness where someone can cry that much for this long seems odd to me.

Any insights? Feel free to post links if you've seen any pertinent articles around or anything.

Does this person have very weak lungs ,or asthma ?

Yes, this person does have lung issues. And in case it wasn't clear in the OP, I don't mean just short instances of crying, I mean sometimes crying for as much as hours a day, more days than not, for over 5 years. I don't know if that's significant, but I've just never heard of this before. I know 'why' this is going on essentially, but I don't really know what to think of it.

How about instead of going about the situation from a medical perspective, you attempt to help her with whatever environmental issues she may have at the time. If that's resolved and she still does it, then it's much more plausable to go at it from a medical standpoint.

Well the big issue here is that this person by nature is pretty much in the mellow median, but then at the same time there's been trauma after trauma, and even if most of those initial factors are gone, there's still a huge amount of sadness affecting this person. Again, this has been brought up with doctors but there's no real family history of depression or anything like that, and I really think it's not depression in the sense of a medical thing, but depression in the sense of things happened and some are still taking their toll on the heart, and it's not that this person is never happy, it's that she's just really really sad.

Yes, this person does have lung issues. And in case it wasn't clear in the OP, I don't mean just short instances of crying, I mean sometimes crying for as much as hours a day, more days than not, for over 5 years. I don't know if that's significant, but I've just never heard of this before. I know 'why' this is going on essentially, but I don't really know what to think of it.

I would tell her to see an acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist .

The issue is emotional ,affecting the physical. It may be of no consequence at this point in her life ,but as chronic as it is,it will eventually become a true health issue .

Western medicine has no protocol for this,as they dont believe its an issue . They would dx her with a psyche issue ,but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Anti depressants would probably compound the problem with undesirable medication side affects .

Just my take on it.

If trying that doesn't help,she can always see a doctor ,given its not a true health issue ....now anyway .

Her lungs will get weaker ,the longer it goes on,and can also eventually affect the heart and kidneys .