Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neanderthal to be born to surrogate mother?

Saru

Once they get absorbed into the world population they will probably make fantastic engineers and scientists and computer experts. They did have a significantly bigger brain on average then us.

I think they should but this on the back burner till it's proven that we can do this with other living things. Let's see some mammoths, thylacines and dodos first.

Silly question. Of course it would have to be a surrogate mother. If they were using an actual Neanderthal mother, there wouldn't be much point to all that cloning, would there?

If they're successful we are looking at the future president of the NRA.

Neanderthals did not have guns. I thought everyone knew that.

I think they should but this on the back burner till it's proven that we can do this with other living things. Let's see some mammoths, thylacines and dodos first.

I think they should not try it at all, no matter what animal.

• Like 1

Once they get absorbed into the world population they will probably make fantastic engineers and scientists and computer experts. They did have a significantly bigger brain on average then us.

maybe, but then so do elephants.

On the other side of the coin some Corvids have intelligence comparable with the great apes, depsite having a brain the size of a cherry. It's really more about structure than size...

There's a reason we out-competed them, probably hard to do if they were both tougher and more intelligent.

I think they should not try it at all, no matter what animal.

I wouldn't mind seeing some extinct creatures brought back.

probably a stupid thing to do, ..but that's never stopped us before. .. i'd be curious as to how little cloney would relate to us and our world and what 'he' could learn.

maybe, but then so do elephants.

On the other side of the coin some Corvids have intelligence comparable with the great apes, depsite having a brain the size of a cherry. It's really more about structure than size...

There's a reason we out-competed them, probably hard to do if they were both tougher and more intelligent.

It actually had to do with low fertility, if I remember right. There never was more then 50,000 neanderthals alive at any one time, and they inhabited Europe and the Near East of Asia. Their populations never did take off, probably they needed a lot of room for their form of hunter gatherer lifestyle. Modern humans simply had kids faster and a lot more of them. within a thousand years there would have been ten or twenty modern humans for every neanderthal. They simply got ground underfoot by shear numbers.

There is also speculation that modern humans learned many forms of thinking from the neanderthals. Specifically religion and art.

Edited by DieChecker

It actually had to do with low fertility, if I remember right. There never was more then 50,000 neanderthals alive at any one time, and they inhabited Europe and the Near East of Asia. Their populations never did take off, probably they needed a lot of room for their form of hunter gatherer lifestyle. Modern humans simply had kids faster and a lot more of them. within a thousand years there would have been ten or twenty modern humans for every neanderthal. They simply got ground underfoot by shear numbers.

There is also speculation that modern humans learned many forms of thinking from the neanderthals. Specifically religion and art.

I've heard a few hypotheses for why they died out, usually it's thought of as a combination of things. But I haven't heard low fertility put at the centre of things. Sounds feasible as a contributing factor though...

I'm wondering if with second bit you're talking about the relatively recent finding of some shells painted red with a mineral deposit from human settlements at the time, worn as jewellery, which seemed to also be a neanderthal tradition from the area that predated the human arrival. So the humans seem to have picked up the tradition of the painted shells from the 'thals. If that's what it is, it's interesting and shows some exchange, but it's a long way from 'learning many forms of thinking'. And for that matter humans had already developed religion, art, music, and a bunch of other cultural stuff in Africa long before migrations ever reached the Neanderthals.

Another thing to consider is that Neanderthals appear to have remained hunter gatherers for their entire 350,000 year + span without exception, whereas homo sapiens began making the transition to civilization from about 190,000 years in.

So, I'm not saying they definitely weren't smarter than us, but it doesn't seem like there's much reason to come to that conclusion.

I wouldn't mind seeing some extinct creatures brought back.

Species that were made extinct by man; I think that might be a cgood idea, rectifying some of the damage that humanity has caused; but I'm not sure about bringing back soem species that died out as a result of naturals selection. That really does sound like tampering with nature, as if we've decided that Nature got it wrong.

IF they do this and succeed,it would be totally unfair on the creature as it would be used for experimental purposes,but if and when it grows up it might hopefully rip their arms off.Governments should step in and BAN these experiments.What point are they trying to prove ?.

Species that were made extinct by man; I think that might be a cgood idea, rectifying some of the damage that humanity has caused; but I'm not sure about bringing back soem species that died out as a result of naturals selection. That really does sound like tampering with nature, as if we've decided that Nature got it wrong.

I think nature could get it "wrong" sometimes.

Even so, there are plenty that could be attributed to humans.

Hasn't this already been attempted?

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Entire Project Sponsored by:

GEICO_logo-300x180.jpg

geico_caveman_dolphinsgame1-383x575.jpg

Hasn't this already been attempted?

Naughty but funny

thblush.gif

• Like 1

IF they do this and succeed,it would be totally unfair on the creature as it would be used for experimental purposes,but if and when it grows up it might hopefully rip their arms off.Governments should step in and BAN these experiments.What point are they trying to prove ?.

Well, if it could rip the arms off someone, Governments might be interested in it. Imagine creating an army of Neathenderthals ... that'd scare the willies off Al Qaeada, surely.

• Like 1

Er, no ....... we wouldn't!

I don't know... I've wanted a compsognathus for years.

I don't know... I've wanted a compsognathus for years.

*googles*

okay, yeah, that's cool :D

dino_zps3a5095c1.png

*googles*

okay, yeah, that's cool :D

dino_zps3a5095c1.png

Holy crud! Is that compsognathus skateboarding past that cat?! Could you teach one to?

Holy crud! Is that compsognathus skateboarding past that cat?! Could you teach one to?

I don't see why not, they're the perfect shape for skateboarding, aren't they? Low centre of gravity, long tail for balance etc etc.

It's all a lie by the press, they misunderstood what he said in an interview. Read this article that shows he is not pursuing this project at all.

http://www.8newsnow....r-a-neanderthal

I thought he might have been taken out of context. It would just be way too hot from too many angles for politicians to go with it, and any scientist who wants to avoid a massive bashing wouldn't be making noises about that kinda project.