Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Werewolves of Wisconsin

UM-Bot

Paul Dale Roberts: Greg Posada and Eugene Pointer of Shawano County, Wisconsin called the paranormal hotline with their report of two werewolves seen near Grass Lake on January 9, 2013. They claim that these two creatures that appeared to be werewolves were definitely bi-pedal. One of the creatures had grayish hair, while the other had brownish hair. Both creatures had snouts. When the creatures were observed, they both seemed to be bent down drinking water from the lake. Eugene and Greg both claim that the creatures sniffed the air and then turned and looked at them.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

Ground sloth. Here is the skull of its closest modern relative :

http://digimorph.org...epus_hoffmanni/

I suggested that hypothesis here and there :

http://www.unexplain...opic=236784&hl=

http://www.unexplain...opic=236227&hl=

They can dig tunnels with their sturdy claws. That's why perhaps you can't find them during daylight.

It wasn't me I swear. To cold for me in Wisconsin. I like hunting in a warm place.

• Like 1

Uhhh, this maybe could have been believable but unfortunately I also live in WI in that area and that lake has been FROZEN over COMPLETELY for over a month and a HALF!!! This guy was so lazy that he probably thought this whole thing up from his couch without ever even bothering to go and take a actual look at the lake! I'd also have to say that this completely throws out his sighting of a UFO right afterwards...

• Like 1

Real wolves are around , but ya this story does seem to have a smell all it's own. My opinion of course.

I should've added those beasts are known as capelobos in Latin America, which translates as something like "Bull wearing a wolf's skin". Furthermore real wolves don't live in rainforests.

I should've added those beasts are known as capelobos in Latin America, which translates as something like "Bull wearing a wolf's skin". Furthermore real wolves don't live in rainforests.

Um, there aren't any rainforests in Wisconsin, it's way too cold for that. And there are real wolves in Wisconsin.

I know. I was just pointing that those ground sloth have a superficially wolf-like head and people mix them up with real wolves in Wisconsin. I have hard time imaginating a wild wolf walking bipedally without human training.

But Wisconsin does not have the right living conditions for sloths. I suppose it could happen, but to my understanding sloths live in the warm of central and south America for a good reason, because they can't hang with the cold. They don't seem to deal well with cool rain, let alone snow for several months of the year.

Besides, I've never heard anyone spotting a sloth in WI, but I have heard of spotting wolves, bears, and coyotes. I've seen all three. Or perhaps a confused badger sighting would be more realistic in WI.

Don't get me wrong, I think sloths are an excellent hypothesis for warmer regions. I just don't think it's a good explanation for the cold north.

Ok.. I guess ice age sloths might have survived to today to be seen... That would indeed be a rare thing to sight a critter thats been extinct for several thousand years. Though I would think a Megalonyx might be mistaken for a bear rather than a wolf.

Are you suggesting that extinct sloths are responsible for current werewolf sightings?

That's what this story is, a reported sighting of living creatures. If it had been a discovery of bones I might be more on board with the ancient sloth theory. I'm still pretty sure that currently living sloths would not be able to survive the wilds of Wisconsin.

Again, I think sloths are a great theory.. Just not a plausible one for this Wi sighting.

Are you suggesting that extinct sloths are responsible for current werewolf sightings?

Indeed, for American werewolves. That creature was also spotted in Pennsylvania :

http://www.stangordo...m-pennsylvania/

It was described to have a wolf-like head with a bear-like body shape. As for Megalonyx, I just used it as a precedent or an example, I am not sure whether or not the Werething belongs to this specific genus. However I am still confident groundsloth still roam North America, perhaps even different kinds... There is a sketch of a recent animal drawn here according to witness' description :

http://doloresmonet....sterofManorRoad

This creature's existence is more plausible than Bigfoot's IMO.