Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A slant on 'souls'

Bendy Demon

I was thinking about the topic of souls and how so many people believe we all have one.

So I got to thinking,if I am assuming for the moment that souls are real, I still do not think they are individualistic. Meaning that one souls is not differentiated from the next.

So I made an analogy that might help, let's take three household items; a computer, a vacuum cleaner and a mixer.

These objects each have their own functions, take them apart and you will see that their components are vastly different which allows them to perform their jobs.

One can see how each works, the wires, gears, circuits, etc.

However in order for them to function they need power which comes, usually, from a electrical cord which plugs into the wall outlet. The wall outlet supplies the electricity needed to make them work, right?

Now these objects have a sort of transformer, amongst other things, which regulates the power flow so each object doesn't get overloaded or underpowered and as you can tell, a computer cannot do what the vacuum or mixer can do and vice versa nor can you readily exchange parts between them and expect it to work properly.

But what about the electricity that powers them? Is the electricity suddenly different when you use the computer versus the mixer? Nope..it all comes from the same socket. The electricity that flowed through the outlet to power your computer is no different than the electricity that powers the mixer.

So I was thinking that perhaps it is the same thing with this whole 'soul' thing, the "electricity" that allows the body of a mouse to function is no different than the "electricity" that allows the human body to function. Certain components may vary but the power used is the same.

Now whether this "electricity" is separated from other units (bodies) is questionable but "maybe" it is possible for that particular battery (contained electricity) to absorb information and when it is released upon bodily death and returns to the power grid it "may" be possible that when it re-enters another unit (body) that this data might be added to the new body.

Where does this "electricity" come from? I wager it is drawn from the vast cosmological power station, the power is endlessy generated by the movements of planets, stars, black holes and so forth. Like a circle there is no beginning or end and the electricity can go wherever it goes. No commands needed and it need not pray or worship anything it passes. If it happens to be drawn to another planet or star then so be it. If the frequencies it contains are compatible with whatever it comes into contact with then it goes from there, if not then no biggie 'cause it doesn't have the capacity to care.

If you ever played Final Fantasy VII and seen that blurb on the "Life Stream" I suppose that might be applicable in some way.

Or..it could all be just some more esoteric bunkwaddles too....I mean, I just thought this stuff up when I was in bed listening to a cd so...whatever. It's an analogy so take it however you want, it's not like I am saying it is right.

• Like 3

One of the definitions of soul in the Merriam Webster is

a person's total self

or the sum of all your parts. The 'you' behind the curtains of the 'you' you know, which in reality, we know so little of ourselves, as no one really takes the time to truly 'know yourself'. Your core and essence. Call it a spiritual entity, call it your mind, it doesn't matter as much as realizing it is all that you really are. I don't think need for labeling of what a soul actually is is needed after this view.

To feel something in your soul is to feel it with all of your being, to sell your soul is to give away who you are, to bare your soul meaning to bare your inner self to someone, to give something heart and soul is to give your all to someone or something, etc. All those terms having to do with all of 'you'. Your soul.

With this mindset, the soul wouldn't really be an energy flowing through everything there is, whether that may exist or not. It is more of an undefinable essence of who you are as an individual. There may be another essence connecting all of these individual souls that we could call 'all that is'.

But my favorite definition of soul would still have to be:

a strong positive feeling (as of intense sensitivity and emotional fervor) conveyed especially by black American performers
Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

@Ryu: very good analogy ....... works for me! :tu:

Edited by ouija ouija

I think each spirit is still an individual entity.

• Like 1

Not that I believe in souls, but this concept sounds less like the mind or consciousness found in various religions and more like a power source.

If that is the case, it offers no afterlife.

Not that I believe in souls, but this concept sounds less like the mind or consciousness found in various religions and more like a power source.

If that is the case, it offers no afterlife.

Well..I didn't mean to imply I was making a case for an afterlife; I was merely saying that what we call a "soul" is really nothing more than a contained packet of general energy which allows the body to function which includes all the chemical processes that produce things like thoughts and such.

I didn't mean to imply there was some singular source but rather the vastness of the universe is, i guess, a sort of power generator.

I guess I should write things more carefully. :)

What bothers me about the whole concept of soul, is what is going on with the soul in people with major brain damage. I have been around many people who's brains are gone, such as with Alzheimer's. Where have they gone and what has happen to their "soul"?

I really don't know. In the case of severely brain damaged people it seems that they are mere shells and maybe that "spark" is too weak to maintain anything so the body is kept alive through all those machines.

I just don't know. Maybe in some cases only a fragment of that "spark" remains only because the body is still functioning and the rest of that energy, no longer needed for anything, simply dissipates, much like static electricity.

Well..I didn't mean to imply I was making a case for an afterlife; I was merely saying that what we call a "soul" is really nothing more than a contained packet of general energy which allows the body to function which includes all the chemical processes that produce things like thoughts and such.

I didn't mean to imply there was some singular source but rather the vastness of the universe is, i guess, a sort of power generator.

I guess I should write things more carefully. :)

It's going to come into discussion no matter how physically you explain it. You're connecting a non physical idea to physical explanations.

Hi, Ryu... and everyone else, of course...

I just posted the following in completely another thread... synchronicity, perhaps...

I believe the brain is the socket, a biological device that allows soul (and the soul is true me, my essential mind) to connect to material world.

Just my own belief, ask me for no proof because there is no objective proof, only my totally subjective perception of my own existence.

Edit: damn, my socket is not that good lately...

That would imply people with brain damage and Alzheimer and such are disconnected from their own bodies to more-less devastating for this world extent. Maybe they are still what they used to be, but not in there, in their bodies.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

What bothers me about the whole concept of soul, is what is going on with the soul in people with major brain damage. I have been around many people who's brains are gone, such as with Alzheimer's. Where have they gone and what has happen to their "soul"?

I think/guess(but don't know, obviously), that the soul is still intact and functioning normally ...... observing. This is why we should treat them well. We should address their souls, which are still normal.

• Like 2

Hi. This OP is similar to my very shaky theory of life,the universe & everything..

I kind of see us humanity as small pockets of focused consciousness experiancing small portions of reality. But we all belong to a single consciousness. The way I figure it;

Brain=Vehicle, senses & meaty bits,

Soul=individual Mind & Ego,

Consiousness is the universal self or energy that allows it all to happen.

Brain, Soul & Consiousness are seperatet things, not to be mistaken for each other but working together to create & experience reality.

To put it another way,

Brain = Computer system, keyboard, monitor, speekers, mouse.

Soul = Software, a game, a program that is run in the computer.

Consiousness = The electricity that allows it all to work.

Reality = Brain+Soul+Consiousness.

Edited by Professor T

It's going to come into discussion no matter how physically you explain it. You're connecting a non physical idea to physical explanations.

What makes you think his idea is non-physical?

What makes you think his idea is non-physical?

He didn't create the idea I was referring to. The idea of a soul. He's just putting his individual slant on it. I know I shouldn't need to define the word soul for you here. But anyway, I don't think his physical analogy was meant to be taken.. physically, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by _Only

I was thinking about the topic of souls and how so many people believe we all have one.

So I got to thinking,if I am assuming for the moment that souls are real, I still do not think they are individualistic. Meaning that one souls is not differentiated from the next.

So I made an analogy that might help, let's take three household items; a computer, a vacuum cleaner and a mixer.

These objects each have their own functions, take them apart and you will see that their components are vastly different which allows them to perform their jobs.

One can see how each works, the wires, gears, circuits, etc.

However in order for them to function they need power which comes, usually, from a electrical cord which plugs into the wall outlet. The wall outlet supplies the electricity needed to make them work, right?

Now these objects have a sort of transformer, amongst other things, which regulates the power flow so each object doesn't get overloaded or underpowered and as you can tell, a computer cannot do what the vacuum or mixer can do and vice versa nor can you readily exchange parts between them and expect it to work properly.

But what about the electricity that powers them? Is the electricity suddenly different when you use the computer versus the mixer? Nope..it all comes from the same socket. The electricity that flowed through the outlet to power your computer is no different than the electricity that powers the mixer.

So I was thinking that perhaps it is the same thing with this whole 'soul' thing, the "electricity" that allows the body of a mouse to function is no different than the "electricity" that allows the human body to function. Certain components may vary but the power used is the same.

Now whether this "electricity" is separated from other units (bodies) is questionable but "maybe" it is possible for that particular battery (contained electricity) to absorb information and when it is released upon bodily death and returns to the power grid it "may" be possible that when it re-enters another unit (body) that this data might be added to the new body.

Where does this "electricity" come from? I wager it is drawn from the vast cosmological power station, the power is endlessy generated by the movements of planets, stars, black holes and so forth. Like a circle there is no beginning or end and the electricity can go wherever it goes. No commands needed and it need not pray or worship anything it passes. If it happens to be drawn to another planet or star then so be it. If the frequencies it contains are compatible with whatever it comes into contact with then it goes from there, if not then no biggie 'cause it doesn't have the capacity to care.

If you ever played Final Fantasy VII and seen that blurb on the "Life Stream" I suppose that might be applicable in some way.

Or..it could all be just some more esoteric bunkwaddles too....I mean, I just thought this stuff up when I was in bed listening to a cd so...whatever. It's an analogy so take it however you want, it's not like I am saying it is right.

The thing here is that you are trying to explain/compare the soul in objective/physical terms which it does not exist in.

He didn't create the idea I was referring to. The idea of a soul. He's just putting his individual slant on it. I know I shouldn't need to define the word soul for you here. But anyway, I don't think his physical analogy was meant to be taken.. physically, correct me if I'm wrong.

Saying stars and planets generate this energy makes it sound pretty physical in my understanding.

OP: Absolutely one of the most enjoyable pieces to read we share some of the same bases but both have our variables :D

I think each spirit is still an individual entity.

Ghosts in the machine. There are a major percentage that follow the manufacturing line, I think self exploration into the world of meta and out of the normal. The cases of actual "individuality" the people are usually outcasts if they are not swayed back to the factory. (No I'm not trying to slot the Matrix theory into here, "analogy")

Hi. This OP is similar to my very shaky theory of life,the universe & everything..

I kind of see us humanity as small pockets of focused consciousness experiancing small portions of reality. But we all belong to a single consciousness. The way I figure it;

Brain=Vehicle, senses & meaty bits,

Soul=individual Mind & Ego,

Consiousness is the universal self or energy that allows it all to happen.

Brain, Soul & Consiousness are seperatet things, not to be mistaken for each other but working together to create & experience reality.

To put it another way,

Brain = Computer system, keyboard, monitor, speekers, mouse.

Soul = Software, a game, a program that is run in the computer.

Consiousness = The electricity that allows it all to work.

Reality = Brain+Soul+Consiousness.

To a certain degree I follow you, but I feel you do not leave room certain aspects of the human species or even animals to that point. I would more point to the pineal gland following through to the nervous system is where the soul resides, not fixed but resides.

Hence we experience out of body, near death, astrotraveling, as well as Synchronicity. Too much to account for to be an opinion of one. This could also base the feeling of those who start to look at the world beneath the eye, the as most call it "I'm not from here" feeling, alot of people have it if not everyone at some stage in their life, it is then the tipping pinnacle for how the rest of your days will layout. Will you submit and be a drone or will you explore the unknown (no matter the field of unknown subjects).

• Like 2

The cosmos is filled with energy frequencies off al sorts form gamma to microwave and so on.

Energy has its effects to some degree on various objects and like a circle all energies seem to have some manner of..I don't know..a symbiotic relationship of sorts.

Let me put it this way, heat, as we know it, is generated by other processes, right? It can only travel via another means; the sun probably generates heat BUT is possibly restricted to the sun's own "atmosphere" however the energy it produces strikes our planet and one of the manifested by-products is heat.

Anyways yes..I am saying that all energy, including the ambiguous 'soul" is generated by the millions of processes that are ongoing in the cosmos. I do not think there is this special utopia where souls go and I really do not think that the soul has the capacity to do anything except act as a sort of battery to jump-start the body and help keep it going.

Of course I could be wrong and so could all the other philosophies out there be it religious or not. But so far none of these ideas really make any sense to me.

P.S: I am no scientist so if some of what I say about space is a bit off then that is why.

• Like 1