Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Learner drivers must take tests in English

Still Waters

Immigrants will be banned from taking driving tests in Urdu, Polish and all other foreign languages under plans to be unveiled next month.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin ordered the crackdown to stop rogue interpreters helping people who cannot speak English cheat their way to a UK driving licence by telling them the answers to questions in both the theory and practical tests.

More than 850 test passes have been revoked since 2009, while nine interpreters have been banned.

http://www.dailymail...ges-banned.html

So they should.

I think if you live in UK or any other country for that matter, you should learn that language.

• Like 2

So they should.

I think if you live in UK or any other country for that matter, you should learn that language.

You know what they should do apart from enforcing this.

They could get a private detective who's fluent in the revelant language to check up on the interpreter and learner.

If the private detective feels like both of them are conspiring to get a driving license by nefarious means then they can get it rescinded.

I think it's a little bit drastic to have everybody learning English because there's means and ways.

And our road signs can be seen in any country within the EU so that's an other barmy decision from our esteemed government.

It's not as if you can make out any type of language on them so the danger applies to all regardless if you are fluent in English.

Edited by Medium Brown

I think IMO if you live in England. Then you should learn english.

It's like living in Germany and not learning German.It's quite silly.

it's important to learn a language otherwise if they need the police or doctors.

there pretty much screwed

• Like 1

Simple solution:

1. The Theory part of the exam can be given in any language (most european languages) and does not need an "Interpreter" present. If you not speak any European language then you cannot take the exam

2..Candidates must understand sufficient English (only) in the Practical Exam to understand the directions given, again no "Interpreters" to be present

This is how it is done in Spain, and it works very well for the English speaking communities.